I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 04:34:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  My mom got her kidney!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My mom got her kidney!  (Read 15233 times)
Beth36

« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2008, 07:00:36 PM »

Well, my mom has had a setback.  Her creatnine went up to 1.7 from 1.0 and Mayo was concerned.  She had a kidney ultrasound and it was discovered that she has a blockage in her kidney.  So, she's in the hospital and will have to have a tube put in her kidney some time next week.  She is so depressed and has horrible mood swings from the prednisone.  My dad says she's gotten the dreaded moon face and is really self-conscious about it.  It's just been such a stessful thing and my parents are so tired.  I wish I could help more but I do talk to my mom every day and try to cheer her up as well as my dad.  I'm so upset about it that I can't talk to my hubby about it because he doesn't understand how serious a kidney transplant really is.  All her other levels are doing well and there are no signs of rejection but it's just so so stressful...ugh...thanks for reading.

Beth

Mom had positive crossmatch transplant at Mayo Clinic on 6/13/08!!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2008, 07:04:21 PM »

So sorry Beth. It's good they are responding quickly and hopefully she will be fine. The few first months can be scary but in most cases things work out. Take care of yourself and your babies! Best wishes!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2008, 07:22:28 PM »

Hopefully they will be take care of your mom quickly and get her on the road to fully healing so that she can enjoy her new kidney.  Do be sure to take care of yourself, too.  :cuddle;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Beth36

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2008, 07:42:17 PM »

Thank you!!  I'm just starting to get depressed because my mom is depressed and my dad is worried.  I am the only one who really knows what is going on (I'm the oldest of the 4 of the kids) and my mom knows I read everything I could on the internet once we found out she was in need of a transplant, etc....she just keeps telling me she knows this is her only chance and I just want to cry, well, I actually do but don't let her know that.  I guess it's because I'm the oldest but I just want to fix things and make them better and I know I physically can't do that and it drives me nuts.  I'm not normally a control freak but I just want my mom to be OK.  Hopefully I'll know something soon.  The babies are fine and very active....I know I won't sleep for a looooooooooooooooooooooong time once they do get here!

Beth

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2008, 08:52:56 PM »

I don't know about you, but each time I was pregnant I was SO emotional! Things hit me harder. Even movies made me a wreck, if they were sad. This is a big deal, what you've experienced with your mom. Add the pregnancy and the emotions have got to be at an all time high! You're going to worry anyway, but try not to let it drag you down. We are here for you!  :cuddle;

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2008, 12:06:11 AM »

I'm thinking of you and your Mom as well as the rest of the family Beth and hoping that everything gets resolved with her setback.  Take good care of yourself and be sure to get lots of rest. :cuddle;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2008, 08:56:42 AM »

Dear Beth, I remember your very first post and immediately related to you and your Mom.  I do think some forget that a transplant is a very huge thing to experience. It isn't always a walk in the park. You are so informed and that is a great help to your Mom.   I am so sorry your Mom is having problems. I have been living vicariously through her whole transplant journey.  I am sure she just wants to feel like her old self and be healthy when those two grandbabies are born.  I pray soon she gets to a point where things level off and everything stabilizes.  She has the best doctor's and a wonderful family to lean on.  You are doing a great job and I think you are incredible.  Take care of yourself and those sweet babies.  We are all here when you need us :grouphug;  Please let us know how your Mom does. :cuddle; :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2008, 09:30:28 AM »

:cuddle; Beth. I hope your Mom is doing better and you can get some rest before these babies are born. Thinking about you and continue to pray that things turn the corner.  :grouphug;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
Beth36

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2008, 12:30:20 PM »

Thank you so much!  I don't know what I would do without this site!  You are such wonderfully generous people, it is very comforting to know I have a place to talk about it and not worry my mom or family.  They get worried when I get worried, so I have to always keep a brave face so no one freaks out.  I think my hormones are magnified by a million at this point because everything makes me cry or pisses me off but usually it makes me cry and my hubby and son are thankful for that!  They know if mama's not happy, nobody is happy.  I trained my men well.  No word today, mom didn't answer her cell phone and I don't know what room she's in to call, so I'll wait until they call me.  I will most definitely keep y'all posted when I know something.  I'm doing everything I can to get rest and stay out of the heat so these two little ones will be in the oven for a long time and healthy when they're ready to come out!  Thanks again, everyone it means a lot to me to be able to come here and get it all out!!!

:grouphug;

Beth

Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2008, 07:22:25 PM »

Beth, a few months ago my doctors thought there was a blockage. They did a nephrostogram (probably spelled it wrong). It was just slow drainage. I'll keep my fingers crossed. The first year or so is full of ups and downs. Best of luck to Mom. Glad your little ones are coming along well.  :cuddle;
Beth36

« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2008, 08:49:39 PM »

Thank you Romona.  I told my mom and dad that there is a lot of adjusting to do during the first six months to a year.  That meds have to be tweaked and levels have to be checked closely and it's making her feel more confident.  It's just hard to hear all the depression because it stresses me out to some degree, I hate to say it like that because I would do anything for my family.  I just wish that I could do more but I know she's in good hands and I have a feeling things will be OK, it's just so hard right now.  She's having surgery next week and I'm glad it's something they can at least fix, so that makes me feel better.  I appreciate all the support I have gotten here.  Thanks again!

Beth

Beth36

« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2008, 09:42:32 AM »

Well, I don't know where to begin...her surgery went well on Monday but they nicked an artery.  They didn't do anything yesterday and this morning when my mom woke up to take a shower, her catheter bag was full of blood.  She's been sent to have an ultrasound to see if there is any internal bleeding.  The doctor said the kidney is doing great but since her blood pressure is up and her creatnine is 1.4 still, he said it's telling them something isn't working right still.  So, she will likely have to have surgery again today I guess to repair the artery and she told my dad that she didn't have a good feeling about this at all.  My dad is really upset and I am so scared right now I don't know what to do.  I had a bad feeling when I woke up this morning and I just hope they can fix whatever is wrong.  We were so excited about this transplant and now it seems there have been nothing but problems ever since.  UGH!

Beth

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2008, 09:54:27 AM »

:cuddle; So sorry Beth. Please let us know how she's doing.

xtrememoosetrax

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2008, 10:59:42 AM »

Sorry to hear this, Beth. How difficult for all of you. I will be praying for you and your family and hoping that this is just a temporary setback. Hang in there, and please continue to keep us posted. :cuddle; :grouphug;

Living donor to friend via 3-way paired exchange on July 30, 2008.

www.paireddonation.org
www.caringbridge.org/visit/marthahansen
Beth36

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2008, 11:49:25 AM »

Thank you, I will post when I hear from my dad.  He doesn't know when anything will happen and I told him I would call him later this afternoon.  They had to give her 3 units of blood yesterday and she isn't wanting to talk on the phone because she's a bit tired and depressed.  I really do hope this is minor because everything else is going so well.  What a rollercoaster.

Beth

willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2008, 12:11:22 PM »

Good Lord Beth. I will say a prayer for your Mom. We have also been on this rollercoaster and it just sucks. Take care and let us know when you hear something.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2008, 05:16:34 PM »

Oh Beth I'm so sorry to hear this.  Let us know how things go and you know that you all have so many of us here pulling for your Mom and the while family for that matter. :grouphug;

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »

Hopefully they will get this under control and then everything will start to improve.  My dad was bleeding after open heart surgery last year and they had to open him up again.  They fixed it and he he has been fine.  I will be keeping your family and especially your mom in my thoughts and prayers.  :cuddle;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Beth36

« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2008, 06:23:50 PM »

I took some Zantac and talked to my dad.  He told me that the surgeon came into the room and told them it was a stupid mistake for him to have nicked the artery and he apologized.  They stitched it on Monday and were monitoring it.  The ultrasound my mom had this morning showed it was fine and the kidney was fine.  He also said the tube they put in her kidney was working well.  And the best news we could ever get was that her antibodies are low....lower than they were before her transplant.  So, things are going great.  I just wish I could be there to relieve my dad.  He is worn out and it is taking a toll on him.  This has totally been an up and down situation.....transplants are NOT for the faint of heart!!  Thank you so so so much for the support.  It means a lot to me!!

Beth

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2008, 06:33:57 PM »

Thank you Beth, for the update. I was so worried but it sounds much better. Hopefully your dad can rest a bit now. Even with no complications, the first few weeks are a rollercoaster of checking labs, crash-course learning and worrying. I am saying another prayer for your mom.  :cuddle;

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2008, 07:01:42 PM »

Beth, this is really, really good news.  But, I feel bad for your dad.  I know that I was totally exhausted after Stephen had his transplant and I didn't have any of the major ups and downs to deal with like your dad is.  It's bound to be exhausting simply because you have adrenalin pumping into your system during the tough moments and then it crashes.  As the spouse of a transplant recipient (or parent, or any close loved one) you stay on edge for days and now for your dad it has been weeks.  I hope that your he is remembering to take a little time to decompress each day - maybe going for a walk in a local park or something like that.  He needs to take care of himself too.  :grouphug;

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2008, 07:15:35 PM »

Whew, and an APOLOGY.  What a refreshing and novel idea.  Hugs to you all.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2008, 07:58:34 PM »

Hey Beth, I saw your post on another thread where you mentioned that your mom is doing well.  How about an update over here?  and how are you doing?  and how about your dad? and how about your sister? I am really happy to hear that all is well. :grouphug;

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2008, 05:13:11 AM »

Hope you, Mom and Dad are doing better.  :grouphug;
Beth36

« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2008, 03:35:09 PM »

I am so sorry!  I forgot to update...preg brain strikes again!  My mom is on her way home from her three month check up (she had it a few weeks early so my sister could have hers at the same time) and is fine.  She did have to do plasmapheresis for the last 3 days and it gave her AWFUL hives but they did eventually go away.  Her anitbodies were up a little but she said the pheresis was just a precaution.  All other levels were great and Dr. Gloor said he thinks the transplant was a success and is very pleased with it.  So all is well.  My sister is doing great, too.  She's living with us now while she prepares for nursing school.  And thank goodness because my hubby signed a huge contract with NC (he designs software for state governments) and will be traveling to Raleigh starting September 15.  So, her being here is a total godsend!  My 3 year old fell yesterday and cut his arm and got 11 stitches.  I thought I was going to go into labor but did not, whew.  I just aged 50 years in 5 minutes!  The twins are doing great.  I have had no scares and have had an uneventful pregnancy, except for it being twins.  They are weighing in at 2 lbs. 15 ozs. and 3 lbs. and 3 ozs. so far and I am 29 weeks.  OB said to be looking for them anytime after mid-October and if not, they'll come on Halloween which is when my c-section is scheduled.  My 3 year old starts school on Tuesday (preschool--4 days a week  :bandance;) and he's psyched!  Only thing is, now we are having to start getting our house ready to sell so we can move to NC in hopefully January.  What a hectic life I have ahead of me!  I just hope our house sells quickly!  I don't have much energy and can't really get around very well without getting out of breath or crampy.  It's crazy how yucky I've started feeling so early, I feel like I'm about 9 months pregnant as opposed to only 7...I've been asked if I am going to have mor children after these two and I just laugh and walk away...what else can you do?

Beth

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »