I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 06:24:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  My mom got her kidney!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My mom got her kidney!  (Read 15236 times)
Beth36

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 07:41:43 AM »

Thanks, everybody!!  My mom is still being monitored every day and has a full schedule of appointments and blood work.  My dad said they have lowered her prograf to 2 tablets twice a day and cellcept to 500mg twice a day...she's still weaning down on prednisone but will always take it.  Her eventual dose will be 5mg a day when that happens.  Her potassium was high yesterday and she had to have 2 drips and some lasik to get rid of some fluid but all her labs have come back normal.  Creatnine is steady at 1.0 but has been as low as .9.  I think it was 5 or maybe higher before the transplant....so, we are so happy with that!  She is walking full speed and was so fast, my dad couldn't catch up with her yesterday, he said she was killing him....that's so good to hear because she was so down and so depressed before.  She'll have crossmatches every Friday but so far, so good....we're crossing everything.  I'm just so proud of my sister for helping her.  We all wished we could have been Mom's donor and we're so happy one of us could have helped.  Now, I've got to get rest and take care of me.  I've been having some mild contractions but I think it's just dehydration, so no reason to panic but good reason to sit up and drink lots of water!

Spacezombie--so glad to see you got your transplant!!  I am so happy for you and hope you are feeling great!

Thanks again!  I'll update and I'm sure I'll have questions if something crazy comes up!!!

Beth

Mom had positive crossmatch transplant at Mayo Clinic on 6/13/08!!
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 09:08:10 AM »

Wonderful news!   :clap; :clap; :bandance; :bandance;

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 09:28:04 AM »

sounds great, happy to hear that all is well! :yahoo;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Beth36

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008, 07:18:02 AM »

Well, everything is going well with my mom.  Her potassium was high the other day and she had to have an IV and then her phosphorous was low and she got prescribed some meds for that but overall, she's doing GREAT!.  She has a kidney biopsy today, she had one right after her transplant and will have one more before she leaves MN, and then will have them annually.  They told her she'll be able to go home around July 11 but will have to come back in September/October but then will go every year for check-ups.  She's happy to be able to go home soon.  I loved Rochester, it was a really nice town but am glad to be at my home, so I know they're ready!  My sister is already on her way to VA with her boyfriend.  She's still tired some but is back to her old routine--just no running for now!.  We had another ultrasound at the perinatologist and I'm not having 2 girls afterall, one is a boy and one is a girl!  My son is so excited and now he thinks he is always right.  Funny thing is, this is what he wanted for Christmas last year......hope he likes it this year!  Thanks again, everybody!

Beth

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008, 05:25:18 PM »

Thanks for the update Beth and all the exciting news in your family.  So glad things are good all around.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2008, 10:47:40 PM »

Very good news about your mother. I'm glad to know your sister made it through fine too.
Lucky you having a baby boy and baby girl twins. What a nice family you must have.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2008, 06:03:26 AM »

:bandance;  Thanks for the update.  Glad to hear everything is going well!!!   :bandance;

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2008, 06:25:13 AM »

GREAT news, Beth!  :yahoo; for your mom, and  :clap; for your sister!!

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Beth36

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2008, 09:17:21 AM »

Well, I do have one worry and that is my mom's antibodies...they continue to creep up a little and she has to have another biopsy on Tuesday.  She's participating in a study with a drug (I posted about it a while back and have no idea how to spell or pronounce it) that has been used with other transplants--liver, etc..but not kidney.  It's supposed to shorten the amount of plasmapheresis/IVIg a positive crossmatch patient might need before and/or after a transplant (I think...my mom doesn't ask too may questions and I wish I could have asked the doctors more questions) and biopsies are part of the study.  Dr. Stegall told her she was making history because she is only the second kidney transplant patient to receive this drug and while that's cool and all, they need to get these antibodies to calm down!  Every other thing is great, her creatinine was .8 yesterday, which is very very cool and her spirits are high.  I'm just a little worried about those effing atibodies!!  They can't do plasmapheresis because it messes with this drug, so let's hope this drug kicks into overdrive.  I call her every day to find out her labs as she has them every morning.  I do feel very positive overall but very nervous, too....

Beth

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2008, 01:43:58 PM »

Sometimes it seems to me that that every transplant patient is more or less part of the trials.  There doesn't seem to be anything close to one-size fits all with the drug regimes I've been reading about here at IHD.  It appears that most are on cellcept and prograf, but then there are the mono-clonal anitbodies, prednisone or no prednisone, valcyte for 3 months, or 6 months or more, and a whole lot of other variables.  The low creatinine sounds good and I hope they get the other issues straightened out really soon. :cuddle; 

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
Beth36

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2008, 02:15:22 PM »

Thanks!  She's on cellcept, prograf, prenisone, valcyte, and a couple other things (I forget) and they're tweaking her doses right now.  I just wish they could get a grip on these antibodies.  She had plasmapheresis and IVIg before and after the transplant but they don't want to do it again unless they absolutely have to.  It seems like she's always hearing one good thing and then one so so thing.  I think it's starting to discourage her a bit but I told her to concentrate on the positives and that they aren't gloom and doom about these anitodies, just saying they need to keep an eye on them.  I'll just be glad when they get a grip on this and she can go home!

Beth

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2008, 02:31:44 PM »

The process seems to never end but I think everything is going well and you are right...be thankful for the positives.  :grouphug;
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2008, 02:45:05 PM »

Congratulations to your family!  Seems that there are lots of little bumps, but I am sure once they get this regulated all will be better.  So happy for you all!!

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
MyRenalRomance

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2008, 07:23:40 AM »

Thainking positive thoughts for all of you! Congrats to your mom on her transplant!   :bandance;
Take care - all of you . . . you, your sister, and of course, your mom! (hi Beth's dad - didn't mean to exclide you!    :grouphug;

My best wishes to all!  :bestwishes;

Kidneys damaged by hypertension/scleroderma 1987
In-center Hemodialysis:  May 2007 - October 2007
Switched to Manual PD October '07 - January '08
Switched to PD Nighttime Cycler January '08
Kidney transplant from living related donor June 2008
st789

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2008, 07:33:10 AM »

Congratulations on so many wonderful things happening around you. :clap;
Jill D.

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2008, 06:02:46 PM »

Sounds like overall things are going very well!! Hugs to your whole family (including your twins -a boy and a girl-wow!)

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
Beth36

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2008, 06:12:14 PM »

Thanks!!  She had a biopsy today and they'll probably give her the medication tomorrow, she didn't stick around to wait for the doctor after she was released....she is very impatient and said he can call her....she's over the waiting, etc already.  I know she'll be glad to go but I have a feeling they'll be glad to see her go, too.  She is a handful!  We're all just hanging in and hoping for the best on all fronts.  I look like I have swallowed an entire watermelon but I'm feeling better.

Beth

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2008, 07:28:23 PM »

Wow, a boy and a girl :)

Beth36

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2008, 01:50:14 PM »

The good news is, my mom's antibodies are starting to go down...whew!  Dr. Gloor came in on his day off to read her labs to her himself...my dad kinda blew up at the other doctors because they weren't telling him anything and I really don't blame him but he can be HARSH sometimes.  I had to referee the argument that night between my parents (on the phone) and calm them down.  They're fine now.  I now understand the emtional toll this experience can have on the individual, the spouse, and the family....we are just now starting to all feel a little normal (whatever normal is) and I'm just glad my mom is getting better.  She got the day off from bloodwork today and Sunday and is so excited to just be and not have to go to the hospital that she doesn't know what to do with herself.  She's in a great mood and I must say, she and my dad need a break.  And my dad deserves a medal for all the stuff he's done.  He's been fantastic.  My mom is lucky to have such a loving spouse, they will be married 39 years this September and next year, for their 40th, I am hoping to have a huge party for them!  The doctor did mention that she MIGHT be able to go home to MS next week....that would be fanfreakintastic and I'm hoping for that!  Just wanted to say thanks again for the support and for a place to just let it all out.  On a side note, the babies are doing great.  Both still ver healthy and getting bigger by the minute.

Beth

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2008, 02:03:30 PM »

:clap; That's great Beth! Bless your mom and dad!
What is your due date?  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Beth36

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2008, 08:35:56 AM »

Aw thanks!  They're happy they don't have to go anywhere tomorrow.  Mom had her blood drawn this morning and is done until Monday.  My due date is November 13 but I have my c-section scheduled for October 31 at 7:30am.  That will be 38w.  Twins are term at 37w and 50% of all twins come earlier than that.  I'm doing fine, everything looks great, so I have a good chance of beating those odds and having them at 38w but I'm not taking any of that for granted!  It is crazy that this time last year, we were freaking out about my mom and worrying about when we would be able to have another baby if I was to donate to her.  And it's funny how things turned out that it was my youngest sister to donate and then we got pregnant with twins.  We were only doing IVF one more time for ONE more baby and we got 2 and have one embryo frozen.  So, my husband and I went from hearing "You'll never have children." from one yucky doctor to almost having 3 and a possilbe fourth, if I don't lose my mind with these next two.  We feel very lucky and are grateful for all the good things we have going on because the first clinic my mom went to told her she wouldn't get a transplant likely.  The lesson we've learned is don't give up, no matter what.  It might take some time but you never know if you dont' try.

Beth

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2008, 08:50:14 AM »

I wish my childen could say their mom got a kidney.
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2008, 11:07:42 AM »

:cuddle; Twirly!  :-*

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
Beth36

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2008, 10:58:41 AM »

Twirl--I am so sorry that your children can't say that but I hope that one day they will be able to.....so sorry if my thread struck a nerve.

:grouphug;

Beth

st789

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2008, 11:18:43 AM »

Congratulation :2thumbsup;
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »