I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 12:28:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Cnn presents : Body parts
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cnn presents : Body parts  (Read 4358 times)
jdat

« on: July 08, 2006, 11:29:23 AM »

This show should be airing in the US this weekend  Saturday and Sunday 8pm and 11pm ET

I just watched it here and it was quite a shock.

The show talks about live donor transplants, some being inside the family circle, others being from perfect strangers.
While I didn't appreciate the fact most of it dealt with the negative and endangering aspects for the donors ( not receiving any follow up from the hospitals after being donors or sometimes even dying or catching very serious diseases ) it also brought to mind that it is very scary the way things are done State side.
 Could this explain why some of you don't want to go the transplant route over there?

At the same time it also brought to light that really we have no idea how much the live donors are being put at risk, there are no real studies or means of tracking these people, it's all up in the air what happens to them and their health over the years.

Anyhow I recommend you watch it.

If you are interested in seeing clips from the show go here:
http://search.cnn.com/pages/search.jsp?query=body%20parts
The clips are on the right side
coravh

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 01:49:48 PM »

I had my transplant in Minneapolis (Fairview) and they provided a donor package to my cousin who donated. They had several very interesting studies in there. One was a follow up of approximately 1000 women who had donated. They found that as far as having another child after donation, there were no differences between women who had donated and the general population. There was the same incidence of twins, birth defects, miscarriages, ability to conceive, and live births.

There was also an interesting study about the general happiness of donors. In general, people who donate are happier in their lives than the general population.

Don't get me wrong. It is a major surgery. But most transplant centers are responsible and follow up a great deal with their donors to make sure that everything is OK. And, donors are not accepted if they are not in the best of health. I know that in some places here in Canada they are so politically correct they do everything in their power to convince donors not to do it. Just so that there isn't the appearance of impropriety.

My cousin is doing much better now than before the surgery. She has lost weight (some before, more after), is less depressed, and feels much more confident in herself and her value as a person.

jdat

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 02:37:32 PM »

I don't doubt that things can also go very well .... I guess I'm just angry that they mainly showed the negative side of it.

I feel like writing a letter to put them back in their seat.  >:D
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 08:27:26 PM »

you think that is negative you should see some of the news articles I have read..

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
jdat

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 06:29:32 PM »

you think that is negative you should see some of the news articles I have read..

Not sure what all that is about but Dialysis Joe seems like a nice chap looking for an attention horse  ;D
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 09:57:29 PM »

Not sure what all that is about but Dialysis Joe seems like a nice chap looking for an attention horse  ;D
Naw he is a good guy who is a nurse who is just concerned that live donors are not being told everything they need to know. That does make sense.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »