I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 10:21:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Marvin's brother has cancer
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvin's brother has cancer  (Read 40959 times)
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #100 on: December 31, 2008, 02:09:15 PM »

Petey - you are an angel and a strong one at that!  I hope 2009 brings better health for Marvin's family.  :cuddle;

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2009, 05:20:52 PM »

The last week or so has been a blur at our house.  Marvin's brother Walt (surgery on Dec. 8 to remove part of stomach, part of pancreas, part of intestines, and all of gallbladder -- cancer found) is improving slowly.  He still has an open wound and is still losing weight (lost about 10 pounds since the surgery -- is down to about 140 pounds now).  He is, however, up and moving around some, so that's good.  I am very concerned -- even though the surgeon said she thought she got it all, I'm not convinced.  I would think that he would be putting back on weight -- or at least holding steady.  He had a feeding tube and was eating by mouth for four weeks.  They took the feeding tube out last week.

Marvin's other brother, Buddy, found out he had advanced pancreatic and liver cancer on Dec. 12.  Surgery was not an option.  Chemo was mentioned, but now that's not possible either.  Buddy is in a lot (and I mean A LOT) of pain.  He sleeps about 23 1/2 hours a day.  Hospice came in last week.  They're now giving him morphine, and he's still hurting.  It's a bad, bad situation, and we don't think he'll be able to hang on much longer.  He's not eating at all and drinking very, very little.  He probably doesn't weigh 125 pounds and is "confused" most of the time.  Saturday night he didn't recognize Marvin, and that was about as pitiful as I've seen Marvin.

Now that I'm back in school, Marvin spends his days trying to help with Buddy.  I feel like we're just going through the motions of living right now.  My heart aches for Marvin, and I don't know how to help him get through this.  Marvin's mother died of cancer in 1993, and it was very tough on him (his dad died when he was aoubt 12 and Buddy -- who's 12 years older than Marvin -- sort of took over as Marvin's "father figure").
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2009, 05:26:50 PM »

Petey, my heart goes out to you and Marvin as well as the entire family.  You are Marvin's rock, and he yours, I'm just so sorry that you are both having to cope with all of this.   :grouphug;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2009, 05:40:38 PM »

Oh Petey...Saul and I just read this and are so very sorry for you, Marvin and all your family.  All you can do is be there for Marvin, much like we all try to be there for you. All of our prayers are to lift your family and we pray that through all this stress Marvin can maintain his dialysis and health and for you to maintain your strength.
Saul and Ann

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2009, 05:47:18 PM »

This is so much to deal with at once - I am so sorry it's happening to Marvin and you petey, all I can do is send you some HUGS! Take care!  :grouphug;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2009, 05:55:08 PM »

Petey, I am so sorry that you have to go through all of this pain and sadness.  We lost a dear aunt to pancreatic cancer a little over a year ago and my mom's best childhood friend from the same the year before.  It's a horrible disease.  I was already crying every time I read about Walt and then you had the news of Buddy. I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers. :grouphug;  

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2009, 04:33:17 AM »

:cuddle; petey, my heart aches for you and Marvin. Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and your entire family. Wish I could give you a big HUG and just sit and listen. We are here when you need us and please give Marvin a extra tight squeeze from me.  :grouphug;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2009, 04:42:29 AM »

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family...Boxman

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2009, 08:00:40 AM »

:grouphug; we love you  :grouphug;
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2009, 08:05:53 AM »

So much to deal with and so much sadness.   :'(   My heart is hurting for all of you.   Prayers being said for Marvin and all the family.   I think we all crying with you today.   :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2009, 07:05:35 PM »

Marvin's brother Buddy died this morning about 3:15 a.m.  He was diagnosed 28 days ago with pancreatic and liver cancer.  We are very sad and heart-broken, for Buddy truly was a wonderful man.  However, the last five days, he has suffered horrifically, and we're relieved that his suffering is over -- that is the only "comfort" we can find now.

One of Marvin's other brothers, Walt, was diagnosed in November -- also with pancreatic cancer.  He's currently recovering from extensive surgery.

Please pray for us.

jessup

Gemma - the tucker monster

« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2009, 07:11:24 PM »

:grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;
lots of loving prayers for you all
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2009, 07:14:26 PM »

:grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

{{Hugs}} from across the ocean.

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2009, 07:16:37 PM »

:grouphug;

Prayers going out for all of you.

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2009, 07:55:48 PM »

Saul and I are so sorry for you.  Our prayers go out to you and your family.     :grouphug;

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2009, 08:21:03 PM »

Prayers for your family and love in your time of grief.  :grouphug;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2009, 08:27:15 PM »

I am so very sorry for all of Marvin's family.  Please give him our love.  Life can be so hard and you all have really had a lot to deal with lately.  Prayers will be said for all of you. I am sure Buddy is happy and painfree and probably talking with our own Ohio Buckeye.  :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2009, 09:52:45 PM »

:grouphug; so sorry Petey

rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #118 on: January 10, 2009, 11:40:17 PM »

Marsha and Marvin I'm so sorry for your loss, sending love and prayers for you and all of Buddy's family, particularly Walt :grouphug;
Buddy is now painfree and I hope your own pain will ease in time. We all love you guys  :cuddle;
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2009, 12:05:10 AM »

Sorry to hear petey.

I'm at a loss of words. It looks like so far Walt is going to pull through and that is a good thing. With 2 brothers having pancreatic cancer will doctors test Marvin?

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2009, 03:46:08 AM »

Sorry to hear petey.

I'm at a loss of words. It looks like so far Walt is going to pull through and that is a good thing. With 2 brothers having pancreatic cancer will doctors test Marvin?

The last time Buddy went to Duke (Durham, NC) to see the oncologist, Marvin and another brother (Jim) went with him.  The doctor told Buddy that Duke was interested in doing a research study on his family -- if they would participate.  Apparently, this is a hereditary thing, and the doctor said they could test any and all close blood relatives of Buddy's to see if they carried the gene.  If a family member does not have the gene, you say, "Whew!  Something else will get me."  If a family member does have the gene, they can have close and frequent testing to try to catch it early if it strikes you (just because another family member has the gene doesn't mean that they'll get the disease -- it just makes them "predisposed" to the disease).

Marvin and Jim both told the doctor, "Sign me up.  I want to particiapte."  Since then, the other brother and sister (there were six children in the family), Buddy's children and grandchildren, and lots of the nieces and nephews also have expressed an interest in participating in the study.

The doctor said Buddy and Walt's situation wasn't unusual because it was hereditary; however, it was extremely unusual that these two would be diagnosed within  about a month of each other.

But, then Marvin's family has this hereditary thing going anyway.  Another of Marvin's brothers, Ron, was on PD for four months before he got a cadaveric kidney transplant (Nov. of 1994).  Four months later, Marvin started on dialysis.  There you go ... two brothers with the same disease (ESRD), diagnosed within months of each other.  By the way, Ron's transplant just celebrated his 14th anniversary -- still going strong and going great.  It was a perfect match (6/6) from New York -- we live in North Carolina.  Ron is very, very lucky.  Of course, Marvin (dialysis for most of the last 14 years -- live donor transplant for three years in the middle) also says that he's lucky.

The visitation for Buddy is this afternoon, and his funeral is tomorrow.  The next two days will be difficult.

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2009, 04:06:32 AM »

My deepest condolences to all of you Petey.  I'll be thinking of you often in the days to come.  :grouphug;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2009, 05:18:41 AM »

:'( Marsha, I am so sorry to read this post. We will be thinking and praying for you and Marvin's family that you find peace and strength in each other. God Bless you all.  :cuddle;
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 02:05:20 PM by willieandwinnie » Logged

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2009, 01:57:39 PM »

Sending you BIG :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

The Wife

« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2009, 05:52:45 PM »

:grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »