I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:55:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Preparing the house for transplant
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Preparing the house for transplant  (Read 50370 times)
Des
Elite Member

« on: March 09, 2011, 04:00:12 AM »

What did you guys do to prepare the house for after the transplant and how long before the operation did you start?
ie.
getting rid of caged bird, cat litter
Washed the carpets, curtains
Throwing out plants
fumigate

ect.

and I read somewhere that you are not allowed to receive flower arrangements?, Is this true? How do you tell people you don't want their flowers.

I LIKE flowers  :flower; that is the best part of going for an operation - getting all the flowers  :embarassed: :embarassed:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 04:09:01 AM by Des » Logged

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 05:29:56 AM »

Before my surgery I had the carpets cleaned.  I don't have curtains but all my fabric blinds are vacuumed regularly and so that was done too.  While I was in hospital, a good friend who is very picky came over thoroughly cleaned.  He did the little extra things that no normal person (in my house at least) would think of...like unscrewing the filters things on the taps and soaking them in bleach...I'm not sure this is all that necessary but apparently molds can grow there.  He used a mild solution of bleach to wash down bathroom and kitchen surfaces.

I have lots of plants, many flowering ones like anthuriums and orchids and they continued to live here uninterrupted.  I also had flowers arrive and I never threw them out or gave them away either.

I'm so excited that you're having to think about all this stuff Des!!!

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 07:09:07 AM »

Oof.....I am preparing for a transplant and had NO IDEA that you had to clean your house so thoroughly.  We don't have plants or cats but we do have one dog.  He sleeps in his crate in his own bedroom so he's not in our bedroom at night.  We do have carpets but no curtains (blinds only).  So is there a list somewhere of what I should be cleaning?  We are the worst housekeepers on the planet...no hoarding but not much cleaning either. 
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 10:47:01 AM »

One thing you reminded me of monrein is to change the filters in the heating and air conditioning too.
I spent the most time cleaning Jennas room as thats where she would be exposed to the most germs (sleeping at night, napping in the day.) I have a list of cleaning suggestions somewhere, will look for it.
I am also VERY excited for you Des!!!
 :bandance;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 11:06:51 AM »

Des, I did not remove any of my plants, and I have many. Carl was told not to work in the soil, but that doesn't keep me from watering things. We received a very nice planter during his hospitalization and we definitely kept that , too.

I vacuumed (no time to clean the carpets), cleaned the bathrooms and kitchen thoroughly, and wiped down phones, doorknobs and switches with bleach solution. But we did not have a long time to prepare. All is going well, so I'm thinking what I did was enough!  :2thumbsup;

I'm so very happy for you.  :bandance; :cheer: :bandance; :cheer:

:guitar:

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 11:30:11 AM »

I kept my plants. The transplant team said that was fine, just don't play in the dirt without gloves on. Since mine wasn't a planned event, I didn't have warning. But, we had made changes in the house the past few years in anticipation. While in the hospital, my daughter in law scrubbed all hard surfaces with a bleach solution and put hand sanitizers and paper towels in every room. My daughter had a cleaning team come in. Another daughter took care of the linens, sheets, towels, etc.   And they cleaned out the refrigerator, throwing out anything questionable.    Towels and sponges can breed bacteria, so paper towels can help eliminate that problem.  Never leave food sit out; refrigerate immediately.   For now, just a good cleaning, dusting should get you ready.   The day before you come home, see if someone can come and freshen the house.   Don't stress over it.   You'll do great.

I was told no plants, flowers.  I did receive a plant about 2 weeks after.   Funny thing -- when people heard no flowers, most felt like they were "off the hook" regarding gifts.   Except my IHD family, who gave me support, encouragement, so many cards and gifts.  My extended family?  They were glad I was "cured"!!      :rofl;      Never underestimate the power of your online friends!!  We'll have to send lots of virtual flowers to you!!!!        :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 11:38:08 AM »

Oh, and Des, I would ask specifically about your pets. Carl was told not to handle any....but not to get rid of them. We have a ton of animals at school. He no longer cleans the cages.  :2thumbsup;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 11:54:44 AM »

I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to pop by and tell you again how very thrilled I am for you!  A whole new life to look forward to!!  What a fantastic, wonderful miracle!  I'll never, ever forget how miserable you were on D.  I thought about your sadness so often, but now there is so much joy to look forward to!  I can't wait for it all to be done and for you to come back and tell us how transformed your life has become!  I can't wait to see your name on the IHD member transplant list.  I hope many, many of our IHDers get their miracle this year!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 12:48:43 PM »

Oh yeah...I was told not to be in the dirt either BUT I'm a gardener so...with all that new transplant energy I had to dig and plant a lot so I wear rubberized gloves  and wash hands and scrub nails very carefully afterwards.   I change my kitchen sponges often but also pop them and my dish washing cloth in the microwave for a minute at the end of the day.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 01:11:28 PM »

Yikes!

Des, I'm thrilled for you, but I have to say it again ... Yikes!  When Blokey finally gets a transplant am I going to have to become Mrs. Mop?  Why has nobody explained this to me before?!  What about my babies (catz)?! 

Happy cleaning!   ;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Brightsky69

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 04:36:49 PM »

and I read somewhere that you are not allowed to receive flower arrangements?, Is this true? How do you tell people you don't want their flowers.

I LIKE flowers  :flower; that is the best part of going for an operation - getting all the flowers  :embarassed: :embarassed:

None of my doc's said anything about the flowers I had in my hospital room after my transplant. One of my doc's saw one big vase of flowers and joked 'I see you got the flowers I sent'   ;D

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 06:05:17 PM »

I'm a single bachelor who lives alone in my apartment.  No pets.

And so, the extensive guidance I got from my transplant team on avoidance of infections didn't have much to say about my home at all.  Nothing about cleaning walls or floors.

Rather, most of it dealt with avoiding germs from other people.  And as I pointed out to my transplant nurse, most of it could be summarized in two simple rules:

1.  Keep away from children (colds, German measles).

2.  Keep away from women (STDs).

;D
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 07:10:52 PM »

One thing is, you aren't going to be able to clean like you want to after surgery for awhile. So, coming home to a fresh, clean house gave me great piece of mind.     I was told my cat was ok, just no new pets the first few months.  I do wash my hands or use sanitizer after petting her.  But, she sleeps with me and the team was ok with that, since she has been with us a couple of years.  NO littler box for me though (I don't mind that one bit!!)     

You are going to do great.  Don't push yourself too much.  I am so excited for you and for your family.   :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 08:22:45 PM »

I had our A/C guy come in and do a complete cleaning on our unit.  Also, I had him place an ultraviolet light in there, too, to help with any mold that might grow due the central unitl.  Not "deadly mold", but mold nonetheless.  It was expensive, but worth it.
Dog went to the vet and had check-up and teeth cleaned.
Furniture was professionally steam cleaned.
Floors cleaned.
Fridge cleaned out.  ALL food in the pantry was gone through and anything that was close to being expired was thrown out.
I went through all my spices and got rid of expired or close to expired spices.
Went through medicine cabinets and got rid of medication that was no longer needed or expired.
I purchased new sheets (mainly just because I was going to be in bed a little more)
I purchase a reclyner for my livingroom (great decision, in my opinion)
Cleaned oven and microwave.

I cleaned everythine!  Windows, curtains, carpets, etc.  It needed to be done anyway.  Also, while sitting around my house post transplant I knew I would be bored and didn't want to start cleaning just to have something to do.  I wanted it all done.

Congratulations!!!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 09:51:09 PM »

I better get started then. :rofl;

Aleta, the ohter "kids" live outside so I won't have a problem with them it is just our parot that lives inside. They told me to keep him outside under the carport or in the garage  ???

Luckily for me I have a cleaning lady that comes in 3 times a week so I will be listing the things to be done so she can start ticking them off.

Thanks ALL  :flower; You all can send me lots and lots of flowers. :flower;

My list so far
Clean carpets
Wash out kitchen cupboards in and out
jik in drains (bathroom and kitchen) lots of germs there
clean stove and behind stove.
clean fridge and behind fridge.
Find space for the parot. (polly)
Wash light fittings (haven't done those in years  :stressed;)
Wash all linen in cupboards
Wipe down doorknobs and light switches.
steamclean lounge suite

Washed curtains recently.
no airconditioner - Okarol  so not on my list  ;)

I have 4 weeks to do this in as I am going in for a hernia op on the 5 April and transplant should (holding thumbs) follow 3 weeks after that (in a perfect world where you can plan things  :rofl; :clap;)

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Fistula
carol1987

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 03:45:56 AM »

I did not do any special cleaning pre transplant... Received flowers at the hospital... have 2 cats....and have an 8 year old who has been exposed to lots of things in school since my jan. transplant and have had no problems!

Diagnosed with  PKD July 2002 (no family history)
Fistula placed April 2009
Placed on Transplant list April 2009
Started HD 10/6/10
Transplanted 1/6/11 (Chain Transplant My altruistic donor was  "Becky from Chicago" , and DH Mike donated on my behalf and the chain continued...)
-Lady Noir-

Where's your will to be weird?

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 07:14:07 PM »

I did not do any special cleaning pre transplant... Received flowers at the hospital... have 2 cats....and have an 8 year old who has been exposed to lots of things in school since my jan. transplant and have had no problems!

Ditto! We have 2 cats, and a 5 year old. Never did any extra cleaning or prep.
Only thing was, Kidney ward at Auckland Hospital, flowers are FORBIDDEN. They don't let them in. Mike never got any at home either so that was no worry  :rofl;

Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983
Seizure July 2003 [Unrelated to kidney]
Diagnosed with 'Polycystic Kidney Disease' July 2003 (Wrong diagnosis)
Diagnosed with  IgA Glomerulonephritis April 2004
On active transplant waiting list 2006
Hyperparathyroidism developed gradually
Parathyroidectomy May 2009 (Affected kidney function)
Hospitalized for hyperkalemia June 2009
Catheter inserted June 2009

Started CAPD June 2009
Stared APD September 2009

ABO Incompatible transplant 01 December 2010
Donor = Mikes father Greg
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 11:35:21 PM »

Yeah neither did my Transplant Unit allow them either, supposedly the water in which they stand can carry infection!!!!

:flower;  :flower;  :flower;

Invest in some anti-bac handwash, some anti-bac wipes, a bos of surgial type gloves for jobs were you require protection and you'll be fine!
Make sure you clean/anti-bac wipes light switches, door handles, TV remotes, phone handsets and laptop keyboards (germs love these  8)

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 11:43:54 PM »

Des congrats on the transplant! This was just making me chuckle b/c with my first tranplant I came home to an incredibly messy house. My sister and brother completely wrecked the house. And of course my mom didn't care enough to do any super detailed cleaning....thank goodness I survived! :)

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 01:37:40 AM »

Yeah neither did my Transplant Unit allow them either, supposedly the water in which they stand can carry infection!!!!

:flower;  :flower;  :flower;

Invest in some anti-bac handwash, some anti-bac wipes, a bos of surgial type gloves for jobs were you require protection and you'll be fine!
Make sure you clean/anti-bac wipes light switches, door handles, TV remotes, phone handsets and laptop keyboards (germs love these  8)

Hehehehehhehe thanks for the flowers  :flower;
(and the advise)

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Fistula
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 02:33:52 AM »

I see you live in South Africa what's the healthcare like over there?
Do you have many transplant centres there?

10 years of half a life
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 03:24:38 AM »

Most people have private "medical aid" We pay a monthly amount and then when you get ill they pay your cost BUT this is a tricky business with lots and lots of fine print.They say they pay the doctor but they pay him up to a certain value and then you end up paying the rest. You have the option of "taking" different schemes. I am on one of the best schemes but I still end up paying in some fees.

Luckily I have (in writing) that they will cover my transplant 100%.  :2thumbsup;

Most of the other population have to use Government healthcare which is in the worst possible neglect. They don't get the best care at all and it is like the rest of Africa.

We don't have transplant centres but we have transplant teams based in private hospitals. So you share the ICU with other medical conditions because it is not just for transplants. But it is cool as they  have isolation booths.   

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Fistula
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 03:36:49 AM »

The 1st time around Otto and I where 22 and in an apartment so we did NOTHING!!!! LOL ;D  2nd time we where a little older 3 kids house and dog and still did nothing special, granted when he came home he had lost the kidney :'(

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 08:39:38 PM »

I must admit that my cleaning was for the most part something that needed to be done anyway and to keep my mind and hands busy.  I was not at all sorry I did it.  I was never a germaphobe before and I'm still not "phobic" about it.  I do things differently now because of my transplant, but not overboard.  If you have the time and energy to clean your house from top to bottom before you transplant I think you would be smart to take advantage, because you are going to be sore and slow moving for a while post transplant.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 09:07:40 AM »

Most people have private "medical aid" We pay a monthly amount and then when you get ill they pay your cost BUT this is a tricky business with lots and lots of fine print.They say they pay the doctor but they pay him up to a certain value and then you end up paying the rest. You have the option of "taking" different schemes. I am on one of the best schemes but I still end up paying in some fees.

Luckily I have (in writing) that they will cover my transplant 100%.  :2thumbsup;

Most of the other population have to use Government healthcare which is in the worst possible neglect. They don't get the best care at all and it is like the rest of Africa.

We don't have transplant centres but we have transplant teams based in private hospitals. So you share the ICU with other medical conditions because it is not just for transplants. But it is cool as they  have isolation booths.   
Living in the UK we tend to take our NHS for granted, but it always interests me on how other countries systems work and what the standard of care is like for comparison. I had both my transplants at a big, world renowned transplant centre with a very high standard of care and research etc, but its getting a good, long-surviving kidney that really matters. Good luck for your transplant
 :2thumbsup; and keep us posted afterwards!
Sugar x

10 years of half a life
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »