I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 04:34:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Travel
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Travel  (Read 19467 times)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« on: August 18, 2006, 09:44:42 AM »

I was just wondering who here has traveled and had hemodialysis at other centers.
What kind of experiences did you have?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 09:59:24 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
SpeedFleX

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 09:49:15 AM »

I've dialyzed in

Germany
USA
Spain
Ibiza
Fuerteventura
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 09:51:03 AM »

Cool!

In the past I would travel with my own set of fistula needles.  I wonder if I could do it today with all the security.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 09:55:10 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 12:19:09 PM »

Ah Las Vegas, Hawaii, and Germany.  It is all pretty standard stuff.  For Germany I had to carry my own EPO and take care of the injections...good training for a later insulin junkie.
Dr. Evil

...dialysis IS the miracle...

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 03:46:17 PM »

You can even take a cruise on dialysis (www.dialysisatsea.com) .
Medicare doesn't pay for it, so it will cost some $

Solo Private Practice Nephrologist, Board Certified in Nephrology and Internal Medicine
Somewhere in the USA
"I am not really sure how the kidneys work, but I sure know what to do when they don't!"
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 03:59:56 PM »

I can't speak from experience, but the NxStage site (nxstage.com) has  patients stories about them traveling with their machines.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 04:12:27 PM »

In the old days, there was a group from the University of Utah which ran "Dialysis in Wonderland" where patients would raft down the Colorado River and dialyze on shore.

I think NxStage will have a positive affect on patients traveling in the future ... maybe even down the Colorado River.     :o

PS: You can read more about "Dialysis in Wonderland" and the "Father of Dialysis" in a post I started in General Discussions:  The Father of Dialysis
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 05:27:38 PM by Zach » Logged

I make films.

kevno

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 05:08:58 PM »

Never Traveled on Haemo, been on haemo for six  years now had a lot of trouble with it can only use lines. But on CAPD which I was on for over 12 years, travelled all over the world. From Belgium to a boat down the Rhine valley, to Italy to the then Yugoslavia. To Florida USA, to Wagga Wagga New South Wales in Oz. To meet my Auntie where I stopped for 3 months. Until I stopped draining out properly. Then ended up with ESP. Which put a stop to CAPD. Then had no option but to go on Haemo >:(

When I was a child on haemo in the 70's we used to go on holiday each year, but it was only in the UK. Plus only for one week.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 05:11:11 PM by kevno » Logged

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 05:12:33 PM »

When traveling within the United States, here's a way of finding a Unit.

http://www.dialysisunits.com/
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 05:34:15 PM by Zach » Logged

I make films.

livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 05:21:19 PM »

You can take a cruise on hemo without dialysis but it has to be very short.  3 days are doable and 4 is pushing it.
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 07:43:37 PM »

Joe has made 2 work trips of a week or longer to Ohio and dialyzed there.  From what I've heard, those units are even nicer than his regular ones, and man, they load you up with the goodies when you get there - he got about a lifetime supply of squeezie balls, travel mugs, brochures and so on.

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 09:02:38 PM »

I have been told that if I would like a holiday  I would have to book at least 1 year in advance , and that would only be in the capital cities here in Australia. The unit that i will be going to ( i want to learn home hemo but thats another story) is about 40 km away and it already has a waiting list and the closest other one is 3 and half hours away.They have a holiday chair but tell me that is always taken up with a local patient, just not enough money to run more.
 So it looks like i will be staying close to home for awhile...

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 09:41:36 PM »

Here's another web site that has international listings of dialysis units.
It lacks specific information on many of the the units, but it's a start.     ;)

http://www.globaldialysis.com/countries.asp

I make films.

Panda_9

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 03:46:40 AM »

You can take a cruise on hemo without dialysis but it has to be very short.  3 days are doable and 4 is pushing it.

I wouldnt even bother risking that  :o

Charee, where are you wanting to go on holiday?
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 05:21:14 AM »

Do any Canadian Hemo patients travel outside of Canada? That is what I want to know about since I am Canadian on Hemo and want to travel to PA, USA but have no coverage :( (except for O.H.I.P., Provincial Health Coverage).

I used to travel all the time while on CCPD, but even since I have started Hemo I have not gone anywhere outside of my city and feel sooooo restricted!! :(

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
susie q

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 05:24:49 AM »

Hi Angie..  I am pretty sure that if you travel outside Canada you will have to pay for your treatments out of pocket but Health and Welfare Canada will re-imburse you some.. if not all.
I travel to the Dominican Republic and I pay 300 usd for each treatment and when I get home I submit the original receipt and I get 210 cdn back in about 6 weeks.. not too bad.  8)
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 06:05:50 AM »

Hi Angie..  I am pretty sure that if you travel outside Canada you will have to pay for your treatments out of pocket but Health and Welfare Canada will re-imburse you some.. if not all.
I travel to the Dominican Republic and I pay 300 usd for each treatment and when I get home I submit the original receipt and I get 210 cdn back in about 6 weeks.. not too bad.  8)
Thank you :) Yes I have heard that I might get a little from the Provincial Health Coverage but it is reimbursement which means I have to come up with money I don't have. :( .. So it looks like I won't be travelling anymore ..  :'(

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 06:17:18 AM »

Angie, if you want to travel here to the USA, you could just go to the hospitals emergency room and get dialysis there, so far as I know, they cannot refuse you treatment.Of course, you would still be billed, but maybe you can submit the bill to your current insurance there in Canada?

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2006, 07:10:09 AM »

Angie, if you want to travel here to the USA, you could just go to the hospitals emergency room and get dialysis there, so far as I know, they cannot refuse you treatment.Of course, you would still be billed, but maybe you can submit the bill to your current insurance there in Canada?
Maybe. I still have a lot to check out and right now am checking out this Ontario site.

I have found this info so far:

If you have a valid Ontario health card you are entitled to certain benefits when outside Canada; however, since coverage for out-of-country health care services is limited, you should purchase supplementary insurance.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 07:31:37 AM by angieskidney » Logged

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2006, 08:45:50 AM »

I found it hard to answer the poll, since I have two answers.  I do a lot of weekend travelling - to Puerto Rico, to Antigua, to St. Maarten, to the United States Virgin Islands, to Barbados.
But I have only spent one week away from this territory since I started dialysis.  I spent a week in Barbados in December and dialysed three times at a private clinic (although Barbados is my native country, I am considered a visitor and so had to pay).  It cost US$300 per session, so the week cost me $900.  I was pleasantly surprised when my insurance refunded the entire amount!
For the first time in 9 years, I did not travel for my summer holidays :( - the hassle and the necessary advance planning just turned me off. :'( :'( :'(  I will just enjoy my weekends in other islands.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2006, 09:24:25 AM »

I have found it quite easy to travel outside of my area.  Sometimes you will have to travel some distance to get dialysis. When I went to Lake Tahoe it was an hour to Reno to the dialysis unit, down   the mountain and through a couple of towns.  We would stop at the chocolate Factory on the way back to Lake Tahoe. Yummy. Pismo Beach was great, I had to go to Santa Maria for dialysis, a half hour drive.   Hawaii is almost impossible to book into.  I went there on a family crisis reason when my Dad died.  There is year back up waiting list to go there.  Been to Palm Springs.  The dialysis unit I used was two blocks from the condo we were in.
I ususally check out the dialysis units through a website (just google dialysis centers) and bring the info the the social worker to make the arrangments for me.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2006, 03:44:18 PM »

Charee, where are you wanting to go on holiday?

We wanted to go to Birdsville, Alice springs making our way in land to Mackay (QLD) but its all pretty isolated out that way great country but it looks like i will have to  wait til i get my transplant !!!

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
sandman

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2006, 05:09:45 PM »

Angie, if you want to travel here to the USA, you could just go to the hospitals emergency room and get dialysis there, so far as I know, they cannot refuse you treatment.

That's absolutely correct Angie.  You can visit a US hospital emergency room and get dialysis because emergency health care can not be refused in the states.  But as Joe Paul also said, they will be very happy to hand you the bill afterward.  ::)

Only problem with that is, emergency room treatments could cost more then standard out patient routines.
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2006, 09:00:27 PM »

Only problem with that is, emergency room treatments could cost more then standard out patient routines.

The other problem is that you don't know what kind of needles they use, what kind of machine they use or what kind of filter they use.  The ER is the last place you want to dialyize.

Not all hospitals have the same knowledge or experience about dialysis.     :o

I make films.

sandman

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2006, 09:09:22 PM »

The other problem is that you don't know what kind of needles they use, what kind of machine they use or what kind of filter they use.  The ER is the last place you want to dialyize.

Not all hospitals have the same knowledge or experience about dialysis.     :o

Good point Zach.  Not all the hospitals in my area even have a dialysis unit so how could they even handle a dialysis patient?  There is a hospital right near me, literally a 5 minute walk from my house, which does have 2 big Fresenius units on site.  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »