I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:51:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  EXERCISE
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EXERCISE  (Read 108339 times)
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2006, 09:24:26 PM »

Because dialysis patients have low Hb levels if they exercise at the same intensity that is often recommend to healthy people it will tend to burn more protein/muscle.  This is because in order to burn fat the body needs an adequate amount of oxygen.  If it is not present the body turns to using protein as its fuel.   Low Hb levels prevent dialysis patients from maintaining the proper oxygen level to exercise at such intensity levels.

Is this why I can't seem to lose the weight when it never was a problem for me before? I thought once I switched from PD to HD it would be easier .. but  it is not and there is one particular nurse who in the paste was rude to me about how I keep gaining tissue weight :(

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2006, 09:25:03 PM »

While exercise may not be appropriate for some patients, many can benefit from some form of exercise.  As BigSky said, intensity may be a problem.  I've found that exercise has helped counteract some of the long-term issues with dialysis, such as bone loss, muscle loss, and fatigue.  And studies do show it has helped with many other issues.     :)

As always, it's important to consult with your Nephrologist for the best exercise plan for your needs.

That being said, please read more about exercise and nutrition in the most recent issue of Family Focus Newspaper.  This an official publication of the National Kidney Foundation (U.S.A.).   Spring 2006  Vol 15, No 2.  It's entitled, STAYING STRONG With Nutrition and Exercise
By Maureen McCarthy, MPH, RD, CSR, LD and Patricia Gordon, RN, PhD  See pages 8-9.

http://www.kidney.org/patients/pfc/

It's under the heading:
Educational Materials
Family Focus Newspaper
Current Issue (PDF - 1.0MB)
Back Issues

or look here:

http://www.kidney.org/patients/pdf/ff_sp06.pdf
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 09:27:37 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
sandman

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2006, 09:25:10 PM »

Oh, that's pretty informative bigsky, thanks.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2006, 09:40:27 PM »

Is banging your head on a wall exercise?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2006, 09:54:06 PM »

You can build up those neck muscles ...  maybe even the traps!  Just make sure you do the front of the head and the back of the head for symmetry.    >:D

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2006, 10:02:30 PM »

You can build up those neck muscles ...  maybe even the traps!  Just make sure you do the front of the head and the back of the head for symmetry.    >:D

;D ;D ;D  Maybe I will at that. 

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
sandman

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2006, 10:18:32 PM »

;D ;D ;D  Maybe I will at that. 

I tried that a few times and it hurts like hell but you know what they say, no pain, no gain.  :P
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2006, 10:21:44 PM »

I just got this in email (thought it was suitable ;)!):

Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories a hour

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
sandman

« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2006, 10:33:06 PM »

I just got this in email (thought it was suitable ;)!):

Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories a hour

Really?  I guess I will keep trying it then.  ;D
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2006, 05:33:16 AM »

I've been trying that for years and I'm still fat.
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2006, 05:45:03 AM »

The problem with the data showing that dialysis patients who exercise are healthier and live longer is that the effect may not be due to exercise at all.  Rather, it could well just be that patients who are already doing better, who are already healthier, and who are already going to live longer, are the only ones who feel energetic and strong enough to exercise -- so the exercise is just an effect of their health, not a cause of it.

Before I started dialysis my hemoglobin values were regularly measured in the 150 to 160 range (for males the normal range is 140-170).  After dialysis, largely because of the exaggerated fear of EPO among most nephrologists, I was kept at a hemoglobin level of between 100 and 120, which left me profoundly anemic all the time by normal standards,  Now no doctor in his right mind would tell a patient with that degree of anemia to exercise!  On top of that, in the non-dialysis population, anemia in men is treated starting in the 130 range, and yet most dialysis patients treated with EPO are not even allowed to reach that range!

A further problem with dialysis and exercise is that the high level of toxins left in the body by dialysis often interferes with the pituitary gland's ability to send messages to the testes to produce testosterone.  This means that testosterone levels sink drastically, with the result that muscles disappear, no matter how much you exercise.  So exercising simply wears down the remaining muscle mass instead of improving it.

Tell that to all the dialysis patients at the European Transplant and Dialysis Sports Federation.     :P

There was a time when the elderly were told not to exercise ...
There was a time when diabetics were told not to exercise ...
There was a time when renal patients were told not to exercise ...
There was a time when the earth was flat ...

There have been advances in hemodialysis over the last ten years, both in the machines and the filters, as well as recommendations in adequate nutrient intake and toxin removal.  See the National Kidney Foundation (U.S.A.) guidelines:  http://www.kidney.org/professionals/kdoqi/guidelines_updates/nut_a15.html

and
http://www.kidney.org/professionals/kdoqi/guidelines_updates/nut_a17.html

Most dialysis patients can benefit from exercise, both men and women.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 09:47:07 AM by Zach » Logged

I make films.

Python

Bobby the Python

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2006, 09:44:32 AM »

Just a thought from someone who isn't on dialysis (could happen as I have Alports Syndrome but being female, it hasn't affected me to any degree - yet).  How about cycling with an electric bicycle?  I've been looking at these as a cheap, alternate form of transport.  You can peddle when you want, then if you start to get tired, flick a switch and the bike will do the peddling for you.  I used to cycle a lot before I learned to drive (a minimum of 16 miles to and from work every day) but used to tire out going up hills (I'm asthmatic).

Hubby has recently changed his job and is commandeering our car so I'm seriously looking at getting one of these e-bikes as they're called.  Could be very useful and a lot of fun too.  We have a lot of lovely scenery (UK) and we're lucky in-so-much that there are a lot of cycle paths here.

Alports Syndrome - A Rare Breed Indeed!!!
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2006, 09:50:59 AM »

Any form of exercise is better than none.  You don't need to go to a gym or buy expensive equipment to benefit from exercise.
The electric bicycle sounds like a great way.        :)

I make films.

mmmmdeedee

« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2006, 04:54:39 PM »

Okay, you guys are totally inspiring me now! I am going for a walk. Most people would think that is not such a major thing to do but fortunately you guys do. We are so lucky we live in these wonderful areas that have beautiful things to look at and things to enjoy! Me, in Southern California have the beautiful beaches. I've seen people from the France, Canada, Montana, on this site - all beautiful places. At least we should be enjoying these things while we can!

So much to be thankful for. Wow, I'm all geared up! I think I'm going to clean my closet too! Wel.....maybe!

1st on dialysis: 1986
1st transplant: 1990
1st failure: 05/06
CCPD
2nd transplant 07/24/07
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2006, 09:06:18 PM »

More information about exercise from the National Kidney Foundation (U.S.A.).  I think they know what they're talking about.     ;)

http://www.kidney.org/atoz/atozItem.cfm?id=112
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 10:13:21 AM by Zach » Logged

I make films.

Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2006, 09:58:46 PM »

Just to reiterate:

With exercise, it becomes easier to get around, do your necessary tasks and still have some energy left over for other activities you enjoy.

In addition to increased energy, other benefits from exercise may include:

improved muscle physical functioning
better blood pressure control
improved muscle strength
lowered level of blood fats (cholesterol and triglycerides)
better sleep
better control of body weight.

http://www.kidney.org/atoz/atozItem.cfm?id=112

I make films.

Panda_9

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2006, 11:17:54 PM »

Im off to the gym on wednesday, this weight has to come off!
AlasdairUK

« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2006, 04:02:19 AM »

It is in our interest to be proactive about exercise. As Zach has mentioned you do not have to do anything to demanding. Start slow and increase as your fitness levels increase.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2006, 04:58:02 AM »

I started my new exercise program today... I got out of bed and got dressed right away before I even left the bedroom. You did say start out slow didn't you? I get enough excersize at work.
AlasdairUK

« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2006, 05:02:32 AM »

I hope you got out of bed slowly, I would not want you to overstrain yourself to early on in the day. Take your time and have breakfast so you are ready for your exercise later on in the day at work.  ;D

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2006, 05:28:48 AM »

Me too, me too. I got up outof bed slowly. Got dressed.  Ate my 14 pills with a drink of water.  I am jumping to conclusions today for exercise later in the day! :clap;

lifenotonthelist.com

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2006, 07:21:06 AM »

Me too, me too. I got up outof bed slowly. Got dressed.  Ate my 14 pills with a drink of water.  I am jumping to conclusions today for exercise later in the day! :clap;
lol

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Jaybird

« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2006, 07:48:40 AM »

Prior to being diagnosed with kidney failure I worked out 6 days a week! I was in the Navy on a boat off the coast of Iraq too... Nothing to do but workout/sleep/eat and work. During the cruises I always did before and after pictures and sent them into the magazines. Its amazing what you can do to your body on a 6 month cruise with no distractions. I usually started the cruise off at 155 lean and worked up to a 185 lean body. The funny thing is that I can loose my hard earned body in 3-4 weeks of partying once I got off the cruise! So hard to get in shape, so easy to get out of shape!

Now I consider picking up my son and chasing him around the house to be exercise. I am weighing in at 150lbs dry weight now. So I guess I am back to the starting board. After reading some of these threads I think I will pick up the habit of a little more exercise when i am feeling up to it. I think exercise and a healthy diet can make a difference to anyones wellbeing. Its just forcing yourself to DO these things that is difficult.

-Jaybird
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2006, 09:15:52 AM »

After reading some of these threads I think I will pick up the habit of a little more exercise when i am feeling up to it. I think exercise and a healthy diet can make a difference to anyones wellbeing. Its just forcing yourself to DO these things that is difficult.

-Jaybird

That's the key ... you've got to force yourself.  But the rewards are real, even for us dialysis patients!
 :beer1;

I make films.

Black
Elite Member

« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2006, 03:14:04 PM »

There has been a lot of good advice here regarding exercise and I believe we all can agree that almost everyone should exercise and most of us far more than we currently do.

BUT -- there are patients (I personally believe many patients) who should not exercise until they are in a condition where it will be beneficial and not harmful.

For example, Epoman (hope you don't mind being used as an example) -- with no thyroid and the TSH reading he had on his last labs.  Attempting an exercise program in his condition could do permanent damage.

Exercise while having poorly treated thyroid problems and adrenal fatigue can be debilitating, worsen the chronic fatigue, and actually cause weight gain.

Many dialysis patients have cardiac problems (the number one killer of dialysis patients), and should be extremely cautious, and exercise only in a manner approved by their cardiologist.

Exercising while deficient in hormones such as teststorone, or while anemic can also cause damage.

In other words, every patient needs to do their homework, see the right docs, have the right labs done, and ask the docs the right questions before exercising.

I also have a question.  The logic often used to prevent patients having a heavy meal during dialysis is that it pulls blood flow to the digestive tract.  (I remember seeing a study posted on another board which supports this.)  Wouldn't using exercise pedals cause the same problem during dialysis by pulling blood flow to the leg muscles? ???

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »