I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 11:26:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 464312 times)
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1225 on: October 29, 2011, 01:33:05 PM »

At this point, I wouldn't turn down anyone's offer to be tested.  I just haven't had anyone offer

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #1226 on: October 31, 2011, 04:46:29 AM »

people just love sending me remedies.

The latest is some parsley tea!

Yes, why do I go to dialysis if a little bit of parsley tea will fix me right up....... :Kit n Stik;.
Why haven't my neph thought of it.... darnit :sarcasm;

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #1227 on: October 31, 2011, 07:14:59 AM »

people just love sending me remedies.

The latest is some parsley tea!

Yes, why do I go to dialysis if a little bit of parsley tea will fix me right up....... :Kit n Stik;.
Why haven't my neph thought of it.... darnit :sarcasm;
   Hey Des, I still have lots of parsley in my garden! If it works, I'll split the profits with you!    :rofl;

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
bleija

« Reply #1228 on: October 31, 2011, 08:21:15 PM »

when i tell ppl im on dialysis, "oh but ur so young" yeah well kidney failure doesnt really care how old u are... and why rnt u on the list yet, or have they given u a beeper?  oh and explaing peritoneal dialysis, ugh, so does the tube go to ur kidney... um no
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #1229 on: October 31, 2011, 08:37:45 PM »

I don't mind answering questions about D or ESRD but some people (read Adults) can be so stupid! One woman asked if I still urinate. I told her yes, I do. Fine, but every time she saw me after that she would ask increasingly personal and embarrassing questions. I finally lost it with her and told her it was none of her business. I didn't even know this woman very well! I wonder if she would ask a cancer patient who was a stranger the same kind of questions.

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
bleija

« Reply #1230 on: October 31, 2011, 08:45:36 PM »

i hate explaining t when i go visit and stay the night, and as m setting it up im trying to explain the bodys part of it, and they are asking where does all the water go and why do u  use sugasr water and a bunch of other crap, ive pretty good at explaining it where everyday idiots can understand tho
Annig83

« Reply #1231 on: October 31, 2011, 09:13:48 PM »

I kid you not, I had someone ask me the other day if an animal's kidney would work, instead of waiting on the transplant list!  Yeah... let me just head on over to the pet store and see who's a match?!  Idiot!!!! :banghead;

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #1232 on: October 31, 2011, 10:05:06 PM »

I'm having an ongoing issue with medical professionals confusing home hemo with PD. I've been in and out of the hospital all summer, and it seems that EVERY paramedic, EMT, nurse, etc. asks me when/where I do dialysis, and I say I do it at home six days/ week. They ALWAYS assume I'm on PD, and I have to explain again and again that I'm on HEMO dialysis. Yes, people, I have a dialysis machine in my living room!  :Kit n Stik;

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1233 on: November 01, 2011, 01:57:03 PM »

when i tell ppl im on dialysis, "oh but ur so young" yeah well kidney failure doesnt really care how old u are... and why rnt u on the list yet, or have they given u a beeper?  oh and explaing peritoneal dialysis, ugh, so does the tube go to ur kidney... um no

I've gotten the "but you're so young" before.  When I hear it now, I say "yep, but I started when I was 12, so this is nothing"

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #1234 on: November 03, 2011, 05:39:37 PM »

After waking in recovery after I had my small hernia repair earlier this year, a nurse came along to check my surgery site. On doing so, she looked rather perplexed and told me I had a large drain tube in. My heart rate went immediately to overdrive - and then I asked " That wouldn't be my PD catheter you're looking at, by any chance?' And it was. ???? How could the nurse not have known? I'll never forget the terror at thinking the surgery had gone wrong - even for only a few seconds.  ::)

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1235 on: November 03, 2011, 06:15:29 PM »

yes, nurses in the hospitals seem oblivious to pd... when i was in there, NONE of the nurses knew how to hook it up or anything! (ended up with para...er... cant spell infection)

Heres a good one... my step mother calling me a hypochondriac!
um yes... see these "track marks"? ya i do this for FUN  :Kit n Stik;

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
Restorer

« Reply #1236 on: November 03, 2011, 08:32:48 PM »

When I was on PD, every time I was in the hospital, I had to explain to nurses and students and sometimes even ER doctors how PD works. Even now when I mention I was on PD, I sometimes have to explain it.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
bleija

« Reply #1237 on: November 03, 2011, 08:33:05 PM »

yeah, the hospital i go to, i used to work there, so when i go in i tell them whats wrong with... i rememebr one time i went in with peritonitis, told them this, and they said it could be apendicitis, or  i was pregnant, that patients that self diagnose were almost always wrong... no i have peritonitis, draw the fluid out, see that its cloudy, and send it up to the lab to see what it is and then send me a dialysis nurse bc u guys are useless...
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1238 on: November 05, 2011, 09:59:57 AM »

When I had peritonitis, I was told it was gallstones.  I knew different.  I told them so.  It wasn't until after a few days, when I'd had the ultrasound to check for gallstones and there was no issue, that they started to believe me.  The problem with checking the dialysis fluid with me was, I didn't have any cloudy bags. They were clear.

For the doctors who say that patients who self diagnose are always wrong, I don't think they realize that dialysis patients know their bodies well.  They learn the signs, and know when something isn't right.  There are very few times that I've gone into the ER with an issue and been wrong about what it was
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 10:04:28 AM by Riki » Logged

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #1239 on: November 06, 2011, 12:51:54 AM »

For the doctors who say that patients who self diagnose are always wrong, I don't think they realize that dialysis patients know their bodies well.  They learn the signs, and know when something isn't right.  There are very few times that I've gone into the ER with an issue and been wrong about what it was

I agree with you!

I've gotten the "but you're so young" before.  When I hear it now, I say "yep, but I started when I was 12, so this is nothing"

yeah when folks say/said this to me I like to follow it up with..."yeah you don't have to be born with kidney disease to wind up on dialysis. I have met people who have had diabetes, elevated BP, and even strep throat end up on the machine...it would be wise to find a cure for this thing. Anyone can end up with this disease!!

PS-IGNORANT THING ALERT....My former pediatric neph saw me in the dialysis unit helping the kids on dialysis "hey you want us to hook you up for old time sake?" Freaking hilarious...ass hat!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1240 on: November 06, 2011, 01:43:49 PM »

PS-IGNORANT THING ALERT....My former pediatric neph saw me in the dialysis unit helping the kids on dialysis "hey you want us to hook you up for old time sake?" Freaking hilarious...ass hat!

xo,
R

I imagine that he was probably joking.  My pediatric nephrologist would probably say something like that to me, too, if I saw him.  They don't dialyze kids here, so he has no need to be here.

I think it funny, my pediatric nephrologist is the best in his field in North America, and I teased him solidly the whole time I was his patient.

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Iwannabean

« Reply #1241 on: November 08, 2011, 08:59:07 AM »

I frequently use the term "Ass Bag" :rofl;, But I love your saying "ass hat", thanks for the laugh, I needed one

Iwannabean
justme15

« Reply #1242 on: January 15, 2012, 12:16:42 PM »

Does anyone ever get asked, "Which kidney did they transplant?" I've been asked that multiple times by medical professionals!! then there's always an awkward pause as I look at them bewildered, to which they repeat the same question! as if I misunderstood them the first time!  ::)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1243 on: January 15, 2012, 12:34:57 PM »

Does anyone ever get asked, "Which kidney did they transplant?" I've been asked that multiple times by medical professionals!! then there's always an awkward pause as I look at them bewildered, to which they repeat the same question! as if I misunderstood them the first time!  ::)

I haven't heard that one yet!  I suppose if you had a live donor, you could answer left or right.  (From what I've read, left is most common.)  For a cadaver donor, I think I'd answer, "I don't know; my donor was dead when she gave it to me, so I didn't get a chance to ask."

Sarcasm is the best defense against stupidity.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #1244 on: January 15, 2012, 02:49:59 PM »

I can't tell you how many times I've been asked which kidney of mine failed. Um, BOTH of them!!! I then have to explain that if only ONE failed, I would be okay, because look at all the people out there who are living healthy lives with ONE kidney. Like, for example, all the LIVE donors out there!!! Especially the one who donated to me!!!  ::)

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #1245 on: January 16, 2012, 03:01:24 AM »

I frequently use the term "Ass Bag" :rofl;, But I love your saying "ass hat", thanks for the laugh, I needed one

Iwannabean

No problem glad to make you chuckle!!   :2thumbsup;

xo,
R

I imagine that he was probably joking.  My pediatric nephrologist would probably say something like that to me, too, if I saw him.  They don't dialyze kids here, so he has no need to be here.

yeah he might of been joking but I don't think it was funny at all....the only time he talks is when he has something smart to say....I get very sick of people who are like that....

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #1246 on: January 16, 2012, 05:01:10 PM »

My transplant was from a deceased donor and I know that I have the left kidney. The surgeon told me they usually place a donor left kidney on the right side and the donor right kidney on the left side but because of my enlarged native kidneys (thanks to PKD) I have a donor left kidney on the left side. I was somewhat stunned by this info. Huh? Did I need to know all of that as it raises more questions than it answers. However, it did tell me ''which kidney".

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
Restorer

« Reply #1247 on: January 16, 2012, 10:59:53 PM »

Every nurse and tech that's asked me about whether I'm on the transplant list has told me, "Oh, good. You're young, they'll give you priority for a kidney. I hope you get the call soon." As far as I know, that's not how it works. Being young isn't going to get me a kidney anytime soon, with the wait times being 10 years and 6 years in my two list areas, and I'm relatively new to both lists. I've given up on trying to tell them that. Now I just make a dismissive chuckle and say, "Yeahhh..."  ::)

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #1248 on: January 17, 2012, 09:05:13 AM »

When I was on PD , I used to get p***** off when,  after explaining about it to someone they would then say, "so how long can you do this before you do real dialysis?"

The real gem, remembering that at the time I was. 26 yearold woman wanting to start a family, and having received my diagnosis, not knowing if this was going to be an option, my husband's grandmother said " well, have a baby and you will be OK".  Stupid old biddy, she was as dim as anything but I could never bring myself to forgive her for that.

The standard annoying comment is 'you look well' or even worse, being completely ignored  by a  person who stood and talked to my mum while I was there. Previously she had always spoken to me.  Another woman, to my mum as I am standing there 'she looks well doesn't she' .  I suspect that I had a small taste of what someone in a wheelchair must experience when people talk over them and not to them.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Rain

« Reply #1249 on: January 18, 2012, 04:52:13 AM »

Not sure how I was to react to this one.  I was at in center and I am one of the 2 self care patients.   They sat me in a different area then usual so I didn't recognize the people.  I was setting up my needles and tapes and getting the machine ready, and myself ready to needle. when the guy next to me asks if I'm a nurse.  I said no but I'm self care.  HE said  oh but that's the nurse job why would you want to take their job away from them.

Really really..

1988  Diagnosed with reflux and kidney damage
2006-  Diagnosed with Renal Failure and start dialysis in centre with catheter
2007- Fistula created and in centre hemo with fistula
2012- Fistula clotted and central line inserted
May 2014- Received Kidney from deceased donor
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »