I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:06:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Did you accomplish anything today?
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 73 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did you accomplish anything today?  (Read 307458 times)
AnnieB

« Reply #1700 on: July 13, 2014, 03:41:34 PM »

Went to church this morning, read a little, continued watching my marathon series of "Grey's Anatomy" on Netflix and decided I didn't feel like doing anything in the least bit productive all day; all without feeling guilty.
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #1701 on: July 14, 2014, 11:06:50 AM »

Four hours of dialysis, and afternoon nap and ate chicken and rice for dinner...
I have written a shopping list for tomorrow!!  :o

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1702 on: July 16, 2014, 10:58:44 AM »

Worked my usual shift, collected Aidan from home as he was convalescing due to illness and brought him to street dance, purchased wine bags and thank you cards for all the teachers we have to thank in the next two days, plus thank you cards for the party attendees. Ordered takeaway. Gwyn has a midnight deadline at work and we are both still recovering from whatever stress-induced illness we had yesterday. I am taking apple cider vinegar twice a day in an effort to kill off this cold quickly, and yet again my cold has all but vanished in a day. As soon as Gwyn walks through the door with Aidan we will all sit down to a divine curry before Gwyn heads back to work.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #1703 on: July 16, 2014, 02:42:54 PM »

Worked my usual shift, collected Aidan from home as he was convalescing due to illness and brought him to street dance, purchased wine bags and thank you cards for all the teachers we have to thank in the next two days, plus thank you cards for the party attendees. Ordered takeaway. Gwyn has a midnight deadline at work and we are both still recovering from whatever stress-induced illness we had yesterday. I am taking apple cider vinegar twice a day in an effort to kill off this cold quickly, and yet again my cold has all but vanished in a day. As soon as Gwyn walks through the door with Aidan we will all sit down to a divine curry before Gwyn heads back to work.
You have an interesting life flow. As I do at times, read through your posts, up to listing page 36.  The apple cider vinegar mention did get my attention. So see my blog post on it.

http://www.thetalker.org/archives/8/honegar-bragg-energy-balancebodyelectrolytes/

Of course I 'talk' on many things, as my blog entries will show, and why the moniker 'Talker'.
Hugs if you and all accept them.
Be Well

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1704 on: July 16, 2014, 06:47:42 PM »

I love to see the differences in language.

'Takeaway' most likely meaning 'takeout' to many of us.

You are not hard to understand at all as I enjoy regional dialect differences.  There are many persons well educated in language dialects that can tell within a few miles where a person is from simply by listening to their   pattern of speak and the actual words/phrases used in the English language.

Curry does sound good!  Nothing here in mid-Missouri but a couple Asian and a mexican place.

Sometimes I have to break down and actually get a dish dirty and fire up the stove/oven/BBQ, however the mood strikes.

I didn't get the ditch weed-wacked today.  But I started to, got about half way thru and gave up.

Will have at it again in a day, or two.

I tired way too easily.
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #1705 on: July 20, 2014, 02:05:35 AM »

Attended a wedding in Manchester amidst thunderstorms and heavy rain but had good time.
Now the long drive home (and more thunderstorms forecasted)  :bow;

10 years of half a life
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1706 on: July 20, 2014, 04:58:58 AM »

Attended a wedding in Manchester amidst thunderstorms and heavy rain but had good time.
Now the long drive home (and more thunderstorms forecasted)  :bow;
Shame it had to be during the wedding. Come to think of it, my friends attended a relative's wedding yesterday and I bet they had the rains for it too. We had just got inside from our weekly open market shop when there was an almighty crack of thunder that made all of us jump. I loved it, love a good rainstorm (and this was a beaut) but I couldn't help but think how lucky we were that we had chosen to hold our kayaking party a week earlier. Glad you had fun, hope the drive wasn't too treacherous. :)

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1707 on: July 20, 2014, 05:08:27 AM »

You have an interesting life flow. As I do at times, read through your posts, up to listing page 36.  The apple cider vinegar mention did get my attention. So see my blog post on it.
Aw, thanks! Never been complimented on my 'life flow' before, I love it, very cool phrasing. Your writing style is delightful.
http://www.thetalker.org/archives/8/honegar-bragg-energy-balancebodyelectrolytes/

Of course I 'talk' on many things, as my blog entries will show, and why the moniker 'Talker'.
Hugs if you and all accept them.
Be Well
I visited your blog, fascinating stuff. I love alternative remedies, and apple cider vinegar and tea tree oil are my two mainstays. I used to drink oolong tea for eczema as well (thankfully that problem seems to have resolved) and my mother is always sending me supplements, with varying degrees of success. I saw that you read a book on the benefits of sodium bicarb, I would find that really interesting as well. I know bicarb is supposed to be beneficial to kidney patients so I should probably experiment with adding that to my supplement regimen.

Delighted to receive hugs and offer some back to you.  :grouphug;  :)

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1708 on: July 20, 2014, 05:42:41 AM »

I love to see the differences in language.

'Takeaway' most likely meaning 'takeout' to many of us.
I think they exclusively say takeaway here, but I could be wrong. I try to only use language that will minimize the risk of starting off a conversation about my accent. I have adopted pronunciation that I never thought I would just because it spares confusion and time. I now pronounce the first syllable of mocha to rhyme with rock rather than smoke. It's stopped sounding weird to me, which is worrying. There are a few that I will not waver on: herb will not be pronounced with an h sound, but the one that comes into play much more frequently is 'pecan'. I cannot stand the pronunciation PEE-can, it sounds faux-Southerner coming out of my mouth. It has always been puh-CAHN to me and I've tried to assimilate but I can't. Also, the way they butcher Spanish loanword pronunciation here is almost insulting (see 'macho' and 'nacho' for proof).
You are not hard to understand at all as I enjoy regional dialect differences.  There are many persons well educated in language dialects that can tell within a few miles where a person is from simply by listening to their   pattern of speak and the actual words/phrases used in the English language.
I think that is true of the UK but not America, it would be more like within 50-100 miles in America unless you are in our largest cities where there will be a difference between a Brooklyn and Long Island accent, for example. Most places there is not enough variation from one town to the next to provide the proper linguistic clues.

I took linguistics many many years ago (the proper hardcore Chomsky stuff, not just cultural linguistics which I've studied much more extensively). My linguistics prof marked me down for how I translated the word 'bank' into IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) because I used the symbol for the long A sound. I questioned her on it and she immediately said 'say it'. So I did and she said 'No' and told me I was actually producing a slightly different sound. I found that fascinating the way she had such a trained ear for it.
Curry does sound good!  Nothing here in mid-Missouri but a couple Asian and a mexican place.
I'd go mad!!!!

Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1709 on: July 25, 2014, 10:59:54 AM »

Watered what few plants I have in what passes for a garden spot.  Two cherry tomatoes, one orange, one red,  a few 'volunteer' tomatoes which must have come from over-ripe ones that I just cast aside and leave last year.  A BUNCH of 'volunteer' watermelon, a few of them are obviously sugar babies, small very dark skin round like a ball.  But a couple more that I'm not sure what kind of watermelon, round and light skinned.  And two of the huge yellow-flesh melons from seeds I saved from one of last years 35 pounders.  I was too lazy to water last year.  Drug the hose out maybe 5 times, and it was a pretty dry summer.  I was surprised the melons did as well as they did.  So this year I'm thinking I'll water and see what happens.  It's been pretty dry already and I've started watering last week.  Not over day, but two or three days, soaking the ground around each plant and a ways out under the spreading vines also.  Enough so that in a couple of days I can still see the soil is still moist under the vines.

Weathermen have been calling for afternoon thunderstorm off and on for over a week.  Not a drop here.  Today is high overcast, which most days burns off shortly after 10, not today.  Hearing a lot of thunder high up in the clouds.  Sounds like it is rolling clear across from horizon to the other.  An occasional flash.  All bark, no bite.  And not a single drop of rain.

Cool, finally.  Last week it was in the 90's with humidity about the same.  Sweltering.  Like living in a sauna.  Glad that I upgraded the A/C years ago.  When running the condensate line runs a steady stream of water that it pulls out of the air.  I should rig a long hose out to the garden.  lol,  I'd have to install a small pump to push the water that far.

Today would have been far more comfortable day to mow the yard, rather than a few days ago when we did.  I tried to tell the Wife, but you know how that goes, trying to tell a woman anything.  It takes more than just a few minutes to mow three acres of yard, in the heat.

I better quit now as that last comment might stir up some of the natives in here. lol

Take Care All,

Charlie B
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #1710 on: July 25, 2014, 12:31:52 PM »

Ha ha,  It finally rained.  I was using my little weed-wacker tiller killing a few weeds in the bald areas of the front flower beds and these huge fat rain drops started in, soaked my shirt before I could kill the motor, set it down and dash into the garage just 20 odd feet away.  Dash, as if, as slow as I am cause my legs do good just to carry my broad behind around with these painful knees. lol

So it looks like I'll have to wait an hour then get back at it again.  It's so dry, by then you won't be able to tell it rained at all.  This probable going to make the grass grow and she'll be on me again in a couple days to cut it!

Great!
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #1711 on: October 14, 2014, 05:30:34 PM »

I got some laundry done, did the dishes and baked a pie! That's a lot for me!

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #1712 on: October 16, 2014, 11:58:34 AM »

Today I sorted out the freezer which I like to do regularly but need help with lifting drawers out! I like to see what I have got, what needs eating up or throwing away, what I need to stock up on...
like ice!!! or hash browns  8)
We ate defrosted and heated carrot and coriander soup for lunch and had cherry and apple crumble also defrosted and reheated for dinner (after a mortadella salad) :P

Sainsburys brought my grocery delivery and I am hoping to try Ina's shrimp cocktail salad for Saturday. She is becoming quite a hit in the UK now, but Drew and I like to have a giggle over the different American pronunciations like Erbs for Herbs or argula? rocket over here.... and the kind of mock french accent she has!!!
I do like her cooking though I am hoping for one of her books in my christmas stocking!!!

10 years of half a life
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1713 on: October 16, 2014, 02:22:45 PM »

First of all I gave myself my weekly Epo-injection half an hour after breakfast and shower
(I still have to prepare myself mentally for my Epo-injections to "uncurl" my legs (and my mind) afterwards again
because I still get into a terribly nervous state about it every week, because of my needle-phobia... but I am slowly getting there...
... then I travelled to another part of the city to buy my special drinking water
and then I travelled to another part of the city to purchase my ground-coffee-beans
from one very reliable (Arabian) special shop where I can be sure, that no chemicals are added
to my freshly ground quality coffee-beans, which I buy only there for my cup of coffee in the morning.
I also studied a bit for my next exam and hopefully I get it over with soon...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 02:42:41 PM by kristina » Logged

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #1714 on: October 16, 2014, 03:51:17 PM »

So far nothing. Planned, nothing, guilty, oh heck no. I have been trying to keep up with the llaundry and ironing. It is not to be accomplished

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1715 on: October 17, 2014, 02:08:29 AM »

Please don't criticize yourself and please don't be too hard on yourself, Jean.
In ESRF we only can take each day as it comes and some days are much worse that others...
I send you my best wishes, Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #1716 on: October 17, 2014, 01:15:18 PM »

Always thoughtful Kristine, thank you. I do the best I can and that is it.

Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #1717 on: October 18, 2014, 12:29:57 AM »

I am asking father christmas for a laundry fairy this year  :bandance; pleeeeeeeeeeze

10 years of half a life
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1718 on: October 18, 2014, 02:04:34 AM »

Always thoughtful Kristine, thank you. I do the best I can and that is it.

Thank you Jean and please take care ...
... autumn can be very dreary on a rainy day....
and sometimes our condition makes life a little harder to take through this season...

Please take care and I send you my best wishes, Kristina.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1719 on: October 18, 2014, 02:23:08 PM »

We arrived home late last night from Massachusetts. This morning I picked up my father's cremains from the funeral home (where I learned it may take up to 2 weeks to get the death certificates!!!), did the grocery shopping, then home and started the laundry from the past week. Made a week's worth of lunches and waited for our new wireless to get hooked up.

In the afternoon I was catching up with email.

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #1720 on: October 31, 2014, 01:34:24 AM »

Oddly enough I FEEL as tho I worked like a mule all day. Made a little trip to the store, made Italian wedding soup, made the bed, cooked my husband his daily egg and cheese omelet, and one load of laundry and cleaned a bathroom, made dinner and cleaned up. Oh wait, now I see why I am so tired. Maybe I should make a list at the end of every day to keep track of my activity.

kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1721 on: October 31, 2014, 11:08:25 AM »

Oddly enough I FEEL as tho I worked like a mule all day. Made a little trip to the store, made Italian wedding soup, made the bed, cooked my husband his daily egg and cheese omelet, and one load of laundry and cleaned a bathroom, made dinner and cleaned up. Oh wait, now I see why I am so tired. Maybe I should make a list at the end of every day to keep track of my activity.

You should! You certainly sound as if you had a very busy day!
Best wishes from Kristina.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #1722 on: October 31, 2014, 12:30:09 PM »

I became a grandmother for the third time!!! Baby Jacob born at 4am weighing 6lb 3oz  ;D

10 years of half a life
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1723 on: November 01, 2014, 12:37:40 PM »

Congrats Sugar

:yahoo;

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #1724 on: November 02, 2014, 03:36:05 AM »

I became a grandmother for the third time!!! Baby Jacob born at 4am weighing 6lb 3oz  ;D

Congratulations to the happy parents and Sugarlump!

Best wishes to all from Kristina.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 73 Go Up Print 
« previous next »