I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 07:28:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  The IHD Family - Our Members
| | |-+  CHICAGO: IHD first 2nd Annual Member Meeting
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: CHICAGO: IHD first 2nd Annual Member Meeting  (Read 116447 times)
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #400 on: August 03, 2008, 04:25:57 PM »

thanks that was great to watch :clap;

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Jess21

« Reply #401 on: August 03, 2008, 04:45:22 PM »

They all are some of the nicest people you ever want to meet...Boxman

Yes, Yes they are :thumbup;
I had a great time, even trying to find way around and back from Chicago. Gotta Love technology, 2 GPS units not agreeing with each other :rofl; :urcrazy;
;D Maybe each car should've had a GPS, instead of the car in the rear most of the time having two? My recent call list today was Chris, Okarol, Chirs, Chris, Okarol, Okarol, Paris.  LOL
Technology arguing with itself... :rofl;  I have 10 secs of Paris' happy birthday song..it's not good quality, but let me see if I can get it up on youtube.

Hospitalized w/ renal failure- Nov. 2007
Diagnosed w/ ESRD w/ unknown cause- Jan 2008
Lower arm AV Fistula created- March 2008
On IL transplant list- Oct. 8th, 2008
On WI transplant list- June 25th, 2009
Pediatric 2 kidney transplant- July 6th, 2009 (3/6 antigen match)
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #402 on: August 03, 2008, 04:57:21 PM »

I should have done that and didn't think about it at the time. Could have captured the passing around of her ice cream bowl to that made 2 laps around the table too. :rofl;

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #403 on: August 03, 2008, 05:31:37 PM »

Wow, it looks like you all had a wonderful time.
Did you go to Navy Pier and did you do the boat cruise?

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #404 on: August 03, 2008, 05:36:49 PM »

How great that many of you got to meet up wih Boxman.
What a GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS AND GALS.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #405 on: August 03, 2008, 05:55:15 PM »

It's 7:00 Sunday night and I just got home and feel absolutely no ill effects from skipping dialysis yesterday. It was great meeting the members who came and I hope to meet even more of you all in Vegas.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #406 on: August 03, 2008, 05:55:54 PM »

I wish I had been there.  I missed a great party.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #407 on: August 03, 2008, 05:56:22 PM »

Wow, it looks like you all had a wonderful time.
Did you go to Navy Pier and did you do the boat cruise?

Yes, a few of us went to Navy Pier and Okarol has taken some pictures. We went late and didn't take the boat cruise. We did see the fireworks as we were walking there.
Okarol, Patton, Jess21 and her mom, Paris and her husband, and myself went. I let Okarol drive my vehicle. I had a GPS unit and Okarol's phone has GPS on it with traffic updates. Thus we had technology that never agreed with each other on which way to take. We were trying for Millennium Park (the Giant  Chrome Kidney Bean), but there was concerts going on and roads where closed, thus making it hard to get around in a place you have no idea about. I started to recognize some of the buildings because it was close to my transplant hospital and I knew there was a parking structure there.So we walked a ways to Navy Pier.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 07:42:29 PM by Chris » Logged

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Jess21

« Reply #408 on: August 03, 2008, 07:14:59 PM »

This is from dinner last night.  I pressed the wrong button on my phone before I started recording, so it's not the whole song, but anyway, you can see Paris and her ice cream that made it's own round around the table without being finished!
 :birthday; Paris :birthday;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Wmi-4ZAsw
by the way, it's loud.  Just like us. :)
edit: sound is horrible for some reason.  isn't like that until I save it on my comp..i'll fix it later.

Edited: Fixed smiley error - Sluff/Admin

« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 07:57:20 PM by Jess21 » Logged

Hospitalized w/ renal failure- Nov. 2007
Diagnosed w/ ESRD w/ unknown cause- Jan 2008
Lower arm AV Fistula created- March 2008
On IL transplant list- Oct. 8th, 2008
On WI transplant list- June 25th, 2009
Pediatric 2 kidney transplant- July 6th, 2009 (3/6 antigen match)
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #409 on: August 03, 2008, 07:40:13 PM »

1. After taking the long road we ended up at Cracker barrel on Friday night.

2. The table with purple boas in remembrance of Goofynina. Great job Paris!

3. The guys.

4. Committing Rolondo.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #410 on: August 03, 2008, 07:47:52 PM »

I wish I had been there.  I missed a great party.

You were there.  :grouphug;
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #411 on: August 04, 2008, 03:02:46 PM »

What a great weekend!!   I have so many things so say and share.  It is amazing how a group of people, all dealing with health issues, come together and spends the entire time laughing, joking, eating and eating and eating, and there is no whining or complaining.  It is inspirational to see everyone traveling and enjoying life.     It was wonderful to see Okarol, Sluff and Kristie again.  Just like being with your favorite sister and brother.  And Sluff's son is great.  This teenager was a friend to everyone; he was the first to help each of us, always asking if we needed anything or if we were ok.  I was extremely impressed with his compassion and maturity.  And he was so much fun.  I wanted to adopt him!  Sluff, you have done an incredible job as a father. I love Josh!     Flip and Donna, it was fun sitting with you both at Cracker Barrel.  My husband enjoyed talking about Lexington and the area.  Donna, I think we must be related!  It was good to hear your point of view on the kidney stuff.  Flip takes life with such a good attitude. Never complains, always positive (maybe that is the moonshine!).  Flip, so glad you brought Donna!  She is a lot of fun.     Jess21 and Nancy---well, how did the microchipping go??  :rofl;  Nancy, thanks for coming with Jess21 to see what this group is all about. Jess has such a good attitude, too.  It is nice to see how close the two of you are.       And Chris, our computer wiz!  Master of all things electronical!  Nice truck!!  You had posted pictures and links before I even got back to Raleigh. Thanks for recommending Portillos--best hot dog I have ever had!  It was so good to meet you in person.     If you want to meet two people who will encourage you to do anything you want to---well, that is Alene and Rolando (aharris2). They both have permanent smiles.  I never saw either one when they weren't smiling.  Rolondo's neice and nephew joined us and they were always smiling!  I think the nephew looks just like Rolando (Engelbert was really cute!).  Nothing stops these two.    My husband says he has never been with any group where everyone was so happy.   We all were happy to be together, strenghten our friendships, and making new ones.  It is like a family reunion without the relatives you don't like!!   And for those who weren't there--- we talking about you(all good things!), and you were all included in all we did.  My husband says he has never seen me so outgoing and silly.  You guys bring the fun side out in me!    Our trip home was long.  We got to the airport about noon Sunday and arrived in Raleigh about 1am Monday morning!  Today has been one of dozing and resting.  The trip was worth every moment of trying to get home and I am ready to go again!    Thanks everyone, for a wonderful weekend.   And to Tinley Park, our apologies for all the purple feathers we left all over town!! Feathers were blowing in the wind everywhere.  We were surrounded by Susie all the time.   :grouphug; :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #412 on: August 04, 2008, 03:57:42 PM »

Something about Tinley Park sounded familiar to me and today I figured it out. For those in the caravan Friday night searching for Cracker Barrel.....the shopping center where we finally turned around is the one where 5 women in a Lane Bryant store were shot to death back in February. There are still no suspects.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #413 on: August 04, 2008, 04:16:52 PM »

I think I am glad I didn't know that before we went!  We did take the scenic route to dinner that night.   

Meinuk, kind of like our road trip from the hotel to dinner in Vegas! :rofl;   This group can always make a five minute trip into a 30 minute trip!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #414 on: August 04, 2008, 05:18:49 PM »

Something about Tinley Park sounded familiar to me and today I figured it out. For those in the caravan Friday night searching for Cracker Barrel.....the shopping center where we finally turned around is the one where 5 women in a Lane Bryant store were shot to death back in February. There are still no suspects.

My cousin managed that store awhile before the shootings, I guess she works in Blue island now.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #415 on: August 04, 2008, 05:45:30 PM »

Actually we where there on Saturday. The mall that had that store is  where Portillos was located, on 159th. It was across from Target.
Also, Okarol posted a couple videos on YouTube also using a laptop. Here are the links.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h62aWWoYaDs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td9FX-9n54g

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

flip
Elite Member

« Reply #416 on: August 04, 2008, 05:54:00 PM »

According to the one article I read, the store was in the mall at 191st and Harlem.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #417 on: August 04, 2008, 05:57:50 PM »

If it was 191st, that would be Orland Park and could be that there are 2 Targets and Lane  Bryants. I saw the Lane Bryant sign when we entered Portillo's the back way. Oh well, we made it unscaved from the area. Well except for that brief stop at the mental health center  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

flip
Elite Member

« Reply #418 on: August 04, 2008, 06:14:50 PM »

We really enjoyed Oak Park on Saturday morning. The streets were alive with people and we found them all to be very friendly. After the book sale we toured the neighborhood and checked out the Frank Lloyd Wright home & museum and all the many homes in the area that he designed.

lruffner

« Reply #419 on: August 04, 2008, 06:38:03 PM »

Thanks for sharing the pics. I missed being able to go by 1 stinking day, but you gotta do what ya gotta do! Glad everyone had such a great time!

Maybe we can do some informal 'regional meetings sometime???  :grouphug;  I would just love to meet some people, but I can't do either trip this year  :rant;

Diagnosed w/ primary fsgs- June 2007
Getting ready to begin transplant work-up at IU and Jewish-9/08

"Live for Today"
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #420 on: August 04, 2008, 07:01:57 PM »

It was great meeting all that came. Like Paris said, no uneasiness with everyone like a family reunion where you meet people you never met before. I wish I could go to Vegas also, but maybe next year if I can save money to afford hotel and airline cost, I could go. I will have to see how much I get off my fuel rebate in December.

They do remember what you post to, they got me a 7 day 4 event pill container with reminder alarms. :rofl;

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

flip
Elite Member

« Reply #421 on: August 04, 2008, 07:15:16 PM »

I think regional meetings would be worth considering again, Lee. There just aren't a lot of active members in our area. Maybe Cincinnati, St.Louis, or Nashville.

lruffner

« Reply #422 on: August 04, 2008, 08:29:47 PM »

Right on, FLip. That is what I consider regional. You said 'again'....has this been done or brought up before?

Flip, do you do any gardening? I have been making bread & butter pickles like crazy. If we all ever get together, I will bring you a jar. Yes, I am sure they are restricted, but 1 or 2 never hurt anybody! hehe

Diagnosed w/ primary fsgs- June 2007
Getting ready to begin transplant work-up at IU and Jewish-9/08

"Live for Today"
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #423 on: August 04, 2008, 08:52:34 PM »

dill pickles are actually much worse than sweet pickles. I always put sweet pickle relish in my tuna.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #424 on: August 04, 2008, 08:59:08 PM »

When I showed my dietitian the two types of pickles that  I bought to show her the ingredients, the sweet didn't contain much salt or potassium as the dill. She said that we couldn't have any pickles, so I had to prove her wrong.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010