I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2024, 09:47:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  What pets do you have? Feel free to post pics!
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 84 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What pets do you have? Feel free to post pics!  (Read 413478 times)
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1025 on: March 19, 2008, 09:44:25 AM »

Mikey, She's beautiful!

I wanted to let the dog owners know about a new food we just started feeding Lucky. It's called Evo, and it has more protein than the normal dog foods that you buy, and less cereal filler. Of course, since dogs are, by nature hunters, their traditional diet (what their bodies are built to use) is mostly protein. We just started feeding it to him about a week ago, and have noticed a huge difference!

We had been feeding him Science Diet for sensitive stomachs, and he was throwing up a couple of times a week. My husband was talking to a co-worker about it, and he reccommended the Evo, and gave us some to try him out on. Not only has he stopped throwing up, but his coat is shinier and softer; his eyes have more sparkle to them; and he has way more energy.

It's a bit more expensive than what we had been feeding him, but since we don't have to feed him as much, it actually costs about the same per meal as the Science Diet. We found the Evo at a locally owned pet supply store. Just a thought, if any of your dogs start having problems with the regular brands that you buy in the stores.

When I was in vet tech classes and at clinic, most dogs did not like Science Diet. While I worked at a vet, they only used Science Diet special formula blends when the animal was ill or after surgery, but the res got something else. I remember when I had my dog and compared dog food ingredients, Science Diet had protein ingredients lower on the list. Some dogs can tolerate it, some dogs don't. I remember one time I forgot to buy dog food and went to the grocery store to get something. That's was a mistake, a lot of clean up afterwards on both ends. That's why they say to slowly introduce new food instead of just plain out switching I guess. I haven't heard or seen  Evo yet, but also missed the annual pet expo they have in Chicago. I'll have to look it up when I get home tonight from classes for a puppy blend when we do get our puppy home.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #1026 on: March 19, 2008, 11:14:08 AM »

Just a warning! If your dog has even early signs of kidney problems, DO NOT feed them this food. They can't eat all that protein. But I'm sure you know that!  ;)

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #1027 on: March 20, 2008, 07:00:31 AM »

I wanted to let the dog owners know about a new food we just started feeding Lucky. It's called Evo, and it has more protein than the normal dog foods that you buy, and less cereal filler.

It's a bit more expensive than what we had been feeding him, but since we don't have to feed him as much, it actually costs about the same per meal as the Science Diet. We found the Evo at a locally owned pet supply store. Just a thought, if any of your dogs start having problems with the regular brands that you buy in the stores.

I haven't heard or seen  Evo yet, but also missed the annual pet expo they have in Chicago. I'll have to look it up when I get home tonight from classes for a puppy blend when we do get our puppy home.

Evo is fantastic stuff.  We buy both the dog and cat formulas for our animals.  It's is much pricier but the benefits seem to outway to cost.

It's not easy being green.
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #1028 on: March 20, 2008, 07:29:57 AM »

Thanks guys. I'm going to try and find Evo for our dogs and cat. Our cat is 15 and it is starting to show it and we feed the yorkies science diet (vet recommended). Me of all people didn't even read the labels on pet food. I will now. Thanks again, and Willie, Winnie and Mouse say thank you too.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #1029 on: March 20, 2008, 12:24:28 PM »

If you go to http://www.evopet.com/where-to-buy/ you can find locations in your area that sell it.  This is part of EVO's website to make it easier for people to find their product.

It's not easy being green.
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #1030 on: March 21, 2008, 08:07:45 PM »

Just a warning! If your dog has even early signs of kidney problems, DO NOT feed them this food. They can't eat all that protein. But I'm sure you know that!  ;)

Yeah, I know! I had a kitty pass away years ago due to diabetes, which we didn't know he had, and by the end, his kidneys had just stopped working. It was so sad...he was 14 pounds at his top weight (and NOT fat!) and got down around 7 or 8  :'( Miss him lots (and he died close to twenty years ago).

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1031 on: March 21, 2008, 08:24:14 PM »

Must of had been a tough day and had to much to drink. :rofl;

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #1032 on: March 22, 2008, 07:22:28 AM »

LOL!!!!   :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Chris, I love cat pictures like that!!! I have two fluffy cats, and one is just plain FAT!!!!  I love it!!! And when they do poses like that, it is just about adorable!!!
You just wanna nuzzle that furry belly!!!!
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #1033 on: March 22, 2008, 07:57:24 AM »

Thanks Hawkeye. There's 3 places that sell it locally. Going to go next week and get some.

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1034 on: March 22, 2008, 05:03:26 PM »

If you go to http://www.evopet.com/where-to-buy/ you can find locations in your area that sell it.  This is part of EVO's website to make it easier for people to find their product.
After I stopped posting last night, well real early this morning, I went to the website. Turns out there are a couple places near me.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1035 on: March 23, 2008, 12:21:50 PM »

Yes, it's a real photo and that is a quarter in the picture! My sister found a hatchling from her desert tortoise and is letting me adopt it!
It is so tiny, it will need to be kept indoors for a couple years until it's larger enough that birds cannot carry it off. It will eventually be about 12 inches in length. We already have 3 adult tortoises that are about 15 to 20 years old.
We need to think of a name and get a home ready for the new baby!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #1036 on: March 23, 2008, 12:24:31 PM »

awwww!! I did NOT know they start off so tiny!!!  Let us know its name, and how you'll keep it safe!!

KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #1037 on: March 23, 2008, 12:30:17 PM »

How cute, Karol! I fell in love with sea turtles when I lived in NC, and it's pretty much extended to all turtles now.

~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1038 on: March 23, 2008, 12:31:21 PM »

You could call it Tiny Tim.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1039 on: March 23, 2008, 03:28:51 PM »

Wow, never pictured them that small. I'm use to the ones they show on the Discovery Channel racing out to the ocean.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1040 on: March 24, 2008, 08:54:43 AM »

That is so cute :) so small!! gorgeous :)

Not sure about a name though hmmm.... Tiny Tim is a good idea though.. but we don't want this one (er.. do they have genders?) to ever be a cripple!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1041 on: March 24, 2008, 10:59:13 AM »

The baby's mama is named ZsaZsa, a Mojave Desert Tortoise, age unknown. My sister has had her over 25 years so we think she is about 40.

More info:
Their lifespan is 80-100 years.
Desert Tortoises don't reach sexual maturity for 15 to 20 years.
Males have shallow depressions in their lower shells while the females' lower shell is flat. Most people can not tell the difference between male and female until they are 15 to 20 years old or eight inches in length.
The tortoise is able to live where ground temperature may exceed 140 degrees F.
They go to water only to drink or bathe. Tortoises do not have bodies designed for swimming.
Adult tortoises may survive a year or more without access to water.
Females store sperm and egg laying occurs May, June and July.
Hatchlings from only a few eggs out of every hundred actually make it to adulthood.
To make the most of infrequent rainfall, tortoises dig catchment basins in the soil, remember where these are, and may be found waiting by them when rain appears imminent. Water that reaches the bladder is not lost to the system but can be drawn upon as needed.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 11:06:37 AM by okarol » Logged

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #1042 on: March 24, 2008, 11:07:50 AM »

:thumbup; I learn something new everyday on IHD. Thanks okarol, that is interesting.

skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #1043 on: March 25, 2008, 12:15:13 PM »

Here's a pic of our new puppy Scooby Doo (my son named him)!  He's 4.5 months old here, but we got him when he was 11 weeks old.  He's a Redbone Coonhound mix, not sure what the other mix is, but we think he is all hound.  He was a rescue from North Carolina sent up here to Mass. All of our dogs have been rescue dogs.  Since Skye died, Luke was so sad and depressed, he missed his sister.  Now Luke and Scooby play with each other all the time, it's so fun to see.  Here's Scooby and then Scooby and Luke.

Oops, I don't know how to make my pictures smaller, they are huge!

EDITED: Resized photos - okarol/admin
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 12:03:33 PM by okarol » Logged

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #1044 on: March 25, 2008, 12:29:43 PM »

OMG! He's absolutely adorable!  :big hug:  I see some Lab in him, especially the muzzle and ears. Can't wait to see the 2 dogs together (once the pic is smaller  ;))!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #1045 on: March 25, 2008, 12:35:41 PM »

awwwww!!!! He is about adorable!!!!!! 
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #1046 on: March 25, 2008, 06:32:27 PM »

Too cute! Thanks for sharing!

~~~~~~~
mikey07840
Elite Member

Her royal highness Queen Ruth on her throne, RIP

« Reply #1047 on: March 25, 2008, 08:27:28 PM »

Very cute. Thanks for sharing!

Mike  :bandance;

06/85 Diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes
10/04 Radical Nephrectomy (Kidney Cancer or renal cell carcinoma)
02/08 Started Hemodialysis
04/08 Started Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD)
05/08 Started CCPD (my cycler: The little box of alarms)
07/09 AV Fistula and Permacath added, PD catheter removed. PD discontinued and Hemodialysis resumed
08/09 AV Fistula redone higher up on arm, first one did not work
07/11 Mass found on remaining kidney
08/11 Radical Nephrectomy, confirmed that mass was renal cell carcinoma
12/12 Whipple, mass on pancreas confirmed as renal cell carcinoma

• Don't Knock on Death's door; Ring the bell and run away. Death hates that.

• I'm not a complete Idiot -- some parts are missing.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #1048 on: March 26, 2008, 11:15:39 AM »

Luke & Scooby look so cute together! I set the picture as my desktop wallpaper! 

skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #1049 on: March 26, 2008, 11:48:41 AM »

Luke & Scooby look so cute together! I set the picture as my desktop wallpaper!

Thanks!  They are my wallpaper too!  So sorry for the HUGE pic, I don't know how to make it smaller,this is a new camera.

Luke is at the vet right now, he's on his 2nd round of Heartworm treatment.  He got Heartworm disease while being on Heartguard!  My poor baby! The hard part is keeping them away from each other when Luke comes home.  They love to play!

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 84 Go Up Print 
« previous next »