I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 09:26:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  VITS END
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: VITS END  (Read 22958 times)
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« on: October 11, 2007, 03:11:37 PM »

:banghead; :banghead;  :rant; :rant;
Len was admitted to our local hospital last night. Yesterday afternoon, he was doubled over in stomach pain and then started throwing up, quite violently, I got him in the car and took him to the hospital at 3:30 and I got home around midnight and he still was in the emergency room waiting for a room. They had given him some pain medication, anti-nausea and blood pressure medication. They called in he's GP and he got on the phone with the transplant Hospital. At first they said they were going to fly him out but that changed when they determined he didn't have a bowel blockage. They did chest xray, CAT scan and of course a shit load of blood test. He's nurse called me at 1 am to get a bunch of information and I finally went to bed at 2:45 this morning to get up at 7 and start all over again.  When I got to the hospital this morning they said that his CAT scan was read by some hospital in New York and he has puenima. GP doctor was going to put in NG tube because his stomach wasn't emptying and he hadn't had a bowel movement so everything was backing up.  >:( >:( A surgeon came in and said that wasn't a good idea just yet.  :banghead; They are doing everything they can to make sure he doesn't go into rejection. The lastest labs show his creatinine at 1.1 but white count still up (down from last night but still high). His blood pressure at one point last night was 284/104 with a pulse of 129. Scared the crap out of me. They are giving him a lot of IV fluids but nothing by mouth. He just hates that. He is starting to pee more again, finally. One doctor even wondered out loud if the stent was causing the high white count. It just seems we take one step forward and then 2 or 3 backwards. I justed needed to vent and I know you guys listen. If you have a spare prayer, I'd appreciate it as I feel we need them.

willieandwinnie

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 03:19:07 PM »

Oh man, what a night for you both. I pray they figure out how to get Len some relief! Please let us know how he's doing.

HUGS  :grouphug;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 03:19:40 PM »

So sorry hunni!!! Your in my prayers! Both of you.  :grouphug;  I hope they get everything fixed soon and you can finally get settled back down again.  :cuddle;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 04:29:35 PM »

sending good thoughts- what a crappy night for you guys- hope they figure it all out!  :grouphug;

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 05:04:13 PM »

Sending positive thoughts , hope they figure out whats going on :grouphug;

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 05:23:09 PM »

:o How awful for both of you!  Good thoughts and prayers being sent your way.  Please keep us posted.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 05:39:27 PM »

Oh hon! This has been such a stressful journey for the two of you. I so hope they get him stabilized and don't do any injury to the kidney!  By all means, come on here and RANT!! I so hope you can get some sleep though. I know, that's hard to even think of, but you need to be rested for HIM, so you can be there for him!!  Hang tough, we're praying for the two of you! :grouphug;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 07:49:34 PM »

Oh what a night you had. Good wishes to you both.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 12:50:49 AM »

:grouphug;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
2_DallasCowboys

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 02:47:19 AM »

Hi,

So sorry to read about your terrible nite.  Sending you prayers from New Jersey,
I hope all will be well

Anne and Les
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 06:01:25 AM »

So sorry about this!  My best wishes and thoughts are with you both.   :grouphug;

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
poohkari

Wade and I.

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 10:59:40 PM »

:grouphug; im thinking of you two!

Girlfriend of Wade, on dialysis since 5/11/07 and NxStage since 8/20/07. We're hoping for a transplant as soon as his "FGP" is gone!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 08:04:32 AM »

Sending some prayers and extra {{{HUGS}}} - please let us know how you and Len are doing.  :cuddle;

willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 01:36:55 PM »

I have type a paragraph two times and lost it both times. I'm going to try one last time.

Len was transfered back to Washington Hospital Center (transplant hospital) Sunday night. They think he has a bowel blockage. This is how it all started almost 7 years ago. It is how he lost his kidneys in the first place. They said he has pneumonia, his potassium is low, phosphates and magnesium. They put an NG tube in (Len hates those things), hooked up all kinds of IVs and took him for xrays and CT scan. The transplant doctor said that the new kidney is working like a champ. It is getting so hard to watch him go through all this. He is down to 129 lbs, I asked the trauma surgeon about TPN for some nourishment and he said that they will decide tomorrow.

Well, I just got off the phone with Len, he passed a lot of gas and had a bowel movement (YEAH) and while he was in the bathroom with nurse nearby he had a couching fit and out came the NG tube. He says his throat already feels better. He has lost so much of the nerves in his belly that he can't always tell when he needs to go to the bathroom. The nurse had to clean him up and change his sheets. I did that today while I was there. Oh well.  I did make him go for a walk down the hall. They stopped pain medication because they said that it can slow things down. I'm sure Dr. Paul (trauma surgeon) will be so happy that he passed gas and had a bowel movement. I don't know what they are going to do about NG tube???

As for me, I am emotionally and physically drained. I spend well over 4 hours everday on the road in horrible traffic. I hate seeing him in pain and laying in a hospital bed. I'm tired of paying through the ass for gasoline and parking gargages. I don't mean for this to sound like a pity party but I really am tired. I don't think I have a tear left in me.

Karol, thanks so much for emailing me. At that moment, you don't know how much I needed it.

Well, that's about it for right now. Please keep the prayers coming and I'll post again when I know more.

Kathy
willieandwinnie

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 01:43:57 PM »

Kathy,

I don't have any words of wisdom, but I am so sorry you're going through this. We're all thinking of you and praying for you and Len.  :grouphug;  :grouphug;

Katie

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 01:46:02 PM »

We can feel your pain and fatigue through your words. Wish there was something we could do. We will keep you in our prayers and constant thoughts.  Give Len our best wishes. Hang in there--we are here for you. :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
2_DallasCowboys

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 02:58:55 PM »

Lots of prayers and good wishes going out to
both of you from us.  I am very sorry you both are
goingthru this.   I hope everything will be AOK for
you both!!!

Anne and Les
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 05:42:36 PM »

So glad for Len, it's a step forward to him feeling better!   :clap;  I'm sure you are exhausted, so sorry!  Is there anyone who you can stay with while he is in the hospital?  I hope you get a good nights sleep.  You deserve it!!!!  :bow; :cuddle;

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 12:42:07 PM »

Lasted update. I just walked in the door after driving over 2 hours in the pouring rain and called Len to let him know I was home. He said transplant surgeon is taking him to OR this afternoon to remove the stent they put in during transplant. They let him have liquids today and trauma surgeon said he dodged a bullet this time. They said they are going to let him have some soft food tonight and see how he does. If he tolerates it and has bowel movement they may discharge him tomorrow afternoon. I am so relieved, I can even explain it.  :bandance;

I can't tell you how much your prayers and notes of encouragement mean to me. You all take care and I'll keep posting.

Kathy
willieandwinnie

MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2007, 01:10:25 PM »

That is WONDERFUL!!!!!!   Oh, I am so pleased!!!!! It's about time, darn it, that things start going well for you two!!!!! :2thumbsup;
pinkrose

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 01:42:27 PM »

:bandance; Great news! I hope you can rest now!  :cuddle;

A life with love will have some thorns, but a life without love will have no roses.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 02:15:56 PM »

:yahoo; I am so happy to hear he's doing better - I hope he can come home soon. Take care!  :cuddle;

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2007, 03:58:34 PM »

Glad for any little bit of good news for the both of you. Hope you can get some rest.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 12:11:56 PM »

Hi Everybody

Just a quick message to let you know that I brought Len home today.  :bandance;
He is pretty tired and I'm going to get him to lie down and I have already started on dinner. I hope both of us sleep tonight. I can't tell you what a great bunch of folks you are.  :grouphug; It's nice that people out there really do know what I am going thru and just don't think I am a whinner. Thanks again and I'll keep posting.

Kathy
willieandwinnie

Edited: Fixed banana icon - okarol/moderator
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 12:31:11 PM by okarol » Logged

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2007, 12:29:53 PM »

Yeah!! I hope you both can enjoy your dinner and get many hours of restful, refreshing sleep.  You have had a tough time lately.  Give Ken our good wishes! :grouphug;

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »