I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 09:31:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 464221 times)
Mizar

« Reply #950 on: April 14, 2010, 03:32:32 PM »

I will never forget this One. My Husband, has always, been a Thin Man. Top Weight, maybe, 138. He became Sick, very Suddenly and Stopped Eating. When He was Rushed, to a Large University Hospital, Two Weeks, later, in complete, Kidney Failure, I was Met outside the ICU, Room, by Two very Prominent, Neph Drs.
The first thing, they said, to Me was, " Your Husband, is so Thin, Do You ever Cook for Him?" ---------  What? No, Doctor, in Forty Years of Marriage, it never Occured, to Me, to make Him a Meal.
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #951 on: April 14, 2010, 06:33:23 PM »

Not quite said to me but,

I'm sitting down with my walking stick looking a bit puffed out. My wife, who is standing beside me is asked 'does he take sugar in his tea?'  :banghead;

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #952 on: April 16, 2010, 12:21:47 PM »

So today I was assisting in a warehouse stocktake at my work. I had to leave at 4pm to go to D.... so I overheard one of the other ladies say.... " she will use any excuse not to work late like the rest of us."

I just left. She can do my D session and I will work late.  :rofl;

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #953 on: April 16, 2010, 01:11:28 PM »

Said to me the other day by the transplant co-ordinator ..with a bp like that we wouldnt touch you with a barge pole ..it may be true but i sometimes wonder if they are tripping and just see a BIG number stood in front of them  :rofl; because they sure dont see a person !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
rockhounds

« Reply #954 on: April 16, 2010, 11:45:48 PM »

A couple weeks ago my husband and I were talking to his neph about his 'emergency kit' - it has one dose of fortaz and one dose of vanco in it.  The last time we left town he had gotten peritonitis, and we had a total nightmare getting health care (really long story - the bug was identified within 24 hours, but it literally took 6 days to get the additional antibiotics he needed - got it just in the nick of time), so we were asking about getting a couple of extra doses so that if that ever happened again it wouldn't be such a disaster.  He said no.  We said - what are we supposed to do if he gets sick?  He said "Don't get sick".  Uh huh.  So when he got peritontis it was because our trip was so boring he thought, hmm... let's make this more exciting!  How about something fun, like peritonitis? 

Well, that was how silly we thought that response was then.  And then we recently found out the peritonitis he had gotten on our trip never went away, so when we were standing in front of him and he said "Don't get sick", he was actually telling that to someone that currently had peritonits no one knew about.  Because no one ever checked to be sure it was gone the first time.   ???
bdpoe

« Reply #955 on: April 17, 2010, 05:17:14 PM »

Somebody said what did you do to your arm and I told them, " I was getting crazy with
the needle trying to fix."  Now they think I'm a junkie. ( Actually I've always been more than
a terrified with needles and could never inject myself ) But that's one way to get Street Cred with the low lifes.....

When a co-worker saw the scars on my arm from the graft and then the fistula one day she asked me if I had tried to kill myself.  I wanted to just say yes!
tito

« Reply #956 on: April 18, 2010, 12:20:14 PM »

I'm a high school teacher in the suburbs of Boston (let's not go there as far as why I struggle trying to teach kids who have zero interest in learning).

I struggle with PD and AVN, hobbling around as best I can, but I have a  better attendance record than most of the twenty-somethings I work with. Our 26-year old lead teacher just took medical leave for the rest of the year for no known reason. People surmise she's had a breakdown.

We just finished parent conferences. One parent started grilling me about my teaching methods and she asked whether I fall asleep in class (No way! What does she think, the kids come in, I shut the lights off and snooze?) Some kids have obviously been making things up.

So, at the end of the conference she said she was sorry about my health, but the parents wanted healthy teachers!!!

Oh, and at the very moment she said that, my wife was seeing an oncologist about her recently diagnosed lymphoma. I wanted to smack that parent across the face.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #957 on: April 18, 2010, 01:56:26 PM »

Some people say the most stupid, and offensive things..... I got the following comment......

I'm a wheelchair user, and was on the tram one day, chatting with and having a laugh with another passenger.....

A guy I'd never seen in my life came up to me and said "Well Love... It's great to see you people happy... If I ended up as a cripple, I'd lock myself away from normal people".....

I couldn't resist smiling my sweetest smile and saying "Why wait???"...

Oh, man, I hope karma bites that one in the butt very, very soon!  He reminds of the idiot I knew in college who told me I shouldn't be allowed to have kids because I had a genetic disorder that could be passed along.  (I'm a juvenile diabetic.)  I asked him if he intended to have a complete genetic scan before he had kids, and he said he didn't need to because he was healthy. Duh!  Doesn't mean your genes are - he was a chem major, but apparently the lecture on recessive DNA didn't take.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

SkyDancer

« Reply #958 on: April 18, 2010, 03:30:56 PM »

One of the techs told mom"It hurts me just as much as it hurts you."Mom replied," Bullsh*t, why don't you sit in this chair and let me stick you!"

My experience was this:I had to take mom to a different clinic because her's had water problems.I dropped her off and sat in the lobby. ( I wasn't familiar with the town to drive around in.) As I'm sitting there two women walk in and proceed to talk about me as if I can't hear them.The one finally asked" Did you bring someone here for dialysis?" I politely replied that I had,but thought to myself " Gee,no, I just came in here to sit on a hard chair for 4 hours and look at these 5 year old magazines".DUH!
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #959 on: April 18, 2010, 08:48:06 PM »

I just thought of a comeback to the idiots that think you just can get a kidney transplant overnight:

"Well I went to Best Buy but they were out of stock. Said they might have some in in 4-5 years..."

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #960 on: May 22, 2010, 10:10:29 AM »

:bump;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Henry P Snicklesnorter

« Reply #961 on: May 22, 2010, 12:32:08 PM »

« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 04:57:22 PM by Henry P Snicklesnorter » Logged
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #962 on: May 22, 2010, 06:13:31 PM »

I'd have paid money to watch that show, Henry!  I hate when people use the excuse that they are too smart to be polite.  Anyone that "brilliant" should be smart enough to know better!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #963 on: May 22, 2010, 08:23:37 PM »

I've got the winner, unless someone else already was told this:

"God is punishing you for being a sinner."
Henry P Snicklesnorter

« Reply #964 on: May 23, 2010, 12:35:55 AM »

« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 04:52:06 PM by Henry P Snicklesnorter » Logged
The Noob

« Reply #965 on: May 28, 2010, 09:34:38 AM »

yall are just HOOTS!!! i am laughing myself silly..

when DH was in hospital first time, on various drugs, pain, blood TX's, etc, a few of his co workers did come in to see him, with the question: when ya coming back to work?
(paramedic 24 hr shifts).

my mom a nurse says its because he smokes half a pak of cigs a day.

his parents came the first go-round, sat for hours detailing all thiers and others horror stories of surgies, etc, the day before he had surgery. and he had a rough time of it.
when i said no visitors for 2 days post op, they called every 3 mins and had family sneak in room when i wasn't there, lay on the guilt about no visitors, upset him enough so he was crying/coughing and had to be drained and cleaned with blood everywhere.
to top this off, his mother faked a heart attack. we didn't know. i'm bringing him back in wheelchair at 2 am from a smoke. they see us coming in, they are leaving ER, come up and attack us with the loud whine "SHE COULD HAVE DIED"..
(histrionic mother)

i get so sick of the "your all better now and going back to work?"
sumodidit

gotta do it!!

« Reply #966 on: May 30, 2010, 09:01:10 PM »

The worst thing, that I get now is that people tend to judge me, when they see my fistula scars, they look at me like i'm a crackhead and treat me funny. What makes it so bad that it happens on a daily basis
totosidney

« Reply #967 on: June 03, 2010, 01:17:55 PM »

One day at a time.
You look great.
We are praying for you.
My _______  (fill in the blank) was on dialysis and died a 6 months later.
Does that mean your shit will drain into a bag?
The Noob

« Reply #968 on: June 03, 2010, 02:01:44 PM »

LOL you all hoots!
 :Kit n Stik; :banghead; :bandance;
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #969 on: June 03, 2010, 02:33:37 PM »

This isn't that big of a deal, and I'm sure people say this stuff to be encouraging, but it still really gets up my nose.  As y'all know, I'm getting all of my transplant evaluation testing done, so that means I am coming into contact with a lot of medical types, mostly techs at this point.  Before each test, I explain why I am having this procedure done...that my kidneys are failing and that I am trying to get on the transplant list (I don't offer this information; they ask me if I've had this or that symptom, and I reply, "No, I'm just trying to get on the transplant list, blah de blah."  It has been a hard time for me, and having to get the tests done and also having to even talk about it doesn't make me jump for joy, so I imagine I sound anxious and upset as I explain for the umpteenth time that I'm hoping to get on the list.  Most people start asking questions, mostly about whether or not I have a donor (no, I don't), and inevitably they'll proclaim, "You'll get a kidney really soon."  Like they know something I don't.  Like that makes me feel really confident.  Like if they say it, it must be true.  Like I'm gonna believe them...  Why do people say that?  I would NEVER say to someone who has, say, cancer, "Oh, you'll be fine!" unless I had real evidence that that would be true.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 02:34:56 PM by MooseMom » Logged

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #970 on: June 03, 2010, 03:01:19 PM »

HENRY P SNICKLESNORTER or Snorts for short ..you are my kind of guy  :clap;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
sumodidit

gotta do it!!

« Reply #971 on: June 03, 2010, 03:45:04 PM »

I had the craziest conversation yesterday. she says: If you dont have any kidneys you would be dead. I respond:  I am on dialysis, she says: what's dialysis?, I respond: dont you work in a hospital? she says: yes I do, I respond: SMH you do and explain what dialysis is, the look on her face was priceless!! what an idiot!!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #972 on: June 03, 2010, 04:50:43 PM »

I had the craziest conversation yesterday. she says: If you dont have any kidneys you would be dead. I respond:  I am on dialysis, she says: what's dialysis?, I respond: dont you work in a hospital? she says: yes I do, I respond: SMH you do and explain what dialysis is, the look on her face was priceless!! what an idiot!!

OMG, that's so bizarre!  I'm sorry, but this just made me laugh. :rofl;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #973 on: June 03, 2010, 06:38:30 PM »

What is SMH?    ???

I hate all these acronyms!             :stressed;

YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #974 on: June 03, 2010, 07:35:24 PM »

I get, more often than you would think,: Your kidneys, really?  From drinking too much alcohol huh. Nope, sorry. That would be your liver. My liver is fine ty.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »