I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 11:42:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Another Phone Call
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another Phone Call  (Read 31294 times)
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2008, 02:58:35 PM »

How was your day, Katie?  What did your loving friends bring for dinner?  And how is your son dealing with everything?    I think about you all day and hope you know how much we all care. :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2008, 04:56:13 PM »

Tonight was semi-homemade Chinese. Not even very salty, so that was great!

We made it to clinic with no problems. The sleet had changed to rain sometime overnight, so the roads were just wet by the time we left the house. Clinic went well. I had labs drawn on Tuesday, and my creatnine was .9!!! The lowest it has ever been in my life was 1.2, I believe. Just incredible! They've lowered my dose of cell-cept to try and help with the diarrhea, and I start that lower dose tonight, so we'll see how it goes. I left the hospital on a twice daily schedule of K Phos because my potassium and phosphorous were so low. Well today, the quadrupled my dosage, because my phos was .7. That's after having 2 diet cokes, pizza, some kind of chocolate, cheese and nuts everyday! I know, y'all hate me right now. I think part of it is my appetite is so small that I'm just not getting a great amount of anything.

The swelling in my tummy is way down, and I've lost about 5 pounds since Sunday. When I got the transplant, I constantly had a big belly from PD fluid, and with that gone and the swelling gone, I almost have a shape again (other than round, that is!) Give me a few months of being able to exercise, and maybe I'll be able to fit in my skinny jeans again.

Wattle, snow in Georgia depends on where you are. If you look at a map of the US, we're the state just north of Florida, which is where most people go for "escape the winter" vacations. However, our landscape varies from swamps to mountains. The mountains just north of where I live normally get a few (1-3) inches of snow year, and my parents, who live about an hour north of us, normally get snowed in about once a year. However, we're still in the foothills where we live, and only get measurable snowfall about every 5-10 years. Everything comes to a standstill, because no one knows how to deal with it.

Livecam, I switched to the cycler in May or June, I believe, so I had stopped doing exchanges at work then, but several times had to call in late because of alarms overnight, so my treatment ran late, and that made me late for work. I know my boss will appreciate not getting those calls anymore!

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2008, 05:34:13 PM »

I just thought of something that came up at clinic today and was curious what others would say. Of course, they always ask you what's the date of your transplant? Well, my surgery began on January 9 at 9:00 pm and finished on January 10 at 1:00 am. Which day did I actually receive the transplant? I'm voting for the 9th, and the doctor seemed to go for that, but I'm curious what you all would say?

~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Chicken Little

« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2008, 05:55:26 PM »

I say the 9th too.  I'm glad you're doing better.  I gave away all my skinny jeans.  I couldn't bear to look at the clothes I couldn't wear anymore.  Even though I'm dry during the day, my body has changed so much with PD.

After I get my call, I can't wait to go shoppin.   ;D
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #129 on: January 18, 2008, 10:00:45 AM »

I just thought of something that came up at clinic today and was curious what others would say. Of course, they always ask you what's the date of your transplant? Well, my surgery began on January 9 at 9:00 pm and finished on January 10 at 1:00 am. Which day did I actually receive the transplant? I'm voting for the 9th, and the doctor seemed to go for that, but I'm curious what you all would say?

Yes i say the 9th - because you were already in surgery and the kidney was already promised to you.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #130 on: January 19, 2008, 10:05:47 AM »

I had to spend a couple of hours last night in the ER. Nothing serious. I noticed Thursday evening that two of my staples looked like they weren't quite holding on one side, and my husband confirmed that for me Friday morning. I called the transplant team, and they said to put steri-strips on it, and if it started to weep, be red, I got a fever or any of that, to come see them or go to the ER if it was after hours. Of course it started to weep at about 5:45 on Friday night. Grrr!

We got there, and my husband and I both had masks on, and told the girl at check-in that I was immuno-suppressed and please get us in as soon as possible. She said, "well, just tell the nurse when you get called back. Go wait in the waiting room." We chose to stand in the hall instead, and a minute later, a nurse walks by and tells us to wait in the waiting room. My husband explained the situation, and less than five minutes later, the nurse had us in triage and as soon as we were done there, she got us a room. Whew!

The doctor tried steri-strips, but just like the ones I tried, it just didn't work, so he ended up taking out the two staples that weren't working and replacing them with three. I'm a little sore today, but not really enough for a tylenol, even. Just moving a little slower than I was a couple of days ago. We were in and out of the ER in about 4.5 hours...a new record for a Friday night in downtown Atlanta, I believe!

This brought up a conversation on the way home, and my husband thought I should ask you all. Every transplant I've had, they use staples rather than stitches, but every other surgery seems to have been stitches. Is there just less risk of infection with staples due to them being less porous than the material used for stitches? It seems to us that stitches would hold more securely than staples. Any thoughts or knowledge on this?

~~~~~~~
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #131 on: January 19, 2008, 11:04:05 AM »

You have had quite an adventure Katie. I am surprised you were told to wait in the waiting room. My experiences with ER for myself and when I have taken kids has been wonderful. I am put in a separate area and assessed right away. Even for my kids they move to the front of the line and they try to get us out ASAP. Especially since your transplant was so recent.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #132 on: January 19, 2008, 01:51:55 PM »

Katie, glad your home and healing.  Rest today!   I have always had staples for surgeries.  It seems like if the scar doesn't show, they just staple.  Must be easier for them!   Hope your weekend is very uneventfull :thumbup;   

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #133 on: January 19, 2008, 06:09:39 PM »

Glad to see all is good katie.  :cuddle;

They used staples on all the transplant patients at RPA.

Keep up the good recovery.

Amanda  :2thumbsup;

xxoo
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2008, 07:11:00 AM »

My creatnine was down to .7 yesterday, and I got asked AGAIN if I knew what a good match I got. I'm beginning to understand! My cellcept is down to 500 mg 2x/day, prednisone is down to 10 mg/day, and prograf is holding steady at 4 mg 2x/day.

~~~~~~~
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2008, 08:24:58 AM »

:yahoo; Yay!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2008, 08:48:09 AM »

Yay!!! :yahoo; :clap; :clap;
2_DallasCowboys

« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2008, 09:54:52 AM »

So happy for ya, Katie!!!!! :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup;

Keep up the good work, girl!

Anne
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2008, 12:19:37 AM »

:clap;  Woohoo Katie   :yahoo;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2008, 12:59:44 AM »

Good on ya Katie  :yahoo;  :clap;  :yahoo;

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2008, 09:18:02 AM »

My %^&**()_ computer!! :banghead;
I am so ashamed at all that has happened without my knowing.  I had to read the entire thread one time.  But it is such great news!  :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo;  Seems that match was worth waiting for!
Told you guys January was a special month!!  Last year January was a good month for transplants too.
I am very pleased at how things are going for you, Katie.  Keep on keeping on, girlfriend!  You have a whole international family there rooting for you!
 :cuddle;

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2008, 11:54:30 AM »

My creatnine yesterday was 0.6! My coordinator's exact words were, "Wow, I didn't know it could get that low!"  :yahoo;

~~~~~~~
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2008, 12:57:19 PM »

:yahoo;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
xtrememoosetrax

« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2008, 01:01:22 PM »

Wow. That's just beautiful.

Living donor to friend via 3-way paired exchange on July 30, 2008.

www.paireddonation.org
www.caringbridge.org/visit/marthahansen
oswald

« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2008, 01:43:04 PM »

thats absolutely great kt.  i didn't know it could get that low either.    :beer1;

ESRD 11/95
1st Transplant 7/1996 (failed; Nephrectomy 12/1996)
2nd Transplant 3/1999 (lasted 6 years)
3rd Transplant 5/2007 (lasted 4 years)
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2008, 02:47:55 PM »

Fantastic! You sound like you are doing so well. I am so happy for your good results.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2008, 03:39:58 PM »

AWESOME!!!!!
Blessings to U.

Love, MIMI

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2008, 04:15:55 PM »

My creatnine yesterday was 0.6! My coordinator's exact words were, "Wow, I didn't know it could get that low!"  :yahoo;

:yahoo;  O.K Perfect pee..er. We need some   :pics; now!!   ;D  Just to show us how good you look!   :cuddle;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2008, 06:18:41 AM »

I am so happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Sorry I missed this thread completely but just read all of it.  God's timing!!!!!!!  Be Blessed! :bestwishes;

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2008, 09:48:46 PM »

Thats fantastic Katie.. you are a tough cookie!

:cuddle;
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »