I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 06:29:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 463202 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #275 on: March 23, 2007, 01:01:04 PM »

I think ignorance is catching!   :bump; :bump; :bump;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #276 on: March 23, 2007, 07:54:24 PM »

I think ignorance is catching!   :bump; :bump; :bump;

And some times it's us kidney patients, as well.
 :beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
ILOVEFLUID

« Reply #277 on: March 23, 2007, 10:52:44 PM »

True, true, true

The patient next to me one day, commented on the bottle of Diet Coke, sitting on my table (while in all honesty was my fiances).  He said, you know, you aren't allowed to have Diet Coke on the renal diet.  Meanwhile, I have nicknamed him Pizzaman because every shift he comes up with two huge pieces of pizza from the cafeteria.  I said, "Thanks for your concern, but I am pretty sure we shouldn't have pizza either."

Each day at a time, one drink at a time (or two, or three...etc)
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #278 on: March 24, 2007, 07:30:14 AM »

actually the pizza is worse.  1 slice of pizza has 198 mg of phos and 171 of potassium.  12oz (standard can) of cola 36 phos and 7.2 potassium.  i really think the problem is the cola is empty calories, nothing usefull for anyone, my neph goes ballistic if he even thinks i'm drinking coke, but then i'm not supposed to eat pizza either. too much calcium. (slightly off topic, but oh well,)

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #279 on: March 24, 2007, 11:54:32 AM »

In Canada, where I live, the federal government requires the provinces to provide all 'medically necessary' services free of charge if they want to receive federal funding for healthcare.  But at the provincial level, where the influence of right-wing forces is especially strong because the governments are smaller and less powerful than the federal authority, there is a campaign to define more and more services as "not medically necessary" in order to privatize them.  Then the capitalists are happy, since they can't stand such a giant cash cow as the demand for healtcare to go unexploited as a source of their private profit, no matter how many patients would be denied any healthcare at all under a for-profit system.

While I was on dialysis, a nurse from Alberta, one of the most right-wing provinces which had defined away the largest number of services as "not medically necessary," said to me: "I think it's a good idea that patients in Alberta now have to pay for part of their healthcare costs, since that teaches them to take better care of their health."  Well, what would have been the use of charging us dialysis patients $20 per treatment?  Nothing anyone could do could save us from these treatments!  And most of us, myself included, could not have done anything to prevent our renal failure, no matter how high the cash incentive or how long in advance we had had the warning!  Even the typical doctor has to say to the patient: "You may feel fine now, but the tests show that in five years you'll be on dialysis."  If he can't do anything for any amount of money to prevent that, how can the patients?
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #280 on: March 25, 2007, 04:49:56 AM »

"I think it's a good idea that patients in Alberta now have to pay for part of their healthcare costs, since that teaches them to take better care of their health." 

This is so typical of someone that is healthy, I am 100% sure that that same person would not utter those words if she or a sibling or a child of hers needs dialysis, I am so freaking sick and tired of people that have no experience in what they speak get on the highest soapbox and make others listen to their crap

Kim  :-\

http://www.kimhoben.com
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #281 on: March 25, 2007, 09:46:16 AM »

While I was on dialysis, a nurse from Alberta, one of the most right-wing provinces which had defined away the largest number of services as "not medically necessary," said to me: "I think it's a good idea that patients in Alberta now have to pay for part of their healthcare costs, since that teaches them to take better care of their health."  Well, what would have been the use of charging us dialysis patients $20 per treatment?  Nothing anyone could do could save us from these treatments! 

Evidently the person cannot see the difference between those with chronic conditions that must be treated to live and those that people do to abuse the system, such as emergency room treatment without actually being an emergency.

ILOVEFLUID

« Reply #282 on: April 06, 2007, 05:53:33 AM »

My friends were trying to plan my wedding shower.  I explained to them that it would have to be on a Sunday as i have to travel 3 hrs to get there and i have dialysis on Saturday.  One of them could not get a babysitter on the Sunday and she actually said that i could just miss dialysis for a weekend as it would not kill me.  so she expects ,me to go from Thursday until Tuesday with no dialysis.  It may not kill me but I would be so miserable that I might have to kill her.   ;D

Razman

« Reply #283 on: April 06, 2007, 06:35:47 AM »

My friends were trying to plan my wedding shower. I explained to them that it would have to be on a Sunday as i have to travel 3 hrs to get there and i have dialysis on Saturday. One of them could not get a babysitter on the Sunday and she actually said that i could just miss dialysis for a weekend as it would not kill me. so she expects ,me to go from Thursday until Tuesday with no dialysis. It may not kill me but I would be so miserable that I might have to kill her. ;D

"My friends ......"    I think you may want to change that description or at least take one off the list.  She doesn't sound like a friend to me.  It's your shower and they should be thinking about YOU !!!
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #284 on: April 06, 2007, 06:12:10 PM »

My friends were trying to plan my wedding shower. I explained to them that it would have to be on a Sunday as i have to travel 3 hrs to get there and i have dialysis on Saturday. One of them could not get a babysitter on the Sunday and she actually said that i could just miss dialysis for a weekend as it would not kill me. so she expects ,me to go from Thursday until Tuesday with no dialysis. It may not kill me but I would be so miserable that I might have to kill her. ;D

I have a lot of friends that just dont undestand how dialysis works, and how important it is.......Ignorant ppl!!

I have had a few ignornant comments also... i got told it was "A shame that i was sick, and i was a waste" ... some ppl are so kind!! :thumbdown;
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #285 on: April 06, 2007, 07:23:30 PM »

"If you're on the list now, does that mean you still have to go to dialysis?"

I managed not to burst out laughing when I heard this, but it was an effort!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #286 on: April 06, 2007, 07:28:56 PM »

It just amazes me at some of the things you all have heard.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #287 on: April 07, 2007, 12:14:35 PM »

i overheard the dietitian telling a patients wife, "if he eats any cheese his phosphorus will never go down" i just kept walking, my ears rolled over and hid!

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #288 on: April 07, 2007, 12:22:48 PM »

i ran into a friend who, when i told i was still doing dialysis told me, "Why havent you gotten a transplant yet?  I heard that people die without a kidney"  Grrrrrrrrrrrrr, goes to show the ignorance of the uninformed  >:(

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
ILOVEFLUID

« Reply #289 on: April 07, 2007, 08:43:57 PM »

After i had my transplant,  my friends got together and threw me a party at out local pub.  Sorta a fundraiser/congratulations party.  A lot of the regulars were there and one of the woman actually said to me. " Oh, this party is for you, I thought you died, I am sure glad to see you still alive"  Why thank you so much for your kind words, you drunken slag!!!!!!!!!

Jill D.

« Reply #290 on: April 07, 2007, 09:22:08 PM »

I try to cut people some slack if their ignorant questions aren't rude or thoughtless, as I realize that if you or a loved one are not living with a particular disease you would have no clue about the details of treatments, syptoms, diet, etc.
HOWEVER.... since my transplant, I cannot believe how many people ask me if my "other" kidney still works OK. They are assuming that only one of my kidneys have failed. This is usually after I have stated that my sister donated one of her kidneys, and that you can live with one kidney, so if my "other" kidney was still working OK, why would I need hers?  ??? ??? ???

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #291 on: April 07, 2007, 09:22:18 PM »

i ran into a friend who, when i told i was still doing dialysis told me, "Why havent you gotten a transplant yet?  I heard that people die without a kidney"  Grrrrrrrrrrrrr, goes to show the ignorance of the uninformed  >:(

You can probably thank the National Kidney Foundation for that.  
The ends justify the means?   :-\

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #292 on: April 22, 2007, 10:01:35 PM »

"I did not know you were under stress."  a coworker.

Sheez, if they only knew.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
carson

« Reply #293 on: May 03, 2007, 05:42:13 AM »

My mom's a bit of a bimbo. Whenever I go to visit my parents she will ask me if I'd like something to drink. Sometimes I'll say yes and have a small tea with her. THEN she'll bring out the cheese and whole grain crackers, or ask me if I'd like a sandwich made with whole grain bread, butter, cheese and some nice salty deli turkey. She'll put out a bowl of peanuts to snack on (my mom's one of these luncheon ladies who does nothing but specialize in hospitality).
I'll kid with her and say, "what, are you in a hurry to get rid of me?"

I also work with a bimbo who can't believe that I don't drink anything. She'll say something like "you need to drink or you'll get dehydrated" or "well, if you don't drink, how do you pee?" or "what do you mean you have 3 kidneys?"

Yes, I also get the "nice tan, have you been away?" Ever notice it's only in my face? My hands and neck are pasty white?

And finally, I did get (and only one time) the old "when are we expecting the little one?". Well, I'm only 5'2", 48 kgs but I have a little dialysis belly. I'm so glad it was the village loudmouth who asked because I was able to say, "I'm not pregnant you twit, it's from my dialysis"... :clap;

I have to admit, though, I do enjoy being able to go for a nice flight or long road trip without a pee break!!

2009 infection treated with Vancomycin and had permacath replaced
2009 septic infection that wouldn't go away
2007 began Nocturnal Home Hemo with Permacath
1997 began Peritoneal Dialysis
1982 had cadaver transplant
1981 diagnosed with GN2 and began Peritoneal Dialysis
mdorn

« Reply #294 on: May 07, 2007, 09:40:48 PM »

I've been asked a few times: Did you get bitten by a shark? (My old graft is in a big loop and looks like a shark bite!)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #295 on: June 11, 2007, 01:06:30 AM »

Yesterday I ran into an acquaintance who had recently heard that Jenna finally got a transplant.
Her question was, "So does she still have to do dialysis?"
Uhhh no, they kicked her out and won't let her back for now!
 :urcrazy;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #296 on: June 11, 2007, 10:58:16 AM »

One of my techs is pregnant, and she's having a hard time of it.  She was talking to a couple of us about it the other day, and asked us "Do you know what it feels like to wake up every morning and you don't feel bad, but you just don't feel right either?"  The two of us listening both paused, grinned, and answered a resounding "YES" in unison.  She realized what she had said and who she had said it too, and then we all started to laugh.  ;D

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Krowbar

« Reply #297 on: June 11, 2007, 06:02:42 PM »

Besides my closest family and friends and my boss at work, nobody is aware of my condition.  I'm so glad I don't have to put up with such moronic blather. :D
George Jung

« Reply #298 on: June 11, 2007, 06:14:09 PM »

I don't know if this is ignorant, but a girl at work approached me today and asked if my kidneys are okay.  During a very brief conversation (if you can even call it that) she said to me that if something were ever to happen to her she would be interested in giving me one of her kidneys.  She was trying to converse onward and mentioned a friend of hers who is diabetic, and her commitment of one of her kidneys to him. 

I really didn't even want to talk about it, she came at me out of nowhere.  All I could say was that if you are interested to learn about donating I could print something off for you.  Her intentions were there but I suspect she hasn't a clue.
tweetykiss

« Reply #299 on: June 11, 2007, 08:05:23 PM »

I have a list here.....

1)  Just barely a week after my husband was released from the hospital after his aorta surgery (auto accident), who I thought was my best friend says "Oh we were just talking about it here that 'Mike and Anita have it made' 'Mike and Anita have it made' ".....Ok I almost lost my husband in a tragic accident and we have it made...eff her and the canoe she sailed on.......we are friends again though since many things got worked out.....but proir to we really had some verbal knockdowns and dragdowns and I have the emails to prove it...lol...

2)     I happen to be talking to one "friend" on the phone and she knows about my depression problem and she asks me smiling very sweetly "What are you doing this weekend?"  "Kim, I have a lot of errands to do", she said smiling very sweetly "Well you need to do something fun".......You stupid lady, I don't need that cr*polla from you.......she is the world's biggest idiot and she is too pollyanna for my tastes...sorry Charlie Lady.......

3)    When I was teaching and had to fill in one class, one of the kids stole my cell phone, then in the teacher's lounge I happen to mention it to one teacher who I thought was alright and she goes "Didn't your mother ever teach you to not to put your purse out in the open?", OK Lady, for all you know I could have been raised in an orphanage or pinballed around in foster homes not that it is any of your buzwa to even begin with........now she is suppose to know better than to talk about people's mothers since we have to teach the children not to do that....

Don't worry I will think of more.....
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 08:09:33 PM by tweetykiss » Logged

Husband started hemo dialysis on July 30, 2007
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »