I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 06:58:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  What pets do you have? Feel free to post pics!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 84 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What pets do you have? Feel free to post pics!  (Read 413613 times)
highlite36

« Reply #475 on: August 17, 2007, 08:47:53 PM »

Not too long ago, a relative of mine lost her kidneys and began PD as well.  Her DOCTOR told her that she could have NO PETS!  Or plants either for that matter....so she got rid of her pets!!!!  When my mother found out what my cousin's doctor had told her, she PANICKED and said that I needed to get rid of my dog because it was unhealthy for me to have pets.  I have NEVER heard of ANYTHING like that from my doctors and I told her that she needed to get the full truth from somebody, because the last thing that I was going to do was get rid of my dog!!!  My puppy has been the BEST therapy for me since losing the transplant.  He's been there when I've been alone and he is the ONLY one who is willing to sit with me while I'm dialyzing.  My dog is my best friend and companion and would never leave me for a moment!  I had to tell my cousin, who really fought me about the dog, and my mother that they could just stick a sock in it, because I don't believe that having a dog could harm me in any way.  I realize that there are certain precautions that I have to take because I have a dog.  I obviously don't let him in the room when I am hooking up and obviously I have to be careful of where I put all of my trash.....  But not having my dog would be cruel and unfair.  Oh, and by the way....  meet Gilbert Francis....  He's half shih tzu, half bichon frise and will answer to "Doodle" and "Peanut."

ESRD February 2002
Transplant from living non-related donor November 7, 2002
Lost transplant April 2005
Diagnosed with Heart Failure February 2006
Currently on Peritoneal Dialysis, awaiting to be well enough to FINALLY get placed
on the Transplant List.  :-)  I can't wait!!!!
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #476 on: August 17, 2007, 09:00:31 PM »

Cute puppy's!

I am going to buy each one of my kids their own fish tanks tomorrow for their bedrooms... i'll post pics once their filled and fish are in them. :)

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #477 on: August 17, 2007, 09:03:45 PM »

Can't wait to see the fishies !

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #478 on: August 17, 2007, 09:18:23 PM »

Not too long ago, a relative of mine lost her kidneys and began PD as well.  Her DOCTOR told her that she could have NO PETS! 

You do not have to get rid of (most) pets, but you do need to take some precautions. Some animals are higher risk than others. When I was still in hospital after having my transplant, I asked one of the senior doctors there, whose opinion I value greatly. He basically said NO - do NOT get rid of your dogs (not that I was going to - it simply isn't an option!), but just don't let them sleep on your bed and things like that. I don't let my dogs on the bed anyway, so that wasn't an issue.

For more info on this subject, there's plenty here (particularly the first link), which I was kindly directed to when I asked about this subject also:

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=558.0

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=3502.0

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #479 on: August 18, 2007, 08:24:41 PM »

I shall try to re-take the pics tomorrow with a digital camera, but these are from my cell phone and in the dark with the tank lights on. Aryianna got a purple tank, and pink and green rocks, and pink plants and green plants and 6 Neon Tetras. Jonathan has a blue tank, blue and green rocks, blue and green plants and decor and 6 Neon Tetras. I shall buy each of them 6 more Neon Tetras next Saturday and 1 feeder for each.

highlite36

« Reply #480 on: August 18, 2007, 09:11:28 PM »

I was going to say that you oughta try and name each one of them.......  but then I realized that's a lot of fish and they all look the same!!!!  No need to remember which one is which.....LOL!!!!   YAYYY FISH!!!!

ESRD February 2002
Currently on Peritoneal Dialysis, awaiting to be well enough to FINALLY get placed
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #481 on: August 18, 2007, 10:35:31 PM »

Angela, Can you tell me the secret to keeping the fish alive. My son has a fancy tank (Jebo) but the fish keep dying aahhhhhh. What am I doing wrong?   :urcrazy;

Our Bird and dog are just fine.  ;D

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #482 on: August 19, 2007, 08:35:51 AM »

We named one fish my daughter had DD for Don't Die Fish.  It died. Poor fish. She had it as a project from school. Made me go buy it a real aquarium.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Jill D.

« Reply #483 on: August 19, 2007, 12:52:42 PM »

Dee, your puppy is adorable!

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #484 on: August 19, 2007, 02:21:40 PM »

Dee, your puppy is absolutely adorable, i am so glad you didnt listen to them about getting rid of your pets, i do PD and i have a cat, so far, no problems either  :2thumbsup; (knocks on wood)  May i ask where you got Gilbert Francis (Doodle/Peanut) too cute  :bow;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #485 on: August 19, 2007, 02:56:51 PM »

Angela, Can you tell me the secret to keeping the fish alive. My son has a fancy tank (Jebo) but the fish keep dying aahhhhhh. What am I doing wrong?   :urcrazy;

Our Bird and dog are just fine.  ;D

Idunno... only had them 1 day so far... LOL. I bought 6 each for each tank, well, I can only find 5 in my daughter's... idunno if the other one is just hiding or... the UFO's got him. :p

highlite36

« Reply #486 on: August 20, 2007, 07:12:06 PM »

Dee, your puppy is absolutely adorable, i am so glad you didnt listen to them about getting rid of your pets, i do PD and i have a cat, so far, no problems either  :2thumbsup; (knocks on wood)  May i ask where you got Gilbert Francis (Doodle/Peanut) too cute  :bow;

I got Gilbert in May 2006 after I graduated from college.  He was my graduation gift.  My neighbor had purchased Gilbert's older brother about a year before from a friend of her's who raised teddybears.  When I saw her dog I knew that I wanted one of them.  So when the next litter came, I got him.  I wish I could give you more details, but I really don't even know who the orginal owners of the parents are..... 

ESRD February 2002
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #487 on: August 21, 2007, 01:53:28 AM »

Not too long ago, a relative of mine lost her kidneys and began PD as well.  Her DOCTOR told her that she could have NO PETS!  Or plants either for that matter....so she got rid of her pets!!!!  When my mother found out what my cousin's doctor had told her, she PANICKED and said that I needed to get rid of my dog because it was unhealthy for me to have pets.  I have NEVER heard of ANYTHING like that from my doctors and I told her that she needed to get the full truth from somebody, because the last thing that I was going to do was get rid of my dog!!!  My puppy has been the BEST therapy for me since losing the transplant.  He's been there when I've been alone and he is the ONLY one who is willing to sit with me while I'm dialyzing.  My dog is my best friend and companion and would never leave me for a moment!  I had to tell my cousin, who really fought me about the dog, and my mother that they could just stick a sock in it, because I don't believe that having a dog could harm me in any way.  I realize that there are certain precautions that I have to take because I have a dog.  I obviously don't let him in the room when I am hooking up and obviously I have to be careful of where I put all of my trash.....  But not having my dog would be cruel and unfair.  Oh, and by the way....  meet Gilbert Francis....  He's half shih tzu, half bichon frise and will answer to "Doodle" and "Peanut."
Dee your puppy is CUTE! Also a spitting image of our shi --babie ( In this picture, he had just finished a dish a spaghetti)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 02:20:30 AM by Joe Paul » Logged

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
highlite36

« Reply #488 on: August 21, 2007, 11:49:32 AM »

Dee your puppy is CUTE! Also a spitting image of our shi --babie ( In this picture, he had just finished a dish a spaghetti)

OMG!  Our puppies look exactly alike!!!  They even have the same blonde ears!!!  :-)

EDITED:  Fixed quote tag error - Goofynina/Admin.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 11:51:17 AM by goofynina » Logged

ESRD February 2002
brenda

« Reply #489 on: August 22, 2007, 10:26:17 AM »

1st Pic: If you can't find Lauralie's soother ask Nelly!!!

2nd Pic: A red Breasted Nuthatch has taken up residence at my pond.

3rd Pic: WhiteTail Doe taking shelter under the deck.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #490 on: August 22, 2007, 10:29:48 AM »

Awww Brenda, those are awesome pics girlfriend,  i especially love the one with Nelly and the soother, too cute,   :clap;   After you took the pic of the deer, did it stay or did it run away?  It looks quite comfy there (just curious) :P

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
brenda

« Reply #491 on: August 22, 2007, 10:31:34 AM »

It was storming outside, so it was quite happy to just stay where it was.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #492 on: August 22, 2007, 05:17:32 PM »

Love Nellie with the dummie too cute. (thats want aussies call soothers) :ausflag;

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #493 on: August 25, 2007, 08:44:59 PM »

All the fishies died. I asked Walmart what was up with that because I know how to care for fish and there is no way they should of ALL died. They said there fish are sik.. i'm like THEN WHY ARE YOU SELLING THEM?? Geez. I'm going to Petco Monday to get them new ones.

Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #494 on: August 26, 2007, 02:23:13 AM »

:(
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #495 on: August 26, 2007, 04:28:10 AM »

Brenda Nelly is SO cute!

Sorry about the fish Angela..... i had 2 fish for 10 years..... i believe they were the longest lived fish in Sydney.  :lol; The secret to keeping them alive.... I'm not to sure.. i think it was just luck!   :-\
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #496 on: August 26, 2007, 08:43:35 AM »

Angela, if you can live with only one fish, try a beta (the really pretty ones with all the fins, also known as fighting fish). My son got one for Christmas and it's still alive. We only have to feed it every two-three days. Only problem is it kills anything else we put in the tank with it (including a female beta and snails).

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #497 on: August 26, 2007, 11:32:58 AM »

Angela, if you can live with only one fish, try a beta (the really pretty ones with all the fins, also known as fighting fish). My son got one for Christmas and it's still alive. We only have to feed it every two-three days. Only problem is it kills anything else we put in the tank with it (including a female beta and snails).

I was thinking about them.. they are pretty. :)

Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #498 on: August 27, 2007, 06:33:36 AM »

There aren't called fighting fish for nothing.  The will even try to attack other betas in other bowls sitting nearby at the petstore.  They are good fish to have and we have had them for years, just don't give them a companion and they will be fine.

It's not easy being green.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #499 on: August 27, 2007, 12:34:09 PM »

So, I bought my children their new fish today. They haven't seen them yet as they are still at school. I bet they will be excited though..

Here is a pic, the reddish-purple one is my daughters. The blue one is my sons.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 84 Go Up Print 
« previous next »