I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 07:25:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 464204 times)
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #900 on: November 17, 2009, 03:58:56 PM »

I give up... Hey, that's just an "ignorant thing I just said"...

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #901 on: November 17, 2009, 09:50:43 PM »

My poor hubby wants to take the doc "on" because he just can't fix me...... I think he now finally gets it ... I can't be fixed just assisted to feel better. He wanted me to see another doc... heheheheh

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
javaseuf

« Reply #902 on: November 17, 2009, 09:54:18 PM »

I haven't had any negative comments about the decision to administer dialysis to our disabled daughter until I joined here.
 :sir ken; and this has got to be one of the most pertinant Smileys I have found in response to those ignorant comments.
Geesh. Only here a few days. Could be I came to the wrong place.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 11:59:37 AM by javaseuf » Logged

Steve, for my daughter Jennifer
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #903 on: November 18, 2009, 07:05:36 AM »

I think your sincere and moving post regarding your daughter may have temporarily removed the spotlight from some very needy people.  Hopefully we can all add a little more Decorum  to our posts. 

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #904 on: November 18, 2009, 01:35:16 PM »

My "Top Two" from the last few months -

First runner up was the surgeon I talked to after the first 3 weeks of no food or water, only IV nutrition.  She asked if I had any appetite.  I said yes, I was constantly hungry and my stomach growled all the time, to the point that the hunger kept me awake without the pain pills I took to knock me out enough to sleep.  Her response?  "Oh, that's wonderful!"  Okay, I know having an appetite is a sign of good health, but what's wonderful about being miserable?!

First place goes to the resident who came to see me after I was starting to recover from the last revision surgery.  He was born and raised in Japan, a culture that apparently is a bit more direct during conversation than the typical American expects.  His greeting to me - "You are looking much better now.  None of the surgical team thought you were going to make it."  Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence!  I hadn't at that point realized how close to death I had been - after all, I was unconcious for that part!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #905 on: November 18, 2009, 01:42:47 PM »

I'm glad you proved them wrong!

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #906 on: November 18, 2009, 01:53:01 PM »

My "Top Two" from the last few months -

First runner up was the surgeon I talked to after the first 3 weeks of no food or water, only IV nutrition.  She asked if I had any appetite.  I said yes, I was constantly hungry and my stomach growled all the time, to the point that the hunger kept me awake without the pain pills I took to knock me out enough to sleep.  Her response?  "Oh, that's wonderful!"  Okay, I know having an appetite is a sign of good health, but what's wonderful about being miserable?!

First place goes to the resident who came to see me after I was starting to recover from the last revision surgery.  He was born and raised in Japan, a culture that apparently is a bit more direct during conversation than the typical American expects.  His greeting to me - "You are looking much better now.  None of the surgical team thought you were going to make it."  Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence!  I hadn't at that point realized how close to death I had been - after all, I was unconcious for that part!

Oh JBeany - I am laughing reading this - I'm sorry!!  I had lots of doctors when I was sick come to talk to me, and they'd look at my notes and look at me, and look at my notes and look at me then they'd say "Wow, you look amazing compared to what's down here!"  Ha ha ha ha.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #907 on: November 19, 2009, 12:38:52 AM »

I haven't had any negative comments about the decision to administer dialysis to our disabled daughter until I joined here.
 :sir ken;

That is the reason this post was started, I think.... so that everyone can reallise..... the things people say are from ignorance and not vindictiveness...... No one knows ones circumstances.

You hang on to you lovable, wonderfull and very special daughter.....   
hugs

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
cherpep

« Reply #908 on: November 19, 2009, 08:54:52 AM »

Within the past couple of months, I have undergone 2 revision surgeries to my graft, each within 3 weeks of each other.  I had one 3 months before that, and another 3 months before that one....  Obviously, I'm tired and frustrated with the surgeries, but doing what I have to do.  My mother called me a couple of weeks ago to see how I was doing.  She asked me if I was going to schedule a kidney transplant within the next year.  LOL!!  Yeah - that's all I need to do, schedule it!  Why didn't I think of that?

Anyhow, I explained to her for the millionth time that I was not eligible yet for the transplant and gave her a brief list of the reasons (lose 40 lbs, dental work, yadayadayadayada).  Not only does she not hear me, but she just thinks I'm being stubborn in not getting a transplant.  Geesh!  Then, she asked me - "Well, how much longer can you do this?" ('this'  - being dialyis).  How does one answer that?  I just told her, I don't know, as long as God is willing.  It's not like I have a choice!!  Well, I guess I do, but the only alternative is death, which I'm not ready for yet.  Seriously, how do you answer that question?  The question really upset me, because it's a question I'm faced with every day, but don't want to answer.    My hubby, who doesn't like it when my mom upsets me told me I should have just answered - 63 days, and that's it! 
javaseuf

« Reply #909 on: November 19, 2009, 12:03:37 PM »

:sir ken;

That is the reason this post was started, I think.... so that everyone can reallise..... the things people say are from ignorance and not vindictiveness......
No one knows ones circumstances.

You hang on to you lovable, wonderfull and very special daughter.....   
hugs

"No one knows ones circumstances".

And this is exactally why one should be sure their brain is in gear before opening their pie-hole.

Thanks, Sir Ken!

Steve, for my daughter Jennifer
RedMist

I see your point. Now what?

« Reply #910 on: November 19, 2009, 05:57:37 PM »

Greeting Javaseuf,

I'm real new to this site too.  I'm very sorry about the mixed reception you got.

The stupidest thing ever said to me was about a month ago.  My nephrologist responded to my request for help with  finding information on all aspects of dialysis was "Journal articles are for us not you!  Go to Kidneypatient.com".

This Monday I meet my new nephrologist.

Joe, disgruntled cat.

Red Mist

One's friends are that part of the human race with which one can be human.
Brightsky69

« Reply #911 on: November 21, 2009, 07:11:04 PM »

My mom was over the other day. She gave me a kidney over 17 years ago.
She walked into my bedroom and saw all my Baxter supplies and asked me "Whats all that for??"  I'll give you one guess mom. ::)

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #912 on: November 22, 2009, 01:57:33 AM »

Javaseuf, I am sooo sorry that you feel that way, but I do understand. Whatever you decide to do, remember that you and your family will always be in our hearts and prayers. You are wonderful and amazing parents. You dont need any one to tell you what to do, but we are here just to listen if you need to rant, or have a really bad day. Or to cheer you on when you have a good one.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
sumodidit

gotta do it!!

« Reply #913 on: November 25, 2009, 10:09:27 PM »

:Kit n Stik;
sumodidit

gotta do it!!

« Reply #914 on: November 25, 2009, 10:14:27 PM »

:Kit n Stik;
My head nephrologist said I should get a transplant so we can see what happens and observe like a guinea pig. Two years ago he said that I had no chance for transplant. I double check with the doctor that cares about me and he said that I have a 5% success rate and he does not recommend transplant. I wanna invent something called the "SLAPPER" and smack the crap outta my head nephrologist use me as a guinea pig.......NO WAY BUDDY!! I feel like a piece of meat ready to get cut up after that!!
girliekick

« Reply #915 on: November 27, 2009, 02:34:07 AM »

omg. 'what  is up w that doc?'

-Christmas '03 get news of esrd
-June '08 start hemo
-Thanksgiving '08 pd surg
-Feb '09 Stop hemo and manual exchanges
... start cycler
Setp 3 '09 On UNOS list (27th b day)
Dec 09 peritonitis
fc2821
Elite Member

Just another hamster on the dialysis W.O.F.

« Reply #916 on: November 30, 2009, 11:51:10 AM »

Have to vent. I  have taken a lot of pride in the fact that I can walk again after being told after my accident that I would not be able to.  I get around with difficulty but I do so because I prefer the freedom I have.  At dialysis Saturday, when I was preparing to leave the clinic, a tech who was helping me get up from the chair said, "Do you have a wheelchair at home? Why don't you use it instead of going to all this effort to walk, it would be so much easier."  All I could think of to say, at the time, was "The effort is worth it, to me."

In center hemo dialysis since Feb 14, 2007. 

If I could type properly, I'd be dangerous!

You may be only one person in the universe but you may mean the the universe to someone else.
pamster42000

« Reply #917 on: November 30, 2009, 04:44:05 PM »

It's rather sad that the tech even said that to you. Maybe the tech was just thinking about himself and it's just easier for him if you used a wheelchair. Keep up the good work and walk every chance you get!
sico

wheres my bike gone?

« Reply #918 on: December 01, 2009, 04:00:16 AM »

Within the past couple of months, I have undergone 2 revision surgeries to my graft, each within 3 weeks of each other.  I had one 3 months before that, and another 3 months before that one....  Obviously, I'm tired and frustrated with the surgeries, but doing what I have to do.  My mother called me a couple of weeks ago to see how I was doing.  She asked me if I was going to schedule a kidney transplant within the next year.  LOL!!  Yeah - that's all I need to do, schedule it!  Why didn't I think of that?

Anyhow, I explained to her for the millionth time that I was not eligible yet for the transplant and gave her a brief list of the reasons (lose 40 lbs, dental work, yadayadayadayada).  Not only does she not hear me, but she just thinks I'm being stubborn in not getting a transplant.  Geesh!  Then, she asked me - "Well, how much longer can you do this?" ('this'  - being dialyis).  How does one answer that?  I just told her, I don't know, as long as God is willing.  It's not like I have a choice!!  Well, I guess I do, but the only alternative is death, which I'm not ready for yet.  Seriously, how do you answer that question?  The question really upset me, because it's a question I'm faced with every day, but don't want to answer.    My hubby, who doesn't like it when my mom upsets me told me I should have just answered - 63 days, and that's it!

Just schedule a transplant!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

You must be so sick of explaining to your mum why you aren't on the waiting list yet.
If i have to repeat myself a few times and still get asked stupid questions, i give stupid answers. :2thumbsup;

Brad      "Got myself a one way ticket, going the wrong way" - Bon Scott

6/11/08 diagnosed with ESRF, dialysis that day

HD and PD

8th of April 2010 Live kidney transplant from my father.
fc2821
Elite Member

« Reply #919 on: December 01, 2009, 11:55:03 AM »

It's rather sad that the tech even said that to you. Maybe the tech was just thinking about himself and it's just easier for him if you used a wheelchair. Keep up the good work and walk every chance you get!
Thanks for the comment. It was a woman,and she didn' have to help me up but was tring to be helpful.
  I was concerned about posting this as it wasn't directly associated to dialysis.

You may be only one person in the universe but you may mean the the universe to someone else.
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #920 on: December 07, 2009, 10:43:11 AM »

I'm a wheelchair user... I was ringing around dentists surgeries to find a practioner... One receptionist said "Yes, of course we're Wheelchair Accessible. Would you like me to book you an appointment???"... I was delighted, and answered in the affirmative...

On the morning of my appointment, I rolled in the door and to reception... After going through the paperwork she told me to "take a seat"... Couldn't resist answering "I have one"... Anyway, once everyone in the room stopped laughing she said "The dentist will call you upstairs shortly"... I looked at her and asked where the lift is... She said "We don't have one"... I replied "But when I spoke to you over the phone, you said that you're Wheelchair Accessible"...

Folks, I tell you no word of a lie, she replied in total seriousness "We ARE Wheelchair Accessible. You got in here didn't you???"...  :urcrazy;

I won't tell you what my reply was... Not repeatable in polite company!...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
fc2821
Elite Member

« Reply #921 on: December 07, 2009, 10:57:58 AM »

What a dolt, the receptionist that is.  I can't walk up stairs, my ankles don't work and even if they did it would still be hard.  So, I have to take the ramps and elevators  (or lifts) too.  Hope you are able to find a place that fits your needs.     

Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #922 on: December 07, 2009, 11:02:01 AM »

Thanks Fc....

Thankfully, I'm now a patient at the Dublin Dental School and Hospital now... Never been happier!...

Oh and before anybody asks, yes, the receptionist WAS blonde!...Sorry Blondes!.... ;D

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
karen547

« Reply #923 on: December 07, 2009, 11:32:46 AM »

Today was a good one! I got a phone call from one of my co-workers asking if I could fill in for them today. I tell him ''no I have dialysis today at 3. His reply was this-- ''yeah, im sure ya do.'' He doesnt know about my dialysis yet but i mean why would someone make up an excuse like that to get out of work????
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #924 on: January 14, 2010, 07:08:08 AM »

Wednesday night I went to a ministry meeting at church.  As I was walking in I met up with another church member.  She turned to me and said that she did not expect me to be at the meeting as she thought I would be getting a new kidney by now.  I told her that the my transplant center said the average wait for O neg was 7 years.  (besides the fact that I am not even on the list yet)
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »