I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:17:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Kidney/Pancreas transplant
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kidney/Pancreas transplant  (Read 29704 times)
justagirl2325

« on: June 30, 2015, 12:59:51 PM »

Anyone here the recipient of a Kidney/Pancreas transplant?

We are going to meet the Transplant coordinator next week finally  :cheer: and our home-hemo nurse is encouraging him to get on this list.  He should qualify as he has terrible Type 1 diabetes and the wait list is substantially shorter 2-3 years vs. 5-10 years for kidney here.
justagirl2325

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 12:36:53 PM »

So I'm guessing no one is. 

He has decided to go for it and get listed for "Simultaneous Kidney Pancreas" transplant, or SKP for short.  At December 31, 2013 there were 105 people on the SKP wait list, and 44 were transplanted that year.  Compare that to 3,277 on the kidney alone wait list with only 705 transplanted.

I must admit I was a bit upset as we were told he could do a kidney transplant with a live donor (like me if I was a match) and then stay on list for pancreas transplant later.  But he's not willing to go there.  So we wait and hope the road to his SKP won't be too long.  When they put him on the list they backdate it to the day he started dialysis which is a year tomorrow.

Had a stress test this afternoon.  I'm not sure of all the tests that will be required.  The hospital said they would mail us a booklet and start scheduling tests.  When the call comes we will have to travel to Toronto (they arrange that as time is of the essence) then we are on our own.  We would have to stay in the area until medically cleared (4-8 weeks).  She said to have fund at the ready of anywhere from $2 to $10K dollars to cover expenses.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 01:45:26 PM »

It might be that no one responded yet because it seems like quite a few transplant recipients only pop in once in a while after transplant. I think it usually just means they're too busy living normal lives again.  :2thumbsup;

I hope you don't have to wait too long! It sounds like your wait will be fairly short since you need both.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 02:08:49 PM »

I know of only one IHD member who has had a kidney/pancreas tx, and I haven't seen him post here for a long while. 

I hope you didn't feel ignored.  I would have replied, but I've had only a renal tx, so I don't think I have much to offer you.

I  don't blame him for wanting to get it "all done at once".  It's major surgery, and to have to go there twice is a big ask.

Best of luck to you both!  Please keep us posted on his testing/results!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Hootie

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 06:40:05 PM »

Thought I would give a response according to what we were told at Emory (GA) Hospital. My wife was hoping for the combination kidney and pancreas since she is a very long time Type 1 diabetic. The transplant surgeon basically told us that the combination surgery was extremely complex and they had backed off doing as many as they had done in the past. The pancreas is a much more delicate organ than the kidney and its long term success rate in transplant is not as good as a kidney only. The pancreas will typically fail before the kidney does over the long term. Kidney only surgery is not near as complex and the kidney is a much tougher organ. What makes the pancreas part of the surgery complex is the location of the pancreas and rework of the ducts into the stomach and intestines. The surgery is much longer and recovery is also significantly longer and more complex with the medical folks monitoring two organs. He said that this surgery is usually for those who are very brittle diabetic and cannot control their blood sugar levels regardless of what they do. Although he did not say it directly he also insinuated that it was people who are younger and can withstand the tougher surgery. My wife is 61 and a type 1 for 49 years. However, she is on the Minimed Medtronics insulin pump and is well under blood sugar control. I will add that friend introduced us to a person who was poorly controlled with his BS and he had the combination surgery. He feels it was the greatest thing he has ever done. He is about 4 years in now still going strong running his car wash and other businesses. He was 52 when he had his surgery. His waiting time was short at about six months.

Our story is on the kidney only waiting list for about 6 months and I am being tested for the living donor program and half way through that process.

My thoughts are to ask all the questions of the medical people and come to your own conclusions on what is best for you.

Caregiver for wife with ESRD and type Type 1 diabetes (almost 50 years).  HHD with NxStage machine January 2015.
Transplanted  December 7, 2016
justagirl2325

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 01:33:47 PM »

Interesting, thanks for the info. 

We are moving along here with an echocardiogram scheduled for August 2 and some ultrasounds on September 29 (speed of light with universal health care).
justagirl2325

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 10:08:32 AM »

So he has a couple more tests scheduled for next week (Sept 29 and 30) and from what I can gleam with the little information they have given us, I think that's all the testing.  Will have to push them after that to get him on the list officially I guess.

Meanwhile, I went to a private clinic and had my health and kidneys checked (just in case he gets tired of waiting for kidney/pancreas transplant). My kidneys are perfect and ready to go lol.  I don't know if I'm a match though.
coravh

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 01:10:51 PM »

So he has a couple more tests scheduled for next week (Sept 29 and 30) and from what I can gleam with the little information they have given us, I think that's all the testing.  Will have to push them after that to get him on the list officially I guess.

Meanwhile, I went to a private clinic and had my health and kidneys checked (just in case he gets tired of waiting for kidney/pancreas transplant). My kidneys are perfect and ready to go lol.  I don't know if I'm a match though.

A thousand apologies! I didn't see this post over the summer. I am what they call a PAK (pancreas after kidney). I got my kidney from my wonderful cousin in 2002, and my pancreas in '08. There were other reasons for the delay. Obviously, my first priority was to get off dialysis. I am still doing quite well - kidney ticking along and blood sugars normal, no matter what I eat. I actually found the later pancreas transplant easier than the kidney. If you have any questions, just fire them at me. Best of luck to you two.
justagirl2325

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 01:32:57 PM »

After the September tests were done we waited for further instructions.  He had to go to the clinic at hospital for dialysis (has one session there every two months for labs to see how home-hemo is working). 

His nurse contacted the coordinator only to be told that at September 30 all the tests have been done but no one has reviewed the results yet.  Yeah free health care in Canada. :banghead;

So now we will call weekly with a "have you checked yet" chant. 

On a separate note, a locum doc was in for this clinic and asked him if he had a kidney donor, he pointed at me and said "she's willing to donate" but he quickly explained I wasn't tested for a match as he was trying for the PAK.  The doc told him straight out if you have a willing donor take the kidney now and be listed for a pancreas transplant later.  That years of dialysis waiting for both organs (when you have a willing donor) is not worth the stress dialysis puts on your body. 

He wasn't even willing to discuss that with me.   :banghead;
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 02:09:44 PM »

Sorry you're having such a stressful day. I'd be aggravated, too. Now is the time to be kind to yourself, whether it is treating yourself to a favorite treat, book, nap or alone time just do it and let go for a little while, if not a day. Focus on feeling every muscle in your body relax, beginning with your toes and go up from there. Chores and whatnot can wait, even when it seems they can't. Either way, break the anxiety by picturing other things in your head.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
justagirl2325

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 01:07:46 PM »

I'm not really sure when, how, or why he changed his mind but he has agreed that the hospital can test me to see if I'm a match for him.  Perhaps it was the nine day near death stint in the hospital from the infected chest catheter.  Perhaps it was the fact that he was walking around with blood clots from the catheter unknowingly that put his life at risk.  It doesn't matter.

Here in Canada I could not find out if I'm a match for him without him giving the ok to check. 

So I will pass on my application to be a donor on Monday and see where it goes.  All I know so far is I have no antibodies, we're the same blood type (O positive) and my GFR is 112. 

He is still not officially listed but that should be soon.

He is still holding out hope for the simultaneous kidney/pancreas transplant but at least we will know our options.

cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 01:30:08 PM »

Good luck to the both of you

:cuddle;

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 09:33:45 PM »

I have had a skp (simultaneous kidney and pancreas) transplant for over 15 years now. At times it has been a rocky road, but still better than dialysis and hypoglycemia unawareness.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 06:52:01 PM »

I have had a skp (simultaneous kidney and pancreas) transplant for over 15 years now. At times it has been a rocky road, but still better than dialysis and hypoglycemia unawareness.

This is awesome to read! This will certainly bring hope to those awaiting the same transplant. Congratulations to YOU and your 15 years!   

I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 10:25:31 PM »

There are people who have had it longer than me without another transplant.

It may not always be an easy road, but worth it for most people.

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 08:31:22 PM »

There are people who have had it longer than me without another transplant.

It may not always be an easy road, but worth it for most people.

Wondering if you or anyone for that matter can answer this: When someone needs both a kidney AND a pancreas transplant, are they listed that way (for a double transplant) and must both organs become available to a recipient simultaneously together? Please forgive my ignorance on the subject.   

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016, 01:34:55 PM »

I went back and reread the previous posts and now realize they more or less answered my questions. Oops...sorry.... :Kit n Stik; 

justagirl2325

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2016, 01:43:43 PM »

Here we are in April 2016 and he's still not officially listed on the transplant list.  He finally lost it at his last clinic appointment and the doctor in charge told the transplant co-ordinator to get moving already.  Apparently she left work crying that day...sorry her life is hard and I can appreciate that she's busy but then don't tell us in January that we should hear something from Toronto in three weeks only for us to find out in April she hasn't sent it to them yet.

She called me and I had an appointment Friday and they took the first required blood samples from me to check me.  I know I'm healthy and I know we're the same blood type but he still hasn't said "yes I'll take your kidney" just yes to check if its possible.   
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2016, 02:34:55 PM »

Pleased to hear your hubby finally got angry (at the right people) about still not being listed because of some paid person who ....#####....
Very sad to hear that he still not is listed too. I really hate people doing jobs they just shouldn't. The misery they cause....

The second part about why your hubby hasn't jumped on your offer yet? Maybe it's so incredibly difficult for him to have someone he loves going through pain and uncertainty for him makes him scared? Scared of you having to go through pain? Scared that it might not work? Maybe thinking that he's not worth it? It's so difficult.

I thought all that when my hubby offered many years ago. I agreed to let him go for a blood test as he didn't know what blood type he was (healthy people, the luxury of that innocents.....) and TTL we were incompatible. So now I'm 100% APR so I'm waiting for that 1 in a gazillion chance o a cadaver kidney. That's okay. I'm old enough now. Never give up hope, and neither has your hubby.

Lots of love, luck and strength, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
justagirl2325

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 06:03:28 AM »

Went home from work last night and there's a message on the machine from the K/P transplant team in Toronto wanting to schedule an appointment with him.  Finally!
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 04:02:43 PM »

Went home from work last night and there's a message on the machine from the K/P transplant team in Toronto wanting to schedule an appointment with him.  Finally!

That is GREAT news! Thanks for sharing!

Vt Big Rig

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2016, 06:30:18 AM »

Congrats, great news

VT Big Rig
Diagnosed - October 2012
Started with NxStage - April 2015
6 Fistula grams in 5 months,  New upper fistula Oct 2015, But now old one working fine, until August 2016 and it stopped, tried an angio, still no good
Started on new fistula .
God Bless my wife and care partner for her help
justagirl2325

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2016, 01:41:33 PM »

It is good news but still more waiting as the appointment is scheduled for July 12. 
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 10:19:44 PM »

It is good news but still more waiting as the appointment is scheduled for July 12.
Sorry I do not check in as often as I use to. I check in Facebook more than I do here, which is a big reverse of doing when there was a post about Facebook in here about 7 years ago.

Good news is that you hav an appointment, bad news is a long wait to get ball really rolling. Test will probably need to be repeated such as the stress test to be more current for them. More test maybe neded along with blood test on a routine basis. My advise is to take lots of notes, use a voice recorder to help with notes and be on top of things by being pushy when you fel the need. Proactive is better than reactive to some degree, this maybe a bumpy ride.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

justagirl2325

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 06:10:18 AM »

He's had such a bad run on dialysis this past few months.  We had yet another near death experience on the weekend - that's his third in five months.  The first time he went septic from an undetected infection that dialysis spread he just happened to already be at the hospital.  The second time only by the grace of god I woke up and realized the needle had fallen out during dialysis.  The alarm didn't wake him.  This weekend just out of the blue he had what I can only describe as a seizure, vomited and passed out cold about an hour after dialysis.  I actually called 911 - but while I was on the phone he regained consciousness and wouldn't let them come.

The only upside to this is that he's finally agreed to take my kidney if we're a match.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »