I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 02:39:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  How do you handle it?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do you handle it?  (Read 4774 times)
Bette

« on: November 19, 2006, 08:18:41 AM »

I am going back to work full time in a couple of weeks and I am so worried.  I still feel very tired after my Hemo sessions, but I feel great on the other days.  I am going to move to ccpd, soon, but I'm not sure when that will start.  I am still waiting for may catheter to heal. 

I would like to take more time off,  but I cannot afford to lose my insurance coverage.  My job will not give me a part-time position, so it's full time or disability. >:(

Luckily I have a desk job so I won't have to do anything physical.  What were your experiences like?  Am I worrying for nothing?
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 08:43:58 AM »

I haven't been back to a regular job, never will probably, but my wife works me to death around the house. I just got done re-doing our living room, new ceiling tiles and a complete paint job. Also, in the kitchen, I put down new floor tile as well. My body seems to handle the work load pretty well, though I admit, I do tire faster then before dialysis. I am also new to dialysis, just passed the 6 month mark, maybe as I age things will be harder to do. I am also tired after my treatment, but I fight to keep going. I pray things will work out for you, all we can do is try.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 10:01:21 AM »

I work full time as a sixth grade teacher.  I find it can be wearing, but it is possible to work and do dialysis.  I just never got the thought in my head I was allowed to give up and quit.  You can do it.  Just be sure to remember to sit when you need to sit and take good care of yourself.  And look at the thread on working and dialysis here in the discussion area.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 06:11:02 PM »

I am going back to work full time in a couple of weeks and I am so worried.  I still feel very tired after my Hemo sessions, but I feel great on the other days.  I am going to move to ccpd, soon, but I'm not sure when that will start.  I am still waiting for may catheter to heal. 

I would like to take more time off,  but I cannot afford to lose my insurance coverage.  My job will not give me a part-time position, so it's full time or disability. >:(

Luckily I have a desk job so I won't have to do anything physical.  What were your experiences like?  Am I worrying for nothing?

I haven't gone back to work since 2004, yet..but, I am a single mom of a 4 1/2 yrold and a 5 1/2 yr old.. they keep me very busy. I noticed you said you will be starting CCPD soon... for me, when i was on hemo, I felt worn out, weak, tired, icky, yucky... and any other bad word you can think of... this is one of the reasons I switched to pd... and for me, I notcied big changes right away. When starting PD I started feeling tons better, less tired and less weak... so much more energy and less diet restrictions probably made me happier also... so hopefully you get to start PD soon...  :2thumbsup;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 03:17:39 AM »

Full time? I don't think I could on inclinic hemo but on PD it was great .. as long as you can do nocturnal PD. But CAPD 4 times a day there was no way I could do full time.

It would suck if you had to go on disability and lose insurance. I mean what do they expect you to do?

The government wonders how people with health problems end up with no health insurance or end up in debt. They should try even one week in our shoes!

But I loved CCPD. I was free every day and would hook up and the machine would do it all at night! I really wish I could still be doing that! But I was also told that even CAPD 4 times a day could be done easily if you have an office job!!  :thumbup;
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 03:20:03 AM by angieskidney » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 07:08:59 AM »

We should move this discussion over to:

Do you work?
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=1308.0

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 07:39:19 AM »

The Topic Is For An Individual Problem/Person So It Is Correct To Stay Here - Rerun - Moderator

Bette, all you can do is keep trying.  They can't fire you because of the Disabilities Act.  I think you will feel better and have more energy on PD.  I worked full-time on PD.  When I had to return to Hemo after my transplant failed I just couldn't handle full-time and hemo.  I was also 20 years older. 

For me it was either quit my job or quit dialysis I was not going to do both.  It has worked out for me (so far) to stay at home.  The money is tight, but maybe when I get moved I can finally get my Bounce House Business going.

Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 09:49:35 AM »

Joe has been working full time while on hemo since January, when he started dialysis.  He is lucky in that his company seems to be very accomodating and understanding, although I don't know how much of that is just them being nice, or them trying to cover their asses so no lawsuit comes their way.  He was able to get his hours changed so that he is scheduled to work 11 or 12 to 8pm (he has the early shift on dialysis).  I won't lie to you, it's been hard for him, and it's getting harder.  We will be checking into disability options after the first of the year for him.  Between exhaustion from dialysis stuff and restless legs not letting him get much sleep, plus his other health problems (complications from diabetes mainly) he just doesn't have time to go to all the dr.'s appointments that he really needs to.  I am not sure how him going on disability will affect his insurance. 

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Bette

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 01:32:20 PM »

Thanks for the replies. 

Since I am married with a child I am really sensitive to how my health will affect my family, especially my daughter.  She's only six, so she really needs Mom to be able to take care of her.  I would rather not work and be a great wife and mother than work and be lousy at home.   

I worked when I was on PD before, but I still lived with my parents and had no other responsibilities other than taking care of myself, so my situation now is really different.
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 01:49:27 PM »

Could you try to get a new part time job at a place that offers benefits?  I know BJ's warehouse certain positions get benefits after 90 days.  If you could find the right job, it might be worth it to pay COBRA for the 90 days or so until you get benefits set up.

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 03:17:45 AM »

Hi Bette,

I have been on hemo for 4 months now.  I went back to work full - time for a supermarket.  It was hard working all day then going to the unit for dialysis 3x a week after work.  I have since realised that maybe I am taking on too much and have started to work 4 days a week instead of  5 with the option of working an extra day if I feel up to it.  It's entirely your choice but your health has to come first.  I tried to act as if nothing had changed but in the long run that was harming my health more.  I have had to accept the hard way that I am not as physically capable of working the way I used to.  Fortunatley for me, my employer has been really understanding.  On the other side of the coin though, cos they are a national company they wouldn`t want any bad press about how they treat employees on dialysis so I`m in a bit of a win win situation.

SCOTLAND NO.1
AlasdairUK

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 05:33:33 AM »

I work full time and do not have a problem with it. If you are feeling washed out after haemo then you may want to try reducing your UF rate. In short take less fluid off after each session. If you UF gains are small then you may be slightly dry and increases your dry weight would help. You need to explore different options to make yourself feel well after dialysis.

When I come off dialysis I normally feel full of energy and struggle to go to sleep when I get home.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 09:49:05 AM »

I have tried dialysis in the mornings and in the evenings.  I am an evening dialysis person.  I like to go home, have my dinner, watch TV, and go to bed afterwards.  Morning dialysis just wears me out.  Maybe you need to find a time that is good for you.  Some people swear that they like morning dialysis and will not change their times.  I work and have dialysis scheduled after work. Yes I am tired, and some nights it takes everything I have to drive home after dialysis.  But you gotta do what you gotta do!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 04:00:14 PM »

I have tried dialysis in the mornings and in the evenings.  I am an evening dialysis person.  I like to go home, have my dinner, watch TV, and go to bed afterwards.  Morning dialysis just wears me out.  Maybe you need to find a time that is good for you.  Some people swear that they like morning dialysis and will not change their times.  I work and have dialysis scheduled after work. Yes I am tired, and some nights it takes everything I have to drive home after dialysis.  But you gotta do what you gotta do!
Ya I am an evening person too :)

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 06:54:43 PM »

Originally when I started hemo, I went to work following early morning dialysis (5am - 10 am), but then I would get a bit "punchy" by 3pm.  The evening shift works best for me, too.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2006, 07:06:07 PM »

I have two jobs....work 6.5 hours a day and teach 2 hours at night. Usually I'm very tired and I drag myself to work....but I'm trying not to let dialysis win...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »