I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 07:43:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 464285 times)
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #1200 on: October 15, 2011, 08:11:13 AM »

...here's your sign...

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1201 on: October 15, 2011, 12:35:25 PM »

Sometimes I think everyone in a medical field should be required to take a refresher course of high school biology every five years.   :banghead;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1202 on: October 15, 2011, 03:18:52 PM »

i knew nothing about other types of dialysis for 2 year after being on in center hemo... after constantly having child care issues, among other issues, never once was other options mentioned.
It wasnt until i quit d for 2 weeks, and wound up in another hospital, meeting people from another clinic and starting at that new clinic that i was told about it.

btw, i was told that, even though its considered cosmetic and probably not covered by insurance, that "can" remove the fistula/graft if u get a tx and had it a while with no problems. they dont like to, but can.
not sure how true that is.

It's true. I had my first fistula removed when I was 15.  I had a transplant that was working great and didn't need it.  I think they were worried about me injuring it, since I was so young. The problem with that is, if you ever need to go on dialysis again, you need to have another fistula placed

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1203 on: October 15, 2011, 03:20:23 PM »

I got a good one...
just the other day when I went for the image of my kidneys (the last test needed in order for me to go on the transplant list) the tech that did my test says,

"Why are you having your kidenys x-rayed?"

Me, "I am on dialysis and in order for me to get on the transplant list I need to have this done."

Tech, "You are on dialysis?"

Me, "Yes"

Tech, "Are you on dialysis because both of your kidneys don't work or just one?"

Me, "really? are you serious right now?"

:urcrazy;

I've gotten that question before too

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1204 on: October 15, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »

LOL@ tbarrett and Riki.  That's unbelievable!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1205 on: October 15, 2011, 03:47:36 PM »

I still remember having an ultrasound done three years ago, checking for gallstones, and the radiologist had a student with her.  I think that since I was an odd case, she decided to use me as a teaching tool.  She showed the student my pd catheter, and for some reason, she decided to look at my native kidneys.  She was running the probe over my back, clicking buttons and making strange, concerned sounds.  Finally, I said to her, "if you're looking for function, you're not going to find any there."

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #1206 on: October 17, 2011, 02:44:38 PM »

Yesterday at Church I had someone say this behind my back. (literally, they were standing behind me)"I don't understand how some people have the nerve to run up a bunch of bills and burden their family when they're probably just going to die anyway."I was so mad but I didn't want to make a scene so I just walked out.

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1207 on: October 17, 2011, 07:26:54 PM »

Yesterday at Church I had someone say this behind my back. (literally, they were standing behind me)"I don't understand how some people have the nerve to run up a bunch of bills and burden their family when they're probably just going to die anyway."I was so mad but I didn't want to make a scene so I just walked out.

Oooh, you're so much better than me!  I'd have asked at what age they planned to walk off into a snow storm like an elderly Eskimo, to save their family the hassle of caring for them.  Especially since it seems they've already gone senile...  ::)

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1208 on: October 17, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »

I think I might have done a jbeany.  As I get older, I get more ornery.  In fact, I got into a political argument with some duffer at the airport last week.  I can't believe someone AT CHURCH said this.  I hope God was listening.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
tbarrett2533

Me licking my kidneys from my birthday kidney cake

« Reply #1209 on: October 17, 2011, 08:02:31 PM »

I am just wondering who this person was talking about?? and talking to???
and let me just tell you that if this person had said this intending it for me.... well church or not they would have had to call the police to get me off of ths SOB!!!
 >:( :Kit n Stik;

CKD since: 1981
9.22.10: Catheter surgery
9.23.10: Started in center Hemo
10.06.10: Fistula surgery
12.02.10: Started using right upper arm Fistula (15 gauge)
12.30.10: Catheter Removed
07.01.11: Laparoscopic CAPD Catheter insertion
07.29.11: Started CAPD, 2000ml, 4 exchanges (Baxter)
08.15.11: Started filling with 1500ml (instead of 2000ml), 4 exchanges
08.21.11: Back to 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3-2.5% & 1-1.5%)
10.12.11: 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3 1.5% & 1-2.5% overnight)
11.08.11: Transplant list

Dialysis works for me, I don't work for dialysis!
It's my body, my health!!
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #1210 on: October 23, 2011, 07:22:28 AM »

I get nervous for the future when people say things like this....how much more of a leap is it for them to think it is okay to kill off people not deemed healthy, mentally, or physically  "normal" enough??  These are the same people who probably don't believe in a national healthcare system and bitch about welfare, but then when a "disabled" person walks into their company for a job, they won't hire them!!! We can't win with a**holes like this around!!!

Sorry for this person's unkindness towards you..."forgive them for they do not know what they do"...I suppose....

xo,
R
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 10:25:15 AM by rsudock » Logged

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Brightsky69

« Reply #1211 on: October 23, 2011, 01:52:22 PM »

I remember once telling someone (years ago) about my kidney transplant and how my mother donated one of her kidneys to me. This person said something about how they wouldn't put their mother thru that mainly because if your kidneys fail then thats just Gods way of saying it's your time to die.  I was stunned and could only manage to look at them like they were crazy. At the time I was sure I hadn't herd them correctly.

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1212 on: October 23, 2011, 03:56:23 PM »

I remember once telling someone (years ago) about my kidney transplant and how my mother donated one of her kidneys to me. This person said something about how they wouldn't put their mother thru that mainly because if your kidneys fail then thats just Gods way of saying it's your time to die.  I was stunned and could only manage to look at them like they were crazy. At the time I was sure I hadn't herd them correctly.

I would think that it would be worse for your mother to go through your death than the donation process

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Subeat

« Reply #1213 on: October 23, 2011, 04:35:01 PM »

That would have pissed me off beyond words.  So, I guess this person would refuse all medical intervention for any situation?
Brightsky69

« Reply #1214 on: October 23, 2011, 04:54:07 PM »

I guess Subeat.  :waiting;  Maybe the human race got lucky and she lived thru a firey car crash. Ooops, did I say that out loud?  ;D

Riki - yeah,  :) I told my mom she didn't have to do this...she said This is no different than if you had the flu and I had to sit up with you all night taking care of you.

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #1215 on: October 23, 2011, 05:50:10 PM »

What a great Mom! My Mom volunteered but I said no, because of her age. To listen to my Mom, "I'm only 83." That's my Mom, gotta love her!

Think about it! LOL!
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1216 on: October 23, 2011, 07:12:03 PM »

My mom wants to go in as a paired donor for me.  She's currently trying to lose the weight they they've told her to lose, before she goes for any testing.  I'm almost hoping that I get a kidney by other means before she gets to that point.  I'm afraid of something happening to her while giving a kidney for me, and we really only have each other

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1217 on: October 24, 2011, 04:51:49 PM »

this really has nothing to do with dialysis, but it was said to me...
i am trrying my hardest to find the perfect costume for my son, i didnt want to buy a cheaply made cookie cutter costume for him. I just got out of the hospital, i feel like shit, and yet i dont see healthy parents doing half of anything for their kids, so this really hurt me.
not only did someone let my son have the UNFINISHED sheild and sword to play with, and also CHANGED it by adding more tape (this was UNFINISHED so of course it was flimsy) but then procedded to tell me in certain words what a peice of shit it was compared to the type of things "our" parents used to make us as costumes...
why do i even try?

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #1218 on: October 25, 2011, 10:10:30 AM »

Oh Jen, I'm sorry to hear that! Forget those people; did your son like the sword & shield? As long as he is happy, who cares what anyone else thinks. Hang in there!

Think about it! LOL!
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #1219 on: October 25, 2011, 10:40:41 AM »

Oh Jen, I'm sorry to hear that! Forget those people; did your son like the sword & shield? As long as he is happy, who cares what anyone else thinks. Hang in there!

Think about it! LOL!
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1220 on: October 25, 2011, 05:12:24 PM »

well they werent finished, so i wouldnt let him play with them, he got ahold of them while i was napping. He likes the idea, but since they werent done they were still really flimsy and basically unusable...
grrrr i think im a bit hormonal from everything, ive never been THIS emo over such petty crap. just feeling down because i feel like crap.

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #1221 on: October 26, 2011, 02:57:53 PM »

This is what I copied and pasted off of a friend's email to me today, she said:

"Hopefully, you'll get a transplant soon. I know this is probably a stupid thing to say, but try to stay positive. I know that's easier said than done"

I felt like posting this little icon in my email back to her:    :Kit n Stik;

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #1222 on: October 27, 2011, 05:38:13 PM »

Riki, when I met with my transplant team last year, I mentioned my eldest sister was willing to be tested as a donor but I was extremely uncomfortable with the idea. One of the team's doctor's said I was being selfish and not considering the benefits my sister would get as a donor. It really worried me for a while that maybe I was doing the wrong thing by saying no to my sister but I decided that I had to do what was best for me and my peace of mind. I should add my health was pretty good. I was worried something would happen to her and also that the strain of two daughters undergoing ops would be too much for our Mum. My sister soooo wanted to help out but I'm soooo glad it wasn't necessary. Hugs to you and your Mum.

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1223 on: October 28, 2011, 06:36:02 AM »

I remember having a long chat with the transplant coordinator when I was getting ready to go back on the list for the 3rd time, and she asked me about living donors.  I told her that I didn't really want a living donor, because (and this was after losing 2 transplanted kidneys in less than 5 years) I didn't know how I could face the person who gave me their kidney if I were to lose it.  She said that you have to think of it as your kidney and no longer theirs, but it's not exactly an easy thing.  I don't know why anyone would say you were selfish for not wanting your sister's kidney. You do have to do what feels right to you, and for me, at that particular point in time, I didn't want a living donor.  The thing with these decisions is that you can always change your mind later on, if situations change.  For me, it did change, when I got the peritonitis infection.  I was so sick, and I didn't want to go through anything like that again.  I started asking my family at that point.  That was 3 years ago, and only one person I asked actually answered me, and that was my brother.  He said no.

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1224 on: October 28, 2011, 12:35:55 PM »

I turned down my sister's offer to be tested, too. 

1.  Adult diabetes runs in the family, putting her at risk in the future.  2.  She has a young child who needed his mom a lot more than he needed his aunt.  3.  I wanted a pancreas as well as a kidney.  4.  I was doing okay with D, and didn't want to risk her health.  5.  I needed her to be healthy to help me recover from a transplant.  6.  It will be harder to get a match for the second transplant I'll likely need in the future, so she's my back up plan.

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »