I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 05:28:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I need to have my parathyroid removed in the next few weeks.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I need to have my parathyroid removed in the next few weeks.  (Read 6581 times)
Treasure

Dialysis Schmalysis!

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 06:17:36 PM »

oh, my! so many high PTH cases!

my pth was 4000 for a while, in spite of the sensipar.  i had a really serious allergic reaction to the IV hectoral...so they kept upping the sensipar. and that made me throw up....all the time...  so i just stopped taking it for awhile.

my pth is now between 200-400... so i've started taking the sensipar again. my pth will, as usual, climb up again.

i have asked, countless times, if they would just take my parathyroids out, but they always refuse. even when i have been going in for other kinds of surgery, i have asked...almost begged...but, they just won't do it.

*sniffle* i had hoped that when i had my transplant, that that would settle things...but it didn't. i know one day i'm going to work around all this kidney business, but i don't know that the pth problem will ever me solved. :(

You may worship me anytime you like... go ahead...bow down.  Now! Ok, I'm hungry, go get the grapes.  What? They're not chilled. You're useless! Ok...I'll forgive you...this time hehehe
G

Let's go steal some pic-nic baskets Boo-Boo

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2008, 05:26:08 PM »

Do your joints hurt? Before they took my parathyroid I could hardly move or walk. I was on a regular pain regimen. After the surgery the relief was almost instantaneous! Within a couple days I was up and around with virtually no joint pain. Aaahhh, relief!

No kidneys
No spleen
No parathyroid
On list as of 10/07
Still fun
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2008, 06:36:53 PM »

Some people have joint pain for other reasons as well.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
G

Let's go steal some pic-nic baskets Boo-Boo

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2008, 09:37:35 PM »

True

No kidneys
No spleen
No parathyroid
On list as of 10/07
Still fun
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2008, 11:34:19 AM »

Hey NVRWKN - haven't seen you post in awhile, are you still scheduled for Tuesday?
Hope all goes well!  :waving;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MiSSis

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2008, 12:44:02 PM »

I've had 4 parathyroidectomies because the little buggers keep coming back.  Each time I was told they removed 3 complete nodes, leaving only 1 or a part of 1 because they don't want to remove all of them.  Some of the hormone the parathyroids secrete is still necessary in order to maintain bone.  My first 3 surgeries all took place in the late 80's and early 90's and maybe it wasn't common practice back then but with my last parathyoidectomy, the surgeon took the remaining piece and auto-transplanted it into my left forearm.  Apparently these little guys don't care where they live but can do their job from anywhere.  I sure wish I'd know about this auto-transplanting procedure earlier, like with my first surgery.  Then they wouldn't have had to keep going back into my throat each time.  My last surgery was in 2003 and I was 49 by then.  It was much more difficult to recover from that one than any of the earlier ones.  If your doctor hasn't mentioned the auto-transplant option, you might want to bring it up.  If there's ever a next time when they feel they need to readjust the size of my remaining parathyroid, now it can be done under a local anesthetic, thank heavens.

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will not see the shadows."  Helen Keller
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2008, 01:00:32 PM »

Hope everything goes well. Will be thinkin of you.  :waving;
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »