I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 07:44:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 464286 times)
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #1125 on: August 13, 2011, 04:11:23 PM »

Well something totally irratating that Aaron's granny has been constantly keeping me updated on the fact that this neighbor (who they dont like) have had 7 people in their family tested to give the one son who is on dialysis, a kidney. Which I am of course so happy for this man suffering and that he is getting a kidney but what pisses me off is that Aaron's family was SOOO against him donating a kidney to me. They were making up horror stories and continually discouraging him from donating. (You could hear a collective sigh when he wasn't a match) So why does she care so much about this person's situation and could care less about mine??   :urcrazy;

whatever! :p

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1126 on: August 13, 2011, 08:32:17 PM »

At least they shared an opinion.  The only person in my family who I've asked that's given me an answer was my brother, and he said no.

Then they all promote organ donation on their facebook pages. bunch of hypocrites.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
tbarrett2533

Me licking my kidneys from my birthday kidney cake

« Reply #1127 on: August 13, 2011, 09:40:43 PM »

I think I got you all beat when it comes to dumb (more like hurtful things) family has said re: kidney donation...

I had my only blood brother ready to go be tested as is my half sister... then my father convinced them both not to be tested then said to me and I will quote him, "I don't want Paulie (Brother) to be tested because I do not know what I would do if something were to ever happen to him." 

you can pick your friends not your family!!!

CKD since: 1981
9.22.10: Catheter surgery
9.23.10: Started in center Hemo
10.06.10: Fistula surgery
12.02.10: Started using right upper arm Fistula (15 gauge)
12.30.10: Catheter Removed
07.01.11: Laparoscopic CAPD Catheter insertion
07.29.11: Started CAPD, 2000ml, 4 exchanges (Baxter)
08.15.11: Started filling with 1500ml (instead of 2000ml), 4 exchanges
08.21.11: Back to 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3-2.5% & 1-1.5%)
10.12.11: 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3 1.5% & 1-2.5% overnight)
11.08.11: Transplant list

Dialysis works for me, I don't work for dialysis!
It's my body, my health!!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1128 on: August 13, 2011, 09:52:56 PM »

Tbarrett, I think you should get some sort of prize for that story.  I'm speechless, and THAT's a rare occurrence.  Unbelievable.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
tbarrett2533

Me licking my kidneys from my birthday kidney cake

« Reply #1129 on: August 13, 2011, 10:03:16 PM »

Tbarrett, I think you should get some sort of prize for that story.  I'm speechless, and THAT's a rare occurrence.  Unbelievable.

:)

CKD since: 1981
9.22.10: Catheter surgery
9.23.10: Started in center Hemo
10.06.10: Fistula surgery
12.02.10: Started using right upper arm Fistula (15 gauge)
12.30.10: Catheter Removed
07.01.11: Laparoscopic CAPD Catheter insertion
07.29.11: Started CAPD, 2000ml, 4 exchanges (Baxter)
08.15.11: Started filling with 1500ml (instead of 2000ml), 4 exchanges
08.21.11: Back to 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3-2.5% & 1-1.5%)
10.12.11: 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3 1.5% & 1-2.5% overnight)
11.08.11: Transplant list

Dialysis works for me, I don't work for dialysis!
It's my body, my health!!
rsudock
Elite Member

« Reply #1130 on: August 14, 2011, 09:56:09 PM »

At least they shared an opinion.  The only person in my family who I've asked that's given me an answer was my brother, and he said no.

Then they all promote organ donation on their facebook pages. bunch of hypocrites.

hypocrites and jerks!

I think I got you all beat when it comes to dumb (more like hurtful things) family has said re: kidney donation...

I had my only blood brother ready to go be tested as is my half sister... then my father convinced them both not to be tested then said to me and I will quote him, "I don't want Paulie (Brother) to be tested because I do not know what I would do if something were to ever happen to him." 

you can pick your friends not your family!!!

What about if something would happen to you? OMG families are infuriating sometimes!! Aagghh!   :stressed;

Well ladies at least we have each other!  :cuddle;

xo,
R

1995 - AV Fistula placed
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1131 on: August 14, 2011, 09:59:04 PM »

AT LEAST THEY DON'T WANT THE MONEY YOUR DEAD MOTHER LEFT TO YOU TO HELP PAY YOUR MEDICAL BILLS BECAUSE YOU HAVE A FLIPPING INCURABLE DISEASE!!!!! :rofl;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
rsudock
Elite Member

« Reply #1132 on: August 14, 2011, 10:01:28 PM »

AT LEAST THEY DON'T WANT THE MONEY YOUR DEAD MOTHER LEFT TO YOU TO HELP PAY YOUR MEDICAL BILLS BECAUSE YOU HAVE A FLIPPING INCURABLE DISEASE!!!!! :rofl;

wow moosema all these threads are coming full circle into each other aren't they? the world makes sense yet again! :)

xo,
R

1995 - AV Fistula placed
brandi1leigh

« Reply #1133 on: August 14, 2011, 10:29:12 PM »

I have a story that left me speechless. A friend of mine, someone I've known for years and who is friends with my mom as well and who has been  "in" on all of my health issues since they started, provided this gem.

So my friend (let's call her Jackie) was pregnant. It's her third child. Every time she's been pregnant, she's failed her first glucose test and her doctor requires her to go through an extended one. So, the day after the extended glucose test, she was describing to me what it was like. She had to drink this awful stuff and then have blood drawn every thirty minutes for 4 hours to see where her glucose levels were. I was very sympathetic and told her so. Her reply...wait for it.."It was awful and you just can't understand what's it like to have sit in a doctor's office and be poked with needles for four hours." My reply, "I think I can imagine it." To which she responded, "NO. YOU CAN'T! Unless you've done it, you just won't understand." This conversation occurred 6 month after I started in-center hemo.

Really? Really? I think if there's one thing I can understand, it's sitting in a chair being poked with needles. Ridiculous.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1134 on: August 14, 2011, 10:32:59 PM »

brandi1leigh, surely you are making that up because that is just too bizarre to be true.  Ouch...I just fell out of my chair.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1135 on: August 14, 2011, 10:41:05 PM »

Plus what they don't get is our needles are much bigger!

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1136 on: August 14, 2011, 10:44:23 PM »

I know!  I've had people whine about blood tests to me, until I showed them what a 15 gauge looks like and told them I stuck them in my own arm.  22 gauge butterfly needles are not enough to whine about unless you have an actual needle phobia!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Dannyboy

« Reply #1137 on: August 14, 2011, 11:52:59 PM »

[...shaking my head in amazement.....]

---Dan

ESRD Summer 2011
Started using NxStage September, 2011
"Everything is funny as long as it is happening to Somebody Else"--Will Rogers

Alcoa and Reynolds are in a bidding war to buy my serum Aluminum.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1138 on: August 15, 2011, 03:49:35 AM »

I have a story that left me speechless. A friend of mine, someone I've known for years and who is friends with my mom as well and who has been  "in" on all of my health issues since they started, provided this gem.

So my friend (let's call her Jackie) was pregnant. It's her third child. Every time she's been pregnant, she's failed her first glucose test and her doctor requires her to go through an extended one. So, the day after the extended glucose test, she was describing to me what it was like. She had to drink this awful stuff and then have blood drawn every thirty minutes for 4 hours to see where her glucose levels were. I was very sympathetic and told her so. Her reply...wait for it.."It was awful and you just can't understand what's it like to have sit in a doctor's office and be poked with needles for four hours." My reply, "I think I can imagine it." To which she responded, "NO. YOU CAN'T! Unless you've done it, you just won't understand." This conversation occurred 6 month after I started in-center hemo.

Really? Really? I think if there's one thing I can understand, it's sitting in a chair being poked with needles. Ridiculous.

Time to invite "Jackie" sweetie into clinic for a wee visit while you're there..on the other hand you could send her a YouTube video of someone self-cannulating.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
dawn24

« Reply #1139 on: August 15, 2011, 05:50:52 AM »

Wow.  Just WOW
brandi1leigh

« Reply #1140 on: August 15, 2011, 08:48:04 AM »

I wish I was making it up. She's said some other gems but that one's my favorite. Sometimes you just have to laugh at that kind of thing.
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1141 on: August 15, 2011, 08:56:13 AM »

i think its interesting that some people think a grain of sand is a huge problem, versus their neighbors sandcastle.
One person may handle a situation like ours alot better than another.

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #1142 on: August 15, 2011, 02:12:07 PM »

Time to invite "Jackie" sweetie into clinic for a wee visit while you're there..on the other hand you could send her a YouTube video of someone self-cannulating.
Here...send her mine.  :rofl;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4-u04Jh3XM

Desert Dancer

« Reply #1143 on: August 15, 2011, 02:22:08 PM »

My reply, "I think I can imagine it." To which she responded, "NO. YOU CAN'T! Unless you've done it, you just won't understand." This conversation occurred 6 month after I started in-center hemo.

That's when I'd've whipped out the 15 gauges, shoved them under her nose and said, "Three times a week, BAYBEE, for the rest of my life. Wanna trade places?"

The freakin' nerve of some people.  :Kit n Stik;

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1144 on: August 15, 2011, 02:47:36 PM »

I wish I was making it up. She's said some other gems but that one's my favorite. Sometimes you just have to laugh at that kind of thing.

That's true.  And after you finish laughing, you come to IHD and tell us all about it so that we can get a good giggle out of it, too. ::)

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1145 on: September 26, 2011, 06:12:41 PM »

I had to come find this thread because I have a corker of a story...

I had to go to the transplant center over in Chicago today for my cardiac consult.  Took two hours in the morning traffic, and it was bucketing down with rain.  Last year, they let me have my consult with a local cardiologist but this year, they wanted me to go to a guy at the transplant hospital.  God forbid anyone think of the convenience of the patient... ::)

So since the center is a training hospital, I had to first be examined and then questioned by a student resident.  OK, fiine.  This is part of that scintillating conversation (paraphrased):

(resident) So, you're on the which list?

(me)  Kidney.

(him) And what's wrong with your kidneys?

(me)  I have fsgs.

(him)  Why do you have that?

(me) I got nothing.  I'm not even sure I heard the question right.  Uh, hm.. I JUST DON'T KNOW!  Hey, you haven't done your nephrology rotation yet, have you.

It was a long day. ::)

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1146 on: September 26, 2011, 07:57:11 PM »

....continuation

(you)  it was my turn, you never know, you could be next....just my luck, and now I have you, another case of FSGS...f****** strange goofy student.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1147 on: September 26, 2011, 08:06:46 PM »

OR

(me)  Yeah, I should have chosen some other horrible disease. 

He seemed really out of his depth.  He was either nervous, or else I bored him, because he kept asking me the same questions and I had to keep repeating myself.  I cannot IMAGINE that I could BORE him, though! :rofl;  I have whining down to a fine art!

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1148 on: September 26, 2011, 08:09:46 PM »

My latest wasn't the comment - it was the tone of surprise that went with it.

I just had my last follow-up with the surgeon who did my abdominal repair.  I was asking questions about specific exercises and activities I was going to be allowed to do, both now and in the future.  He demonstrated a few, and said that an upright posture was really, really important to help restrengthen the damaged abdominal muscles.  He told me that back pain was one of the most common complaints from patients recovering from similar surgeries.

I said I'd already figured that out - and I'd spent about a week while I was still housebound walking around with a book on my head (just like Grandma told us to do when we were dumb enough to think being in a beauty pageant would be cool!) because I had realized I was getting back pain from hunching to protect my guts and from the stress of the shortened muscles that had been forcibly pulled back into place in the center.

"You are really self-aware with your health issues!" 

Well, duh.  I've been seeing this guy on a regular basis since January - and it took him this long to figure that out?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1149 on: September 26, 2011, 10:51:52 PM »

Well, someone has to be aware of our health issues because doctors often aren't. ::)

Good for you!

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »