I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 12:32:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Marvin's brother has cancer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvin's brother has cancer  (Read 40961 times)
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2008, 05:54:43 AM »

petey, any update on Walt? We are praying for him and all of you.  :grouphug;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2008, 06:06:00 AM »

Walt is doing exceptionally well.  He's been up and walking around (almost once an hour).  The pain is subsiding and he's using less and less of the pain meds.  The incision is healing beautifully, and his surgeon said she'd talk about letting him come home next Tuesday!  That's going to be so much better for him and his wife.  Marvin's working now trying to get a home health agency to come on board.  Walt still has the feeding tube, so they'll need help with that.  Walt's wife came home for the weekend (left their 19-year-old grandson up there to help Walt), and she plans to go back Sunday.  The doc said she'll be getting the "plan" together for his chemo/radiation treatments (he should be able to go to a hospital about 30 minutes from us for that -- so that will be much easier).  The surgeon said she's not saying she got it "all," but she thinks she got most of it.  That, we take, as good news.

Now for some bad news.  Another of Marvin's brothers (he has four brothers all together) has been having some problems lately and has had a series of tests.  He got the results back yesterday (Friday).  Buddy (who's 2 years older than Walt and 12 years older than Marvin) has liver cancer!  They think it may have also spread into his pancreas.  The family is in shock!  How could this have happened to two brothers within such a short time of each other?  What in the world are we going to do?
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2008, 06:26:02 AM »

You are going to do just what you did for Walt - be supportive and go through this with him.  Family is what matters in dealing with challenges.
My caring thoughts and prayers are with you all. :grouphug;

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2008, 07:09:06 AM »

You are going to do just what you did for Walt - be supportive and go through this with him.  Family is what matters in dealing with challenges.
My caring thoughts and prayers are with you all. :grouphug;
Exactly what bajanne said petey, love, support and prayer.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2008, 09:25:23 AM »

Damn  :banghead;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2008, 09:30:00 AM »

I am so sorry to here this. please know I am saying a prayer for your entire family...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2008, 09:33:49 AM »

Oh Marsha, when I started to read your post I was so pleased but what a blow.  I can't make it better but please know my caring thoughts and prayers are with you and all of the family.  I hope things get better real soon.
Love to all of you xxxx
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2008, 10:54:35 AM »

It's all very overwhelming right now.  I imagine that when it sinks in and we get on the track of trying to get both of these men better (well ? even) it will be easier to bear.

It's funny, but Marvin has always been the baby (the first five kids were born within 7 years of each other -- then eight years later, Marvin came along  :oops; ).  Marvin has always, always been the true baby -- they even call him "Baby Marvin" to his face (and he's 53 years old and about 250 pounds!)  But, with all of these most recent things, Marvin has stepped up and become like the "big brother."  He's been there for the others, loaned a shoulder to lean on, helped get some logistical things figured out.  All week long, he's been the family "contact" for Walt -- Walt's wife called Marvin, and then he, in turn, had to make calls to the rest of the family. Marvin was the one they called to be there when they told Buddy about his results yesterday.  I continue to be amazed at the strength Marvin has -- and I always thought I married him just for those sexy blue, blue eyes!
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2008, 11:54:52 AM »

Petey, I'm so sorry to hear this latest news about Marvin's other brother.  Sending you all my love and prayers.  :grouphug;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2008, 04:09:14 PM »

no sense to this, none at all  :banghead;

for all concerned  :grouphug;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2008, 06:37:41 PM »

Oh Lord, what a blow.  The good thing of all this is your family is so very supportive to each other and for each other.  We are praying for all of you.
Ann

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2008, 06:51:23 PM »

Petey, just keep putting one foot in front of the other, like you have for years.  Not easy but somehow the human spirit keeps on going.  My husband's sister died of breast cancer and then three months later his other sister was diagnosed with breast cancer.   My brother in law has liver failure and Monday my brother is having a liver scan because they think his is also failing.  I am now becoming the healthy one in the family!   So, put on that smile and stand tall.  You may have to be the strong one for Marvin's family.  I know it is a very hard role so come here and lean on us.    I am sorry this is happening.  You are all in my prayers.    :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2008, 07:06:43 PM »

Marvin and I have been busy lately trying to help with both brothers.  Walt (had surgery on Dec. 8 -- doc thinks she got it all) has been home since Dec. 16.  He has an open wound, and I've been changing the packing and dressing for him (the home health nurse said his insurance would only pay for three visits from her -- WTF?  This man has an open wound that will take weeks to heal).  Walt's wife was a little bit nervous about it all.  Fortunately for Walt, I have lots of experience with open wounds (my Marvin has had too many to count -- I've packed some, we've used the "wound vac" on some).  He also has a feeding tube, but his wife is taking care of this part (I have no experience with these things -- thank goodness).  Marvin and I go by Walt's house twice a day so I can change his packing/dressing and Marvin can do little "honey-do" chores around the house for Walt's wife (he put up a new porch light a few days ago!).  Walt's recovering, but I think he still has a long way to go.

Marvin's other brother, Buddy, has received confirmation from the doctor that it is cancer of the liver and has spread to the pancreas.  Both organs are completely consumed, and surgery is not an option.  Buddy is in a lot of pain, and he stays in the bed almost all day every day.  He's going back to the doctor tomorrow to talk about chemo/radiation (which the doc says will ease some of the pain and may give him an extra month or two of life).  Right now, we're not sure that Buddy will try this.  I think he's given up.  He has gone down hill severely (both physically and emotionally) in the last two weeks.  Marvin, oldest brother Jim, and Buddy's daughter are going with him to see the doc in the morning.

It was a difficult Christmas for Marvin's family.  We're praying for a miracle with both brothers, but, more than anything else, we're praying that neither will have to suffer. 
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2008, 07:16:28 PM »

That seems very odd that insurance will only cover 3 visits. Seems someone has to fight tooth and nail with the insurance.

Sorry to hear about Buddy also.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2008, 11:14:18 PM »

Marsha I wish I could put my arms around you and Marvin.  :grouphug;  I will hold you all in my thoughts and prayers and above all pray that Buddy does not suffer.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2008, 12:32:02 AM »

:grouphug; So much to deal with - sending hugs and prayers your way.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2008, 03:24:54 AM »

:grouphug;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #92 on: December 29, 2008, 04:53:41 AM »

:grouphug; Oh petey, I am so sorry, All of you will be in our thoughts and prayers. Marsha, you are an angel for all you do.  :cuddle;

lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #93 on: December 29, 2008, 06:45:53 AM »

:grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #94 on: December 29, 2008, 11:21:58 AM »

I can only send you hugs during this time  :grouphug; :grouphug;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #95 on: December 29, 2008, 11:33:16 AM »

Petey, I am sure that it is difficult to be changing dressings twice a day without any help from home health aides, but I am sure you are doing a much better job for Walt than they would because you care.

We wish the best for you, Marvin and his family. I wish no one ever had to go through this kind of stuff. When no treatment options are left, as much as I hate to say this, be sure Hospice is contacted. They will not let Buddy suffer. However, I truly hope your family gets its miracle. Rolando and I, we believe.

:grouphug;

Alene and Rolando

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2008, 06:16:42 PM »

We just got back from the mountains.  I am so very sorry to hear about Marvin's other brother.  I pray you all have the strength needed to continue this fight.
Ann

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2008, 07:26:09 PM »

:grouphug;  :grouphug;

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #98 on: December 31, 2008, 09:12:10 AM »

petey, if it isn't one thing it's another. life is what happens when you're busy making other plans  :grouphug; even though things are not going well, marvin is lucky to have such a strong family group. my ex-husband comes from a very large family, his mother had 10 siblings his father 11. the only time most of them speak to each other is weddings and funerals. know that we are all thinking of you and hoping for the best outcomes possible and wish we were there to help.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2008, 12:53:53 PM »

I'm hoping that 2009 will be a much better year for all of you.  :cuddle;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »