I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 10:18:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Marvin's brother has cancer
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvin's brother has cancer  (Read 40956 times)
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2009, 08:07:01 PM »

I am sorry for all you are dealing with Petey.  :grouphug;

I was not aware that there is a possible genetic component to pancreatic cancer.  I do not think my husband's family is aware of this either.  My husband's aunt died of pancreatic cancer fall 2007.  I hope it will not be PKD from one side of the family and pancreatic cancer from the other...  :'(  :'( :'(  My son is just beginning to grapple with the notion that he could have PKD.  My husband first had high blood pressure at 25 and his father first had high blood pressure at 23.  Will is now 18 1/2.  These genetic diseases feel like ticking time bombs.

I just did a quick web search and found one site that says about 10% of pancreatic cancer appears to be genetic.  That's a pretty small percentage, I guess.

Petey, I know this is a lot to ask, but sometime later on when you are feeling stronger, if you will let me know if you learn something that you can share - a website with good info, or any other information on the possible genetic links of this disease... thank you  :grouphug;

I have to say though that right now I am sitting here losing it.   :'(
 :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2009, 11:49:19 PM »

I'll be sending extra love your way over the next 2 very difficult days  :grouphug;
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2009, 01:00:19 AM »

Thank You for replying Petey and you didn't have to. I'm glad that they will tes frequently.

Why don't you take a rest from the pc, get some rest and spend some time with Marvin. You both have been running ragged lately and deserve a break of some kind. You need some me time even though we are grateful and saddened by your updates.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2009, 05:29:22 AM »

Actually, searching around on the internet and coming here is a type of therapy for me.  We're still squeezing in Marvin's home hemo treatments every day, so I'm "housebound" during that three hours -- and there's only so many times you can mop a kitchen floor in one day.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2009, 05:55:12 AM »

Prayers to you and your family.  So much to deal with.  Sorry Petey, you and Marvin deserve a break.   Thankfully you have eachother.  :grouphug;

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2009, 06:06:40 AM »

:grouphug; petey and Marvin. We are thinking abou you all.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #131 on: January 16, 2009, 01:05:50 PM »

It's been a tough week, and we're still struggling.  We had planned a "benefit" barbecue day for Buddy for tomorrow (Jan. 17) because Buddy's had so many medical bills (pitiful insurance, too).  When we planned it, we were hoping Buddy could come and have a chance to visit with all of his friends.  Now that he's gone, we're still going forward with it (he had no life insurance, and funerals are expensive).  Marvin's been working all week to get everything lined up for that.  Even as we speak, there are about 20 volunteers at our town's ballfield cooking pigs to sell plates tomorrow.  (Marvin, Buddy, and I are all heavily involved in the youth baseball organization around here.)  We're hoping for a good crowd.  Marvin came home so we could do a treatment this afternoon after I got home from school, but we're both going back to the baseball park tonight.

So far, Marvin has gotten everything donated -- pigs, slaw, baked beans, tea, rolls, cakes, pies, plates, cup, ice, etc.  The volunteers who coach in my youth baseball league are doing all the cooking and serving.  These are wonderful people, and I couldn't love them more if they were my brothers and sisters.  We're hoping to get "donations" for the barbecue plates, and all the proceeds will go to Buddy's children to pay off his medical and funeral bills.

kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2009, 01:19:10 PM »

What a wonderful way to support you, these people sound like angels and you must live near Mayberry (Andy Griffin)  ...   :grouphug; Hugs to you and Marvin.

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2009, 02:00:38 PM »

:grouphug;

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2009, 03:27:30 PM »

petey,  :bow; you and Marvin are just such wonderful people. I can't imagine going through a death and then having to deal with financial issue too. Bless your hearts and I hope tomorrow brings much need funds. Please give Marvin a big  :cuddle; from me and let us know how it goes. We will all be thinking about you.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2009, 05:37:49 PM »

You obviously have some fans in your community.  Of course!  Do unto others... :cuddle;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2009, 08:59:02 PM »

sounds like its a great testament to what a good guy he was, I'm sorry for your loss.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2009, 06:48:58 AM »

:bump; Tell us how yesterday went petey.  :waving;

petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2009, 07:22:19 AM »

The fund-raiser day we had yesterday for Buddy (Marvin's brother) was phenomenal !   

First of all, let me set the scene.  We live in a little tiny town (two stoplights and about 750 residents).  Here, everybody knows everybody, and most people are kin one way or another to most everybody else.  Marvin's family is well-known in the community for the volunteer work we all do in various organizations and churches.

Marvin had barbecue, slaw, baked beans, rolls, plates, cups, ice, tea, desserts, etc. donated by businesses and individuals (lots of "old" ladies in town baked cakes), and our goal was to provide 500 plates (asking for a $6 donation for each plate).  We sold out of everything (and even had to go buy more plastic silverware sets, more baked beans, and more rolls).  We cooked 840 pounds of barbecue and barbecued 200 chicken quarters.  When the day was over, we had sold almost 900 plates and raised a little over $12,000.

Buddy, Marvin, and I have volunteered for years and years in the "Dixie Youth Baseball" program (youth baseball organization -- run entirely by volunteers in 11 southern states -- similar to "Little League").  We held the benefit day at our ball park, and the men and women who coach in our little town with me and Marvin cooked, served, planned, and prepared everything.  Marvin's other family members came in and helped our baseball group pull everything off.  We had not only local people come, but lots of Dixie Youth "family" from various parts of the state came, too.  It was a wonderful day, and we were so humbled by the generosity of our friends who came to support the event.  Those of us who "worked" were tired, but we had a good time -- lots of laughs and memories shared.

Buddy's children now have enough funds to pay off his medical bills, his funeral bill, and even buy a marker for his grave.  They cried and cried when they saw how many people came and helped them out.  Buddy --- who was a "people person" -- would have been thrilled if he could have been there to talk to everybody.  He loved all people, and while we knew he was well-thought-of, we had no idea that it would be that big and that successful.

I know there are some mean, rotten people in this world, but yesterday, my faith in humanity was strengthened even more.  There really are so many good, kind people in this world, and I'm blessed that I know a lot of them.
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2009, 07:25:47 AM »

:yahoo;

willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2009, 07:59:17 AM »

:clap; Oh petey, that is just wonderful. I thought about you a lot yesterday. That sounds like the kind of place I would like to live. I'm sure that Buddy is smiling down at everyone for taking care of his family. Bless you and Marvin for pulling all of that off on such short notice.  :cuddle;

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2009, 09:43:54 AM »

That was a superb memorial to Buddy. I bet he was there with you in spirit enjoying every minute of it!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2009, 09:49:01 AM »

Marsha, you and Marvin are such special people.  What a wonderful tribute to Buddy and what a fantastic warm feeling you must have to know that Buddy was so highly thought of by so many people.  Kit is right, Buddy was there enjoying it all.   :cuddle;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2009, 10:18:18 AM »

It's inspiring to hear your story and how a community came together. It's special tribute to Buddy and his family.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #144 on: January 18, 2009, 11:51:12 AM »

Petey how AWESOME :bandance; :bandance; when going threw a crisis worrying about money is the last thing someone should have to deal with and now because of Marvin and all the great people his kids won't have to wonder how to pay for things.  :grouphug; :grouphug;

thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #145 on: January 18, 2009, 12:03:35 PM »

petey, i truly believe that while there may be mean rotten people in this world, they are really few and far between. we just hear about them. a wonderful story like the results of your bar-b-que rarely makes the nightly news. i'm glad it was such a success. what a wonderful memory for buddy's family to have. a fabulous testament to the goodness in all of us.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2009, 01:13:20 PM »

Yesterday was a great testimony to Marvin's family including you and I'm sure Buddy was there with everyone too.  You are blessed.
Ann

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #147 on: January 30, 2009, 12:26:46 PM »

:waving; petey, how is Walt doing? We need an update. How are you and Marvin holding up?  :cuddle;

petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2009, 03:31:26 PM »

Thanks for asking, willieandwinnie.  Walt seems to be holding his own.  The incision is slow to heal (still packing after two months), and he's not gaining any weight (in fact, he's lost some).  To me, he still doesn't "look good" (color in face is still yellow some, ashy some, and pale some).  However, he says he's feeling stronger every day.  It's been a long, uphill battle.  Poor fella!  But, he has a good, optimistic attitude about it all.

We are all struggling with the loss of Marvin's other brother, Buddy.  Buddy was the "daddy" in the family (though he was the second oldest).  Since Marvin's dad died when Marvin was a little boy, Buddy took over that role for all of the others (but especially Marvin).  Every Father's Day, I would get something for Buddy from Marvin and me.  Since I didn't know Marvin's dad, I used to tell Buddy that he was the only father-in-law I had known.  We miss him terribly.

The rest of the family has started treating Marvin like the "daddy" now -- and that's so weird.  The other five siblings are close in age (all five born within about seven years), and Marvin came along eight years after the fifth one.  (He was definitely a surprise baby -- his mom was 40 and his dad 52.)  Marvin has always, always been the BABY -- and now, they're looking to him to lead the family.  So far, Marvin is being a good "daddy" and calls all the others several times a day, makes sure they're okay, visits them every time he gets a chance.  Marvin was also the one Buddy's grown children looked to to make decisions during the funeral; he has been so good to his niece and nephew.  Of course, Marvin says he's just "paying back" to them how good Buddy was to him.

I'm the youngest in my family, and I'm also eight years younger than Marvin (so I'm the age of several of his nieces and nephews).  I always thought that I'd like to "last" longer than all the others, but I don't think so any more.  It's so hard when you lose one.  Marvin has declared that he'll out-live all the rest (even me!), and he probably will.
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2009, 05:12:37 PM »

Clearly these are difficult times for you and Marvin and the family, but still Petey, I can tell you that you are lucky to have so much love in your family.  I hope Walt continues to get stronger and that his wound will heal a little more quickly as his strength grows.
 :grouphug;

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »