I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 03:36:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 464254 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1025 on: August 06, 2010, 02:56:17 PM »

Senior-Chief welcome to IHD.  Please go introduce yourself.  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?board=14.0

OK  Back on topic please.        :police:

Rerun, Moderator 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 02:57:32 PM by Rerun » Logged

woodsman

« Reply #1026 on: August 06, 2010, 03:08:27 PM »

Neighbor said to me "your no fun any more!!!  nice guy...  then he was run over by his own tractor while unloding it from a trailor, he is fine but his leg is not, i said to him your no fun anymore and walked away!!!! :yahoo;   KARMA
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1027 on: August 06, 2010, 05:48:57 PM »

Neighbor said to me "your no fun any more!!!  nice guy...  then he was run over by his own tractor while unloding it from a trailor, he is fine but his leg is not, i said to him your no fun anymore and walked away!!!! :yahoo;   KARMA

:rofl;

Dragonette

Fred Durst's #1 Fan

« Reply #1028 on: August 08, 2010, 11:45:45 AM »

"Now that you have a new kidney,do you stilll have to do dialysis?"

"Yes, and that is why I went through all that! I just wanted more surgery, medications and bloodwork. That, and I liked the attention. Oh yeah, and the wonderful hospital food  :puke; :sarcasm;

I dislike Fred Durst immensely,and this avatar and title are a joke. If you like Limp Bizquik as I call them, this is not here to offend you, it is here as a joke!
senior-chief

« Reply #1029 on: August 08, 2010, 03:17:54 PM »

My pet peeve?  Friends tell me how great and how wonderful I look.  Inference:  it can't be "that" bad.

Des
Elite Member

« Reply #1030 on: August 10, 2010, 01:27:05 AM »

I had to arrange an alternative transport to D on Wednesday. An old guy from church picked me up and he was very annoyed that I choze to go to the hospital for dialysis. His friend's brother does it at home and he has no problems whatsoever.
Very patiently I told him that his friends brother is on PD and I am on HD and that I didn't CHOOSE to do anything but are very reluctantly forced to do so, to stay alive.

Why don't they just ask.. but they love to make assumptions on a tit-bit of information they heard somewhere from someone.

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1031 on: October 01, 2010, 01:58:58 PM »

OK, OK, OK...so I am not the posterlady for "Suffering with Grace" and "CKD Makes Me Happy and Teaches Me How to be a Better Person."  I accept that.  But get this...yesterday I had to go to the bank because I had a CD that had matured, and I wanted to take out a lump sum and put the rest in a new CD.  It so happens that I am getting my basement laundry room refinished because that's where I am going to be setting up the waterworks for NxStage and where I will be storing my supplies, and I don't want it to be the Black Hole that it is now.  So I sit down with the nice bank lady and tell her what I want to do.  She has the audacity to obliquely ask me what I am planning on doing with the lump sum I am taking out (no doubt hoping that I am planning to reinvest it in her bank).  As my next stop was to my neph appt (which, as you know, always makes me go nuts), I was not in the gentlest of moods, so since she asked, I told her.  She looked quite pitiful and gobsmacked, and then do you know what she said????  She said, "Well, you seem like you've accepted what's happened; you sound so happy."  :rofl; :rofl;  ME!  MOOSEMOM!  Sounding "happy"!??  And then you know what she said??????  SHE SAID THE ONE THING THAT IS GUARANTEED TO MAKE ME GO BALLISTIC!! She told me that God doesn't give us more that what we can cope with.  Like God Himself told her that.  I just looked at her and told her that I had seen people crumple under the pressure of all sorts of tragedy (I used to be a volunteer counsellor to parents of autistic/special needs kids, so I know what I'm talking about).  Anyway, I just had to laugh (after I got out of there)...that someone told me that I seem "happy" and "accepting".  She obviously hasn't read my IHD posts.  I thought you all might get a giggle out of this.  And I hope y'all will be proud of my acting skills.  "And the Academy Award goes to...."

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1032 on: October 01, 2010, 02:39:20 PM »

Oooooh, I hate that "God doesn't give us more than we can handle" BS!    How about the number of people who can't handle their lives and commit suicide?   How about what he's given to abused kids?  Shall I ask my friends' 4 adopted children, all siblings from the same mother, all under the age of 8, how they managed to handle what God gave them?  Or maybe all the belt scars on their little backs are answer enough for that!

Okay, off soap box here - but that one makes my teeth grind.   :rant;

Oh, and it's 5 kids now - they just adopted the mom's latest newborn, too - but at least "mom" didn't have a chance to hurt or half-starve that one.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1033 on: October 01, 2010, 03:29:32 PM »

Oooooh, I hate that "God doesn't give us more than we can handle" BS!   

It's a dumb saying. Look at the people killed in the holocaust. I'd say they got more than they could handle.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
casper2636

« Reply #1034 on: October 01, 2010, 04:22:14 PM »

I would have been ballistic!! And then smacked her to where the sun don't shine :Kit n Stik;
mogee

« Reply #1035 on: October 01, 2010, 07:55:42 PM »

I have a series of ten buttonholes along the length of my fistula.  Because I've been dialysing for years they are slightly dimpled.

I was buying groceries and the cashier noticed the holes in my arm.  She was well tattooed and had several piercings.  She asked me about my buttonholes. It seemed to me that she was interested in them as another form of body modification.  After I explained their purpose she looked a bit disappointed that they weren't ornamental.

PKD and IgA Glomerularnephritis
Nocturnal Home Hemo since 2004
Deceased Donor Transplant November 6, 2012
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1036 on: October 01, 2010, 09:39:54 PM »

Okay, that's just funny, mogee!  Just think, if you dress punk, no one would notice the fistula anymore!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1037 on: October 01, 2010, 09:44:33 PM »

Mogee, that's a really funny story.  I bet that's not the answer she expected!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
needlephobic

« Reply #1038 on: October 01, 2010, 11:42:44 PM »

The all time stupid question  Say you had surgery or broke a arm or leg ect ect somebody has to ask DID IT HURT? 
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #1039 on: October 02, 2010, 08:16:18 AM »

I have a series of ten buttonholes along the length of my fistula.  Because I've been dialysing for years they are slightly dimpled.

I was buying groceries and the cashier noticed the holes in my arm.  She was well tattooed and had several piercings.  She asked me about my buttonholes. It seemed to me that she was interested in them as another form of body modification.  After I explained their purpose she looked a bit disappointed that they weren't ornamental.
:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1040 on: October 02, 2010, 01:07:13 PM »

I love that....

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
murphy

« Reply #1041 on: October 02, 2010, 10:16:04 PM »

we had a visiting nurse for awhile.  He actually said " i'm sure you'd be a very nice person if you weren't so uremic"  I feel sorry for whichever fresinious clinic he went to next.
Restorer

« Reply #1042 on: October 02, 2010, 11:53:57 PM »

we had a visiting nurse for awhile.  He actually said " i'm sure you'd be a very nice person if you weren't so uremic"  I feel sorry for whichever fresinious clinic he went to next.
What you should have said in response: "I'm sure you'd be a very nice person if you weren't so much of an asshole."  :Kit n Stik;  :rofl;

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1043 on: October 03, 2010, 12:30:10 AM »

This just doesn't even make any sense. ::)

ChickenLittle56

Chickenlittle and Maria

« Reply #1044 on: October 03, 2010, 02:43:39 AM »

uThe worst thing anyone told me was a family member telling me tat I should go into a nursing home. This was when I fist started going to D and having al lot of medical issues. :stressed;

As I was coming out the Nephrologist office, I thought the sky was falling.
Knew I was going on dialysis since November 1999.
Had a fistula put in January 2000.
Been on 4-1/2 hour dialysis since August 28, 2001. (They took out 35Kg that single week)

Maria hasbeen on hemodualysis since January, 2005
sillysar30

« Reply #1045 on: October 03, 2010, 12:13:24 PM »

I had my best friends boyfriend say  I look like a heroin addict , yea needless to say I don't hang around him much anymore for fear that i'll deck him, Or that my boyfriend will deck him  :Kit n Stik;

03/25/2010-permcath placed
03/30/2010- fistula surgery
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1046 on: October 03, 2010, 03:31:55 PM »

I was 26 when I started D and was teaching French at a university in Nova Scotia, Canada.  A student approached me one day and told me that some students had noticed the "track" marks on my arm and were wondering if I was an addict.  I was actually grateful for this person's honesty and it gave me a chance to talk to my class about dialysis and organ donation.  A few students opted to check me out at home hooked up to the machine ( I ended up tutoring one of them during my first hour on) and quite a few wanted to know how to sign up to become organ donors.
 People often say rubbish because they're horribly uncomfortable...if you were a heroin addict you could go to detox and get off the heroin...getting off D is tricky too...maybe he'd like to donate a kidney so you wouldn't have to needle yourself any more  (fat chance right?).

Then of course you could make him feel really bad by telling him about how damned hard it is to be so young (never easy mind you, no matter our age) and have to go through all you do.    :cuddle; :cuddle;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
sillysar30

« Reply #1047 on: October 03, 2010, 04:17:41 PM »

thank you honey, and that selfish prick would never donate a kidney , I really have a strong dislike for him
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:19:03 PM by sillysar30 » Logged

03/25/2010-permcath placed
03/30/2010- fistula surgery
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1048 on: October 03, 2010, 04:25:28 PM »

thank you honey, and that selfish prick would never donate a kidney , I really have a strong dislike for him

I'm not surprised you dislike him.  What a moron.  Really...how can a person be so obviously obnoxious?

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1049 on: October 03, 2010, 08:48:29 PM »

When talking to someone about dialysis, and they say something stupid like, "you're too young to have to go through something like that" I smile very sweetly and say, "I was 12 when I started." Usually shuts them up.  It's the people who don't believe you could be on dialysis, cuz "that only happens to old people."  It's a problem that I have with a lot of information about coping with kidney disease, it's usually focusing on people 50+.  I'm 32 years old and I've been living with kidney disease for 20 years.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »