I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:23:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  EXERCISE
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: EXERCISE  (Read 108318 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #150 on: August 19, 2008, 03:44:22 PM »

When I get the urge to exercise I lay down until the urge goes away.  :rofl;

ME Too!  The urge passes.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2008, 02:53:55 PM »

First day back at the gym today in 2 weeks.  Felt good to be started back to my routine there.  I try to go even if I don't feel like it and tell myself I can always cut it short or just chat with my friends.  Once I'm there, I tend to do my usual stuff and feel much better physically and psychologically for it.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2008, 03:56:17 PM »

Monrein, I want to be you when I grow up!!  You are gorgeous, you exercise, you have the most beautiful gardens, you have a guy best friend who helps you clean, and you have a great husband.    :2thumbsup;   Now, we just need to get you that new kidney!     Seriously, you have such an incredible attitude and we all love reading your posts.  :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2008, 06:02:47 PM »

:shy; Thank you Paris.  You're very sweet and I do feel lucky about my life most of the time. 

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #154 on: September 10, 2008, 06:14:18 AM »

An interesting article from the Denver Post.

Weight-training myths confuse many
Linda J. Buch is a certified fitness trainer in Denver; linda@ljbalance.com.
Article Last Updated: 08/24/2008

What is your opinion of women lifting weights? Is it true that doing numerous repetitions with lighter weights will sculpt the body and that heavier weights with fewer repetitions will build more mass? If my ultimate goal is strength, what is the best for me?— Mary Kallenberg, San Leandro, Calif.Myths abound when it comes to women and weightlifting. First are the alchemy myths, where weight training magically turns fat into muscle, reverting back to fat when you stop. Second are the physique myths, where lifting heavy weights makes you bulky, stiff and masculine but teensy weights "sculpt" you into a shape to rival Venus De Milo. The alchemy myths are physiologically impossible; the physique myths are utterly false.

It is easy to get confused on the effects of weightlifting on the female form, especially if you see a bodybuilder magazine featuring the Brobdingnagian bodies of the female competitors. Unfortunately, anabolic steroid and testosterone usage among some female athletes can distort their natural muscularity with jarring results.

In fact, you will not become the female rival to the Incredible Hulk by lifting heavy weights. On the flip side, lifting weights no heavier than a tube of lipstick — regardless of the number of repetitions — will accomplish nothing. What is important is to push your muscles to failure (exhaustion) when you lift; this is what increases strength and lean muscle.

Muscle is good because it is much more metabolically active than fat. According to the American Council on Exercise, a pound of fat burns about 2 to 3 calories a day; a pound of muscle can burn 35 to 50 calories per day.

This is because lean tissue contains powerful, furnacelike "engines" called mitochondria. These engines produce quick- energy molecules as well as specialized oxidative enzymes that burn fat. The more you stimulate your muscles through strength-training exercises, the more muscle you build. The more muscle you build, the more fuel-burning furnaces (mitochondria) your body creates. Increased muscle bumps up the resting metabolic rate, which means that even at rest, your body will be consuming more calories than someone who weighs the same as you do but has higher percentages of body fat.

Muscle mass, therefore, is a key to maintaining a healthy ratio of fat to lean tissue. And, contrary to the myths, women can train just as hard and as intensely as men without turning into them. With a goal of building strength, all physical activity can aid in that pursuit whether it is weight training, aerobic activity, basic life activities such as gardening and vacuuming, or by taking the stairs instead of the elevator.
"Exercise creates muscle and diet exposes it," says Steve Smith, a former bodybuilding champion. This succinct bit of wisdom brings up the importance of diet in the process of changing your body composition to one that is leaner.

When beginning a new exercise program, it is wise to keep a food diary of everything you eat. Keep track of portions and daily calories consumed by weighing and measuring your food for at least a week.

http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_10284663?CMP=EMC-HET_0908

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2008, 09:07:05 AM »

I, and my pals at the gym, try to lift as heavy as we can but none of us women look like the body builder women.  We just feel lucky if we can get a little definition.  I personally do it for my bones and my mental health as much as anything else.  At 55 I'd love to get rid of some arm jiggle but I'm pretty much resigned that it ain't gonna happen.  LOL.  Elbow length sleeves are my best friends.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2008, 10:56:32 AM »

At 55 I'd love to get rid of some arm jiggle but I'm pretty much resigned that it ain't gonna happen.

It's all in the triceps!

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/DBKickback.html
http://www.shapefit.com/triceps-exercises-cable-rope-overhead-tricep-extensions.html

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #157 on: September 10, 2008, 03:19:40 PM »

Ha, Zach, you're so sweet for posting those links.  I do so many triceps exercises both with free weights and with the machines and also with resistance bands and medicine balls but there's still jiggle.  However, I just imagine how awful it would be if I DIDN'T do them. Between ESRD and menopause I hardly know myself but as you well know it's just a matter of keeping on keeping up.  I've lost a lot of tone since being sick this time around but since I'm now feeling way better I'm getting back into my routine and it feels so good.  I try to get to the gym 4-5 times a week and that's also the best anti-depressant  I believe.  I also reversed some bone density loss by incorporating more weights into my workout.  I generally aim for 30-45 minutes of cardio, the same of weights (I alternate upper and lower body) and end with some ab work and stretches.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #158 on: September 10, 2008, 03:50:46 PM »

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Triceps/DBKickback.html

On my monitor that guy looks undressed  :o

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
julian230

Ah cha cha!

« Reply #159 on: September 28, 2008, 12:31:37 PM »

What do you guys do about exercise?  I have a membership in a gym, but hadn't been going for a while because I didn't have my car.  Now that I have a vehicle again, I am going to go back to the gym.
My problem is that I am losing weight and parts of my body are seeming so stretchy. YUK!
Do any of you exercise regularly?  Would you exercise the morning before you had HD or would you do it on the day you didn't go?
What kind of exercise do you do?
I tend to stick to the treadmill and an ab machine.  I will probably also do a leg machine.

Ugh I hate coming in late as a member because I could've asked the question lickity split! I have tons of energy (I'm on dialysis , 3 times a week , hemo!) And I do exercise ! It's a great way to stay in shape and feel good! =) I go to the gym 3 times a week , and SOMETIMES (and I mean like once a month) I'll go swimming during the morning before a dialysis treatment for about 30 minutes. The days that I DON'T go to dialysis, I go to the gym around 2 pm on tuesday thursday and saturday (as this will allow my fistula a resting period) And the exercises I'll do is leg push ups , 3 reps of 8-10, than i'll lift weights (15 pounds) for about 3 reps again , 8 times . I'll do this thing where I'll hold the weights and sit up and sit down with my arms just hanging (this will improve my abdomen) 3 reps , 10 for each time.  I'll also do a couple of other leg exercises too. I'll exercise for a total amount of 1 hour for 3 times. Heck if I can go to dialysis 9 hours a week , I'll definitely do 3 hours a week of exercise to reward myself  :2thumbsup; I push myself pretty hard, as this will continue to improve my stamina. I try not to think of being tired , and just go for it! 
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #160 on: September 28, 2008, 12:58:03 PM »

My gym is undergoing renovation right now and they're doing it in sections.  Problem is it's SO hot I hate it.  I spoke to the manager last week and he's finally buying some more floor fans.  My friends there always make sure I have a fan even if it means giving me the one they're using or switching machines so we can do our cardio side by side and share the fan.  I get rid of a lot of sweat though.
The reno includes a new ventilation system.

Keep up the exercise Julian.  It sounds like you know already that it helps with lots of things and I really miss it when I can't go for some reason.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #161 on: September 28, 2008, 01:25:50 PM »

I'll exercise for a total amount of 1 hour for 3 times. Heck if I can go to dialysis 9 hours a week , I'll definitely do 3 hours a week of exercise to reward myself  :2thumbsup; I push myself pretty hard, as this will continue to improve my stamina. I try not to think of being tired , and just go for it! 

Excellent!

8)

I make films.

Trikkechickk

« Reply #162 on: September 29, 2008, 05:11:54 AM »

I, too, workout 3x/week with weights.  It is kind of a hobby for me - I just enjoy it. 

Last week I decided to hire a personal trainer to help change my routine.  She did a fitness assessment on me:

15.9% Body Fat
BMI  20
Upper Body strength = 15 "mens style" pushups = Excellent
Lower Body strength
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #163 on: September 29, 2008, 02:51:02 PM »

I have been going to the gym five days a week to mentally prepare myself for starting dialysis next month.  I don't go now for that reason, I just go now because I really enjoy it.  I don't overdo it though.  A few weights, treadmill and sit-ups etc.  My body is hardly changing though because I am so full of fluid but I have gone from 110 kilos down to about 74 kilos so it has done wonders for my blood pressure.

I have had a bad bout of gout the past four days in both my ankles so I haven't been able to go to the gym and I really miss it.  Although I drag myself there some days, I always feel better and healthier for having been.  I want to try and get down to 60 kilos but my neph said not to push too hard that once I start dialysis I will lose quite a bit in fluid. My big incentive is the more weight I lose the more I look like my mother.  I love looking in the mirror now and seeing my mum's bone structure....makes me feel like she is still here with me.

I am really happy at the moment because I think I am going into dialysis with a really healthy mind, body and soul...bar the gout of course.  It is really a double-edged sword that dieting brings on a really servere gout attack  when you change your normal - no, that would be bad - eating habits.  Anyhow that is a temporary setback and my uric acid will just have to get use to the new diet.

In short.....exercise is the healthiest thing I have done for my mind....let alone my body. I started with 10 minutes a day at the gym until I got into the routine and then I lifted the time up by five minutes every week for the following eight weeks and now I do a minimum of 45 minutes a session.  My advice.  Start slow and build up otherwise you will overdo it and stop going. 
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #164 on: October 01, 2008, 04:59:56 PM »

Ahh, I'm back on my treadmill after a week of in-center exhaustion and parathyroid surgery.  I'm still wobbly at times from low calcium, but I'm taking it easy and walking slowly - no running.  I miss it when I'm off, and I miss the weight loss even more!

Way to go, Lucinda!  We can be as healthy as we push ourselves to be - no matter what our kidneys are doing for us!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #165 on: October 02, 2008, 03:01:54 PM »

Way to go Lucinda!

Seeing how I have severe ankle problems and pain, I can't run or do alot of strenious work on my ankles, so workouts are slow.. but I am doing them.

I started walking every morning for an hour, outside. Once the weather gets too cold I will do it on the treadmill.

I have also started doing workout DVDs and crunches. I also make sure I get 80oz of water a day and I have changed my eatings habits.

I am wearing a pair of jeans today that I haven't wore in over 6 months.. gotta love that!

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #166 on: October 02, 2008, 09:05:10 PM »

Fantastic Lucinda!

And angele515, nice new avatar.

8)

I make films.

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #167 on: October 02, 2008, 09:08:24 PM »

<<<<< Sexy whistle >>>> at Angela, Jbeany and Lucinda.  Congratulations!! keep up the good work!  :cuddle;
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #168 on: October 02, 2008, 09:13:57 PM »

Thanks guys.....hope I don't stuff it up in Italy!! Good work to Jbeany and Angela515. You go girls.  I really got the exercise bug thanks to Zac.  His posts are very encouraging in maintenance of good health.  xx
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #169 on: October 02, 2008, 09:14:31 PM »

Thanks guys.....hope I don't stuff it up in Italy!! Good work to Jbeany and Angela515. You go girls.  I really got the exercise bug thanks to Zac.  His posts are very encouraging in maintenance of good health.  xx

:-*

I make films.

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #170 on: October 02, 2008, 09:18:13 PM »

Zach is a good example for everyone to follow.  Thanks Zach.
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #171 on: October 02, 2008, 09:26:58 PM »

:waving;

I make films.

julian230

Ah cha cha!

« Reply #172 on: October 02, 2008, 09:40:17 PM »

I go to a gym with a swimming pool , and it is beautiful. One indoor and one outdoors! Usually when I walk into the gym , I'll do the push ups and sit ups , and than work with the "machines", which i love . I'll lift some weights , about 20 pounds on each (but shhhh , i'm only allowed 15 pounds due to the fistula)  But I can measure out pain. I'll do more lunges , and than I'll do leg push ups , and a machine where you lift your shoulders. Afterwards , I ill go training in the pool for 30 - 45 mins , see how long I can take it before sinking to the bottom. After an exercise I'll feel more mellow , not tired. Going into the gym I feel tired,  but when I get to it , I feel good again , and I also feel i'm not just doing nothing with this body of mine. Any problems with fistuals or shunts?
julian230

Ah cha cha!

« Reply #173 on: October 02, 2008, 09:44:15 PM »

I, too, workout 3x/week with weights.  It is kind of a hobby for me - I just enjoy it. 

Last week I decided to hire a personal trainer to help change my routine.  She did a fitness assessment on me:

15.9% Body Fat
BMI  20
Upper Body strength = 15 "mens style" pushups = Excellent
Lower Body strength

I got a personal trainer too ! Tell me how she works out. They are so informative and friendly people , and they push you when you want to be pushed
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #174 on: October 02, 2008, 11:19:30 PM »

Well I feel like a real slacker compared to some of the gym bunnies here! Good for you :)

I do my little bit though. I try to walk every weekday. Usually I do it in the morning on my way to work. I live near a park so I walk through that for around 20-30 mins and that really is a good feeling. Even on dialysis days (I do D in the afternoon after a few hours of work in the morning). I definitely feel better after walking - not only because I know it is good exercise (something stressed as important to do specially for pre-transplant folks to keep the body in reasonable/better condition to accept a transplant). Plus whenthe sun is shining and people are out with their dogs or whatever it's really relaxing.. and when the weather gets warmer it's really nice (not so good in the rain :( ). Still i feel like I do my little bit.. though I couldn't really handle a gym workout... but I do feel like I am doing *something* to help myself keep healthy... or at least healthier than if I was Homer Simpson on the couch all day....

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »