I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 06:42:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 463211 times)
zekewolfy

« Reply #225 on: December 24, 2006, 08:18:07 AM »

The most ridiculous thing I have ever had someone say to me was from my own farther.

He asks.....

I know your on a machine to keep you alive, But how is your health?

my reply after much screaming.........I'm on a f*cking machine that beats me senseless and makes me sick three times a week and your asking about my health?

OH MAN!
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #226 on: December 24, 2006, 08:32:17 AM »

Only law enforcement officers are allowed to brandish weapons in public.  Simply because the officers are properly trained in the use or their firearms and they are the ones getting paid to up-hold public safety.

BS :banghead;

Apply that to the First Amendment and just see how far that lead balloon flies.

"Limit free speech to only the Press as they are the ones properly trained in the use of free speech."

BTW law abiding citizens use firearms for protection of life and property many more times per day than the police do.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 08:47:27 AM by BigSky » Logged
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #227 on: December 24, 2006, 10:45:41 AM »

The most ridiculous thing I have ever had someone say to me was from my own farther.

He asks.....

my reply after much screaming.........I'm on a f*cking machine that beats me senseless and makes me sick three times a week and your asking about my health?

OH MAN!
Ya some of the things people say .. but they are just curious but don't know the right questions to ask. I like that more than people who just jump and make assumptions about our health. Like the ones that say my dialysis is in the way of Christmas dinner and can't I just skip it as if I am the one putting them out! Heck THEY can do dialysis for me instead! :P  ::)

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
sandman

« Reply #228 on: December 25, 2006, 01:08:21 AM »

He asks.....

OH MAN!

I don't see that as an ignorant question.  More like an inaccurate question.
tubes

Miss you so much Susie. Will always <3 you!

« Reply #229 on: January 02, 2007, 08:28:37 PM »

since there was mention of weapons and guns, i thought i would mention this.....
a law was past in ks that allows civilians to carry concealed firearms.  you have to take a training class and pay so much money before you are licensed.  i dont know if any other states have the same law.

anyways......

if i cramp real bad and complain a few nurses like to say...'you couldn't handle having a baby', then they do the breathing exercises in my face.  at first i didnt like it, but now i just joke along with em.

"To be happy is the choice I wish to make in spite of the circumstances that are strewn in my path."

1996 - started incenter hemo
a few months later, started PD
2005 - started incenter hemo
AGAIN
  - on transplant list as of August 7, 2009.
2011/June - 15 years on "D"
Transplant - Tuesday October 18th 2011
Bear

« Reply #230 on: January 04, 2007, 05:44:21 PM »

OH MAN!
                       ...hmmmm. Funnily enough, those of us on the Home Haemo prog. at our hospital,
 have to fill in a questionnaire once every couple of months. One of those 'pick a number from 1-5' types,
 to give the level of yes/no answer. The question "do you consider yourself as healthy as the next person?"
 and a couple of similar ones is on there. Difficult to answer these with a "1" or even a "5" when you want
 to actually write a paragraph....
    If the "next person" is terminally ill, it's a "1"
    "   "     "      "          is on the national athletics squad, the answer is about "35"       ::)

waves...Bear
AlasdairUK

« Reply #231 on: January 05, 2007, 03:17:23 AM »

He asks.....

OH MAN!

I don't see that as an ignorant question. More like an inaccurate question.

I think it is a fair question. I'm also on a machine, but my health is good. I have good energy levels and feel that I am able to be as active as everybody else in my office if not more so than some. As opposed to somebody who might have a chest line infection and is ill.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #232 on: January 06, 2007, 02:41:18 PM »

I swear, by all that I've ever found holy, the next person who gives me a pitying look and says, "You're much too young to be this sick," is gonna get smacked.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #233 on: January 06, 2007, 03:12:51 PM »

When the photographer was at our house taking pictures for the news story, he asked Jenna:

"What do you think about when you are at the dialysis clinic?"

Jenna's reply "I try not to think at all."

He asks, "Well, do you ever meditate, or think about what you're going to do when you get off that day?"

Jenna said, "No. I will tell you what it's like, being at dialysis. It's like waiting for a bus."

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #234 on: January 06, 2007, 03:53:34 PM »

( me talking to myself) " To dialysis or not to dialysis, that my friend IS the question"

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #235 on: January 26, 2007, 08:51:49 PM »

My mother has been around me since the beginning of dialysis eight years ago.  I cannot figure out why she says when I say I am tired and taking a nap: "Why are you so tired?"   Is she just a nitwit or just does not get it? I work as a teacher for eight hours a day, i then do four hours of dialysis on top of that for four hours each treatment and she has the balls to ask me why I am tired! WTF!!!
I am going to lose it all over her one day!  Lord, please help me!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
brenda

« Reply #236 on: January 26, 2007, 09:12:45 PM »

This one couple we camp and fish with all summer got into a habit of asking me if I would mind picking up her groceries after I run home and dialyze. Ya, no problem, that's just what I feel like doing after dialysis. After about 4 times of saying, " ya, ok" (always the nice guy) I lost it! No I'm not going shopping at 8 or 9 at night before I come back out to camp! Get off your fat ass get in your own truck and go to town! Or maybe, plan a little better, geez.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #237 on: January 27, 2007, 10:22:55 AM »

since there was mention of weapons and guns, i thought i would mention this.....
a law was past in ks that allows civilians to carry concealed firearms.  you have to take a training class and pay so much money before you are licensed.  i dont know if any other states have the same law.

There is only 3 states in the union that don't have that law. Wisconsin is one of them,and I am really pissed that they don't pass it.
A co worker knowing I am leaving for dialysis-"hope you have a nice night" ::)

EDITED: Fixed Quote Tag Error - Sluff, Moderator

« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 11:08:43 AM by sluff » Logged

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #238 on: January 27, 2007, 10:18:59 PM »

I show people my dialysis arm and they totally freak out.  Or the kid who asked: What happened to your arm?   I tell the kids I had surgery.  Adults just totally freak out over the look of the graft in the left arm. So now I wear longer sleeves. "What the hell happened?"  or "Gross."
It stops people dead in the water if they think dialysis patients have it easy. I just roll up the sleeve and let them look at it.  It is my badge of courage now.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
brenda

« Reply #239 on: January 27, 2007, 10:58:20 PM »

I had kinda forgot about this until I talked to my one daughter earlier tonight. We used to live in the same neighborhood as a ex-famous, ex-WWF wrester. All our kids were around the same age and were friends. Their dad had a brother who was a dialysis patient but would go lay on the beach in the states for a week at a time and show up back at dialysis very ill. He'd stay for a couple of weeks until he felt a little better the off he'd go again skiing for a week or whatever. That went on for about a year and he eventually died. Jai came home one day sobbing. My friends mom says your going to die because your on dialysis. Some of the conversations "adults" had with my kids really pissed me off. You try so hard to educate them on what's going on. They all got really good at filtering through things people said. I had one parent want to know why I had "track" marks. Too many mom's in that neighborhood had nothing better to do but shit like that.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #240 on: January 27, 2007, 11:10:18 PM »

The neighborhood kids walked up to me as I was getting out of my car and asked me if I had AIDS/HIV. I had a bandage on my arm and looked like hell. I told them no, I had kidney failure and was on dialysis.  I don't think they believed me. They never talk to me.

lifenotonthelist.com

renal30yrs

« Reply #241 on: January 28, 2007, 03:10:06 AM »

I would say just "**** them all".  They'll face their day of reckoning one day and may or may not regret their deeds.
mrhecht

Where's my Starbucks?

« Reply #242 on: January 28, 2007, 06:02:06 PM »

What REALLY gets to me is not the ignorant questions of strangers or acquaintances (at least, not anymore) but the REPEATED stupid questions of family and good friends. Example: Me arriving at family whatever (insert birthday or holiday) get together:
My Dad, as I walk in the door, "What can I get you to drink.?"
Me, "Nothing, right now. I'll have something with dinner."
Dad, "Don't you want a glass of wine or a beer?"
Me, "No, I'll have something with dinner."
Step-mom, "We have water."
Me, "No, thanks."
Dad & Step-mom together in harmony, "Can you have some soda or juice?"
Me, (taking out my concealed weapon for which I do not have a permit and pointing it at their surprised faces...) "IT'S QUANTITY NOT QUALITY AS I'VE TOLD YOU FOR THE LAST FREAKIN' 17 YEARS!)

Then we have the conversation about how they didn't put any salt in the ham that they're serving for dinner....did I mention my Dad is supposed to be on a low salt diet for his heart.....so, yeah right, good choice...no added salt in the ham...thanks.

peace............marian
CAPD 1989 to 1992
HD 1992 to 2007
2007 Back to PD;  CCPD...18 years & counting!

Real danger is the refusal to consider another option.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #243 on: January 28, 2007, 08:30:31 PM »

Ah, good family times!   :rofl;

I asked for a small glass of water at the last family gathering.  My dad asked me if I wanted a shot glass, or something bigger.  Ah, well, at least he remembers that I'm fluid restricted!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #244 on: January 29, 2007, 02:01:01 PM »

My mother has been around me since the beginning of dialysis eight years ago.  I cannot figure out why she says when I say I am tired and taking a nap: "Why are you so tired?"   Is she just a nitwit or just does not get it? I work as a teacher for eight hours a day, i then do four hours of dialysis on top of that for four hours each treatment and she has the balls to ask me why I am tired! WTF!!!
I am going to lose it all over her one day!  Lord, please help me!

Well, after all, you have a light workday, not like you're digging ditches or anything. Then you just sit around in a chair at dialysis. Come on Kit, buck up!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #245 on: January 29, 2007, 08:28:36 PM »

LOL :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

lifenotonthelist.com

MJB

« Reply #246 on: January 29, 2007, 10:02:56 PM »

A Nurse once asked me how do you pee without kidney's??? I told her through my finger. She gave me a strange look and left, thank God!!! I thought she was kidding.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 10:20:24 PM by MJB » Logged

Mike

1994-1998 CCPD
1998-2002 Transplant
2002-2004 In-Center Hemo
2004-2006 Transplant
April 2006 NxStage System One
September 2006 NxStage PureFlow
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #247 on: January 30, 2007, 01:27:01 AM »

A Nurse once asked me how do you pee without kidney's??? I told her through my finger. She gave me a strange look and left, thank God!!! I thought she was kidding.
A nurse? I thought any nurse would know you can't without kidneys  :o

Of course one time I was told that I HAD to have a FULL bladder for some test after my kidney stopped producing anything .. and she kept arguing with me that I couldn't go for the test even though it was my Nephrologist who scheduled it (I think he would know I would not be coming in with a full bladder  ::))

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #248 on: January 30, 2007, 03:19:51 AM »

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; You guys are so funny!

I thought all the morons were attracted to just me. I think I have heard all of the above. Although my GP (local doctor) asked me if they transplant one or two kidneys. O.k that may sound reasonable..... but I was being worked up for a LIVE donation transplant! :o You would think she would know the answer!  :banghead; aahhhhhhh

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
mrhecht

Where's my Starbucks?

« Reply #249 on: January 30, 2007, 09:17:14 PM »

Sometimes I wonder where/how some nurses get licensed. The nurse at my ob/gyn sees me every year and always ask me very nicely, with a kind of sad puppy look, if I'm still on dialysis, "Yes" I say; then she hands me the cup and points to the restroom and says "Just bring it up to the front when you're done." I'm often tempted to pour some Mountain Dew in there and turn it in.

peace............marian
CAPD 1989 to 1992
HD 1992 to 2007
2007 Back to PD;  CCPD...18 years & counting!

Real danger is the refusal to consider another option.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »