I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 08:25:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Exercise while dialysing is more important for you than anyone else
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Exercise while dialysing is more important for you than anyone else  (Read 4768 times)
kidneydoc

« on: October 09, 2009, 06:23:01 PM »

American Society of Nephrology has put out a press release essentially stating that exercise is good for dialysis patients.

I have wrtten my opinion on the release here. http://www.allkidney.com/2009/10/exercise-and-kidney-disease.html

All Kidney News

Information on kidney disease in clear easy to understand language. Topics covered include:
Chronic Kidney Disease
Kidney stones
Herbal medicine and the kidney
Dialysis Info
Kidney News
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 07:49:34 PM »

Yes, we all know that correct diet and exercise will make us live longer.  But, like the rest of the population we don't listen.

Good article.  Keep trying and you may get a few to do the right thing.

Right now I'm mad because I bought a six month (6 month) membership to a fitness center and they took it upon themselves to make automatic withdrawls out of my checking account after the six months was over and I just found this out.  They got Sept and Oct.  I only used it 2 months and then I had my fistula revision etc.... and did not go back.  Now they have lost my trust.  So, I will not be exercising at a fitness club.

Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 09:51:59 PM »

I can't imagine being able to do anything like that on haemo.  But, it at least would break the monotony.  As long as it didn't become a situation where you HAVE to do the exercise and it was just another reason to dread going to dialysis.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 10:44:12 PM »

When I was on Nocutrnal there was a guy that rode a bike like that for the first 40 minutes into his run.  Made me tired just watching him.

Wallyz

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 10:50:42 PM »

IT is important, it just sucks ass. There's not feeling better after a couple week working out, there's no runners high, just soreness and vomiting.
renan_agtay

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 05:12:56 AM »

im doing a do-it-yourself yoga in the morning. after which i go biking for about 15 to 20 minutes during my 'okay' periods. 'okay' periods i mean times when everything's running fine and smooth. otherwise, i don't because i can't. aside from good things exercise does to me physically, i guess it does give me feelings of normalcy and contentment.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 05:56:28 AM »

I believe exercise is very important and try to walk 5 or 6 days a week. During weekdays on my way to work I walk around 20 minutes most mornings. I also walk at work taking stairs and the like rather than the elevator. On Sundays I do a longer walk, say 4km or last week I did an 8km round trip (that's around 5 miles). I don't go to gym or anything like that but I feel that the little bits that I do do helps keep my body in reasonable shape and could be important when the time comes for transplant. I find walking an easy thing to do(for me), low stress and I enjoy it too. I listen to my ipod and before you know it an hour is done and I've walked my 4km's through parks and gardens. Not too bad (though not so good if it's raining!).

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 07:57:48 AM »

Exercising while on the machine is done at a few centers I've visited over the years.
I remember reading about the benefits about twenty-five years ago.
What's old is new.

There are many IHD members here who exercise outside dialysis.
Here are just some of the threads on this topic:

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=3027.msg270887#msg270887
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=415.msg246467#msg246467
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=14324.msg251268#msg251268
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=9045.msg270786#msg270786

And of course there is Shad Ireland's recent bike ride across the country:
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=15125.0

8)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:01:23 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 08:20:34 AM »

I ride my stationary bike 15 minutes at a time, every 2 hours (when I'm home).  It's the only way I can hope to stay ahead of the 937.5 calories I absorb every day from my PD dialysate!  I even got up to 120 minutes the other day.  That's 2 hours.  I get tired just thinking about it!!!
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 08:26:59 AM »

This is very timely for me!  The last time I spoke to my nephrologist, he advised me to do some moderate exercise for 30 mins, 4 - 5 days a week.  Have I started that yet?  :shy;
I plan to just take a brisk walk with my grandson Mon to Fri.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kidneydoc

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 06:23:07 PM »

I need some help here guys anyone who has been part of an exercise program on dialysis please go back to the post you just read on my website about exercise on dialysis and please read the comments section I seem to have sparked a debate with someone on I hatedialysis. I am trying to let this guy see reason. However maybe someone who has done some exercise on diaysis could share their experience so that he can stop calling me a quack for suggesting that dialysis patients exercise
http://www.allkidney.com/2009/10/exercise-and-kidney-disease.html

All Kidney News

Information on kidney disease in clear easy to understand language. Topics covered include:
Chronic Kidney Disease
Kidney stones
Dialysis Info
Kidney News
kidneydoc

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 07:59:24 PM »

Sorry had to disable comments on that post. A certain poster seems to have an almost personal hatred of me. No idea why I have never been insulted in such away before. I think i will stop while i am ahead. If he wished to have a rational debate its one thing, but he seems too deeply invested emotionally to see reason.

All Kidney News

Chronic Kidney Disease
Kidney stones
Dialysis Info
Kidney News
Hanify
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 10:38:41 PM »

Oh no!  Do you mean someone from this site called you a quack?  Or on your other site.  I hope not.  It's a really interesting topic and often we talk about the need for exercise.  I think it's a great idea if you can combine it with dialysis.

Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Hanify
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 10:41:34 PM »

I had a look - I don't know that same Seydlitz.  Do you think they came from this site?

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 04:24:23 AM »

I need some help here guys anyone who has been part of an exercise program on dialysis please go back to the post you just read on my website about exercise on dialysis and please read the comments section I seem to have sparked a debate with someone on I hatedialysis. I am trying to let this guy see reason. However maybe someone who has done some exercise on diaysis could share their experience so that he can stop calling me a quack for suggesting that dialysis patients exercise
http://www.allkidney.com/2009/10/exercise-and-kidney-disease.html

Old stauffenberg is back!
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=223

I am absolutely sure it is him.
He was always very negative with anything to do with dialysis, including denying the benefits of exercise.

And that's his modus operandi to overwhelm the discussion with his "medical facts."

8)

PS:  Another article on exercise and bone health for those on dialysis:
http://www.imakenews.com/ckdupdate/e_article000556048.cfm?x=b11,0,w

Here is stauffenberg's first (and not last) IHD post against exercise, circa 2006:
Sounds familiar?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 04:38:25 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 06:58:48 AM »

Dr. Roger, please be assured that this is not really an IHD person.  He has not shown up now for a long time, and there was always controversy when he was around. 
My nephrologist told me I should exercise moderately at least 4 to 5 times a week.  Is he a 'quack' too?

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kidneydoc

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 07:30:10 AM »

ahh i see that explains it he has an agenda then.

hmm ok I think I understand whats going on in his head. He must lurk around the forums.

All Kidney News

Chronic Kidney Disease
Kidney stones
Dialysis Info
Kidney News
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 01:36:24 PM »

Good detective work, Zach!   I use a stationery bike. Peleroja inspired me to do a few minutes at a time, several times a day.  I do ten minutes at a time; hopefully I can increase that time.  I have a bad hip that hinders long walks, but I can ride the bike.  Keep posting your information  :thumbup;   

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 02:18:57 PM »

If this is indeed that particular former IHD regular, and the tone is certainly familiar, I would add that one of my very early interactions with him involved an exchange in which he felt and said that my neph ought to have his license revoked.  I was incensed (and I don't use the word lightly) since I've known this doctor for 25 years, respect him greatly and he is highly regarded, with very good reason, in the Toronto nephrology community. 

Madness lurks all over the place and just keeps on popping up for fun.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »