I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:19:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Working while on Dialysis
| | |-+  Do you work?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you work?  (Read 62677 times)
Sara
Elite Member

« on: September 08, 2006, 11:57:41 AM »

Somebody (stauffenberg, maybe?) posted that only about 30% of dialysis patients are able to work.  I'm curious to see if that is true for IHD members.

EDITED:Moved to work section-kitkatz,Moderator
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 08:58:21 AM by kitkatz » Logged

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 12:01:32 PM »

I voted yes, because Joe is able to work full-time at this point.

Joe died July 18, 2007
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 12:06:04 PM »

I could work OK, if it wasn't for the broken vertebra's. My trade was auto mechanic, and the constant bending, and being on the feet most of the time, I just cant hack it no more. I do work on my own car, and help others when they need it, but even part time is out of the question.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Ginger

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 02:16:37 PM »

I work in a hospital with orthopedic patients. Since I do PD, I no longer work with known infectious patients.
mark j

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 03:38:59 PM »

I deliver bread and cake to grocery stores and restaurants and work 12-13 hr days.  So far so good, I get tired, but its my own business so if I don't do it it wont get done.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 07:38:30 PM »

I applied for disability after working for 20 years with USDA.  My last day was July 7, 2006.  I did fine with the transplant working, but dialysis just made me too tired to do a "good" job and If I can't do a good job I don't want to be there.  I may rent out Bounce Houses (Jumpie houses and the kids call them) when I move to Spokane.  If I ever sell this frick'en house!   :P

vandie

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 07:44:53 PM »

I applied for disability after working for 20 years with USDA.  My last day was July 7, 2006.  I did fine with the transplant working, but dialysis just made me too tired to do a "good" job and If I can't do a good job I don't want to be there.  I may rent out Bounce Houses (Jumpie houses and the kids call them) when I move to Spokane.  If I ever sell this frick'en house!   :P

Those bounce houses are a huge hit.  I see them every weekend where I live.  Seems like there would be money to be made.

Life is the journey, not the destination.

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 08:49:20 PM »

I work full time.  It's a small documentary production company.  About 10 hours on non-dialysis days, and about seven on dialysis days.

I also travel for work, but now mostly between dialysis treatments.

The most difficult was flying from the east coast to Los Angeles.  Flight was early am on Sunday ... worked Sunday afternoon and all day Monday ... then flew back on the red-eye on Monday night.

I think they have it right in Spain ... mid afternoon break.      :beer1;
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 08:22:20 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 09:24:01 PM »

You all know I work full time as a special education teacher.  It is very busy. I am tired when I get home. Dialysis days are long beginning at 5:50 a.m. with the alarm and not ending until 8pm when I get home finally. :beer1;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 09:51:33 PM »

Somebody (stauffenberg, maybe?) posted that only about 30% of dialysis patients are able to work.  I'm curious to see if that is true for IHD members.

The median age of the incident population of ESRD has reached 64.8 years1.
I think that means a least 50 percent of dialysis patients are already at or near retirement.

Lets get real ... we can work full time, part time or volunteer a few hours a week.  Only you can make that determination.  Don't let anyone say otherwise! 
Remember, don't set low expectations for yourself just because someone sees the glass as half empty.    :beer1;

12005 USRDS Annual Data Report
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 08:49:20 AM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 11:27:38 PM »

I used to work 30 hrs/wk once I went on PD (I was working 60 hrs/wk before I was on PD) but since I started HD I have had to start slow because of how sick I was last summer. I am only working 4 hrs/wk right now .. soon should be 6 :P Woohoo!  ::) I am starting slow. Should be up to 15 hrs eventually if my BP stops dropping :(
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 11:31:04 PM by angieskidney » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 12:26:03 PM »

I work full-time in a supermarket.  It`s only on the the checkouts but hopefully soon, I may get promoted. :clap;

SCOTLAND NO.1
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 01:23:44 PM »

Since most CKD/dialysis patients who have insurance, have it through their employer, why don't the medical professionals, especially the dialysis centers, do more to help patients feel well enough to work?

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 02:01:03 PM »

I work about 22 hrs a wk in retail.
Stand up all the time and am completely worn out at the end of my work shift.
But I think it is good for me to keep working and have the people connection
and keep active and try to live a normal life as possible for as long as possible.
I've only told an asst. mgr. about my kidney problems. 

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 06:32:26 AM »

Since most CKD/dialysis patients who have insurance, have it through their employer, why don't the medical professionals, especially the dialysis centers, do more to help patients feel well enough to work?

Very good question.  Joe's been dealing with RLS (like so many others here) and therefore not getting much sleep and that definitely affects his work, how many times he calls out, how well he performs while there, etc.  Sometimes I feel like he's not taken seriously about his RLS.

Joe died July 18, 2007
SpeedFleX

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 06:45:25 AM »

I just started my apprenticeship and I work about 45 h's a week. I find I could work longer if I needed to!
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 07:35:26 AM »

Very good question.  Joe's been dealing with RLS (like so many others here) and therefore not getting much sleep and that definitely affects his work, how many times he calls out, how well he performs while there, etc.  Sometimes I feel like he's not taken seriously about his RLS.

Mike's neph did not seem to care that much but I kept complaining on every visit.  Mike was ready to just accept the cramps, numbness, tingling as inevitable.  But I kept bitching.  (I'd bet the neph secretly cheers when Mike goes to an appointment without me ;D)  But it did finally pay off -- Mike is having very good results with Lyrica.  Since he is sleeping better he is not nearly as tired during the day.  One of the side effects is drowsiness so maybe it's acting like a "sleeping pill" -- but the neuropathy and cramps are gone.  He has been taking it about a month and so far no bad side effects.  On the advice of the neph he only took a half of a capsule the first four nights.  The second week he was taking it he forgot to take it two nights in a row and said he could really tell the difference and has not forgotten it again since!

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
redheadedangel

Smiling for you!

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2006, 09:07:30 AM »

Although I am on disability, I am a writer. Presently I am doing a series of books on maxamizing health, overccoming disease and fighting the effects of aging. I also have a series of health brochures that I distribute to Daycare centers. But don't tell the IRS.  :thumbdown;  ;D I'm a non profit organization :thumbup; :angel; Sassy
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2006, 01:34:21 PM »

Ya right! The insurance through MY employee denied me  >:( !!

Said something about "pre-existing medical conditions"...

Although I am on disability, I am a writer. Presently I am doing a series of books on maxamizing health, overccoming disease and fighting the effects of aging. I also have a series of health brochures that I distribute to Daycare centers. But don't tell the IRS.  :thumbdown;  ;D I'm a non profit organization :thumbup; :angel; Sassy
Cool! Anything published I might recognize? :thumbup;
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 01:37:26 PM by angieskidney » Logged

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
AlasdairUK

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2006, 02:58:06 PM »

I work full time Monday to Friday and then go for dialysis in the evening. There is no reason for me not to work as I'm well enough. I think it helps me keep going as dialysis slots into my life rather than what I'm living for if I was not working.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
kevno

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2006, 04:18:38 PM »

Worked nearly all the time on CAPD. That was until I go EPS (Encapsulating Peritoneal Scierosis) Since on Haemo. No I have not worked. Had the after affect of EPS twice two big operations, had a heart attack, then the problem with my leg. 18years back on dialysis 12years worked on CAPD, 6 years of boring not working, but non-stop Bloody Hospitals. The work I did I had to be around seven days a week. So my answer is yes and no.

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
15yearstolong

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2006, 04:43:47 PM »

Hi There,

I have always done something, at the moment I am working for a shipping company doing admin. But next week I will be starting a physics paper since I am trying to get into the Anesthetic Technician training programme through the hospital  :D

redheadedangel

Smiling for you!

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2006, 04:47:49 PM »

Angie, "Life Line 4 Your Health: A Journey". can be found on Amazon. However, if you wish to have a copy of a few I have written, no need to pay will be pleased to send them via internet email. to anyone interested. Just let me know. Sassy
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2006, 06:38:20 AM »

Angie, "Life Line 4 Your Health: A Journey". can be found on Amazon. However, if you wish to have a copy of a few I have written, no need to pay will be pleased to send them via internet email. to anyone interested. Just let me know. Sassy
I love anything I don't have to pay for  :2thumbsup; (and I am curious as to what you have written so sure! Send it my way! As for the book on Amazon .. they don't take paypal and I am short of cash. I will look for it as Chapters (local bookstore) some time in the future though :)   :thx;

Oh cool! Chapters has it!!!  :clap;

(I put a link to it on my forums as well)  :thumbup;
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 06:47:00 AM by angieskidney » Logged

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
jdat

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2006, 08:00:29 AM »

Well between not feeling well to work, not being allowed by the doctors, and not being able to find a job .... I'll just paraphrase and say I'm not working  :( I feel worthless  :-\
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »