I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 04:35:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Travel
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Travel  (Read 19470 times)
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2006, 09:11:07 PM »

Ya, in my own city only the ONE hospital does dialysis. The other 3 or 4 do NOT.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2006, 09:44:20 PM »

Ya, in my own city only the ONE hospital does dialysis. The other 3 or 4 do NOT.

I would guess that all hospital ERs have at least one dialysis machine of sorts, but maybe not the most advanced model.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Panda_9

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2006, 04:08:48 AM »

Are you serious Zach? LOL The staff at the ER here hardly even know anything about renal failure let alone dialysis! They usually have to get one of the renal doctors down to sort things out when I go in, unless its something like high K that they can sort out themselves.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2006, 05:32:47 AM »

There are no dialysis machines at any of the other hospitals .. and Amber is right .. they no nothing about kidney disease. They don't need to so why would they? Only the one hospital gets any patients that need dialysis. My city is small so the ambulance drivers know where to take all dialysis patients.

But I worry about travelling to bigger cities .. if they would know where to take me in an emergency.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2006, 07:18:27 AM »

There are no dialysis machines at any of the other hospitals .. and Amber is right .. they no nothing about kidney disease. They don't need to so why would they? Only the one hospital gets any patients that need dialysis. My city is small so the ambulance drivers know where to take all dialysis patients.

But I worry about travelling to bigger cities .. if they would know where to take me in an emergency.

My original point, exactly.

As for ERs and dialysis ... they would most likely always need to notify the nephrologist on call.
Also, I was referring to the ERs in the US.    :o
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 07:20:13 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2006, 08:22:40 AM »

As for ERs and dialysis ... they would most likely always need to notify the nephrologist on call.

So was I ... I am planning on visiting PA :P

Sorry I didn't specify .. I mean all over North Amercia. I don't know how things are in the States, true, but I want to know. I have a lot of worries. My main worry IS  about travelling to the States and needing to do dialysis there.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 08:24:58 AM by angieskidney » Logged

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2006, 08:28:01 AM »

Sorry I didn't specify .. I mean all over North Amercia. I don't know how things are in the States, true, but I want to know. I have a lot of worries. My main worry IS  about travelling to the States and needing to do dialysis there.

Do what I do ... have credit card, will travel!      >:D

I make films.

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2006, 08:29:54 AM »

Sorry I didn't specify .. I mean all over North America. I don't know how things are in the States, true, but I want to know. I have a lot of worries. My main worry IS  about travelling to the States and needing to do dialysis there.

Do what I do ... have credit cared, will travel!      >:D

A credit card?? Tell that to the Bankruptcy people who made me cut them up when I had to give up my 9 year job because I couldn't do 12-hr shifts on dialysis  :-[

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2006, 08:35:57 AM »

Before traveling out of Canada you would need to arrange for dialysis in the U.S.  Perhaps the dialysis unit you use or your Canadian health authorities could advise you on how to arrange this.  While you might show up at an ER and be dialyzed if you were near death I wouldn't count on it.  I posted elsewhere about an early trip to Hawaii I made a few months after starting treatment.  After being there a few days I really needed treatment so I went to a facility run by a branch of my HMO there.  They basically told me no dice, pack up and go home for treatment which is what I had to do.
sandman

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2006, 02:30:05 PM »

Sorry I didn't specify .. I mean all over North America. I don't know how things are in the States, true, but I want to know. I have a lot of worries. My main worry IS  about travelling to the States and needing to do dialysis there.

Do what I do ... have credit cared, will travel!      >:D

A credit card?? Tell that to the Bankruptcy people who made me cut them up when I had to give up my 9 year job because I couldn't do 12-hr shifts on dialysis  :-[

I have a credit card.  And a very good one I might add.  I'm not suggesting to bring on the full brunt of your medical expenses but I can handle an assisted transaction for a little while.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 05:09:35 PM by sandmansa » Logged
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2006, 05:58:39 PM »

*sniff sniff*  is that a credit card a smell?? a good one at that?? ooooh, havent seen one of them in years,  HEYYYYYY SANDMAAAAAN ;)  ::)  ::)   lol, just kidding Angie ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2006, 06:23:24 PM »

*sniff sniff*  is that a credit card a smell?? a good one at that?? ooooh, havent seen one of them in years,  HEYYYYYY SANDMAAAAAN ;)  ::)  ::)   lol, just kidding Angie ;)

;D Hey Jeff! Can you bring Goofynina with me when I come to PA? She is fun and I like her  ;D .. of course this will have to be on your credit card ;) ;) ;)

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
sandman

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2006, 06:59:57 PM »

;D Hey Jeff! Can you bring Goofynina with me when I come to PA? She is fun and I like her  ;D .. of course this will have to be on your credit card ;) ;) ;)

Oh boy, I had to open my big mouth.  ::) ;D  What does goofynina's husband feel about this?
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2006, 07:07:13 PM »

Hang on there a second!   If Goofynina gets to go on Sandmansa's card I want to go too. I can party!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2006, 07:38:55 PM »

Hang on there a second!   If Goofynina gets to go on Sandmansa's card I want to go too. I can party!
Ya!! Kitkatz too!! Wheeee!!!  ;D

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
sandman

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2006, 07:40:27 PM »

Ya!! Kitkatz too!! Wheeee!!!  ;D

:o Now wait a second here, what am I gonna get for all this?  :-\
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2006, 07:41:23 PM »

Now promise me Sandmansa is going to pay for it all on his great credit cards.  I can fly out and we will party. I have never been to Canada or Pennsylvania!  Ohhh hoo!  Get the partie on!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2006, 07:42:20 PM »

We will give you a hard time! (Now do NOT take that dirty) (Wash your mind out with soap some of you!)

lifenotonthelist.com

sandman

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2006, 07:49:56 PM »

Now promise me Sandmansa is going to pay for it all on his great credit cards.

No promises. 

We will give you a hard time! (Now do NOT take that dirty) (Wash your mind out with soap some of you!)

I get a hard time from everyone already.  How is that your going to give me more grief going to convince me?  :-\
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2006, 07:51:32 PM »

You're gonna have a house full of rowdy women.  Hope you can handle it.  ;)

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
sandman

« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2006, 08:00:40 PM »

You're gonna have a house full of rowdy women.  Hope you can handle it.  ;)

GREAT!  Just what every young, healthy man who lives alone dreams about.  :P  ::)
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2006, 08:09:27 PM »

Kitkatz...you can go no problem.  Kaiser will reimburse you for the cost of treatments even out of the country.  When I went to Germany I had to pony up some serious dollars to pay the unit there but eventually the check from Kaiser was in the mail.  Bon Voyage.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2006, 08:40:24 PM »

*tsk* awwww maaaaan *scuffs foot*  hubby says NO!!!  Can you believe that?  Sooooo, i'll just take the money thank you ;)   But thanks for the invitation, would've, could've, should've been a blast.....................(shutty EpoMAN) ::)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
allison

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2006, 06:03:33 AM »

When traveling within the United States, here's a way of finding a Unit.

http://www.dialysisunits.com/

my favorite website for finding units is www.dialysisfinder.com. i like the search features better, because you can search not just by city & state, but for any dialysis unit within a (for instance) 10-20 mile radius of any given city. it seems to have the most comprehensive list. plus it gives you a map to see where each of the units are!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 06:07:22 AM by allison » Logged
sandman

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2006, 06:17:51 PM »

Oh, I think Angie and I came across this site a few months ago.  It's quite handy for quickly finding dialysis centers but for some reason, it didn't and still doesn't find them all in my city.  I think a found almost 20 more units in my area with just random searching through web sites like davita and fresenius.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »