I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:51:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Preparing the house for transplant
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Preparing the house for transplant  (Read 50430 times)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2011, 11:52:04 PM »

I was told no birds and I cried thinking I couldn't date anymore!!  :rofl; Oh wait, I can't get a date anyway.....

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2011, 12:11:59 AM »

You're so funny...
Anyone who describes us as birds doesn't deserve a date!!!!

;D  ;D  ;D

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2011, 04:32:07 PM »

Our daughter raises chickens at her school and Carl had wanted to do that, too.

:'(

I guess it isn't going to happen. But we can live with that.

Richard, I have a hard time believing that with all your charm you are dateless!  :bow;

But I have to agree with Sugar, You should not be calling lovely ladies birds!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2011, 09:11:45 PM »

I am rethinking a transplant. We live in an OLD house and at the moment, are over run with mice. I've been away almost 9 weeks and the little mice have been everywhere. Hubby has done his best to stem the tide but as we are having a bumper season, the mouse population has exploded. This will not be good to return to after a transplant. I will be hoping my call comes in a drought, when the mice are better behaved!

Transplant or not, rodent droppings are risky.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1445-5994.2005.00954.x/abstract

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
-Lady Noir-

Where's your will to be weird?

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »

Getting rid of all the diayslsis stuff!! That was definitly the highlight!!  :2thumbsup;

Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983
Seizure July 2003 [Unrelated to kidney]
Diagnosed with 'Polycystic Kidney Disease' July 2003 (Wrong diagnosis)
Diagnosed with  IgA Glomerulonephritis April 2004
On active transplant waiting list 2006
Hyperparathyroidism developed gradually
Parathyroidectomy May 2009 (Affected kidney function)
Hospitalized for hyperkalemia June 2009
Catheter inserted June 2009

Started CAPD June 2009
Stared APD September 2009

ABO Incompatible transplant 01 December 2010
Donor = Mikes father Greg
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2011, 09:04:47 AM »

I'd like to know about cats specifically (well, pets in general) esp litter boxes for cats, why can you touch pets/clean out a litter pan post tranpslant? I heard somewhere from somebody that I should not have a cat/clean out its litter pan. I have researched all over as to the reason why and I can't find an answer anywhere on the net.

Thanks in advance, if anyone can shed some light on this. Pun intended ;D

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2011, 11:16:13 AM »

http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/diseases/toxopasmosis.htm

Here you go

Toxoplasma Infection and Animals

What is toxoplasmosis ?

Toxoplasmosis (TOX-so-plaz-MO-sis) is a disease caused by a parasite called Toxoplasma gondii. Most people who get toxoplasmosis do not get sick, but some people will get swollen glands, muscle aches and feel as though they have the "flu". Women who are thinking about becoming pregnant should be especially careful about toxoplasmosis because this disease can infect the fetus and cause a malformation or abortion.

Can cats transmit toxoplasmosis to me?

Yes, but not by direct contact with a cat. Toxoplasmosis is passed to people from contaminated cat feces (stool). People can get toxoplasmosis by cleaning kitty litter or touching dirt where cats might have been, including garden soil. Toxoplasmosis can also be passed to people when they eat meat that is not cooked completely, especially pork, lamb, or deer meat.

Some people are more likely than others to get sick with toxoplasmosis. A person's age and health status may affect his or her immune system, increasing the chances of getting sick. People who are more likely to get sick with toxoplasmosis include infants, children younger than 5 years old, organ transplant patients, people with HIV/AIDS and people getting treatment for cancer. Special advice is available for people who are at greater risk than others of getting this kind of disease from animals.
How can I reduce my risk of getting toxoplasmosis?

Wash your hands thoroughly with running water and soap after contact with cat feces (stool) and after gardening.
If you are pregnant or immunocompromised, try to have another person non-pregnant or immunocompromised clean out the litter box every day.
Clean out kitty litter boxes daily (not when pregnant).
If you are pregnant or immunocompromised, keep your cats indoors.
Avoid eating undercooked meat.
Do not feed undercooked meat to your cat.
How can I find out more about toxoplasmosis?

Learn more about toxoplasmosis at CDC's parasitic diseases information site.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2011, 04:05:19 PM »

Thanks so much! :thx; Monrein.  :grouphug; Well, I don't have any pets. Used to, but not anymore. And, I'm not a huge gardener. If I do end up doing a bit of gardening this summer, I'll just make sure I wear gloves when digging in the dirt ;D

Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2011, 09:28:52 PM »

Wait ... do not feed your cat undercooked meat?? Yet the vets say "give the cat RAW chicken wings for them to eat as it helps with their teeth" and of course I don't cook the tinned cat food, but I guess it's ok because it's processed mush.

Anyway Cordelia, I have a kitty (indoor) and this was a big concern to me as well prior to transplant. I constantly talked to the team about it and they all basically said that it would be fine. 1) indoor cat, so less likely to pick up anything nasty, 2) as long as I cleaned the tray with gloves, then used antibacterial on my hands after I was done I should be right, and 3) I got my sister to clean her tray during the first three months until my meds started coming down. I have done it since - with gloves etc and so far I think I am OK. As for handling my kitty and so on, I always try to use antibacterial and/or wash my hands with soap after cuddles, though she does like to come and snuggle up to me in bed when I sleep. I asked the team about that and their response was basically "hey you've had the cat for 7 years, any germs she has you've been exposed to for years. It's probably not an issue - just keep the common sense going of washing etc and you should be fine" - I think the real theme was common sense, and obviously don't pat my cat or have her lick my hand or something then go touch my eyes or face (!)

I suppose everyone's different but so far I think my cat situation has not been a real problem in relation to my transplant, and the benefits she gives me in terms of love and support are totally positive...

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2011, 08:46:58 AM »

Hi Richard :grouphug;

I'm so glad! I really wondered about this. I really appreciate your input :grouphug; Your kitty sounds really cute! I totally understand, you've had her for 7 yrs, why would you part with her now? I'm glad the transplant team was really supportive to you also, that is awesome!!

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2011, 12:33:11 AM »

I was told no "new" pets for the first year.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2011, 01:51:24 AM »

I think the no "new" pets theme jives with what my lot were saying - that if you've had pets for awhile their germs and anything they have already are in your system and your body is used to it, so probably not a big deal but introducing new ones could definitely be an issue.

It was a concern for me because at first I thought I may have to give her up for 3-6 months (or more?) while kidney settled, but all the docs laughed that idea off and said no way (and half the team know about my cat for various other reasons, mostly because she visitied dialysis a number of times to cheer everyone up :) ). I think they wouldn't have wanted to say no to me because they know she's all I really have.

I'm so glad to help put your mind at ease a little more about this Cordelia. i think Celeste understands that things have had to change a bit, as in I don't cuddle her quite as much as I used to, and some of the things I would allow her to do before are no no now (ie: licking my nose is sweet, but you come near it with that tongue now.. bad karma!). I think she's just happy that we're together and there's not been a massive impact on her life. It's funny how they seem to understand these things and take it in their stride and modify their own behaviour appropriately. As it gets colder though she's way more snuggly and makes it known that she doesn't like it when I get out of her bed in the morning (truth be told - neither do I!!). It's so cute though. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2011, 12:55:35 PM »

I really appreciate the help :grouphug; You all are so helpful and understanding here :grouphug;

bleija

« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2011, 08:28:13 AM »

Wait ... do not feed your cat undercooked meat?? Yet the vets say "give the cat RAW chicken wings for them to eat as it helps with their teeth" and of course I don't cook the tinned cat food, but I guess it's ok because it's processed mush.

Anyway Cordelia, I have a kitty (indoor) and this was a big concern to me as well prior to transplant. I constantly talked to the team about it and they all basically said that it would be fine. 1) indoor cat, so less likely to pick up anything nasty, 2) as long as I cleaned the tray with gloves, then used antibacterial on my hands after I was done I should be right, and 3) I got my sister to clean her tray during the first three months until my meds started coming down. I have done it since - with gloves etc and so far I think I am OK. As for handling my kitty and so on, I always try to use antibacterial and/or wash my hands with soap after cuddles, though she does like to come and snuggle up to me in bed when I sleep. I asked the team about that and their response was basically "hey you've had the cat for 7 years, any germs she has you've been exposed to for years. It's probably not an issue - just keep the common sense going of washing etc and you should be fine" - I think the real theme was common sense, and obviously don't pat my cat or have her lick my hand or something then go touch my eyes or face (!)

I suppose everyone's different but so far I think my cat situation has not been a real problem in relation to my transplant, and the benefits she gives me in terms of love and support are totally positive...

i have figured it out
i have 2 theories on why ur dateless
1) ur the crazy cat lady, just not a lady

2) u already have a loving female in ur bed... shes a cat but she gives u all the love and affection u could want...lol

im just kidding
ImaginaryPixel

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2012, 03:53:26 PM »

Well, in my experience, my mom cleaned the whole room (my room), bought a new bed, new curtains, new bedspread... then she painted with an anti-bacterial paint. no plants, no animals inside, even sprayed Lysol all over the place.
The house... well, clean, but not sterile, we had plants, even a little canary, but I didn't spend much time on the living room or the dining room, 3 months almost isolated in my room, and if I had to leave for some reason, I wore a surgical mask.
I guess we need to be exposed a little bit to the environment outside, you know... baby steps...

Ich kann das Ende nicht sehen...
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2013, 09:28:13 PM »

We just got the house cleaned, and the showers, but I must go home and look for the filters in the taps now, thanks for that reminder Monrein (even if you made it a long time ago now)(the joys of an old archived thread).

To add to the list of things to do before a transplant (if you have time).  MomoMcSleepy just described how she made loads of food and froze meals before she went in.  Now they don't need to cook at her house, which is a wonderful thing, even when its not you with the transplant, transplant time is so mad that there's no time for cooking.

My father in law lives with us.  Yesterday, he got up early and made shepherds pie.  We took it out of the oven, wrapped it in towels and took it to hospital.  Stuck it in the fridge down the hall.  At teatime, instead of hospital food, I stuck the pie in the microwave and Gregory, Don and I enjoyed a home cooked meal.  G ate more than he had for days, he didn't have much appetite till then.  :beer1;

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2013, 04:09:57 PM »

I think I have already said this on this thread but am repeating it anyway.
I live in a rural area, lots of dust and an old house. Post tx, 10 weeks out, I went home to a house infested with mice. I cleaned and sprayed etc, always taking hygeine into account but it was all good. We have seven working dogs plus a yard dog but no cats.
Touch wood, I've been lucky not to have caught anything.
I still boil our rain water before drinking, just to be safe.

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2013, 12:14:32 PM »

Getting rid of all the diayslsis stuff!! That was definitly the highlight!!  :2thumbsup;

:beer1;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Amiel

« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2013, 04:44:27 PM »

Not for the house but, I was wondering about other animals? We went to Sea World in San Diego and my son swam with dolphins. I wanted to try that out, but remembered what my doctor said about animals. Could dolphins be on the list of no no's?
MommyChick

Me & my precious Miracle !!!

« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2014, 03:56:29 PM »

Not for the house but, I was wondering about other animals? We went to Sea World in San Diego and my son swam with dolphins. I wanted to try that out, but remembered what my doctor said about animals. Could dolphins be on the list of no no's?

I was told NO birds or reptiles, But salt water is ok to swim in. So I would have gone for it, but that's my opinion  ;D If you really want to be sure you could always call your doctors office to see what they say.
Good Luck!

~ Hello All, My names Marna ~

- 1995 - 12 yrs old found out my kidneys were both failing
- 1996 - Dec. 3 I received my 1st kidney transplant at age 13, after 7/mths on the waiting list
- 2005 - In Aug. transplant failed after 9.5 years, had to have a nephrectomy due to being very ill & massive hypertension
           - End of Aug. 1st time on dialysis
- 2006 - Had my fistula placed & ready to go
- 2010 - My little Miracle was born 6/mths into the pregnancy, weighing 2.4 lbs & 13.25 in long
          - Found out my PRA is 100% & I have antibodies that CAN'T be decreased
- 2013 - Oct. 2nd  *** I finally received my kidney!!! ***
          - Dec. 3rd I had 3.5 parathyroids removed, due to them interfering w/my new kidney.
tigtink

« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2014, 10:25:40 AM »

I wanted to add my 2 cents to this thread since these things have been forefront in my mind lately since I got on the list in Wisconsin.

Thinks I have already done or are working on currently:

1. Cleaning out old paperwork, destroying old hard drives and floppy disks with sensitive data on them, and organizing both my personal and business files.  In case something does go wrong after the transplant or I am incapacitated for a long time, I don't want the people I care about to find boxes of paperwork they do not know how to dispose of properly.  Also, scanning most of my client files and business data to reduce future paperwork (I already have multiple hard drive and online continuous backups for these).

2.  Storing important papers in a readily accessible fireproof box, things such as medical power of attorney, insurance papers, car title, and financial information.  I want my loved ones to be able to find theses in a hurry and I want them protected.

3. Throwing away junk I do not need so in case I need to move or my relatives need to clean out my house, there isn't so much stuff to handle.

4. Disposing of at least some or most of my many many books--the ones that don't have much personal significance or ones I'm not likely to read again.

5. Thinking about things I want the people I love and care about to know in case something happens to either them or me.  I have been doing this verbally, in writing, and hopefully by changing my behavior in ways that make up for some of the mistakes I've made over the past few years while lost in my own emotional stuff.  This includes talking to them about some (but not all) of my feelings and fears about the process so they can better support me before and after the transplant.  The scariest thing for me is being bipolar and knowing I will probably need at least some steroids.  I am working on strengthening my support system so it is there when I need it most.

6. Buying a laptop and arranging to have remote access to my home computer and email while I am recovering from the transplant.  If it happens during tax season, I will make arrangements to have a backup person my clients can contact for help.

7. Learning how to forward calls from by home number to my cell for times when I leave the house for anything but a short outing.  Also programming doctor and transplant center numbers into my cell phone.

8.  Figuring out how to pay most of my bills, including rent, online so I have a way of paying these remotely.  I want to leave instructions for someone to handle these matters if I am unable to do so.

9. Giving extra love to all my cats daily so they will forgive me for being gone for a while.

Things I still need to do:

1.  Find a secure place to save all my online passwords so my loved ones can get into my accounts if need to be.

2.  Writing up instructions on what to do with my online backup files, Facebook account, hard drive files, and physical personal and client files if something happens to me.

3.  Making up some kind of will that leaves instructions on what do with my personal belongs and car.  I don't have much in the way of assets to deal with, but I need to be clear on that process, and also my wishes about what to do with my remains.  I've been on the receiving end of those kinds of end-of-life matters that come after a loved one has died, and I want my wishes to be clear.

4. Having my friend come and do a thorough cleaning so that I can try to keep up with things and be able to come home to a clean house after the transplant.

5.  Making clear plans on how to get to the transplant center in a hurry, contact people who will be helping me, and have someone update family and friends about my condition.  I believe Univ. of WI has a web page I can set up for updates.

6.  Stocking up on cat food and litter, and writing out instructions for the people have promised to care for my cats when I am gone.

That's all I have thought about so far.  I guess that's more than 2 cents worth!!  I certainly am not planning on leaving this life anytime soon, and I still have LOTS of fight left in me, but I want to be responsible about things and well-prepared.  Right now I have the time and energy to deal with these things, and doing so is my way of showing my loved ones that I don't want to make their lives any harder than need be in supporting me in this journey.
SooMK

« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2014, 12:09:26 PM »

What an amazing amount of work. You've tackled most of the things that we should all get done. Moving helped me do most of this stuff and it does feel good to have it nice and tidy. No one plans on a speedy exit but I think it's up to each of us to be ready. The greatest gift you can give to those left behind is to have everything clear. Good work!

SooMK
Diagnosed with Uromodulin Kidney Disease (ADTKD/UMOD) 2009
Transplant from my wonderful friend, April 2014
Volunteering with Rare Kidney Disease Foundation 2022. rarekidney.org
Focused on treatment and cure for ADTKD/UMOD and MUC1 mutations.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »