I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 09:25:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 464211 times)
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #825 on: September 13, 2009, 11:26:46 AM »

Oh, now that comes across so much nicer. What a caring lady. She must have seen right through your "ugly" exterior to the beautiful person inside.  :thumbup;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #826 on: September 13, 2009, 03:31:07 PM »

"You look like you feel really bad today", said to my brother at Panera shortly after a quick trip outside to lose his breakfast.

A. No he didn't look like he was feeling really bad.
B. What does one say to that - I am, thanks for noticing. I'm not, but thanks for letting me know I look like that. (There's always my answer - Go **** yourself, but my brother is vastly nicer than me :angel;.)

:bow;

Had nurses tell me that, send me home then have me come in the next day to have me admitted to the hospital. Gee thanks for that real concern, could have told you that without waiting for a blood test. Transplant Clinic sure doesn't get the cream of the crop of RN's!

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Goofy

« Reply #827 on: September 13, 2009, 04:08:22 PM »

My in-laws go to some goofy "doctor" that can diagnose and heal you through "touch" (and some very costly vitamins).  I think they are all crazy.  Just yesterday day she said it was too bad I didn't believe in Doc Merdoc because he could cure my kidney failure.

So if "doc" is some type of miracle worker then why does her husband still have diabetes, her grandson have cerebral palsy , her daughter have seizures and my sister-in-law still have problems with vertigo????????
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #828 on: September 13, 2009, 04:14:28 PM »

Thie is only my personal opinion:

But Goofy, these kinds of goofy "doctors" are really called "charlatans" and probably less goofy than criminal.

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
marti824

« Reply #829 on: September 13, 2009, 05:22:26 PM »

I almost hate it more when they say, "well, you look pretty good." maybe i should always look like death warmed over, right?
LightLizard

« Reply #830 on: September 13, 2009, 05:42:14 PM »

My in-laws go to some goofy "doctor" that can diagnose and heal you through "touch" (and some very costly vitamins).  I think they are all crazy.  Just yesterday day she said it was too bad I didn't believe in Doc Merdoc because he could cure my kidney failure.

So if "doc" is some type of miracle worker then why does her husband still have diabetes, her grandson have cerebral palsy , her daughter have seizures and my sister-in-law still have problems with vertigo????????

i'm so sick and tired of these 'we create our own reality' jerks. :Kit n Stik;
they're all so 'spiritual' until THEY get sick. tell them that there has never been a case of kidney disease cured by ANYONE, ANYWHERE, EVER.

i had a cute conversation with my neph's secretary. she's also a nurse, of sorts... ;)
i had called his office to ask if he would consider changing my blood pressure meds to another product beause the one he had me on dried out my lungs and made me very sick when i contracted a serious flu. i'm certain it was the swine flu, but never did get it diagnosed. all the symptoms were there and it lasted for a month, taking two weeks of antibiotics before i was feeling that i might survive it. anyway, i told her i had been researching 'atacand' - the med they had me on. i also expressed a concern for my residual kidney function and asked he if she knew if the atacand had any detrimental effect on that.
she replied, 'we really aren't that concerned with residual kidney function, once you're on dialysis.'
i'm glad i was on the phone and not face to face with her. i wanted to ask if she would be concerned if they were HER kidneys?
 :boxing;

the comment was doubly troubling beause when i was on hemo, the big 'selling' point to getting me to switch to P/D was 'P/D helps to maintain residual kidney function longer than hemo does...'
it seem that once they have you where they want you, their concern diminishes rapidly.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 10:02:40 AM by LightLizard » Logged
Brightsky69

« Reply #831 on: September 14, 2009, 10:17:41 AM »

Ok...I have a couple for you. The other day I went to my PCD because i wasn't sleeping at all. She gave me some Ambeien. Anyway...when i first went into the exam room one of her nurses came in and took BP and all that stuff. She was asking me what was wrong and i told her I wasn't sellping...then I told her I am still on dialysis and she siad "Really??? Why don't you just get a new kidney??"  Why didn't I think of that??? Just go get a new kidney.  LOL

I think she ment to say 'Are you on the transplant list to get a new kidney'

Also here at work i was in the break room complaining of being a little tried....my co-worker (who nows about my dialysis) said "Yeah....you do look a little yellow today."  Lordy!!!!

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
Everlasting

our community

« Reply #832 on: September 14, 2009, 10:30:38 AM »

Like yourself I am a wheelchair user however I cannot speak from your seat as I am only an advocate for my partner who is waiting for transplant.  It is our hope that should he have to go the dialysis route first that I can be the careprovider for his at-home dialysis.  It is amazing when I reflect at the comments that have been made by physicians when my role of being a caregiver comes up.  It hurts to the core.  They have a way of making my ability challenges into disabilities!
    I have also been denied the privilege of being the kidney donor --- due to the fact that I have a bleeding disorder - one that is not life threatening and with the right chemicals re-operatively it would not present a problem.  This development has also been a burr under my saddle as I so much want to be the donor.  Again - the sensitivity of the process has found another sore spot.
     Another physician refused to support my wishes as a donor on the basis that the surgery would set me physically back for many months.  She was of the opinon that the nephrectomy would be the radical approach and as much as referred to my lack of scope of the subject.  She insisted only the removal of the diseased kidney would be by the laparoscopic approach...and that I should do my homework before offering a major organ !! It hurts!!!  In essence she is the one in need of information.
Everlasting
Brightsky69

« Reply #833 on: September 14, 2009, 10:37:59 AM »

I cannot type today for some reason.  ::)

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
Everlasting

our community

« Reply #834 on: September 14, 2009, 11:10:11 AM »

"You live to exist not exist to live!"....said by an occupational therapist!
Everlasting
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #835 on: September 14, 2009, 01:32:33 PM »

Everlasting, I hope you said something to that doc regarding that remark. She needs some  :Kit n Stik; or  :banghead; sense into her.

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Des
Elite Member

« Reply #836 on: September 14, 2009, 11:12:17 PM »

OH! now that got my feathers ruffled........... Now I have found another cure (besides sauna's :)) have a Ozone bubble bath people!!

What if I brought the Ozone Bubble Bath into the sauna? 
Think about it

Brilliant!!!!!! I didn't think of that!

heheheheheh

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #837 on: September 15, 2009, 09:19:13 AM »

My mother is one of those natural health people and she said the I have not gotten better from my kidney failure because I don't truly believe that it's possible to heal completely.  WTF?  I love my mom dearly, but she's not a doctor and kidney failure is not something you can 'think and believe' your way out of.

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
LightLizard

« Reply #838 on: September 15, 2009, 09:28:48 AM »

My mother is one of those natural health people and she said the I have not gotten better from my kidney failure because I don't truly believe that it's possible to heal completely.  WTF?  I love my mom dearly, but she's not a doctor and kidney failure is not something you can 'think and believe' your way out of.

denial comes in many forms.
ryosaki

« Reply #839 on: September 15, 2009, 10:59:56 AM »

I had applied for work and requested that I work indoors during summer because of the fluid restriction....one of the other employees turned and said, "it can't be that bad, it's not like it cancer or something". I didn't know what to say.
ryosaki

« Reply #840 on: September 15, 2009, 11:06:47 AM »

Or this classic....: I know what your going through"
tweetyas

« Reply #841 on: September 15, 2009, 04:29:56 PM »

im 30 yrs old but im disabled so i have a disability placard and one day i parked in a handicap stall put my placcard up and this man told me he was going to call the police because i wasnt really handicap!!! i was so shocked i couldnt respond to him. i may look healthy but people dont know whats goin on with us on the inside..
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #842 on: September 15, 2009, 04:37:31 PM »

That's when you whip out your fistula and buzz him with it.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #843 on: September 15, 2009, 04:56:35 PM »

That's when you whip out your fistula and buzz him with it.

:rofl;  :rofl;

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #844 on: September 15, 2009, 05:00:16 PM »

My  fistula doesn't buzz.  Does that mean its not  yet ripe?

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #845 on: September 15, 2009, 06:04:44 PM »

Listen with a stethescope Dan.  If there's no buzz you need to see your vascular guy/gal.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #846 on: September 15, 2009, 07:59:52 PM »

Ok, that's what you mean?  I can hear it if I kind of put my head close to it.  First I couldn't figure out what it was.  Just had it looked at Thursday cause they couldnt "stick" (somebody teach me to spell cannulate.  its not in spell check)  it right all the time.  They say it is perfect and everybody got yelled at.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #847 on: September 15, 2009, 08:08:18 PM »

Some techs if you ask them will let you use their stethescope to hear your fistula along with teaching you something. I ended up buying my own stethescope for the heck of it.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #848 on: September 15, 2009, 08:10:27 PM »

I was given a plastic stethoscope by Kaiser once after graft surgery.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #849 on: September 15, 2009, 08:21:01 PM »

I couldn't believe what they did with that little camera up my veins.  Reminds me what they stuck  up my... in my... oh, forget it.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »