I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 02:11:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 464338 times)
Desert Dancer

« Reply #1275 on: March 13, 2012, 09:15:19 AM »

I believe they're working on an I-Phone app that will do that. :bandance; :rofl;

Good lord! The developer who can come up with that will be a multi-gajillionaire!  :2thumbsup;

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1276 on: March 13, 2012, 02:33:01 PM »

Ive had people tell me, Hell I have even had a few people in my family say the same thing.  that i use my dialysis as an excuse, that im a hypochondriac..etc... People think because we dont look sick we arent.
Im about to say something semi mean so i want to first say that i would never ever wish this crap on anyone, ever. That being said..
My boyfriends ex gf wont leave him alone, and has tried to get under my skin a few times, saying some very mean things about me, and to me. mostly stupid things (she is young and dumb!) But she said she hopes i never get a kidney and die and hopes i get 'kidney raped' whatever that is... I was sooo frustrated for a split second i thought to myself, I really wish this brat could feel my pain for just one hour. Just one hour, thats all.
Is that mean? probably, but some people just dont get it. If they could walk a min in someone else shoes, maybe they would get off there high horse!

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1277 on: March 13, 2012, 02:40:29 PM »

what does your BF do when she says things like that? You don't really talk with people like that do you?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Brightsky69

« Reply #1278 on: March 14, 2012, 12:21:53 PM »

They are just jelious that they are not as tough as we are.  ;D

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1279 on: March 17, 2012, 05:55:34 PM »

I love the doc last week who walked into the room were I was waiting and announced" How is my only nocturnal patient doing?" Sigh. I am so special!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:04:42 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
bleija

« Reply #1280 on: March 18, 2012, 09:51:58 AM »

everytime i see my doc hes like, ur my easiest patient, he never has anything to complain at me for and i have the fewest meds, and hes about to let me stop another one... i dnt even remmebr the last time i was only taking 4 different meds,   :2thumbsup; :yahoo; :cheer:
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #1281 on: March 18, 2012, 10:30:41 AM »

Every time either DH or I see my neph, he alwayys remarks how strong I am because I do home hemo.  One day he even called me "pathologically nice".   WTF?  He never saw me ream out my in-center staff for their colossal screw-ups or misinformation.   :Kit n Stik;
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #1282 on: March 18, 2012, 11:26:16 AM »

Extended relatives who only see you at funerals (I've been to two in the last year) and all they say is, "WOW! You LOOK GREAT, I can't believe how GREAT you look" when I know damn well they are expecting to see a SICK  person talking to them.    ONE person in my family made me out to be a really, really sick looking person and because of my Mother in laws spreading around that I'm SO sick, family relatives expect the worst.    So what, I have kidneys that aren't working right, doesn't mean I'm "Sick"          ::)        :boxing;

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
MomoMcSleepy

My son Roddy McSleepy at 6 months! sry pic sidewz

« Reply #1283 on: April 21, 2012, 07:32:59 AM »

ignore duplicate
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:26:23 AM by MomoMcSleepy » Logged

35 years old, first dx w/  chronic renal insufficiency at  28, pre-dialysis

born with persistent cloaca--have you heard of it?  Probably not, that's ok.

lots of surgeries, solitary left kidney (congenital)

chronic uti's/pyelonephritis

AV fistula May 2012
Kidney Transplant from my husband Jan. 16, 2013
Howard the Duck
MomoMcSleepy

« Reply #1284 on: April 21, 2012, 07:50:10 AM »

ignore duplicate
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:26:48 AM by MomoMcSleepy » Logged

AV fistula May 2012
Howard the Duck
MomoMcSleepy

« Reply #1285 on: April 23, 2012, 07:59:48 AM »

ignore duplicate
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:27:20 AM by MomoMcSleepy » Logged

AV fistula May 2012
Howard the Duck
MomoMcSleepy

« Reply #1286 on: April 23, 2012, 10:49:18 AM »

ignore duplicate
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:27:48 AM by MomoMcSleepy » Logged

AV fistula May 2012
Howard the Duck
MomoMcSleepy

« Reply #1287 on: April 23, 2012, 11:53:42 AM »

ignore duplicate
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:28:10 AM by MomoMcSleepy » Logged

AV fistula May 2012
Howard the Duck
MomoMcSleepy

« Reply #1288 on: April 23, 2012, 12:32:55 PM »

Ok, I read this entire thread and replied about six times...in a row.  Here is my attempt to condense it into one post.  Sorry if it's a mess, and if my stupid touchpad autocorrect the quotes and stuff.  Will try to clean this up, sorry to hog the page.  Consider this my "highlights" reel of the last six years of ignorant things people say....

when i tell ppl im on dialysis, "oh but ur so young" yeah well kidney failure doesnt really care how old u are... and why rnt u on the list yet, or have they given u a beeper?  oh and explaing peritoneal dialysis, ugh, so does the tube go to ur kidney... um no

I've gotten the "but you're so young" before.  When I hear it now, I say "yep, but I started when I was 12, so this is nothing"

I usually get that at the hospital when I go over my meds list or history and say much the same thing "well I started out from day one all messed up, and that's what happens when you're born with a bunch of birth defects.". I'm always surprised at what medical personnel will say, they are always taken aback  by me, have never heard of all my crap...

I got one for you all.  How about the training people, docs and nurses who decide to come in and see YOU because you are the interesting patient today?  I have had more damn trainees stop in to see me because I have a urostomy and have kidney failure than you could shake a stick at.  Can I see? Is what they ask.  Oh sure why the hell not, everyone and their damn brather has been in here already!
I know this is years old, but same with me!  I have a bouari flap as a urinary diversion (a procedure usually used for ureteral reimplant)  it looks like a mitrofanoff, and I'm always the interesting patient!  Especially my case history, persistent cloaca is super rare....though multiple times doctors have written that I had bladder extrophy, which is much less interesting, and then I've had to go back and tell them that no, I did not have that, please take it off of my record.  Gah!

Transplant coordinator for Wisconsin list conversation
Her: do you have any potential donors?
Me: No
Her: No family?
Me: No it's just me and my mom all my other family is distant cousins for the most part.
Her: Well, how about your mom?
Me: She's over 60, has diabetes and high blood pressure.  Has a few things against her.  :sarcasm;
Her: Oh, well no friends or anyone that has ever offered you a kidney?
Me: Uh, no.  My boyfriend offered but he apparently has some kidney thing that would deny him.
Her: Well, does your extended family know you need a kidney?
Me: yes.
Her: And no one has offered?
Me: No.
**you can here the awkward silence for a few seconds**
Her: Oh.  Well, you're AB+, which means you can accept from anyone!  With a live donor at your age, oh, that would just be so wonderful!  Do you have a facebook account?
Me: ummm...yes?
Her: Put it on your facebook that you need a kidney!  :banghead;

we were told to do that, too.  And email.  I did, and got tons of responses.  I have three (maybe 4?) potential donors so far, the tubes come in the mail like Christmas presents. I am O+.  I don't like talking about myself, it was embarrassing at first, but the mass facebook/email DID prevent a lot of dumb questions.  I included URL's to for informative websites (including ihd), and can update my facebook status without a million Questions about what's going on with my kidney.  I just have them refer to my "note" on facebook for more info.. You never know who wants to donate.  I felt slimy appealing on my own behalf like that, but I'm 32 for goodness' sakes, I want to be around a while!

Sounds like an awkward conversation (that you posted about 3 years ago, sorry), but we must become opportunists at a time like this!  I have had a mini-version, when my maternal grandmother asked about my father's family offering to donate.  My mom's sisters have called the donor line, and one of my paternal aunts said she had AB+ (so ineligible), but my dad's family, though supportive and loving, is weird and doesn't like to talk about anything, not mentioned it at all, and I felt like I had to come up with an excuse for them.  I know one aunt is AB+, though, and i'm O+.
I DID get mad when my uncle responded to my facebook plea by saying that a sibling or parents is the best match, and I interpreted it in a sing-songy, smart-aleck tone.  What pissed me off was, mom can't donate, my brother is checking on it, and my uncle was at my dad's funeral (though he's my mom's brother), and knows he can't donate since he's dead and all.  I had just explained that these people might not pan out, and re-explained (since he obviously didn't read my note) that the hospital suggested we just have everyone call in and they would decide who to test. Grr!

I have a story similar to this. When I first got sick, I was getting blood transfusions about once every six weeks. The hospital had a really hard time getting the IVs started, so every time my entire arm would be covered in bruises, usually on both arms. I taught in a school with some pretty rough characters. One day after class, a boy who was known to be the enforcer in the local gang stayed after class. He waited for every one to leave and said, "Hey Miss, I've noticed your arms the past couple of months. If there's a guy, I need to take care of..you just tell me where he is and he won't hurt you no more." I was speechless for a minute and then explained I wasn't being beaten at home. I was both appalled and flattered.  :P

I would feel the same way.  It was terribly sweet of him, in his own way.

Well, quite honestly, I get tired of the constant, "Oh, you're so young to have this happen to," comment. I'm so sick and tired of it.   :Kit n Stik;   ::)     Renal failure can happen at any age!!

I know this has been said a crapload of times, but I agree.  The reason it bothers me is that sometimes people seem to be accusing me of something, like they're suspicious of me (especially outside of my Neph or Uro clinic).  For example, I had a strange attack (probably a gallbladder attack) years ago and went to the ER from work.  The admitting nurse went over my meds with me and said something about all the medications, and why was I on so many?  And then, "Why are you on Ritalin?  I thought people outgrew ADHD.''  I explained that that was B---s---, and that I can't even diagnosed until I was 26, often people just develop coping mechanisms, etc.  I used swear words because I felt terrible and couldn't believe that I had to explain this to a medical professional.  I wanted to smack that idiot, but I was too weak and sick. BTW, this was way before I started on all the meds I  have now--over twice as many!  Ugh.

I had a friend come up to me today & say, "I looked up what a fistula is and it sounds worse than it is". Really?
  Just a guess that this person still doesn't know the difference between a surgically produced fistula and one that occurs in the body on its own.  And may the fool suffer an anal fistula just to demonstrate to difference!
       have you ever looked at pictures of dialysis fistulas online? some of them are pretty gruesome.  I have yet to see, with my own eyes, one that looks as nasty as some that I've seen online

that's actually good to hear, Riki, thanks.  Maybe this person was just trying to be reassuring, though.  Cause they sound frightening to me.  Mine has been postponed twice and i was a little relieved.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:25:41 AM by MomoMcSleepy » Logged

AV fistula May 2012
Howard the Duck
Annig83

« Reply #1289 on: May 18, 2012, 09:42:24 PM »

I got one today that just made my eyes pop out of my head....

I went to the dentist for a filling (my first one!  Thanks dialysis!  :banghead;)  The hygienist was reviewing my chart before she was going to aide in the procedure with the dentist.  She was asking me the normal amount of questions when she said:

"Dialysis? What's that for again?"
"Kidney failure"
"Oh, yeah, I always confuse that with hemodialysis" 
I then explained to her exactly what error she had just made and prayed that she knew enough about dental procedures to not screw anything up in my mouth.  (Luckily everything went fine) :banghead;

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
JasonEb

« Reply #1290 on: May 20, 2012, 06:49:21 AM »

Okay, a little backstory first...

I have long hair, tend to be somewhat unshaven, and have a pretty beat-up looking car (runs fantastic, but after being hit 10 times in the six years I've had it, it's not pretty cosmetically).  For years now, every few months I would get pulled over for my broken taillight.  It worked, but the casing was broken.  First I was told it had to be covered, so I covered it in red tape.  Then I would get pulled over if even the slightest bit of white light was showing through.  Then I would get pulled over when the red on the tape started to lose its color.  Then  I was told that since the light couldn't be seen shining through in the daylight, I had to use some red film to cover it.  Did that.  Of course, every time I got pulled over I'd get treated like I was a fugitive from justice even though my record is spotless (not even a traffic ticked since 1995!).

Well, recently I got the taillight fixed (even though it cost more than the car is worth), mostly because I was tired of it giving the police an excuse to profile me and pull me over...and not a week later, I get pulled over for a crack in my windshield that had been there (not obstructing my view in any way...it was on the passenger side) for years and NONE of the other cops that had ever pulled me over had said anything about it.

(Side note:  The officer that pulled me over had been next to me at a stop light just prior, and had allowed two cars coming the other way to run a red light while turning left.  I mean, our light had been green for a couple seconds by the time the second car even entered the intersection.  When I questioned him on it, he merely said, "I hadn't noticed".)

Anyway, I hand him my license and insurance, and place my arm on my door.  He glanced at my fistula (been using it for 11 1/2 years so it has a ton of track marks), and after explaining the "reason" he pulled me over, he then asked, "When was the last time I 'shot up'?"

What an insensitive, accusatory question!  After (admittedly obviously angry) explaining what the fistula was for, he went back and took over 20 minutes to write up a very sparse warning for my windshield.  Boy, do you possibly think he was looking for any warrants or anything against me as hard as he could?  When he came back I angrily told him how I feel how I had been profiled over the past several years and was tired of it, how he had let the two cars run a red light just moments before, and how he himself had stopped way past the line at that same red light.  I'm totally surprised he didn't arrest me, but since I knew that since I knew I was in the right, I was willing to take a stand.

The whole point of the story is his asinine question about me shooting up.  I've had the "oh, he must be an IV drug user" glance tons of times, and it doesn't bother me (though I have thought about having a "I AM NOT A DRUG USER" t-shirt made), and even some people have asked, "what happened to your arm?" many times, but not once has anyone, let alone a public servant, actually assume I shot up drugs!

(Oh, got the windshield fixed on Thursday...wonder what "reason" they'll find to pull me over now?)
WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #1291 on: May 20, 2012, 08:21:40 AM »

How about, "I'm so glad you got a transplant.  How long will that last?"  Umm...  well....  I wish I knew!

:flower; :flower; :flower;
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #1292 on: May 20, 2012, 11:07:22 AM »

And cutting her head off would be an even QUICKER way for her to lose 12 pounds!   >:D
[/quote]

Love it!

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Southpaw

« Reply #1293 on: May 20, 2012, 02:32:40 PM »

Jason, You need to easy on the police officers. I worked in law enforcement for 10yrs.  They see something like that and its the first thing that comes to their mind.  Just be nice and explain it but be RESPECTFUL and I am sure they will give you respect back.  I'm sure they don't see many fistulas.  Just a little advice from someone who has been there.
JasonEb

« Reply #1294 on: May 20, 2012, 06:05:07 PM »

Jason, You need to easy on the police officers. I worked in law enforcement for 10yrs.  They see something like that and its the first thing that comes to their mind.  Just be nice and explain it but be RESPECTFUL and I am sure they will give you respect back.  I'm sure they don't see many fistulas.  Just a little advice from someone who has been there.

I disagree.

Just because he is in law enforcement does not excuse him assuming the worst of me, even despite my appearance.  Do you honestly think that if I had been in a nice vehicle, in a polo shirt, and groomed to the hilt he would have asked me the same question? Or even pulled me over in the first place?

If he had asked me, "What happened to your arm?" or even, "How did you get those needle tracks?" I probably wouldn't have lost it on him.

Being a public servant should mean he should be more intelligent in the questions he asks, not less.  In this instance (I can understand how sometimes in emergency situations they have to make quick decisions) he should have understood before he accused.  "Innocent until proven guilty", remember?

The sad part is that where I used to live, I have a couple friends on the police force.  They have both told me that I am totally being profiled by the police here and it's something they do all the time.  Sadly, they say there is practically no way to prove it  as long as they have some valid reason (no matter how minor) to pull me over.
kporter85db

« Reply #1295 on: May 20, 2012, 08:28:10 PM »

My Mother-in-law, who I love and respect very much and she feels the same about me, was talking with my brother-in-law(her son) and the subject came up about my wife and I buying a new car. My brother-in-law asked if we could afford it (he knew of our financial difficulties the last couple years while I could not work). So my mother-in-law tells him that was approved for disability several months ago.

His response was, "Well, disable me." :Kit n Stik;

This happened last week. They were supposed to come over for dinner today. I cancelled.

I told my wife that if he said that in my house I would kick him out! She agreed.

BTW-He is a lazy, pot smoking idiot - if you couldn't tell.

May/2010 Sulfa based antibiotics killed my already weakened kidneys, almost
Feb/2011 PD catheter placed
July/2011 Started Peritoneal Dialysis
Nov/2013 Started NxStage 5 days/week

Ken
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1296 on: May 20, 2012, 08:46:25 PM »

His response was, "Well, disable me." :Kit n Stik;

Oh, I hate those people!  Really?  You really think being sick is a good way to live? 
I'd have asked which kidney did he want yanked out first...  >:D

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Southpaw

« Reply #1297 on: May 20, 2012, 09:57:58 PM »

Jason, You were not profiled. The police officer had probable cause to pull you over; a broken taillight.  Any violation of the vehicle code gives them probable cause to pull you over. Maybe his questioning of you could have been a little less judgmental; but I doubt he saw your arm and thought "fistula".  Anyways I hope you understand that 99.9% of officers are there to help and enforce the law.
Brightsky69

« Reply #1298 on: May 21, 2012, 07:19:21 AM »

I have to say…I could never be a police office. I have zero patience to deal with people. Heck, I use to work retail and was ready to slam more than my share of the general public. 

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #1299 on: May 21, 2012, 07:40:30 AM »

You think that a police officer would have better things to do than pull someone over for a cracked windshield when people are running red lights.  If a police officer asked me how long it was since I shot up, I would be pretty p***** off too. 

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »