I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 08:27:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Want to join me in exercise?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Want to join me in exercise?  (Read 120707 times)
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #350 on: June 17, 2008, 11:15:17 AM »

in the pool again today - never stopping  - little over an hour
with children, pets, and Trasie
very hot outside
walked around pool one time and said---poo on it, the water is cool and way more fun
mariannas

« Reply #351 on: June 17, 2008, 11:40:57 AM »

I rode my bike to the gas station yesterday... I finally found something I can do without hurting my ankles (like with walking.) however, I realized how out of shape I was because so many of the times on the way there (uphill) I wanted to just quit but I didn't and I pulled through.

How long do I have to do this before I start to build stamina again? I hate feeling so out of breath and can barely move my legs riding!

It took me about 2-3 weeks I think.  I still am breathing hard on the treadmill, but that's because I'm working hard on purpose.  When I'm out for a regular walk and encounter a hill it's a breee now!

Today I'm going to (attempt to) play tennis for the first time in several years.  I'm really looking forward to it and it's a nice cool day so it should be enjoyable. 
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #352 on: June 17, 2008, 11:50:16 AM »

Have fun with tennis!

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #353 on: June 17, 2008, 01:12:23 PM »

I rode my bike to the gas station yesterday... I finally found something I can do without hurting my ankles (like with walking.) however, I realized how out of shape I was because so many of the times on the way there (uphill) I wanted to just quit but I didn't and I pulled through.

How long do I have to do this before I start to build stamina again? I hate feeling so out of breath and can barely move my legs riding!

I think you are doing fantastic considering what you've been through lately.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #354 on: June 17, 2008, 03:16:58 PM »

two hours of non stop action in the pool
and I am tired
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #355 on: June 17, 2008, 03:32:04 PM »

I am really going to miss swimming this summer :-\

http://www.kimhoben.com
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #356 on: June 18, 2008, 07:42:32 PM »

oh Kimcanada, sorry about the swimmimg but my nep doc told me swimmimg pools were alright
not oceans, lakes or ponds
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #357 on: August 15, 2009, 12:46:05 PM »

I'm now up to 90 minutes, three time a week with my weight training.
It's time to pump you up!

:boxing;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #358 on: August 15, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »

awesome Zach!!!

4km's with two dogs

http://www.kimhoben.com
fluffy

Fluff!

« Reply #359 on: August 15, 2009, 02:48:48 PM »

swimming today :bandance;
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #360 on: August 15, 2009, 05:17:52 PM »

swimming pool for two hours yesterday and three hours today
did not swiim the entire time but did not stop moving either
played shark and swam after Trasie
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #361 on: August 16, 2009, 08:47:28 AM »

I'm up to 50 minutes of aqua aerobics every day. Missed yesterday, but did 20 minutes in a lake and did a 20 minute walk (too hot for more!)

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #362 on: August 17, 2009, 02:10:09 AM »

Help!

I want to start moving! I am such a tired old bag all the time and today is the day!
NO MORE.

I don't like walking much ... my choints are sore and I am too tired....
Please tell me how much to do to start off.... Even if I walk to the end of the (very short) street and back.... I want too.....

Please help me set up a program.

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #363 on: August 18, 2009, 06:21:48 PM »

Des, you don't have to walk far - even a few minutes around the yard, it's a start.

Got little weights?  Or a couple of small water bottles or even two jars of canned food.  Put them by the tv, and do some weight lifting while you watch.

Maybe try some yoga?  You don't have to walk to do it, and the stretching is good for the joints.  Lots of DVD's out there with basic moves.  Check your local library - they might have some you could try for free.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #364 on: August 19, 2009, 12:37:55 AM »

Des - just a little walk to the end of your driveway and back is a start.  Do you have access to a stationary bike?  I'm going to get one, cos I can't go for long walks.  Think of planning two really small walks tomorrow and see how you go.  Don't overdo it at first.  Swimming is really good - can you swim?  I can't unfortunately cos I do PD.  That's why I'm so jealous of Aleta's pool.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #365 on: December 15, 2009, 11:39:26 AM »

August 19th?  Hasn't anyone been exercising since then?  Yeesh! 

I'm back on my treadmill again.  After all that bedrest, I have no muscles left!  I used to do intervals of running and power walking for half an hour most days.  I managed a plodding pace for 15 minutes today.  Ah, well, that's where I started when I got the treadmill.  I'll just have to work my way back up!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Des
Elite Member

« Reply #366 on: December 15, 2009, 11:51:55 AM »

Man , you really are an inspiration to all of us. I am still battling to get over my 15min.... time... but I am going faster now.

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #367 on: December 15, 2009, 04:04:09 PM »

Good on ya! Six weeks ago, I couldn't walk to the letterbox. Yesterday, I went for a 45 minute walk and climbed 240 steps. Feels great to be moving again!

Galvo
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #368 on: February 26, 2010, 02:59:48 AM »

:bump;

Let's all join in!

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #369 on: February 26, 2010, 02:57:37 PM »

I'm back up to 3 miles an hour - still no running with the open wound, but at least a good walking pace.  I alternate between 1 mile and 2 mile days now.

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #370 on: February 26, 2010, 04:16:54 PM »

I've added a new component to my upper body workout which involves a long, heavy, very thick rope that is threaded through a couple of kettle drums on the floor to keep it in place.  You stand about 10 feet away from the kettles with an end of rope in each hand and snap the rope up and down or outwards.  It's a great cardio workout that doesn't involve the legs but tones the arms at the same time.  Except for the rowing machine, all my other cardio workouts, treadmill, various ellipticals, and cycling  all work the legs so I'm happy to have found this new thing.  I can't do it for very long and I leave it for the end because it really tires me out.  Introduced two friends to it today and they liked it too.
Did a full two hour workout today and am so grateful when I think of just one year ago when everything was so difficult.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #371 on: February 26, 2010, 04:20:19 PM »

I am SO glad to know that I am not the only one that has had to start out plodding along on the treadmill.  I just started (had to get a treadmill).  I knew my muscles were shot...but dang, I didn't know they were barely carrying me around.
I've started on the treadmill and started "opting out" of using elevators when I go to clinic. (Third floor).  Thought I was going to need CPR last Tuesday when I got up there.
Maybe this sticking with this thread will be an inspiration....as all of you are! 

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #372 on: March 13, 2010, 06:24:30 PM »

Best friend moving + upstairs apartment = no need for a cardio or treadmill workout.  Ouch!

KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #373 on: March 14, 2010, 12:22:57 AM »

What a great thread!! I just recently started going to the gym.  My neighbor friend and I joined at around the same time, and go together whenever we can.  I have also bumped into a co-worker there, and also bumped into a mutual friend.  I say, the more people I know who go there, the better!  I have also hired a personal trainer whom I work with once a week.  My goal is to build up my stamina/endurance, strengthen my heart, muscles and bones, and have a general, overall feeling of health and well being.  I am still in stage 4 ckd, but I don't want my disease to "win", so to speak.  I want to beat it in the bud, and be one of those people who can out-do what a "normal" person does in a day!  I don't want to over-do it, however.

Today, I did 3 miles on the treadmill in under an hour, non-stop.  I didn't do much of an incline, and tried to keep my heartrate at around 120-130.  I am also doing some mild weight training.  I want toned legs, arms, and a butt you can bounce quarters off of!  :rofl;

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #374 on: March 14, 2010, 10:59:07 AM »

Nice job on the treadmill, Karen.

Where I come from, bouncing quarters is a drinking game, not an exercise goal, though!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »