I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 09:39:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  More from Devon - what can I do during treatment?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: More from Devon - what can I do during treatment?  (Read 3063 times)
devon

« on: February 11, 2008, 08:40:33 AM »

WOW!  Thanks to all of you that replied to my introduction! I really am thankful for the warm welcome. It was exactly what I needed to raise my spirits! Thank you!

My first question is: What can I expect to be able to do during the dialysis treatments?

I spoke with my boss about this issue. I am a programmer and documentation writer. He immediately suggested a laptop and I told him I would research this matter. Is typing at the keyboard and using a mouse possible while undergoing dialysis? If so, what hints about making it easier? And if not, what CAN I do during treatment?

I have two unfinished plays, a book about the adoption of my son and dealing with his RAD, ODD, and PSTD and, of course, my programming and documentation work. So, I have much to do that could be done during these hours. I'm open to suggestions.

And thanks again. I believe I've found a nice comfortable place here at IHD. I'm less frightened and intimidated the more I read here.
tweetykiss

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 09:19:56 AM »

I say go for it and I am glad your boss will let you work from the treatment room...now be prepared to see rest of the people sleeping or watching TV unless it is only at my husband's center that this goes on.  My husband talks to the staff or watches TV since the lights and the beeping won't let him sleep. ;D

Husband started hemo dialysis on July 30, 2007
devon

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 09:35:13 AM »

Well, as much as I like TV, I doubt many there  at the center would prefer my viewing; Discovery, TLC, History channel, etc.

You sparked the idea however of using a portable DVD player (if not laptop) to view movies from Blockbuster or Netflix.  I like documentaries and biographies.

But I hope to put this time into better use. I really need to finish those writing projects. They have been sidetracked too many times!
BobT1939

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 09:41:41 AM »

Using your access arm on the keyboard can be an issue. However, several others on the site have described using laptops while on dialysis. I download radio programs on my ipod and listen to them, use a DVD player, watch TV (MSNBC, History channel, National Geo, sports on Saturday), and sleep through the noise for about an hour./bobt

BobT
devon

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 10:03:48 AM »

I meet with the Vascular Surgeon this Friday. I am left-handed so I plan to have the fistula on the right arm. However, I use the right hand for the mouse! I understand this could be a problem while on the machine. Is this going to be a problem when I am NOT on the machine?

Thanks for the advice, Bob

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 11:34:17 AM »

Not a problem while you are off dialysis.  When you are on dialysis you will have to keep the lines from going tight on your needles sites.  It is doable.   The only problem I see is having a laptop in your lap for three to four hours.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 12:42:41 PM »

It depends on how "fussy" your access is. I can move my arm quite a bit while I'm hooked up, but then my access is in my upper arm.  You'll have to wait and see how much range of motion you have.  I'm able to type on a laptop, do crafts such as beading and sculpting with polymer clay, and do jigsaw puzzles.  (I'm on home hemo - I've got room to spread out my things.)  I did use a laptop even in center - just make sure you have a good battery.  Most centers have issues with plugging things in.

As for having a laptop in your lap for 3 or 4 hours - hey, it's a great lap warmer!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

tweetykiss

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 01:35:31 PM »

Well, as much as I like TV, I doubt many there  at the center would prefer my viewing; Discovery, TLC, History channel, etc.

You sparked the idea however of using a portable DVD player (if not laptop) to view movies from Blockbuster or Netflix.  I like documentaries and biographies.

But I hope to put this time into better use. I really need to finish those writing projects. They have been sidetracked too many times!

At my husband's center, everyone has their own TV in their booths.  They get headphones too so not to bother others.  The portable DVD player is a good idea.

Husband started hemo dialysis on July 30, 2007
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 01:54:35 PM »

For the eight years I was on dialysis I had a central line permcath inserted in my chest for access, so both arms and hands were completely free during my sessions.  Permcaths offer a totally painless (no needling required), efficient (my pump speed was 450 rpm), and convenient (both hands free) form of dialysis, and are essential for anyone who wants to type or write during treatment.  Nephrologists dislike this access method because they imagine they are infection-prone, but I had only three access infections in eight years, all of which I could have avoided by wearing a mask and having the nurse wear a mask during attachment to or removal from the machine and taking greater care to keep the water level low in the bathtub.
Slywalker

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 04:04:23 PM »

While I was on hemo there were several folks who used a laptop.  I didn't like having to bring my work with me  so I read or watched TV or listened to music, ate my lunch, chat with staff, and pretty much just hung out for four hours.

Good luck

Sandyb
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 06:07:38 PM »

;D In case you missed them, here are some threads:
Bringing back Things to do While on Dialysis Thread http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=1320.0
Four fun things to do at the dialysis center http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=3786.0
Things To Do On Dialysis~ http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=171.60
haveing sex while on dialysis http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=1160.0
 :rofl;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 06:17:15 PM »

hey  devon,

all  excellent  ideas  given,just  remember  dialysis  at  the  begining  is  bound  to  knock  you   about  a  bit .
 it's  all  trial  and  error  see  what  works  for  you.

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
devon

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 09:46:31 AM »

THanks ya'll for the answers. They were very helpful! Even reading the funny ones gave me some insight into the process.
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 10:19:29 AM »

A laptop is no problem on hemo.  I had a fairly large and heavy one (1999) and had no problems dealing with it.  I would just plug in the power supply before getting into the chair and then take it out of the bag and get started at some point after I was on.  Today there are many TV and radio offerings available from all over the world on the internet so the laptop can serve as your multimedia device as well as the means to visit us here at IHD while you are on.  I have a small analog/DTV tuner that plugs into a USB port and with a small pair of rabbit ears there is your over the air analog and high def TV on the laptop.  I really prefer a touchpad to a finger mouse and found it was really easy to use on dialysis.  Most laptops have internal DVD readers so there's your DVD player right in the same box.  Apart from that of course you can always read, eat and drink, socialize with other patients and your guests, and check out the cute nurses.  :2thumbsup;
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 10:26:34 AM by livecam » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »