I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:23:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  EXERCISE
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EXERCISE  (Read 108310 times)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #125 on: June 16, 2008, 01:25:23 PM »

I joined Curves. I participated in a study that Curves and Avon was doing. They asked for 3 workouts a week. I completed 18 in the study time. I didn't lose much as far as pounds, but I did lose inches. I am using less Ritalin. I go right after work. Even though I was working out at home, it was usually late. I think having the dedicated time to myself right after work has made the difference. I don't know how it will work when school statrs in the fall. I do feel stronger and less tired.

Romona, that is great!

Remember, muscle weighs more than fat, so losing inches and not weight means you're adding some muscle as you're burning the fat.
 :beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2008, 01:19:46 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement. My triglycerides were still high. I think Prograf has a lot to do with it. My other labs were great. My cholesterol is good. My good cholesterol needs to come up, but the bad is 60. I love how my arms are coming along. Even though I was was doing a upper body tape at home, I wasn't getting results like this. I am still walking on my breaks at work, weather permitting.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2008, 09:32:26 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement. My triglycerides were still high. I think Prograf has a lot to do with it. My other labs were great. My cholesterol is good. My good cholesterol needs to come up, but the bad is 60. I love how my arms are coming along. Even though I was was doing a upper body tape at home, I wasn't getting results like this. I am still walking on my breaks at work, weather permitting.

Do you take anything for your triglycerides? It is the Prograf btw, not you... I take Fenofibrate for mine.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2008, 10:23:32 AM »

Gregory Danovitch, 'Handbook of Kidney Transplantation,' (2001) says that the lipid abnormalities caused by immunosuppressive drugs, including elevated cholesterol, poor HDL/LDL ratios, and elevated trigylceride levels are NOT amenable to treatment by diet or exercise, but have to be addressed by medication.  Usually statin therapy or high dose niacin has to be used for this.
Robby712

« Reply #129 on: June 19, 2008, 11:49:02 AM »

Seven reasons from the mayo clinic to exercise that have nothing to do with "lipid abnormalities" that may also be benificial to dialysis patients...

Link: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/HQ01676

Includes such benefits as mood enhancement, decreased depression/anxiety, managing high blood pressure, healthier heart and lungs, weight management, better sleep, etc...

Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #130 on: June 19, 2008, 09:12:07 PM »

Seven reasons from the mayo clinic to exercise that have nothing to do with "lipid abnormalities" that may also be benificial to dialysis patients...

Link: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/HQ01676

Includes such benefits as mood enhancement, decreased depression/anxiety, managing high blood pressure, healthier heart and lungs, weight management, better sleep, etc...

Great link, Robby712.
8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

LightLizard

« Reply #131 on: July 03, 2008, 03:58:31 PM »

this is a useful site if you want simple exercises to maintain energy and improve stamina. these exercises have been used in china for centuries for physical therapy, mostly.
http://www.herbalshop.com/Xiang/xiang-gong.htm
 :)
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #132 on: July 30, 2008, 08:47:10 PM »

75 minutes of sixteen weight-resistance exercises.  Followed by an ice cold glass of strawberry flavored protein shake. YUM!

8)

I make films.

KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2008, 09:27:46 AM »

Another woman in my office and I take a walk during our morning break, and she makes us WORK! We usually walk around a mile in 15-20 minutes. The mornings I can motivate myself to get out of bed early enough (not often), I do a short yoga workout - Comcast On Demand is GREAT!

I tried running a few weeks ago, but it took until this past weekend for my ankles and knees to completely recover..that's what 26 years of prednisone will do to you, so no more running for me.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Robby712

« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2008, 12:36:35 PM »

KT:  When I was on Prednisone and Cyclosporine for 8 years I could work out 2 times a day 6 or 7 days a week.  Then when they took me off them to start dialysis I had to cut my lifting time to 3 or 4 times (hours) a week (instead of 6-12).  All of a sudden I needed this thing called "recovery time" for my sore muscles.  When I was on "the roids" :) I didn't feel a thing the day after a intense workout.

Oh well...now I guess I know what it feels like to be "normal" :D 
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2008, 07:05:56 PM »

75 minutes of sixteen weight-resistance exercises.  Followed by an ice cold glass of strawberry flavored protein shake. YUM!

8)

Holy cow, are you thinking of starting a second job as a fitness trainer?  I could use some of that. ..

I tried running a few weeks ago, but it took until this past weekend for my ankles and knees to completely recover..that's what 26 years of prednisone will do to you, so no more running for me.

Every other fitness article I read these days claims walking is just as good for you as running, anyhow.  I don't know what to believe anymore, but the one thing I'm sure of is that any exercise is better than none!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2008, 10:57:33 PM »

Holy cow, are you thinking of starting a second job as a fitness trainer?  I could use some of that. ..

I could sure use the $$.

:-*

I make films.

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #137 on: August 11, 2008, 04:00:34 PM »

I am not a couch potato
I am a computer potato
flip
Elite Member

« Reply #138 on: August 11, 2008, 06:18:05 PM »

I play golf several times a week.

That which does not kill me only makes me stronger - Neitzsche
Trikkechickk

« Reply #139 on: August 12, 2008, 02:18:06 AM »

I power-walk 2x per week at 5 - 6 miles.  Then I try to bike the other 2 non-dialysis days.  On D-days I nap and do errands.

I'm trying to "buff-up" for the transplant evaluation team.  I do notice that I am really tired the next day, especially after the walks.
bolta72

my best friend

« Reply #140 on: August 12, 2008, 05:24:50 AM »

Now I got to get up and get going.

gotta do what I gotta do.. 2 yrs in ctr hemo
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #141 on: August 12, 2008, 08:24:15 AM »

8/12/08
The downside of a miracle pill

By Dustin Stonecipher

America has always been at the forefront of the technological revolution. The steam engine, the personal computer, the melt-resistant chocolate bar - all are amazing scientific achievements. And all might be overshadowed soon by a new drug that seeks to transform the way humans live their lives. Someone has actually developed health-in-a-pill. Once someone develops a girlfriend/boyfriend-in-a-pill, Americans might never again see the light of day.

The pill, recently developed by the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, may become the couch potato's dream by providing the benefits of exercise in a once-a-day pill. Ron Evans, one of the study's authors, told MSNBC.com, "We have exercise in a pill. With no exercise, you can take a drug and chemically mimic it."

But the pill goes beyond getting rock hard-abs from sitting on your living room sofa. When coupled with exercise, the pill allowed sedentary mice to run 68 percent longer and 70 percent farther than mice who exercised without the drug. And it doesn't end there. Not only does the pill burn fat and provide endurance, but, according to the study, it enabled mice to resist weight gain on a high-fat diet, thus fighting obesity, and remove sugar from their blood, thus treating diabetes.

As I was planning my pizza and fried-Oreo party to commemorate this glorious achievement, I realized something. With the creation of this drug, what incentive will anyone have to do physical activity? In this world of sedentary pleasures like the Internet, video games and pizza rolls, why would anyone want to face the harsh realities of nature and movement?

As a nation, we need to be careful. According to a Kaiser Family Foundation study, children spend an average of 6.5 hours per day using - or rather, sitting with - some sort of electronic device, be it the television, a video game, computer or iPod. Adding those 6.5 hours to those needed for school and sleep, there's not much time left for exercise and the outdoors.

This is true for college students as well. How many times have you gone biking or swimming in the past month? According to a study at the University of New Hampshire, more than 40 percent of 18- to-24 year old college students are overweight or obese. And due to lower-income living, college students are also at risk for lower vitamin intake and higher fat intake, which can create serious future health problems.

Researchers say this new drug will be used to help people with genetic weight issues or those who could not otherwise perform physical activity because of surgery or age. But they're still calling it the "no-exercise pill," and the label speaks louder than the drug's intentions.

This pill is definitely a marvel of science and could go a long way in helping sick people. But it also sheds light on the epidemic of obesity that is clutching our nation in its pudgy little hands. There is a reason why an exercise pill still decades from potential human use is getting so much attention. Everyone wants a quick fix for America's big problem.

So far, the pill has only been tested on mice. Also, it only mimics aerobic exercise, not weight training. Regardless, it might be a long time before we see this thing on the shelves at CVS. But who wouldn't want to take a pill to become healthier if it became available? I know I would. But that would probably make me want to spend even less time exercising or even just outside. I feel like I should take advantage of my physical ability before age, family and the "real world" make it nearly impossible.

The ability to make the human body more efficient by manipulating naturally made chemicals is right out of a science fiction novel and can have far-reaching health benefits. With science progressing as fast as it is, who knows what we'll be able to do in the future?

I just can't wait until people can fly. I'm holding out for true weightlessness.

--- Stonecipher is an English and history senior.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2008, 08:48:57 AM »

exerwhat?
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2008, 09:44:23 AM »

These two different pills don't replace go old exercise, they just make it possible to increase the intensity.

For those who have done little or no exercise, to have the ability to do some.  And for those who do exercise, to have the ability to do much more.

8)

I make films.

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2008, 11:44:23 AM »

After going through PT for my hip, I have continued the exercises at home.  I really couldn't tell if it was doing any good until I went to Chicago. I could walk the same distance as everyone else!  My husband kept saying "you can't do this" and I kept thinking" but I can"!  I needed to rest, but that was fatigue and not ability to walk.  So, Zach, my little exercise is working and now I want to add a little more.  You are always encouraging and inspirational.  Thanks!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #145 on: August 18, 2008, 10:53:27 AM »

After going through PT for my hip, I have continued the exercises at home.  I really couldn't tell if it was doing any good until I went to Chicago. I could walk the same distance as everyone else!  My husband kept saying "you can't do this" and I kept thinking" but I can"!  I needed to rest, but that was fatigue and not ability to walk.  So, Zach, my little exercise is working and now I want to add a little more.  You are always encouraging and inspirational.  Thanks!

Congrats!!

:-*

I make films.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #146 on: August 18, 2008, 01:34:25 PM »

You did great in Chicago Paris - that was a big trek out to the pier!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #147 on: August 18, 2008, 07:02:04 PM »

Okarol, your experience with your injury helped me so much. I was wanting instant healing and pain relief, but you have given me the encouragement I needed to stick with the PT.  You just kept talking to me as we walked, explaining it took you a year to recover.  I didn't think PT was helping as much as I wanted but you gave me hope.  And I walked right along with every one else that night.  :2thumbsup;    And Zach, you just make us all want to be and do better.   :2thumbsup;   I don't like exercise but I do like feeling like I can still acccomplish something!   Thanks!!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #148 on: August 18, 2008, 08:07:57 PM »

When I get the urge to exercise I lay down until the urge goes away.  :rofl;
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #149 on: August 19, 2008, 04:15:54 AM »

When I get the urge to exercise I lay down until the urge goes away.  :rofl;

:yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :rofl;
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »