I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 04:35:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Travel
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Travel  (Read 19469 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2006, 09:13:02 PM »

My hubby looked at me like I was cazy.  I guess it is a no, here too. AWWW!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2006, 09:52:39 AM »

Anyone travel to exotic interesting places? Or just different places.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 10:03:26 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2006, 03:31:19 PM »

Check out the Bill Peckham dude.  He's been all over the place on hemo.  You should be able to google him up pretty easily.
Mom3

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2006, 05:49:51 PM »

My son has traveled to No Va and had his hemo treatments there. No bad experiences. To the contrary--he found a couple of the clinics to be very friendly and nice. He had to plan a few weeks in advance through his social worker. He was really nervous about it, afraid they'd infiltrate him or something...

By the way Angie I'd be afraid of showing up at just any ER expecting to be dialyzed. You might be treated as a potassium crisis and give kaolate or whatever that awful stuff is!!! (Maybe if it was really your day--as an enema!)

Mom 3 (mother of hemo pt and a pkd pt myself)

Sickness is a hindrance to the body, but not to the will, unless the will consent.
Epictetus
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2006, 03:02:32 PM »

Check out the Bill Peckham dude.  He's been all over the place on hemo.  You should be able to google him up pretty easily.
Bill Peckham even has his OWN website! ;)

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
sandman

« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2006, 03:15:33 PM »

Isn't Bill Peckham a members of these boards?  Maybe he would have some info to share here with everyone concerning how to arrange for travel outside of your country?
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2006, 04:48:01 PM »

I did travel, but only rarely, while on hemodialysis.  As a Canadian, I was covered for foreign dialysis expenses by the Canadian government, but only at the set rate of CDN $360 per treatment, which was always lower than what I had to pay abroad.

However, I found all the bureaucracy involved in faxing medical records and getting special testing done to comply with various dialysis centers, as well as all the trouble involved in finding foreign units prepared to take me when I wanted, and then in complying with the special practices and rules of each new unit where I was treated, to be just too onerous.  I eventually preferred to stay home rather than put up with all the hassles involved in dialysis travel.

To cite just one example, I was invited to participate in an academic conference in Cambridge, England, and after two months of trying to arrange for dialysis treatments near enough to the conference center and at the right time period, I had to settle for dialysis at a unit 60 miles away from the conference in London.  The unit only offered diallysis from 10 AM to 5 PM, so that treatment schedule meant I had to miss every second day of the week-long conference, to which I had to travel, repeatedly, at night after dialysis.  The entire result was exhausting and only half what I needed, and the treatment cost me double the actual cost.

Whenever I have tried to arrange dialysis in the United States, I have always encountered centers which said, "We'll put you down on our waiting list and we'll call you when a spot opens up."  No one seemed to understand that I could not arrange for travel and a hotel on a day's notice, and that the conferences I was planning to attend were not likely to be postponed until a free spot opened up for me at the dialysis center!
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2006, 07:11:20 PM »

Isn't Bill Peckham a members of these boards?  Maybe he would have some info to share here with everyone concerning how to arrange for travel outside of your country?
No but he is a member of D&T City.  I think you may have seen his name there.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 07:13:30 PM by angieskidney » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2006, 09:27:56 PM »

Patients can even take a cruise with dialysis onboard.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2006, 07:56:22 AM »

...and it costs a bloody fortune.  A short 3 day cruise is within limits without dialysis and a 4 day is possible if you are really careful again without dialysis.  I tried the 4 day once and wouldin't really recommend it.  My limits were pushed to about the the max and by the 4th day it wasn't very enjoyable.  Then again if money is no object...
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2006, 09:35:44 AM »

Yes, it can get expensive.  You would have to pay for the dialysis treatments onboard--Medicare does not cover them.  So beyond the cost of the cruise, you would pay about $525.00 per treatment=$1,575 for a seven-day cruise.  Although some secondary insurance plans may cover 80% of the treatment cost.

Here's an interesting travel article:
http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-healthy2jul02,1,7361911.column?coll=la-travel-headlines
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 09:44:37 AM by Zach » Logged

I make films.

Fighter

« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2006, 11:19:41 AM »

I've only travelled for 2 1/2 day weekends at a time - London, Dublin, Vienna and Paris*2.

All of these were great, really got my mind off dialysis. I even felt normal for a while, although obviously not very long. I might try a week-long trip this year if I'm still on dialysis in the spring/summer.

My country is so small that if you take a couple of steps in any direction you're abroad!
susie q

« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2006, 02:26:47 PM »

I've just booked our third trip to Punta Cana Dominican Republic ... heading out Feb.3  :clap;
Very nice private hospital there offers hemo.  They have 6 machines but both years so far I was the only pt.  Neph stays in the unit the entire time..  great people.  :2thumbsup;
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2006, 09:42:49 PM »

Sounds really nice!

I make films.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »