I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:29:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Don't "F" with my chair!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Don't "F" with my chair!  (Read 41999 times)
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2006, 10:00:18 PM »

Today I grabbed 2 cups of ice prior to hookup ;)

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Panda_9

« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2006, 02:55:06 AM »

I saw a new chair that was on trial for the new unit and they looked very uncomfortable. The seat part was that eggshell matress stuff and there were two wing type things on the headrest, which for me would be uncomfortable as when I fall asleep I put my head to the side. I think those chairs would make that uncomfortable. Not that Ive really been sleeping on the machine lately. Too busy checking BP.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2006, 09:41:03 PM »

what is the most comfortable chair for hemo dialysis?

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2006, 09:51:48 PM »

what is the most comfortable chair for hemo dialysis?

They're at a small dialysis center in the République et Canton de Genève.  Oui. It was the best!!!
 :beer1;
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 08:12:14 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2006, 10:29:12 PM »

I sat in a fairly comfy "new" chair on Friday.  It was pretty comfy, I was surprised. It looked like it had been kicked to a curb a few times.  That was probably why is was comfy! I had a place for my butt and it did not slide out like the other chairs.  If the chairs would just lay back and not slide out your butt.  If the new chairs they buy for the unit suck, I am going to lose my mind totally.  (And you all thought I had lost it already!)  Just wait.  They say new chairs and machines in our unit by December.  Holy crap!  There has not been a changeover in machines since I have been there.  They were changing over to new machines when I started at this unit eight years ago. They went from really old machines, to slightly newer ones.  We are supposed to be getting the "gee whiz bang" new machines.  I am not holding my breath!  We got new chairs around four years ago, not as comfy as the old recliners we had.  I adjusted to them. 

I really will lose my mind if the new chairs are not comfortable.
I will tie the director of the place down to a chair with paper tape and clamps and ask them if they want to sit there for four hours at a time!!! >:D

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2006, 02:55:02 PM »

I really will lose my mind if the new chairs are not comfortable.
I will tie the director of the place down to a chair with paper tape and clamps and ask them if they want to sit there for four hours at a time!!! >:D

lol you go girl!!  :clap; :2thumbsup;

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
tubes

Miss you so much Susie. Will always <3 you!

« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2006, 02:45:51 PM »

here is a pic of our new and old chair.
blue=old
brownish red=new

The new chair has been making its way around the unit since last week.  Wednesday was my day to sit in it.  >:(  I was not a happy camper.  At first it was uncomfortable...then I asked if the head went down any further.  Head went down, feet went up, it was so much nicer in that position.  But I got very hot sitting in that chair.
Well I can Bitch all I want but thats the chair we are getting.  :(

"To be happy is the choice I wish to make in spite of the circumstances that are strewn in my path."

1996 - started incenter hemo
a few months later, started PD
2005 - started incenter hemo
AGAIN
  - on transplant list as of August 7, 2009.
2011/June - 15 years on "D"
Transplant - Tuesday October 18th 2011
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2006, 05:00:53 PM »

wow your new chair looks like ours. But ours I hate because they slide your butt out and are so hard to get back into a sitting position at the end of your run without cramping. How do you find them? Yours (both old and new) are different than the ones at my unit, but looking at  your old chair, damn that looks comfy lol

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
tubes

« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2006, 05:46:17 PM »

What do u mean angie,
How do you find them?

That is a pic of my unit, if thats what u mean.

"To be happy is the choice I wish to make in spite of the circumstances that are strewn in my path."

AGAIN
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2006, 07:00:51 PM »

If I want to slide my butt out in a chair and be super uncomfortable for four hours, I just go to my dialysis center three days a week!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2006, 08:46:56 PM »

What do u mean angie,
How do you find them?

I mean how COMFORTABLE did you find them.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2006, 09:30:53 PM »

The blue=old looks a lot more comfy.  Is it a Lazy Boy?

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2006, 07:27:02 AM »

Just speaking as someone who doesn't have to sit in those, that old blue chair looks pretty nice, and that new red one looks like a torture device!  Who the heck designs these things?  I completely agree that the directors and nurses should have to spend 4-5 hours in these chairs before forcing them on the patients.

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2006, 12:54:17 PM »

Just speaking as someone who doesn't have to sit in those, that old blue chair looks pretty nice, and that new red one looks like a torture device!  Who the heck designs these things?  I completely agree that the directors and nurses should have to spend 4-5 hours in these chairs before forcing them on the patients.
Exactly my point!  :clap;

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2006, 03:25:16 PM »

Dialysis chairs are made for medical advantage, not necessarily comfort.

While the Lazy boy is more comfortable it has several disadvantages.

The biggest one being it is does not let patients be put into the Trendelenberg position when needed.
sandman

« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2006, 04:52:15 PM »

For those of us ( like me for example ) who don't know what the Trendelenburg's position is, here is what that means.

http://www.whonamedit.com/synd.cfm/967.html
tubes

« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2006, 06:00:32 PM »

What do u mean angie,
How do you find them?

I mean how COMFORTABLE did you find them.
Sorry angie, had a brain fart.  I didnt like it at first, but after my nurse reclined it all the way back it was bareable. 

The blue=old looks a lot more comfy. Is it a Lazy Boy?
It reclines.  Not sure if it is an actual "Lazy Boy" brand.

These chairs do have the "medical advantage" as Bigsky was saying.  For the nurses, the chairs are higher up so the nurses dont have to bend so far over.  The blue chairs are not sanitary, I was told.  The red chairs, the side of the chair opens up on both side for easier cleaning and removing a patient that needs taken off quickly.
One thing I like about the chair is the pillow.

AGAIN
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2006, 07:50:36 AM »

Ya the pillow is unique! It looks like mine but mine doesn't have the pillow! lol Mine when it reclines slides the butt out .. which I find at the end of dialysis when your run is done and you want to sit up, the only way to sit up since you butt is out and you are on your back .. is to either use your stomach muscles and cramp OR to use the side tables as leverage which inturn releases the lock and the tables fall down and so does all your stuff :(

Just my take on my chair ;) lol I'll try to remember to take a pic as well!

Anyone else posting pics of their chairs?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 07:52:24 AM by angieskidney » Logged

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Panda_9

« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2006, 03:34:22 AM »

The pillow on that new chair looks awful. They always seem to make the pillow part for tall people so you end up with a kinked neck. Our remote controlled chairs have the pillow bit and for me to be comfy I have to recline the chair. We also have chairs similar to the blue one and they are comfy, however if you need to lay flat the nurses have to push the back of the chair down for you, and because Im short, it slowly creeps back up. The other chairs you can recline the foot and the head seperately, and you can raise or lower the chair. Only thing I dont like about them is they are really hard on your bum.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #119 on: December 29, 2006, 03:27:10 PM »

We had a chair that was broken and if you reclined in the chair it would slowly recline you all of the way into a lying down position and then you would get stuck in that one position.  They had to put a trashcan behind it to get it to stay up and not flatten you all the way down.
They claim we are getting a brand new redo of the entire center.  They plan to close down parts of it each time until it is all finished.  I am not holding my breath.  I will believe it when I see it.  We have all new Fresenius machines now.  One of the brand new machines has a touch screen that is already a "pound on it" screen.  It was interesting withing the tech try to get it to accept commands while he is putting me on it the other day.  Sheez!  They say they will have new chairs and new TVs for us soon.

lifenotonthelist.com

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #120 on: December 29, 2006, 03:29:18 PM »

We had a chair that was broken and if you reclined in the chair it would slowly recline you all of the way into a lying down position and then you would get stuck in that one position.  They had to put a trashcan behind it to get it to stay up and not flatten you all the way down.
They claim we are getting a brand new redo of the entire center.  They plan to close down parts of it each time until it is all finished.  I am not holding my breath.  I will believe it when I see it.  We have all new Fresenius machines now.  One of the brand new machines has a touch screen that is already a "pound on it" screen.  It was interesting withing the tech try to get it to accept commands while he is putting me on it the other day.  Sheez!  They say they will have new chairs and new TVs for us soon.

Well I hope you do get the updates.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #121 on: December 29, 2006, 04:40:21 PM »

Well I hope you do get the updates.

My prediction is that you have your transplant before all these changes take place ;)  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #122 on: December 29, 2006, 06:21:39 PM »

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

lifenotonthelist.com

Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2007, 09:21:20 AM »

Hmmm, I'm surprised I missed this thread. At my old centre we had those ugly medical green chairs. At first they were absolutely awful to sit in, but after a while my bum would just go numb and I wouldn't feel the pain of the awful chairs. Now I just sit on my bed when I dialyze, and if I get uncomfortable, I just get up and walk around my room a bit and stretch my legs. I'm probably one of the most "mobile" dialysis patients because I regularly get up and do things around the room while I'm on the machine (I put extra tape around my lines to make sure my needles don't come out).

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2007, 09:25:11 PM »

I changed dialysis centers recently. Nice staff where I am now. Friendly people. No cable TV!  I need cable TV, oh well they do have a DVD player that can play movies for all of us.  I guess I am going to be up to date on movies.

lifenotonthelist.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »