I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 08:23:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Exercise/Workouts
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Exercise/Workouts  (Read 2049 times)
mike22

« on: June 10, 2009, 09:56:02 AM »

I am a 23 yr old male on hemo dialysis. I am look for a good exercise/workout routine. Im not sure what regime is good for me. I also have an av graft in my left forearm and Im not sure what to do as far as weight lifting. Any advice would be good
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 11:06:32 AM »

Sorry Mike no advice im a lazy devil that does PD!  :rofl;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 11:11:26 AM »

No advice here either sorry. I work out but haven't started dialysis yet.  I have heard that weights and stuff are alright tho. But don't take my word on it.  I am sure you will get some help soon.

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 01:01:39 PM »

I work out pretty much the same way as if I wasnt on dialysis.

I still lift heavy on most exercises, I do lighten the weight slightly on my arm that has the fistula in it however.

Because of low hemoglobin levels one doesnt need to attain 80% of MHR to achieve cardio.  From what I have read they say cardio can be achieved at a MHR of 60%.

I routinely still work up to the 80% or more for endurance reasons.

peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 01:45:57 PM »

I can't give you a workout, but riding my stationary bike 10 minutes at a time, 8 times a day, allowed me to lose the 50 pounds I had gained over 5 years on PD.  You didn't say what the purpose of your workout would be.  Weight loss?  Bulk up?  Just cuz it's good for you?
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 04:22:56 PM »

My favorite exercise is a rowing machine, if you can afford one or can use one at a health club.  Rowing machines work all the major muscle groups, including arms and legs--as well as giving a terrific cardiovascular workout.  But check with your doctor first to make sure that it won't damage your fistula.

If you buy one, don't buy the piston-resistance (hydraulic-resistance) ones; buy the air-resistance ones.  I've found that the air-resistance ones let me build up to a decent speed for cardio training more comfortably, without straining my arms in the process.

Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 09:40:18 PM »

I have been on dialysis for only three months and I tried not to change my regular exercise routine from before I started.

I alternate with cardio and weights.  Monday, Wednesday, Fridays I do weights - I don't use any weights differently on my fistula arm to my other arm.  Just don't use the weights that you hook your arms around the weight and pull it into your chest.  That is dangerous and could block your graft. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday I do 20 minutes on the treadmill and 20 minutes on the bike. 

I was also told that I should take up golf to make my graft come more to the surface and to help the muscles etc attach to the graft.  I do my own needling and I was having problems because the graft kept moving every time I cannulated and it has been much better since I have been slamming golf balls at the driving range.

There aren't really too many exercises you can't do, just don't overdo it. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »