I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 11:42:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Another Phone Call
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another Phone Call  (Read 31293 times)
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2008, 06:04:59 AM »

Glad everything is going so good for you Katie :bandance; :bandance; :yahoo; :yahoo;

xtrememoosetrax

« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2008, 06:17:54 AM »

So glad to hear you're doing well.  And thanks much for sharing all the details, which are so fascinating and helpful to those who may be facing this in the future.  I'm wishing you tons of good "mileage" with this kidney, and I am very happy for you.  :grouphug;

Living donor to friend via 3-way paired exchange on July 30, 2008.

www.paireddonation.org
www.caringbridge.org/visit/marthahansen
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2008, 07:34:38 AM »

Resting, but still not sleeping much, due to 20 mg/day of prednisone. I will be weaned off 5 mg/week until I stabilize at 5 mg for the life of the transplant (hopefully many, many years).

I have today off from blood work, but I'll go tomorrow for labs then Thursday for clinic. I find that interesting, since both my previous transplants, I started out at 3x/week clinic. But this team NEVER releases you from their care, and I will continue to have monthly labs for the life of the transplant. Thankfully, in a month or two I'll be able to move those to a lab closer to home...the hospital is a 45 minute drive without traffic (and we'd be in morning rush hour traffic going toward downtown Atlanta, notoriously some of the longest commutes in the country).

Got to spread the news a little further this morning, since Fresenius called for my order. I got to tell them that I needed my stuff picked up instead of the usual delivery. They'll do that on the 28th, and my husband is taking the machine apart today.  :yahoo; Then I just have to count cases of fluid and tubing. Uggh.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2008, 08:37:17 AM »

:yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; Katie, I'm so happy to hear your home. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I'll continue to say prayers. TAKE CARE.

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2008, 12:41:27 PM »

I hope you take it easy and keep up the fluids - so glad you're doing well - thanks for the update!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2008, 06:37:45 PM »

Congratulations! I am so very excited to hear when anyone gets a transplant, but espeically an IHD member, makes my heart jump for joy!!!   :clap; :2thumbsup; :yahoo;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Psim

« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2008, 10:37:59 AM »

Yay Katie!!!! Thanks for all the details... so cool that you got to see your new kidney. Hope all continues smooth for many many years to come.
Chicken Little

« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2008, 11:10:26 AM »

I'm so happy for you.   :yahoo;

Kind of a weird question, but I'm curious....

Did you shower before you went in?   I've always had to shower with medicinal soap and refrain from using deodorant or lotions before the surgeries I've had.  And how soon after surgery are you able to shower? 
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2008, 12:27:10 PM »

I'm so happy for you. :yahoo;

Did you shower before you went in? I've always had to shower with medicinal soap and refrain from using deodorant or lotions before the surgeries I've had. And how soon after surgery are you able to shower?

I can kind of answer this for myself. First transplant, was pre-scheduled but was never told to take a shower before hand, b/c it dont matter how good you shower they still do their medical stuff the same and rub you down the same. As for my second transplant, it was a call in, which was funny b/c I was *IN* the bath taking a bath when they called, lmao. And I was able to shower as soon as I was able to get out of bed and get the iv's out.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
sisterdonor

« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2008, 12:38:09 PM »

I'm so happy for you.   :yahoo;

Did you shower before you went in?   I've always had to shower with medicinal soap and refrain from using deodorant or lotions before the surgeries I've had.  And how soon after surgery are you able to shower? 

Well, I was a donor but I can answer this because BOTH myself and my recipient were told to shower the night before AND that morning when we woke up.  We had to be at the hospital at 5:45am.  The coordinator said they wanted out bodies extremely clean.

1/8/08 live donor - hand assisted laporascopic left kidney
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2008, 05:33:47 PM »

I was given special medical soap to clean my abdomen with really well several hours before the surgery started. Then after the surgery, I had a central line for meds and bloodwork. That came out about two days after surgery, and I was able to shower from the neck down about 15 minutes later. They had a bandage on it, and I couldn't saturate that or take it off for 24 hours. I was home by that time, so I got to shower and wash my hair that afternoon. Woo hoo!

~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2008, 05:39:35 PM »

When I had my first shower after my cath was removed , I stood in the shower and cried  :urcrazy;

I had been 5 months with no shower...

Kate you are doing so well, I am very happy for you :)

http://www.kimhoben.com
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2008, 05:45:44 PM »

Kim, you just reminded me, I can SWIM this summer!  :yahoo; (no more PD cath!)

~~~~~~~
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2008, 06:24:02 PM »

How ya fairing KT?
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2008, 10:16:46 AM »

Feeling kind of weak today. One of the side effects of almost every single med I'm taking is diarrhea, and it's taking it's toll today. I've just called the transplant team to see if there's something I can take for it. I was already weak because my H & H is still low, so I really didn't need anything more added to the reasons for that. I've just gotten out of the shower and am just letting my hair (shoulder length and very thick) air dry because I can't face standing there holding the hair dryer for that long.

I'll probably grab my book in a few minutes and crawl back into bed. This seems to be my daily routine so far: get up around 9:00, watch some TV, have a light breakfast, shower, hop on IHD for a few minutes, then back to bed til dinner time. Thank goodness the parents in my son's scout pack are providing dinner for us so my husband doesn't have to do EVERYTHING!

Also adding to the weakness is that the prednisone appetite has not kicked in. I ate a chicken thigh and half a red potato last night for dinner and was full (not stuffed, but satisfied). I'm not really complaining though, because I really don't need any more weight to take off once my energy does return!

Sorry this is not as positive as the others, but gotta tell it like it is, right? :)

~~~~~~~
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2008, 10:30:18 AM »

Katie, those of us "waiting" are so eager to read every word of your experience.  I think you are amazing and have such an incredible spirit. You always seem to see the best of every situation and of people.  Let others do all they can for you.  You deserve it.  I keep you in my prayers and hope some of the side effects of the meds improve.  :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2008, 11:00:34 AM »

Katie, I love reading your story, you telling it like it is because it's nice to read someone else's post that isn't all positive. A transplant is not a walk in the park and all the medications can wreck your body. Len is 4 months out and still just having a hell of a time with meds. He is still weak and takes naps daily. Please take care of yourself and make sure you drink lots because your losing so many fluids with the diarrhea. (I know I don't need to tell you this), just a gentle reminder. Keep us updated.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
xtrememoosetrax

« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2008, 11:41:30 AM »

Katie, PLEASE keep telling it exactly like it is -- good, bad, or in between!  Hang in there; hope you feel better soon.

Living donor to friend via 3-way paired exchange on July 30, 2008.

www.paireddonation.org
www.caringbridge.org/visit/marthahansen
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2008, 01:11:10 PM »

Thank you for telling it like it is. I'm happy you take time out of your recovery to update the site. This gives us all insight into how things go with transplants. I learn so much from people here. Sounds like things are going like they should and you are very fortunate. Here's to a speedy recovery.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
Jill D.

« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2008, 07:10:56 PM »

I have been so busy that I haven't checked the site much lately....what an awesome news to read!!! I'm so happy for you Katie and glad to hear the surgery went smoothly! Stay away from sick people, crowds and small children for now if you can!!!  :) :bandance; :yahoo; :2thumbsup; :clap; :beer1; :cuddle;

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #120 on: January 16, 2008, 09:49:29 PM »

KT, dont worry about not being "positive" as you can tell, we appreciate your honesty and thank you for keeping us in the real ;)  You just keep relaxing, take advantage of any rest you can get cuz i am sure when your feeling better your going to be busy busy busy :)   Keep on keepin' on my friend  :waving;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2008, 12:04:47 AM »

Thanks all!

As you can tell from the time of this post, the prednisone's doing it's job of keeping me awake through the night well...and of course, I have my first clinic appointment in about 6 hours. That is, if I can make it - we have snow and ice here tonight. About an inch of snow, and sleet on top of that. Did I mention we live in GEORGIA?? We'll make it if we can, but if not, I'll just have to reschedule for Friday. If we go today (Thursday), my son will have to go with us, because just found out schools are closed here tomorrow. He'll just have to wait out in the hall with my husband, since kids under 12 aren't allowed in clinic. They do kidneys and livers there, go figure!

As for staying away from kids...my son's 9. He's not allowed to have any friends over, and can only play outside with his best friend because he (the friend) has four or five brothers and sisters. Thankfully, my son is really good about it and the handwashing and all the stuff we have to do, but I know he's getting frustrated with it already. Poor kid.

On a bright note, I think I mentioned that some of the parents from the Scout Pack are arranging to bring us dinners, and we figured that if they could get us through Monday of this coming week, we'd be good to go. We just got an email tonight from one of the organizers, and we have volunteers until February 1! Including one of our neighbors who has a girl, so has nothing to do with Cub Scouts...not sure how he got the word, but not going to complain! And by the way, one of the organizers and her husband are both PA's and have assisted with transplants, so got the word out about how thoroughly cooked and cleaned everything has to be and if someone has the sniffles, they're to trade for a different day. The lady who brought it tonight (our den leader), was helping make dinners for a year for a family whose son had had a bone marrow transplant, so she gets it!

As for the diarrhea, the transplant team called back, and I was able to take some Immodium, thank goodness! That's helped, and I've just kept a glass of water beside me ever since taking it (except for the Coke Zero I had with dinner...maybe it's the caffeine keeping me up??).

As for keeping it honest, I know postings like that helped me feel a lot more confident going in, so I'll try to keep it up for ya. Even though I had been through two previous transplants, it's completely different when you're on the list and it's not a sure thing. (When you get The Call, take a book, puzzle books, cards, anything to pass the time at the hospital. You'll probably have several hours to pass.)

~~~~~~~
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2008, 01:47:45 AM »

I am glad you are feeling better Katie.  :cuddle;

Does it normally snow in Georgia? Is that a blonde question? lol :urcrazy;  I hope you make it to clinic!

The meals are great. My girlfriends did the same for me when I first started dialysis. It was such a big help, even though I didn't feel like eating, my husband and two kids had life as normal. You have some wonderful friends and neighbours.

And as for being up at night on the computer...... LAP it up........ you are NOT attached to the cycler anymore!!!! Woooohooooo   :bandance;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2008, 09:13:56 AM »

Katie..belated congratulations on your transplant.  It seems like you were talking about PD exchanges at work just a short time ago.  There will be no more of that!  Enjoy your new kidney and freedom!

Jeff
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2008, 10:52:08 AM »

Katie, I am so glad it's going so well for you!!!  Having meals is going to be such a big help for you and your family!

Hopefully you get to the appt. even with all the snow!!! 

:clap; :clap; :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup;
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »