I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 07:43:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Four fun things to do at the dialysis center
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Four fun things to do at the dialysis center  (Read 8045 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: May 25, 2007, 09:33:19 AM »

This is copied from a post by Stu at http://www.therenalunit.com/

Four fun things to do at the dialysis center

Dialysis is as boring as bat-shit - right?

We spend far too much time at the dialysis center as it is, so it might be a bit of fun to try to think of some things to do which might brighten it up a bit.

(You might want to make sure you get along pretty well with your fellow patients and dialysis center staff before you try some of these!)

1) A couple of hours before you go to dialysis, eat a big block of cheese. When you get there, tell the staff you don’t feel well. Ask for a set of blood tests to be done. When the results come back, you will have a sky high phosphate. The staff will ask you what you ate. Tell them you ate nothing for the 24 or-so hours before dialysis, because you had an upset stomach. Sit back and watch them scratch their heads.

2) Turn up at the dialysis center on one of your “off” days. (A day when you’re not supposed to be there), go to a chair, unpack your bag as you normally would, and sit down waiting to be put on the machine.

3) When you get off the machine at the end of dialysis, walk over to the scales and stand on them. Stand there on the scales, and swear loudly. When the staff ask what’s wrong, tell them that you weigh a kilogram (or two pounds for our American friends) more than you did before dialysis.

4) Take a Penthouse / Playboy in to the dialysis center, leave it on your lap (closed, of course), and pretend to be alseep. Keep an eye out for the staff’s reaction.

Actually, don’t do these things, you’re likely to either damage yourself, or get kicked out of the dialysis center

Anybody else got any ideas for fun things to do to brighten up your time at the dialysis center?

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
LightLizard

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 09:46:17 AM »

Since I've been on home dialysis, I kind of miss the social interaction of the dialysis center, to tell the truth.
I used to like telling jokes to the staff and some patients and just connecting was nice.
Thanks for the giggles!
love

~LL~
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 02:27:20 PM »

1) From the moment you enter Dialysis, talk in nothing but a jibberish language.  Any question they ask, just respond with emotion as you anunciate each jibberish phrase.  This will most likely drive them completely insane and entertain you to no end.

2) Bring a Universal Remote and mess with the TV of the patient next to you.  This is especially fun if they seat you next to an obnoxious person who is unable to control their TV or personal volume. 

3) Every time a tech or nurse speaks to you, end every sentence referring to them as Fillbert.

4) Wear a Speedo and nothing else.  Since most of us are pretty puffy when we enter Dialysis, this will be kind gross, but hilarious.

5) Bring in a 40 ounce of your favorite malt beverage and drink it in front of them the entire treatment.

6) Dress as your favorite Star Wars character and refuse to take off the mask when you sit down.  Also, make sure they address you as the character you are and refuse to respond if they don't.

7) Bring in a large umbrella and place it over the back of the chair.  Explain that the flourescent lighting is stealing your soul so to protect yourself you've brought this space age umbrella to protect your inner most thoughts.

Thank you and good night.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
kianhu

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 02:47:30 PM »

LOL. I once brought a fart machine and hid it at the scale.  We laughed all day.  :rofl;  The area manager didnt think it was as funny as we did.  One day I brought a "shock" ink pen.  Man, I had a ball.  This one male nurse who was very feminine in his mannerisms was helping me with the pen because I could get it to "click"  It shocked the hell out of him, he screamed and threw it down the hall.  It broke into many pieces. We were crying, we were laughing so hard.   He was so apologetic but I told him no problem because his reaction was well worth what I paid for it.  One more thing then i will stop, for our medication closet we had set of keys.  I bought a key ring that looked like the tip of a penis.   It looked very realistic.   I was the charge nurse at the time (I know scary) and I hung the keys on a hook in my office.  When the nurses came to get the keys, you wouldnt believe how funny the facial expressions were.  Wow, I used to have a ball at work.  :yahoo; It has been many years since one of my pranks.  I think they are long over due for a new one.  If anyone has any ideas, let me know. 

Kimberly
keefer51

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 03:44:09 PM »

I try and have as much fun as i can. My center has mostly elderly people. After an hour or so they are asleep. I was able to talk to a few of the nurses into pole dancing on the IV pole. We never have the same chair. I do however like to wear t-shirts that make them think. I have a t-shirt that says "Spank The Monkey" when the doctor saw it he didn't know what to say. I did see him smerk. For the four hours i sit there i usually listen to music. Sometimes there are patients that have uncontrolable gas. So i wear a mask over my face. The machine sometimes beeps. But after listening to it for a while the first couple of beeps sounds like the i dream of jeanie song. So i will whistle that a while. I also like to call them on my cell phone. That really makes them mad. Anything i can do to keep them on their feet i will do.

i am a 51 year old male on dialysis for 3 years now. This is my second time. My brother donated a kidney to me about 13 years ago. I found this site on another site. I had to laugh when i saw what it was called. I hope to meet people from all over to talk about dialysis.
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 04:58:37 PM »

I try and have as much fun as i can. My center has mostly elderly people. After an hour or so they are asleep. I was able to talk to a few of the nurses into pole dancing on the IV pole. We never have the same chair. I do however like to wear t-shirts that make them think. I have a t-shirt that says "Spank The Monkey" when the doctor saw it he didn't know what to say. I did see him smerk. For the four hours i sit there i usually listen to music. Sometimes there are patients that have uncontrolable gas. So i wear a mask over my face. The machine sometimes beeps. But after listening to it for a while the first couple of beeps sounds like the i dream of jeanie song. So i will whistle that a while. I also like to call them on my cell phone. That really makes them mad. Anything i can do to keep them on their feet i will do.

You sound a lot like my husband.  He's always joking around with the techs and a few of them invite him to go out on weekends (like he doesn't see them enough  ::)  :lol;)  He has a "Rub My Belly" tshirt with a pic of a fat Buddha that makes them laugh (my husband has brown skin, shaved head, buddha-belly, so it works  :lol;)

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 05:13:55 PM »

2) Turn up at the dialysis center on one of your “off” days. (A day when you’re not supposed to be there), go to a chair, unpack your bag as you normally would, and sit down waiting to be put on the machine.

Ain't nobody dumb enough to try that one!
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 05:45:14 PM »

Ha!  Good ones!  I have called the nurses on my cell phone too.  One does get bored sometimes!

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 07:19:38 PM »

Or, if you can do self-care, show up, unpack your stuff, and start setting up the machine and putting yourself on and see how long it takes for them to notice.

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 09:13:04 PM »

I am so tempted to take in some sort of alcoholic beverage in and drink it before/during going on....

Indeed a few months ago I came in a bit early and as usual some early shifter was late so my machine wasn't ready for 20 minutes... so I said well what can I do? The nurse joked and said go to the pub and have a vodka and red bull... so I did! LOL. Should have seen the BP when I arrived back quite buzzy... the nurse couldn't believe I'd ACTUALLy done it!! LOL

Hey, we're supposed to obey them or we become non compliant right? :D

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »