I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 09:26:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 464212 times)
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #875 on: October 28, 2009, 06:51:20 PM »

I hate it when I go out and people that know I'm on fluid restrictions ask me if I want another beer.
Especially if I came off heavy in the morning, some of my mates still don't understand how hard it is not to drink too much.

The answer is to say "I can't drink another beer, but I can have a double Scotch — thanks!" or whatever expensive spirit you fancy. You'll be surprised how quickly they will start to understand.  ;D

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
staceyand joe92

« Reply #876 on: October 29, 2009, 02:02:35 AM »

I had someone look at my Fistula and say "wow do you have a garden hose in your arm?"....I replied "just had it installed last week...makes watering the flowers so much easier".

PKD
in center dialysis 3/week 3 hours for 16 months
11/2008 transplant list (active)
6 living donors denied
12/2009 Kidney Transplant
jennyc

First day of school 08'

« Reply #877 on: October 29, 2009, 02:41:39 AM »

Staceyandjoe... i love it. I'll have to use that when mine heals if it's ok. so far with all the scars across my tummy and now my arm I tell people I had a fight with freddy kruger. When i was working people used to get up off their seats becuase they though i was pregnant, one girl went so far as to argue with me when i told her i wasn't pregnant, took ten mintues and a co-worker to really get in her face for her to conceede defeat and walk away mumbling 'i still think she's pregnant!'

I think the worst some-one ever said to me was 'it's your fault your kidneys failed the 2nd time, you didn't drink enough water!'  :Kit n Stik;  WTF the only reason he still stands is becuase he is close to the family.

Or.. just before i gave up work i had  bad night, you know where you get those shocking leg cramps to the point where it actually leaves you in pain for the next day and bruising to the ankles. I rang work and said I wouldn't be in 'God, are you sick AGAIN!' then when i gave them the note saying 'sick due to renal failure complications' the managers eyes just rolled 'if you're sick much more often we'll have to give you a written warning'.  Hmmmmm... could you send a copy to my kidneys, they really need a kick up the  :sir ken;

2003 January - acute renal failure
        March/April - Started PD
2009 October - PD failing, First fistula put in.

Cadaveric Transplant 27/1/2010
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #878 on: October 29, 2009, 06:01:49 AM »

my main nep doc, at dialysis Monday, said to me to drink plenty of fluids with the flu --
I said "ALRIGHT!" :pray;
renalpenguin

« Reply #879 on: October 29, 2009, 08:06:01 AM »

"I made this pizza just for you- I used lots of tomato sauce so it'll be high in potassium and good for your blood pressure, whole grain dough, and non-fat cheese! So it's low calorie and you can eat it!" Then she pulled out the Coke Zero.

:banghead; It may be low calorie, but how high is it in everything I can't eat?

As upsetting it is when people don't understand, I try to remember- they just aren't educated. No one is trying to drive me crazy- that's just the way it's working.

August 2007- Diagnosed with nephrotic syndrome
September 2007- Kidney Biopsy found FSGS
December 15, 2009- Transplant Evaluation
January 7, 2010- I'm on the list!
February 4, 2010- Fistula and PD Catheter Surgery
March 8, 2010- Begin CCPD; My cousin will be my donor in June!
June 22, 2010- I got a kidney from my awesome cousin!
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6
jennyc

First day of school 08'

« Reply #880 on: October 30, 2009, 06:43:03 AM »

One thing though, i just love the open honesty and innocence of children.

I took my son to his swimming lesson tonight and a little girl, maybe 7 at most walked straight up to me, looked quizically at my arm "what's that?" I explained that i'd had surgery and the dr joined the vein to an artery. I showed her the thrill "that's cool! what makes the buzzing?"  a moment later she spurts back "i know its the blood rushing past realy quick!" when she asked what it was for i was slightly troubled how to explain renal failure so i went for the old... part of my body doesn't work properly so the dr needs this to help fix it and i pointed to my kidneys. Tell you, this little one was quick..... "If its not working there (pointing to the kidneys) then why did the put it there (wrist)?" a few adults around us looked horrified for me, you know oh that poor woman how embarrassing for her...
I just love kids, i'd much rather them walking up and asking all the wonderful questions they can think of than a single adult staring at me for an hour. There is no malice or anything from them just pure wonder.

2003 January - acute renal failure
        March/April - Started PD
2009 October - PD failing, First fistula put in.

Cadaveric Transplant 27/1/2010
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #881 on: October 30, 2009, 02:59:51 PM »

Wish we all could see things like a child. What a great conversation!   :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
sumodidit

gotta do it!!

« Reply #882 on: October 30, 2009, 09:27:06 PM »

The worst thing somebody told me is that when I asked my friend about this lady I like he replied "she would never date somebody like you" and I was like why " because she is beautiful and successful and you are a dialysis patient with no job...etc,etc and she can have any guy she wants why should she ever choose you!" After he told me that I was like WTF? In all respects it motivated me to try and speak and develop a friendship and I've asked her out a few times with not a "no" but an excuse on why she cant go....she has a boyfriend so I have to wait and see but overall I think I might have a chance and plus I'm pretty persistent!!
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #883 on: November 07, 2009, 04:45:49 AM »

I am sorry but your "friend" is also a jerk, I mean who would ever say that to someone that you could tell was sick...

http://www.kimhoben.com
pamster42000

« Reply #884 on: November 08, 2009, 08:10:28 PM »

When my daughter, Sarah was in grade school this one boy called her " diseaser". I never knew about this until later in life. There were probley other instantaces but I'll never know. I just know when I see this boy that is now 27 years old I still have no respect for him.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 08:16:06 PM by pamster42000 » Logged
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #885 on: November 08, 2009, 08:22:48 PM »

I laughed when someone asked me if I had batteries in my fistula and if I had trouble going through security at the airport.  :rofl;

Sico, yes the beer thing is tough. I had this whole conversation with guys at work once about it (and I was trying to not go on about my condition because I don't want this whole charity case complex or anything..) but these guys just wouldn't get it.. specially one guy (a Collingwood supporter, so you'd understand  :rofl;) said oh so you can't have many beers.. so just drink cokes!!! Then when i explained it wasn't so much WHAT it was, but how MUCH I still don't think he got it..... Still the boss understands that when I have a vodka at lunch(when we go to the pub) it's not because I want to get more pissed than the beer drinkers!  :rofl;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
sico

wheres my bike gone?

« Reply #886 on: November 09, 2009, 02:38:25 AM »

Sico, yes the beer thing is tough. I had this whole conversation with guys at work once about it (and I was trying to not go on about my condition because I don't want this whole charity case complex or anything..) but these guys just wouldn't get it.. specially one guy (a Collingwood supporter, so you'd understand  :rofl;) said oh so you can't have many beers.. so just drink cokes!!! Then when i explained it wasn't so much WHAT it was, but how MUCH I still don't think he got it..... Still the boss understands that when I have a vodka at lunch(when we go to the pub) it's not because I want to get more pissed than the beer drinkers!  :rofl;

Yeah Richard i really have to stress it's not what i drink but total volume of anything liquid.
Some people with functioning kidneys will never understand.
One of my mates actually said to me "can't ya just drink through it". He's answer to everything is another beer though.  :Kit n Stik;
And no he ain't a Collingwood supporter.

Brad      "Got myself a one way ticket, going the wrong way" - Bon Scott

6/11/08 diagnosed with ESRF, dialysis that day

HD and PD

8th of April 2010 Live kidney transplant from my father.
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #887 on: November 10, 2009, 02:00:40 PM »

When I was in hospital recently a doctor (not a renal doctor or I'd have reported him) said "Now, you do PD is that right".  I dutifully said yes "How long since you last dialysed?" I looked at him for a moment wondering if he was serious, and one of the other doctors said - no - it's PD she'll be doing it all the time".
AND, yesterday at the dentist (who, to be fair knows I am sick, but probably not that I'm on dialysis) said 'do you ever have a dry mouth?'.  Not his fault really, but it did make me giggle.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
MissyKew

« Reply #888 on: November 15, 2009, 04:36:41 PM »

Pamster, I dealt with asthma when I was a kid.  I had a neighbor kid tell me that their perents said they couldn't play with me cause I was catchy.

Last night I went to the ER to placate mom on my BP.  the nurse there told me to drink plenty of fluids.  I just told her I couldn't, I am on dialysis.  She said...Oh, yeah.....  If only....
whiskeyfrank

« Reply #889 on: November 16, 2009, 05:15:41 AM »

last week i attended an access clinic and was asked when i turned up for blood tests and sample urine.

When i told the receptionist that i had no kidneys, so no urine test, she said "if you dont give a urine test i cant book you in, so go and have a drink and wait and see what happens"

I just couldn't help myself and said "what do you reccomend i drink for my kidneys to grow back" :rofl;

PKD - diagnosed 1986
Fistula added July 2009
Bilateral Nephrectomy Oct 2009
Fistula Failed Oct 2009
HD started Oct 2009
Live donor from mum Jan 4th 2010
mum and me both great

Started a blog on my condition from stable now to Living Donor transplant (hopefully)

My Blog - http://pkddiary.blogspot.com/
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #890 on: November 16, 2009, 02:10:58 PM »

"what do you reccomend i drink for my kidneys to grow back" :rofl;

Classic!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #891 on: November 16, 2009, 04:11:15 PM »

"what do you reccomend i drink for my kidneys to grow back" :rofl;

Classic!
:rofl; Whiskey, Frank

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
sumodidit

gotta do it!!

« Reply #892 on: November 16, 2009, 08:56:17 PM »

it is funny to see the many levels of ignorance people will show with or without paying attention on whats going on!
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #893 on: November 17, 2009, 02:59:19 AM »

And this was in a clinic where you went to talk about a fistula? 

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #894 on: November 17, 2009, 04:33:58 AM »

Was she blonde?

Aren't you glad she was only the receptionist?

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
cherpep

« Reply #895 on: November 17, 2009, 10:34:24 AM »

Every time I go in for access repair surgery, and the nurse checks me in - they always ask for a urine sample.  I always reply - well, if you want a urine sample, then you guys are gonna have to perform a much more major surgery, chuckle, chuckle. 
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #896 on: November 17, 2009, 11:53:13 AM »

Was she blonde?

No Dan, not blonde, probably just old!!!  (I'm just yanking your chain by the way  and defending my blondeness which is also aging as we speak.  LOL)

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #897 on: November 17, 2009, 12:15:57 PM »

Touche....  Blonde jokes are funnier than old jokes...lol   Or perhaps that depends on whether you are blonde or old!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 12:25:55 PM by dwcrawford » Logged

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #898 on: November 17, 2009, 02:16:26 PM »

My neice (who is a brunette) used to make up her own blond(e) jokes but they usually featured guys, unless of course other body bits were important identifiers of gender.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #899 on: November 17, 2009, 03:56:01 PM »

Was she blonde?

No Dan, not blonde, probably just old!!!  (I'm just yanking your chain by the way  and defending my blondeness which is also aging as we speak.  LOL)

I'm defending my blondeness too Dan!!!  Watch what you are saying or Monrien and I will gang up on you!!  (Just joking) LOL!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »