I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2024, 04:34:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Bringing back Things to do While on Dialysis Thread
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bringing back Things to do While on Dialysis Thread  (Read 51586 times)
KraigG

I feel like I'm on the Dark Side of The Moon.

« Reply #125 on: October 20, 2011, 10:38:06 PM »

Not as creative as you guys, I mostly watch TV while in the chair. At least it's DirecTV.

During the commercials, I whip out the iPhone, click on Foursquare, and check into all the doctors' offices nearby. I can rack up 100 points in a single evening!

First bout on dialysis: June, 1990
Kidney/Pancreas transplant: August, 1990
Pancreas removed (hospital error): January, 2001
Kidney fails: August, 2011
Second round of dialysis: August, 2011
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2011, 12:15:02 AM »

During the commercials, I whip out the iPhone, click on Foursquare, and check into all the doctors' offices nearby. I can rack up 100 points in a single evening!

*LOL*  I never thought of doing that... I should do that to all the Tim Horton's that show up in the area... I"m the mayor at one of them, so I could really rack up the points

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2011, 05:19:25 AM »

I watch the Red Foxx and Bonanza reruns on TV Land, and I read books during the commercials.  If the patients near me aren't asleep I like to strike up conversations with them, but most of them are in the twilight zone.  I like to joke around with the nurses too. 
KraigG

I feel like I'm on the Dark Side of The Moon.

« Reply #128 on: January 13, 2012, 03:39:48 AM »

*LOL*  I never thought of doing that... I should do that to all the Tim Horton's that show up in the area... I"m the mayor at one of them, so I could really rack up the points

OMG! During the 3 1/2 hours I'm there, 3 days a week, I get to check in every 15 minutes, and at 3 places each time. Any more, and you get timed out. I'm the mayor of every doctors office, physical therapy place, dentists office, etc, in a 3 mile radius. My point score is rarely below 500 :)

Edited: Fixed quote tag error - okarol/admin
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:01:24 AM by okarol » Logged

First bout on dialysis: June, 1990
Kidney/Pancreas transplant: August, 1990
Pancreas removed (hospital error): January, 2001
Kidney fails: August, 2011
Second round of dialysis: August, 2011
MomoMcSleepy

My son Roddy McSleepy at 6 months! sry pic sidewz

« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »

Seriously, though, can you do work on your laptop?  Could I write magazine articles or a book and make mad money while getting my blood cleaned out?  Are you allowed to use your fistula arm while dialyzing? Do centers often have WiFi?  I was searching and found a WiFi thread.  Can you watch movies, really?  I have tons of DVDs.

I want to be useful (or at least, entertained).

Do you feel like using your laptop, or feel too sick to do much?

I have no definite plans, perhaps I'll write a blog and earn fame and fortune, Lemons to lemonade!

I'm serious, what limitations are there, in general?  I'm still pre-d.

35 years old, first dx w/  chronic renal insufficiency at  28, pre-dialysis

born with persistent cloaca--have you heard of it?  Probably not, that's ok.

lots of surgeries, solitary left kidney (congenital)

chronic uti's/pyelonephritis

AV fistula May 2012
Kidney Transplant from my husband Jan. 16, 2013
Howard the Duck
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2012, 12:59:06 PM »

I just started reading on my IPAD.  Sometimes I wish I was still on a catheter instead of a fistula so I could type. 
chiawana

« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2012, 12:36:39 PM »

My husband is the one on dialysis. He takes his 7-inch Samsung tablet as well as his iPhone with him when he goes. He checks e-mail, posts on Facebook, and watches videos and TV shows sometimes, too. Get this -- they have WIFI at the center, but no one knows what the password is! This is what they told him Friday. WTF? So he's using our Verizon 3G connection. He tries to sleep, but never has a lot of luck with that.

My husband is represented in the avatar - he's a Capricorn, the Goat. He's been knocked off his mountaintop so many times by his health issues, but he continues to fight his way back to the top, a little worse for wear.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2012, 10:23:54 PM »

Got an iphone to play with now at dialysis. But when they hit me with the Benadryl I am toast.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
MomoMcSleepy

My son Roddy McSleepy at 6 months! sry pic sidewz

« Reply #133 on: April 04, 2012, 10:12:36 AM »

Poop, Whamo, if you have a fistula you can't use that arm? 

iwannabean, too funny.

I probably will just goof  around on my touchpad, it kills time at work!

35 years old, first dx w/  chronic renal insufficiency at  28, pre-dialysis

born with persistent cloaca--have you heard of it?  Probably not, that's ok.

lots of surgeries, solitary left kidney (congenital)

chronic uti's/pyelonephritis

AV fistula May 2012
Kidney Transplant from my husband Jan. 16, 2013
Howard the Duck
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #134 on: April 04, 2012, 03:38:49 PM »

I was using the iphone the other day, put in a new password, got the meds at dialysis, and had one hell of a time remembering the password I used.  Sigh!~

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
ChrisEtc

« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2012, 08:02:40 PM »

Great thread!  I like to bring some bubbles and blow them at people as they walk by.  Or bring one of those sponge dart guns and fire them off at people.  I like to call the nurses station on the phone and ask for reservations and get upset when they say this isn't Roscoe's Waffle House I'm calling.  ThinkGeek.com has this annoying thing that you hide under someone's desk that makes all these annoying noises, like a young girl whispers and these rustling noises.  It will drive them crazy!  I'm thinking of bringing  a remote controlled helicopter to fly around the room.  Anything to pass the time!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #136 on: April 24, 2012, 10:15:39 AM »

Great thread!  I like to bring some bubbles and blow them at people as they walk by.  Or bring one of those sponge dart guns and fire them off at people.  I like to call the nurses station on the phone and ask for reservations and get upset when they say this isn't Roscoe's Waffle House I'm calling.  ThinkGeek.com has this annoying thing that you hide under someone's desk that makes all these annoying noises, like a young girl whispers and these rustling noises.  It will drive them crazy!  I'm thinking of bringing  a remote controlled helicopter to fly around the room.  Anything to pass the time!

:rofl; Roscoe's lol

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #137 on: April 24, 2012, 11:13:24 PM »

My husband is the one on dialysis. He takes his 7-inch Samsung tablet as well as his iPhone with him when he goes. He checks e-mail, posts on Facebook, and watches videos and TV shows sometimes, too. Get this -- they have WIFI at the center, but no one knows what the password is! This is what they told him Friday. WTF? So he's using our Verizon 3G connection. He tries to sleep, but never has a lot of luck with that.

They just tell everyone they offer it, but never get it connected.  I remember my center saying the same thing!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #138 on: November 26, 2012, 11:27:36 PM »

Here's a good blog post about things to do  :2thumbsup;
http://bigdandme.wordpress.com/2012/11/24/ten-1-things-to-do-on-dialysis/

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2012, 01:58:37 PM »

My Dentest just told me that I should get the sonacare electric tooth brush and sit at dialysis and brush my teeth. 

No, I need to post this in "Ignorant Things People say to you".

Let's see should I sit there and brush my teeth before or after my snack!! 

I've got to give the guy credit.... he is focused on his occupation! 

:banghead;   No!  The answer is No I'm not doing that.   :stressed;

malaka

« Reply #140 on: December 05, 2012, 02:22:03 PM »

My center has a secret WIFI for use by employees and not by patients.  So the computer is useless.  And no connection for my Kindle, either.  But I do download books at home and read them on the Kindle (only needs one hand to operate) at the center during treatment.  Learned right away to store in the device, not in the "cloud" wherever that is as I can't reach the cloud while at the center.

My phone works for email, but typing one handed is a pain in the ..... hand.  So I do read what I get, rarely reply.  Too bad I couldn't respond that official notice from Nigeria that I'd won the lottery there....

Lots of patients watch TV, but I don't have the patience for morning basic cable TV as even the local news gets too repetitive.   And we have to ask to have the channel changed for us since we're not trusted to control the TV set, I guess.  Thankfully, the patients must listen through earphones so I don't have to listen to what they're watching. 
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #141 on: December 05, 2012, 10:04:22 PM »

I download shows and watch them on my netbook.  Right now, I'm getting through Dark Shadows, a soap opera from the late 1960s-early 1970s.. I also have the 3rd season of Downton Abbey and a good selection of movies

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2012, 06:48:38 AM »

I download shows and watch them on my netbook.  Right now, I'm getting through Dark Shadows, a soap opera from the late 1960s-early 1970s.. I also have the 3rd season of Downton Abbey and a good selection of movies

I would watch that and I was only 6 and my older sisters would have it on.  I would sleep with the covers wrapped around my neck.  Wow they should have a movie where the vampires break into a dialysis center and kill the staff and have dinner.  Ewwwwuuuu

tiredandthirsty

« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2012, 01:10:48 PM »

my centre offers wifi.  and i take my work laptop and do some work while listening to some nice music in the background on youtube.  i am placed in an isolation room so i don't get to speak to anyone or any nurses or techs.  i am by myself 90% of the time except when they come in once in a while to take down the bp and stuff.  i can't work everyday because it depends on how i feel.  so sometimes i watch basic cable tv they offer.  if their wifi is not working, i have hotspot from my mobile phone that i use to get online.  so i basically try to waste time doing work. 
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #144 on: December 08, 2012, 05:41:38 PM »

I would watch that and I was only 6 and my older sisters would have it on.  I would sleep with the covers wrapped around my neck.  Wow they should have a movie where the vampires break into a dialysis center and kill the staff and have dinner.  Ewwwwuuuu

hehe.. When I was a kid in the hospital, there was one labworker that used to come around in the morning to take blood.. we called her the vampire lady.. *L*

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »