I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 01:18:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Loss of memory?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Loss of memory?  (Read 21591 times)
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2006, 07:27:28 PM »

OMG,  I HAVE THE SAME ONE, LOL,  THE ONE WITH A LITTLE TIP, lol,  The only problem i discovered with that is that the pills start tasting like the plastic or shall i say "rubber" that its made from,  i am hoping that its like that cuz its still new. 

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2006, 07:36:43 PM »

OMG,  I HAVE THE SAME ONE, LOL,  THE ONE WITH A LITTLE TIP, lol,  The only problem i discovered with that is that the pills start tasting like the plastic or shall i say "rubber" that its made from,  i am hoping that its like that cuz its still new. 
lol ya exactly!!! Except that I go through Tums so fast (that is what is in my little keychain from Renagel) that it doesn't have a chance to taste like plastic/rubber :P

At least with the keychain I actually REMEMBER to take my Phosphate Binders but it is a pain in the ass trying to find a pocket big enough to stick them in when it is so hot out you don't feel like bringing a jacket or a purse with you to keep them in.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 07:38:48 PM by angieskidney » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
sandman

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2006, 07:41:04 PM »

lol ya exactly!!! Except that I go through Tums so fast (that is what is in my little keychain from Renagel) that it doesn't have a chance to taste like plastic/rubber :P

Tums will taste like plastic or rubber if not used in a timely fashion?  I didn't know that.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2006, 07:47:25 PM »

are tums used as a binder? i've heard people say that before, that they eat tums like crazy.  I take Fosrenol and well, that taste like sweet chalk or chewing on a sweet n low rock, lol,  nasty as it can be, blecch,  i would prefer to take the renagels.

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2006, 09:22:43 PM »

are tums used as a binder? i've heard people say that before, that they eat tums like crazy.  I take Fosrenol and well, that taste like sweet chalk or chewing on a sweet n low rock, lol,  nasty as it can be, blecch,  i would prefer to take the renagels.
Yes it is. I was supposed to take something else (I think Renegel) but I have had such troubles with Tonsilitis all my life that since they never removed them I have holes in them and have developed a fear of swallowing huge pills. Oh way .. another fear to add to the fear thread ;)  :-[

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
sandman

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2006, 10:36:35 PM »

You know,  my sister, my mother, my aunt, my brother, my friends,  all healthy,  all have the same problem,  i think it is just called:  aging, either that or its in the water,  ;)

Could be do to aging or it could also be a perfectly normal side effect to multi-tasking.  Like for example.  Your leaving to go to the store and your trying to remember your keys but just then, you remember that your wallet is in your other pants and you forget your keys.  So forgetfulness is not solely caused by kidney disease but I'm not ruling out that kidney disease could make remembering things worse.  Life threatening diseases give people so much more to think about then what normally healthy people think about.  It's just something to take in consideration.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2006, 12:00:04 AM »

You know,  my sister, my mother, my aunt, my brother, my friends,  all healthy,  all have the same problem,  i think it is just called:  aging, either that or its in the water,  ;)

Could be do to aging or it could also be a perfectly normal side effect to multi-tasking.  Like for example.  Your leaving to go to the store and your trying to remember your keys but just then, you remember that your wallet is in your other pants and you forget your keys.  So forgetfulness is not solely caused by kidney disease but I'm not ruling out that kidney disease could make remembering things worse.  Life threatening diseases give people so much more to think about then what normally healthy people think about.  It's just something to take in consideration.
hmm.. true

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
alaskagirl

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2006, 04:56:55 AM »

I have had more memory problems since being on dialysis.  The other day I left the clinic and it actually took me a couple of minutes to remember how to start the car - scarey!  My favorite Tee-shirt shows a picture of an apple with the caption, "This is your head" then a picture of a jar of applesauce with the caption, "This is your head on dialysis"  I guess if they have a tee-shirt about it this must be a common problem.  The shirt is a big hit at the dialysis clinic - everyone wants one.  ;D
deej

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2006, 11:50:55 AM »

I very often call my dog by my daughter´s name and vice versa. Anyway, they´ve both learned to come by either name. I thought is was age related. Nice to know that we are all forgetfull together. Epoman, do you see why we forget to use spell check  :-X.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave
safely in a well preserved body, but rather
to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting
"...holy shit...what a ride!"
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2006, 12:23:12 PM »

No problems before, during, or after.
fireguy

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2006, 05:07:25 PM »

my memory is the shits. Have to write things down if more than 2 things to remember. Would forget head if it wasn't fasten on.As for Tums, the ultimate appetizer
Panda_9

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2006, 05:50:47 PM »

I write everything on a calendar that I have hanging at the entrance to the kitchen. On days where theres an appointment or something I have to attend, I colour it in with highlighters so I cant miss it. If I glance at that month and see the colours, I know theres something I have to try remember. Even if its something minor like doing washing or whatever, I write it on there, or I will definitely forget. If I have to get up early and I think ill forget to set the alarm when I go to bed, I set it when I remember, instead of when I go to bed.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2006, 06:00:00 PM »

Do you guys know about Turbonote?  it is a programme that puts sticky notes on your desktop.  that is how I remember to take my Lipitor at night..  I also have it on my daughter's side of the computer, so that whoever is on remembers to tell me to take my medication before I go to bed.
Do a Google search for Turbonote and choose one of the websites to download it from.  There is a free version and a paying one, so make your choice.  One more help for us with bad memories. ;D

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
sandman

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2006, 06:50:13 PM »

I just want to say that even though the majority of everyone here maybe on dialysis and that even though dialysis treatments could contribute to additional memory loss, it is not uncommon for anyone to forget things from time to time, regardless if they are on dialysis or not.  I know what some of you maybe thinking.  He is not on dialysis, what the hell does he know?  Well, truth of the matter is, I don't know everything but I can tell you from personal experience that it is perfectly normal for anyone to run into random bouts of memory loss, even when your healthy or feel good.  Sometimes I find myself forgeting lots of things.  Like for example, my home phone number, my age, my keys, someones name, money that I left in my other pants or if I remembered to lock the door when I just locked it not even 5 seconds ago.

I can only imagine if I was attached to a blood sucking machine, 3 times a week.  I would forget who I was.  I don't envy any of you.
MelissaJean

it's better to find peace than understanding

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2006, 08:21:25 PM »

Do you guys know about Turbonote?  it is a programme that puts sticky notes on your desktop.  that is how I remember to take my Lipitor at night..  I also have it on my daughter's side of the computer, so that whoever is on remembers to tell me to take my medication before I go to bed.
Do a Google search for Turbonote and choose one of the websites to download it from.  There is a free version and a paying one, so make your choice.  One more help for us with bad memories. ;D

Thanks for the information!  I use Google Desktop which has a place for notes, but this is great.  My nurse told me forgetfulness was due to my anemia.  It has really scared me the amount of information I have forgotten.  I now write everything down... I carry a notepad in my purse, one on the visor in my car, and also use my cell phone to type down notes.  I am glad I'm not alone.

~Melissa~

"just run with me through rows of speeding cars"

- Born with Cystic Fibrosis
- Received double lung transplant 11/9/2001
- Complications from transplant:  Diabetes, Kidney Failure
- Started dialysis 6/6/06
Panda_9

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2006, 10:15:40 PM »

I have the post it software but I have found I rarely look at the actual desktop and was forgetting things, so I use a calendar now, with more sucess.
Sandmansa, of course everyone has memory loss, it would be abnormal if we didnt!! Bad memory and poor concentration are increased as a result of renal failure, so put that on top of any pre-existing memory loss and poor ability to concentrate. I know I am definitely alot worse since being on dialysis for a while. I forget things my partner has told me only seconds ago, and I cant concentrate on anything for very long. Prior to renal failure, I was at uni full time, and definitely did not have these things Im experiencing now.
sandman

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2006, 11:33:12 PM »

Sandmansa, of course everyone has memory loss, it would be abnormal if we didnt!! Bad memory and poor concentration are increased as a result of renal failure, so put that on top of any pre-existing memory loss and poor ability to concentrate.

Oh, yeah.  I am aware of this.  It's just that some of you make it sound like your memory loss is caused souly by the dialysis treatments. Am I mistaken?  Or am I just mis-interpreting?
Panda_9

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2006, 12:31:06 AM »

Well considering before my transplant failed I was quite "with it". As soon as my kidney function dropped off HELLO MEMORY LOSS. So yes I am blaming it on kidney failure. Obviously I wasnt perfect before that, no one is. Im just saying it is significantly worse now. Just ask my partner, he deals with me every day lol
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2006, 02:07:26 AM »

Ya, Sandman is still learning but doesn't really get the full picture as only someone who goes through it can.

I have tried explaining countless times and just have come to the realization that "healthy people" just can't understand and never will.

But I definitely blame dialysis as just before dialysis I was teaching myself web design and got advanced standing in the course in College and helped the teacher teach the class. Yes, I am a geek who learns code fast. It has always come easy for me.

But now after I have been on dialysis I can't teach myself how to write up a simple web page without reference pages and books and I can't teach myself a damned thing. I know I am not normally this "dumb" and I know it is not all because of my dyslexia or old age (come on! I am ONLY 32!!). I can't even concentrate on reading books anymore!! I used to LOVE to get sucked into a good book!

So yes, I blame dialysis! I forget everything! Even though I use the Calendar method I still forgot my very important appointment with the dermatologist that I had booked 9 months in advance, because I was getting ready to move to my new apartment. The appointment was set up in Dec 2005 and was for June 27th and I had to move on July 4th... Sure with all the commotion anyone could have forgotten that appointment .. but normally I would have not forgotten something that was so hard to book in the first place! I was sooo upset! I just said screw it! It would take another 7 months and what if I forgot it again? I find that all appointments have to be made soon or else I just won't remember them no matter what steps I take!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Panda_9

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2006, 04:56:05 AM »

I feel exactly the same Angie!!! At times I feel so totally dumb!
sandman

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2006, 07:55:45 PM »

Well damn!  Angie and I took one of those worthless online IQ tests a few months ago and she ranked close to what I got then and she can't concentrate hardly at all?  Now I really feel stupid.  :(
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2006, 02:46:05 AM »

Well damn!  Angie and I took one of those worthless online IQ tests a few months ago and she ranked close to what I got then and she can't concentrate hardly at all?  Now I really feel stupid.  :(

I used to be smarter at one time .. before you met me :P

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
sandman

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2006, 05:35:19 PM »

:o   What was your IQ BEFORE you met me?
Bear

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2006, 06:16:27 PM »

Well...er...what was I gonna say?   ::) ;)

waves...Bear
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2006, 10:45:40 PM »

:o   What was your IQ BEFORE you met me?

uhh ... I forget ...  :-[ :-\ (just like Bear said ;)  )

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »