I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 09:26:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 464293 times)
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #1175 on: October 06, 2011, 07:14:25 AM »

Agree with you completely CebuShan. I've had more people tell me "you look good". I guess that's better than "you look like hell", but still...

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Subeat

« Reply #1176 on: October 06, 2011, 09:53:13 AM »

I kind of like the surprised "you look good!" comments.  Actually, I probably look a heck of a lot better than I did a couple of months ago when I felt like @#$%.
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1177 on: October 06, 2011, 03:40:01 PM »

I would like to ask everyone a question. 

When you're at D, what are your thoughts when your Tech or RN tells you EVERYTHING that's going on in their life...family, kids, shopping, what they did the past weekend....very personal things?

What are your thoughts about more education during treatments?

Do you want to be involved in where the clinic's standings are?

These are items that I've come across during my 18 years and would like input from the experts...YOU!

I dont mind when they talk to me personally, it makes me feel like they truly care, rather than just paid to care....
Of course there is a line, i know of one of our gals, who was fired a looong while ago, she crossed that line with me (and apparently others?) but other than that one person, i havent had any problems with any of the staff talking "personally" to me.
Its never too personal, and its just relaxing to listen rather than realize what is happening to me. and as u know, i cant speak when im getting stuck lol

as far as the other stuff, im just there to live, and i know u all are the best in the area, much better than my previous clinic. I love seeing u guys at CU dialysis' smiling faces. I feel like, much like this site, it is a second (or third) home to me.
So as far as "standings" go, it doesnt really matter, because i know u are the best for ME. that may not be true for everyone though.

as far as education, i prefer to sleep during treatment... unless it is vital, i dont really want to be bugged lol makes treatment go much faster!!!

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
Annig83

« Reply #1178 on: October 06, 2011, 09:08:54 PM »

I have a friend who just had her second child, and it set off some strange kidney issues with her.  She is currently under the care of a nephrologist.  At her appointment this past week, she overheard another woman with a small child in the room next door;

She said "I wish my kidneys would just fail already, so I can get on dialysis and be done with it."

My friend instantly called me.  I was instantly furious... :rant;

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
Desert Dancer

« Reply #1179 on: October 06, 2011, 09:39:41 PM »

She said "I wish my kidneys would just fail already, so I can get on dialysis and be done with it."

And when she finally IS on dialysis, I bet those words haunt her for a long, long time.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #1180 on: October 07, 2011, 12:23:56 AM »

This reminds me of something that happened a few years ago in the neph's waiting room:
Myself and another woman had started chatting, as you do sometimes, over incidental things, and were quite relaxed and enjoying our conversation. The patient and her daughter, that had been in seeing the neph, came out, and the daughter said to her sister, who had waited outside, 'We've been told to go straight to the hospital and she (the mum) needs to start dialysis NOW!"
The woman I'd been chatting with just looked at me, stunned, and I right back at her. I remember being so horrified by witnessing this life changing moment for the family (and my worst nightmare - at that time - acted out before me) that we didn't speak another word to each other, just sat with our own thoughts until the doctors called one of us in.

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1181 on: October 07, 2011, 11:30:20 AM »

I have a friend who just had her second child, and it set off some strange kidney issues with her.  She is currently under the care of a nephrologist.  At her appointment this past week, she overheard another woman with a small child in the room next door;

In a way, though, I can understand that.  If she's at the point where she's close, and every appointment with the neph is a nerve-wracked period spent wondering how bad the news is going to be, having a course of action can be preferable.  She doesn't realize, of course, how fondly she's going to look back on time pre-D before her life was scheduled and her diet and fluid intake drastically restricted, but who among us really did know that?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Dry-Pack-Babe

« Reply #1182 on: October 07, 2011, 04:21:38 PM »

I'm into makeup and going to the beauty parlor and despite being on dialysis, I still do it all. A number of people have commented about my appearance. The daughter of an elderly patient said, "Oh, it hasn't gotten to you yet." Or, "Do you still urinate?" a tech asked me.

"Yes," I said.

"Well, when you stop urinating, your looks will go to hell. Just you wait and see, honey."

Lovely! Just lovely! I try my best to always put on a happy face. And just ignore assholes.
rocker

« Reply #1183 on: October 07, 2011, 09:06:36 PM »

"Well, when you stop urinating, your looks will go to hell. Just you wait and see, honey."

"Perhaps, but I'll still look twice as good as you."
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #1184 on: October 07, 2011, 09:08:24 PM »

I had a friend come up to me today & say, "I looked up what a fistula is and it sounds worse than it is". Really?

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1185 on: October 08, 2011, 12:43:08 PM »

I had a friend come up to me today & say, "I looked up what a fistula is and it sounds worse than it is". Really?

Just a guess that this person still doesn't know the difference between a surgically produced fistula and one that occurs in the body on its own.  And may the fool suffer an anal fistula just to demonstrate to difference!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1186 on: October 08, 2011, 10:17:44 PM »

Just a guess that this person still doesn't know the difference between a surgically produced fistula and one that occurs in the body on its own.  And may the fool suffer an anal fistula just to demonstrate to difference!

have you ever looked at pictures of dialysis fistulas online? some of them are pretty gruesome.  I have yet to see, with my own eyes, one that looks as nasty as some that I've seen online

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1187 on: October 09, 2011, 12:26:08 AM »

have you ever looked at pictures of dialysis fistulas online? some of them are pretty gruesome.  I have yet to see, with my own eyes, one that looks as nasty as some that I've seen online

Yeah, they tend to only post the pics of the worst case scenarios.

My thought on the fool who thinks they aren't as bad as the description makes them sound doesn't get that we are trying to keep an unnatural surgical revision in working order - something that can involve multiple surgeries, stents, and ballooning, not to mention infiltrations and that electric shock feeling that comes with having the tech ram a nerve with a giant needle. 

A naturally occurring fistula, while not a good thing, is something that you treat to make it go away and hopefully never have to deal with again. 

brandi1leigh

« Reply #1188 on: October 11, 2011, 07:25:12 PM »

Stupid thing said by my NEPHROLOGIST yesterday.

Dr.: I'm really concerned by how much EPO we have to give you. But the alternative is more blood transfusions and that's not good either.
Me: I don't know what the answer is.
Dr.: Me either. I guess we just need to get you a kidney. Are you listed?
Me: Yes. But they say the wait time is 6-8 years for my blood type.
Dr.: Oh that's too long. You know why we're so short on kidneys?
Me: No. Why?
Dr.: Helmet laws. We had a lot more kidneys before helmet laws.
Me: My dad rides a Harley so I kind of like helmet laws.
Dr.: Hmm. There's always a trade-off.

I didn't know how to respond to there's always a trade off. I think I mumbled something and he sauntered off from my chair. And this is the third time he's lectured me about how awful it is that I'm epo resistant. It's not like it's something I can control. I get annoyed when I get lectured about high phosphorus foods and that's at least something I can control. My body's refusal to respond to epo unless I get 3 times the recommended dose is not a choice. And yet every week I get a lecture on all the bad things that can happen from too much epo. And when I ask what's the alternative, I'm told there isn't really one unless I want to be very anemic or get a blood transfusion once a month. Frustrated!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1189 on: October 11, 2011, 08:58:35 PM »

I'm going to have to stay away from this thread because these stories horrify me.

I've been told I look really good for someone with crap kidneys, so I choose to take that as a compliment.  As a matter of fact, when I went through security at O'Hare last week on my way to the meetup in Vegas, the TSA agent made me go through the imaging machine, and when I was done, I just stood there, grinning stupidly, because I didn't know what to do next.  The TSA agent stood there, also grinning stupidly, and he blurted, "You sure look bright and healthy."  I laughed out loud and said, "I have to tell you...I'm on the kidney transplant list, so I can't look all that great!"  He didn't know what to say to THAT, so he just repeated himself, and I said, "It's amazing what a little makeup can do for ya!"

I used to think that it was pretty silly to refuse to wear a motorcycle helmet, but now I think, "ORGAN DONOR!"  There's no helmet law here in my state, so people are free to risk brain trauma if they'd like.  Good ol' American Freedom! :P

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Desert Dancer

« Reply #1190 on: October 11, 2011, 10:05:35 PM »

Oh, crap, I must look like a hag, then. Why didn't Andy tell me?

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Iwannabean

« Reply #1191 on: October 12, 2011, 06:43:12 AM »

I was told, "If you get a kidney, will those horrible bumps on your arm go away" :puke;
Brightsky69

« Reply #1192 on: October 12, 2011, 07:35:37 AM »

Dr.: I'm really concerned by how much EPO we have to give you. But the alternative is more blood transfusions and that's not good either.
Me: I don't know what the answer is.
Dr.: Me either. I guess we just need to get you a kidney. Are you listed?
Me: Yes. But they say the wait time is 6-8 years for my blood type.
Dr.: Oh that's too long. You know why we're so short on kidneys?
Me: No. Why?
Dr.: Helmet laws. We had a lot more kidneys before helmet laws.
Me: My dad rides a Harley so I kind of like helmet laws.
Dr.: Hmm. There's always a trade-off.

I am sorry....I can't help it, that was funny to me.  ;D I tend to have a weird sense of humor.

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
brandi1leigh

« Reply #1193 on: October 13, 2011, 03:18:49 PM »

I am sorry....I can't help it, that was funny to me.  ;D I tend to have a weird sense of humor.

Don't worry, my mom and I laughed about it afterwards too. We also have twisted senses of humor.

EDITED - Quote Error Corrected - Bajanne, Moderator
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 04:57:28 PM by Bajanne » Logged
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1194 on: October 13, 2011, 05:42:24 PM »

I was told, "If you get a kidney, will those horrible bumps on your arm go away" :puke;

How little some people know... *sigh*

When I got my first fistula in 1991, a friend of my dad's showed me his.  He had been transplanted in 1979, and he still had the large lump on his arm.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #1195 on: October 14, 2011, 05:04:11 AM »

How little some people know... *sigh*

When I got my first fistula in 1991, a friend of my dad's showed me his.  He had been transplanted in 1979, and he still had the large lump on his arm.
I guess we shouldn't even try if "those ugly bumps" aren't going to go away!       :rofl;

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
Brightsky69

« Reply #1196 on: October 14, 2011, 07:35:45 AM »

I can always tell who is on dialysis from the "ugly bumps". I usually approach people when I see their arms and start up a conversation.   ;D I ran into this one guy who was still on hemo and he was so amazed that I didn't have any indication of dialysis on my arms. I told him about me having been on PD for years and he had no idea what that was. It's weird to me that none of his doctors told him about other dialysis options.

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #1197 on: October 14, 2011, 08:21:55 AM »

i knew nothing about other types of dialysis for 2 year after being on in center hemo... after constantly having child care issues, among other issues, never once was other options mentioned.
It wasnt until i quit d for 2 weeks, and wound up in another hospital, meeting people from another clinic and starting at that new clinic that i was told about it.

btw, i was told that, even though its considered cosmetic and probably not covered by insurance, that "can" remove the fistula/graft if u get a tx and had it a while with no problems. they dont like to, but can.
not sure how true that is.

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1198 on: October 14, 2011, 01:24:43 PM »

The latest bit of idiocy from someone who is supposed to be medically trained:

My transplant doc asked if I had noticed any fluid retention. 

I said no. 

Then he asked if I was urinating as much as I was drinking.

Ummm...isn't that what we just covered?  And if I'm not retaining fluid, how would I know?  I do keep a rough tally of how much fluid I drink, to make sure I get at least 2 L a day, but I'm not measuring output down to the last drop to find out if it's all coming out.    :urcrazy;
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 12:22:54 AM by jbeany » Logged

tbarrett2533

Me licking my kidneys from my birthday kidney cake

« Reply #1199 on: October 14, 2011, 10:36:41 PM »

I got a good one...
just the other day when I went for the image of my kidneys (the last test needed in order for me to go on the transplant list) the tech that did my test says,

"Why are you having your kidenys x-rayed?"

Me, "I am on dialysis and in order for me to get on the transplant list I need to have this done."

Tech, "You are on dialysis?"

Me, "Yes"

Tech, "Are you on dialysis because both of your kidneys don't work or just one?"

Me, "really? are you serious right now?"

:urcrazy;

CKD since: 1981
9.22.10: Catheter surgery
9.23.10: Started in center Hemo
10.06.10: Fistula surgery
12.02.10: Started using right upper arm Fistula (15 gauge)
12.30.10: Catheter Removed
07.01.11: Laparoscopic CAPD Catheter insertion
07.29.11: Started CAPD, 2000ml, 4 exchanges (Baxter)
08.15.11: Started filling with 1500ml (instead of 2000ml), 4 exchanges
08.21.11: Back to 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3-2.5% & 1-1.5%)
10.12.11: 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3 1.5% & 1-2.5% overnight)
11.08.11: Transplant list

Dialysis works for me, I don't work for dialysis!
It's my body, my health!!
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »