I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:38:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  EXERCISE
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EXERCISE  (Read 108333 times)
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2006, 08:31:18 PM »

I also have a question.  The logic often used to prevent patients having a heavy meal during dialysis is that it pulls blood flow to the digestive tract.  (I remember seeing a study posted on another board which supports this.)  Wouldn't using exercise pedals cause the same problem during dialysis by pulling blood flow to the leg muscles? ???
I think the study behind exersizing while on dialysis supported that it improves blood circulation and is part of why it help the dilaysis run go better and also was noted that 20% more toxins were removed during the run.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2006, 09:05:44 PM »

Black,

You're absolutely right.  Before any patient begins an exercise program, they need to consult their doctor.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2006, 11:31:08 PM »

Well, I haven't been to the gym for months.  I was having a gouty pain in one of my feet.  Recently my neph has been asking me about my exercise.  I went yesterday to swipe my card and see if my subscription is still intact.  Yes it is! And I will be back on the threadmill.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2006, 02:17:18 AM »

Well, I haven't been to the gym for months.  I was having a gouty pain in one of my feet.  Recently my neph has been asking me about my exercise.  I went yesterday to swipe my card and see if my subscription is still intact.  Yes it is! And I will be back on the threadmill.
I wish I had someone to work out with. If I lived near you we could go together ;)  :clap;

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2006, 01:00:50 PM »

>:D When I need to exercise I go to the Arcade. Playing some of those games not only keeps me out of the kitchen but takes a lot out of me. lol ::)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 01:03:40 PM by sluff » Logged
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2006, 03:12:33 AM »

>:D When I need to exercise I go to the Arcade. Playing some of those games not only keeps me out of the kitchen but takes a lot out of me. lol ::)
oh soooo true!! Anything that keeps me out of that fridge is a very VERY POSITIVE thing!!  :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup;

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
tubes

Miss you so much Susie. Will always <3 you!

« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2006, 07:46:07 PM »

I started exercising last april.  Went regularly for about 3 1/2 months.  I was able to get my blood pressure and heart rate under control.  Then I stopped going.  Didnt go at all in August or Sept.  Finally got back in last Tuesday.  My favorite maching to use is the Elliptical/Cross Trainer.  I went to the gym for about 10 mins, was on the Elliptical for 7 mins.  My heart rate JUMPED to 180.  So I got off right away.  Guess I need to start out on the treadmill....slowly.
I do lift weights at home.  I ly down on my bed to do them.  I dont want to do anymore damage to my back with the osteoporosis and all.  Also the building I live in has 4 flights of stairs.  Sometimes I will go up and down them a couple of times.

"To be happy is the choice I wish to make in spite of the circumstances that are strewn in my path."

1996 - started incenter hemo
a few months later, started PD
2005 - started incenter hemo
AGAIN
  - on transplant list as of August 7, 2009.
2011/June - 15 years on "D"
Transplant - Tuesday October 18th 2011
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2006, 02:50:32 AM »

Also the building I live in has 4 flights of stairs.  Sometimes I will go up and down them a couple of times.[/color]
That is what I am going to start doing since I live on the 5th floor in my building ;) :thumbup;

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2006, 09:38:38 PM »

Walking up and down the stairs is a great way to exercise.  Works those gluts!
 :beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2006, 10:29:16 PM »

I can barely step up onto a curb much less go up a flight of stairs,  my legs are shot.   Good luck to you guys who are even attempting it,   :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
sandman

« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2006, 11:09:43 PM »

Try ankle weights if you can't walk stairs.
AlasdairUK

« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2006, 09:40:00 AM »

The last three weeks I have been bike ridding with my mate and yesterday we rode 30 miles. I never thought this was possible being on dialysis. It just shows that once you get some level of fitness we can be healthier that A lot of normal people.

There was a link to a man who has completed the Iron Man Race whilst being on dialysis. This had been an inspiration for me and shown me that being on dialysis is just too easy an excuse not to push yourself.

You do need to asses your own health and do what you can, you do not want to damage your health. The aim is to improve it. So be sensible, but you can probably do more than you thought.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2006, 11:23:12 AM »

Good advice! Give me inspiration! I know I do feel better than last year but had lost lots of muscle! Only ONE way to get it back  :thumbup;

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
tubes

Miss you so much Susie. Will always <3 you!

« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2006, 06:05:36 PM »

Try ankle weights if you can't walk stairs.

Ankle weights....great idea.  I have some.  I wore them to work when i was 20.  Bad idea....couldn't lift my legs to get into my car afterwards. lol......I think I will try them again to walk the stairs or just the hallway.  ;D

"To be happy is the choice I wish to make in spite of the circumstances that are strewn in my path."

1996 - started incenter hemo
a few months later, started PD
2005 - started incenter hemo
AGAIN
  - on transplant list as of August 7, 2009.
2011/June - 15 years on "D"
Transplant - Tuesday October 18th 2011
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2006, 01:43:32 AM »

I need to buy some :P

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
sandman

« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2006, 06:42:56 PM »

Have a look around at sporting goods stores as I have recently seen ankle weights of different varieties.  You can even get ankle weights that are adjustable with rod inserts.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2006, 10:53:41 PM »

Have a look around at sporting goods stores as I have recently seen ankle weights of different varieties.  You can even get ankle weights that are adjustable with rod inserts.
Really? Well we can look at some if you drive me around cuz I don't know where any are to go bussin' it :P

Does anyone know if the exercycle at dialysis is good enough to help anyone lose weight? I know it helps remove more toxins during dialysis .. but I want to know beyond that.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2006, 04:02:35 AM »

Does anyone know if the exercycle at dialysis is good enough to help anyone lose weight? I know it helps remove more toxins during dialysis .. but I want to know beyond that.

It is possible but it would be very slow going if that was the only type of exercise done.  A person needs to burn 3500 calories over what they eat to lose 1 pound.  That can be done through exercise or diet or a combo of both. 
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2006, 09:22:39 AM »

I can never understand why they recommend exercise for dialysis patients.  Normal hemoglobin for a male is 140, and even in the 120 range, an otherwise healthy male would never be instructed by his doctor to exercise, since such a severe degree of anemia is considered a contraindication for exercise.  But with renal patients, given that it is unsafe to use sufficient EPO to bring the Hgb level to normal, so that most patients languish in severe anemia forever, in the 90 to 120 range, why is exercise recommended?!  Dialysis patients have the further problem that muscle mass tends to be lost without functioning kidneys to normalize protein metabolism, and exercise raises creatinine levels by muscle breakdown, so again, they should be told not to exercise, since it is toxic for them!  In the occasional patient with some degree of fluid overload, exercise can also carry a higher than normal risk for heart failure.

I suspect that the reason exercise is recommended is psycho-social: the patients and their doctors both need to pretend that there is something that can actively and usefully be done to improve things in the otherwise hopeless trap of the dialysis world, so they shut their eyes to the facts and pretend that exercise will help make things all right again.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2006, 05:40:20 PM »

Actually exercise has many benefits for those on dialysis.

Builds stronger bones, helps sweat out toxins, builds the cardio system (more stamina), people have less low blood pressure episodes, helps maintain muscle mass, help maintain weight and more.

It takes quite a bit of exercise IMO to release enough creatinine to be of any harm.

I change my exercise throughout the year and exercise and lift weights pretty heavy and in the whole time my creatinine levels haven't changed from that of when I first started dialysis and didn't exercise.

The one thing to remember is not to exercise while full of excess fluid and when exercising that dialysis patients can exercise at a lower intensity level compared to those whose kidneys work.
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2006, 09:17:07 PM »

I can never understand why they recommend exercise for dialysis patients.  Normal hemoglobin for a male is 140, and even in the 120 range, an otherwise healthy male would never be instructed by his doctor to exercise, since such a severe degree of anemia is considered a contraindication for exercise.  But with renal patients, given that it is unsafe to use sufficient EPO to bring the Hgb level to normal, so that most patients languish in severe anemia forever, in the 90 to 120 range, why is exercise recommended?!  Dialysis patients have the further problem that muscle mass tends to be lost without functioning kidneys to normalize protein metabolism, and exercise raises creatinine levels by muscle breakdown, so again, they should be told not to exercise, since it is toxic for them!  In the occasional patient with some degree of fluid overload, exercise can also carry a higher than normal risk for heart failure.

I suspect that the reason exercise is recommended is psycho-social: the patients and their doctors both need to pretend that there is something that can actively and usefully be done to improve things in the otherwise hopeless trap of the dialysis world, so they shut their eyes to the facts and pretend that exercise will help make things all right again.

What would you have us do?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 09:25:24 PM by Zach » Logged

I make films.

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2006, 02:57:15 AM »

This is EXACTLY why I don't exercise!

sandman

« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2006, 03:55:15 AM »

But if you don't exercise, won't you lose muscle and bone dencity?  You can't just not exercise.
AlasdairUK

« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2006, 05:52:38 AM »

Here is a very good link about the benefits of exercise on dialysis with some sound advice when not to exercise:

http://www.kidney.org.uk/Medical-Info/other/keepfit.html

Extracts of the link:

How does exercise benefit me?

In addition to feelings of increased energy levels, other benefits from exercise include:

improved physical functioning
better blood pressure control
improved muscle strength
lowered levels of blood fats (cholesterol and triglycerides)
better sleep
better control of body weight

As high blood pressure, high blood pressure fats, kidney disease and being overweight increase your risk of getting heart disease, exercise may lessen your risk of heart disease. Some people who exercise also develop stronger bones. Exercise may also help prevent thinning bones - a problem that dialysis and transplant patients often have.

Do I need to see my doctor before starting exercise?

Yes. Before beginning any exercise program be sure to check with you doctor. If you have had any heart problems or the doctor is concerned about your condition, he or she may ask you to have a stress test. This will give the doctor information about what physical activities you can do. It is important to establish a pattern of regular physical activities as early in your treatment as possible.

It is very important that you follow your treatment plan. You should take your medicines and follow your diet and any other instructions. If you do not follow your treatment plan, you may develop problems that could be made worse by exercise. For example, if your heart and lungs are already strained by fluid overload because you have not followed your diet, exercise could increase the stress on these organs.

IMO exercise can only be seen as a healthy option, you may need to adjust your exercise routine according to your fitness level or health level. The fitter you are the more energy you will have and for renal patients where many people become tired quickly. Even healthy unfit people become tired quickly. It is too easy to blame everything on our illness, sure it plays a role but it should not define your life.

On another thread in IHD there was a link to Shad Ireland who competed an iron man competion (.http://www.shadireland.com/ ) I'm not asking everyone to go out and compete in the next one, but rather use Shad as a positive role model that exercise is possible within your limitations. Exercise should be part of your dialysis treatment along with diet, medicine and dialysis itself.  :twocents;

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #99 on: October 24, 2006, 12:15:15 PM »

Hmmmm,  i was wondering, i may not do alot of EXercise but does SEXercise count?   :2thumbsup; :clap;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »