I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 05:29:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I need to have my parathyroid removed in the next few weeks.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I need to have my parathyroid removed in the next few weeks.  (Read 6582 times)
NVRWKN

« on: April 24, 2008, 07:11:05 PM »

Hope everybody is doing well! Here we go again. Back in for another surgery. :sir ken;  Any words of wisdom? I see Rolando just had one maybe i can find out what to expect. Just another hurdle. Take care all !!! Never Weaken!!! :boxing;

Never Weaken
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 02:43:36 AM »

Hope all goes well.   :grouphug;
spacezombie

Melissa: ESRD since 1992, transplant June 10, 2008

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 02:55:13 AM »

I just had mine out in February and I am doing fine. The calcium IV hurt my veins a little bit going in but they gave me pain medicine for it. The actual incision didn't hurt hardly at all for me. I think my incision may be larger than normal (tell me if I'm wrong) because they had a little trouble finding my parathyroids. But it is healing really well! It looks even better than the photo now. Afterwards I felt a little more achy than usual but now I feel great! Good luck to you and let us know how it goes.

I have Alport's Syndrome. My kidneys failed when I was 14 and I was on PD for five years before receiving a kidney transplant from my mother. That kidney failed in 2004 and I've been back on PD ever since. I am undergoing treatment for my high antibodies at Cedars-Sinai medical center. I had a kidney transplant on June 10, 2008. My boyfriend was the donor.
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 07:30:13 AM »

Hope all goes well NVRWKN, hope you continue to do well spacezombie  :thumbup;
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 07:44:12 AM »

Just wondering if those scheduled for parathyroid removal or those that have had it done havent tried a combination of sensipar and hectoral to lower PTH levels?
spacezombie

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 01:44:36 PM »

Just wondering if those scheduled for parathyroid removal or those that have had it done havent tried a combination of sensipar and hectoral to lower PTH levels?

I was on 90mg of Sensipar twice a day before my surgery, but my PTH was still over 2000 (although, it was on its way down from over 3000). I did not try hectoral, however. My PTH levels had been out of control for many years though.

I have Alport's Syndrome. My kidneys failed when I was 14 and I was on PD for five years before receiving a kidney transplant from my mother. That kidney failed in 2004 and I've been back on PD ever since. I am undergoing treatment for my high antibodies at Cedars-Sinai medical center. I had a kidney transplant on June 10, 2008. My boyfriend was the donor.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 02:04:13 PM »

I was on 90mg of Sensipar twice a day before my surgery, but my PTH was still over 2000 (although, it was on its way down from over 3000). I did not try hectoral, however. My PTH levels had been out of control for many years though.

Wonder why they didnt try the max dose of sensipar suggested (180mg)  in combination with hectoral to lower before resorting to surgery.
spacezombie

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 02:15:59 PM »

Wonder why they didnt try the max dose of sensipar suggested (180mg)  in combination with hectoral to lower before resorting to surgery.

I think because I was already throwing up on 90mg, twice a day... maybe? I'm short and I don't weigh much so perhaps that dosage is too much for me. I don't know why I wasn't given anything else to try to lower it. I was happy with the surgery though. The pain in my bones is completely gone now, only a couple of months after surgery.

thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 04:29:21 PM »

i had one removed in 1999, before kidney failure. it wasn't a big deal. the scar is small and hardly noticeable. my throat was a bit sore and a bit swollen when i woke up, but they gave me a shot for the swelling and i didn't really have any other problems. they cut the amount of calcium i was taking a bit too much and i had a reaction, however that was after i was home and easily taken care of. if your system doesn't have enough calcium your body will buzz, something like a foot that has gone to sleep.  if that happens call doctor immediately, it can be handled by taken extra calcium, but you may have to go to er.  i wouldn't expect that you will have any problems. good luck, we'll be thinking of you, let us know how it goes.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 07:02:51 PM »

I was on Sensipar, and it wasn't working, so they switched me to IV Hectorol.  Now, they've decided to put me back on Sensipar as well, so see if it will work better in combination.  We'll see.  My co-pay has gone up since they started me on the Hectorol.  The Sensipar will now cost me $100 a month.  The Hectorol is free for me, since I get it from the center.  I haven't got the money for the Sensipar, so they have samples for the first two weeks. Sad but true - even if it works, I can't afford it!  The surgery wouldn't cost me anything either.  The Hectorol is working, although slowly.  Maybe two weeks of the combination will give it a bump back to where it's supposed to be, and then I can continue with the Hectorol to maintain it - now wouldn't that be nice!

NVRWKN - I hope the surgery goes well for you. 

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

rookiegirl

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 07:21:42 PM »

I started taking (5x/wk) Hectorol this week because my PTH levels in 500's.

What happens to your body if they remove your PTH?

Don't we need our PTH?

What symptoms do you go through that let's you know you will need your PTH removed?

This is some scary stuff.  Please advise.

Thanks,
RG

2000-Diagnosed IGA Nephropathy
2002-1st biopsy (complications)
2004-2nd biopsy
10/03/07-Tenckhoff Catheter Placement
10/22/07-Started Peritoneal Dialysis
03/2008-Transplant team meeting
04/2008-Transplant workup
05/2008-Active Transplant list
3/20/09-Cadaver Kidney Transplant
4/07/09-Tenckhoff Catheter removed
4/20/09-New kidney biopsy
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 12:19:11 PM »

OH NO,,,, me too, I go to the throat doc Thursday :-\
NVRWKN

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 03:15:22 PM »

I go Thursday too!!!     :boxing; :Kit n Stik; :sir ken;

Never Weaken
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 07:39:20 PM »

Well, between the punching, whacking and mooning the doc'll never get near your throat to have a look. :rofl; :rofl;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
NVRWKN

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 07:51:26 PM »

I go to the surgeon tomorrow about upcoming surgery. Just can't wait to see what they say. It's always a surprise and adventure.    :banghead;

Never Weaken
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 04:05:30 AM »

I hope it all works out.  Just another bump in the road. I guess. Let us know what the surgeon has to say. Keep your spirits high.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 04:30:49 AM »

I get my throat slit too...... :'(
I don't want to but my numbers are as high as the lottery
Sluff words of comfort please
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 02:01:15 PM »

I have less than a week.......... :( :'( >:( :beer1;(I wish)
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 08:52:53 PM »

Now I'm afeared...(my dictionary)....when the surgeon's nurse called today she said the radiologist found a nodule on my thyroid...is this something that goes along with this crazy ESRD??? 
G Ma

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 09:28:05 PM »

Here is my story with my parathyroidcetomy:

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=2322.msg43012#msg43012

It's on pages 9-10.

I also had to have a thyroid removed because they found cancer, and they also had to go in twice. But as you read, it still went good.
 :grouphug;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
NVRWKN

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 06:05:49 AM »

My spirits are always high. I don't let this crap get me down.  :boxing;  He told me I have the bone structure of a 60 yr old. That sucks! I said great I was going bull riding this weekend.LOL! But not really. I go in for the surgery the 27th of May. So like i said here we go again. Just one more scar to be asked questions about. Hey at least it create conversation. Life's Good!  Never Weaken!

Never Weaken
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 05:22:18 PM »

my operation is thursday    :puke; :( :o ??? :P :-\ :'(    mixed emotions none happy
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 03:53:08 PM »

I was nervous but then they did spring it on me at the last minute. Not enough time to work up to a real spaz attack.  Relax. You are going to sleep through it. You will wake up with a majorly sore throat.  That was the worst part for me.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
NVRWKN

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 09:42:31 PM »

Thanks all. I'm not nervous at all. After all the surgeries you kinda get used to them.  I'm to stubborn for anything to happen to me in there. See I'm kinda strange. I look forward to the last 10 seconds before I go out. It's my fun time. Short but fun. Twirl good luck!  NEVER WEAKEN!!!!          :keefer:

Never Weaken
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 03:23:16 AM »

good luck to you also         we are in this together         looking forward to the drugs
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »