I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 09:19:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 464130 times)
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #625 on: February 26, 2009, 05:36:13 PM »

Today at dialysis, I was about to walk into the clinic, and a young surgeon was sitting right outside the door in the vending area. He asked me if I was on dialysis, then proceeded to say that I was so young to be on dialysis! No, I just routinely walk into the hospital's dialysis unit with a big, fuzzy blanket for shits and giggles.  ::)  Two bonehead statements in 10 seconds!  :banghead;  And this was a surgeon!! I should have said he looked too young to be a surgeon.   >:D

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #626 on: February 26, 2009, 06:34:08 PM »

The things people say just crack me up sometimes!     :rofl;     :sarcasm;

Diagnosed with ESRD-November 2006
I have had 2 fistuals-neither one worked
I have had 2 grafts the last one finally "took"
I had 3 different catheters from Nov. 06 - Dec. 08
Got on the transplant list - Halloween Day 2008

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #627 on: February 27, 2009, 10:57:05 PM »

Do you think he was just a "practicing surgeon"????       :rofl;

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #628 on: February 28, 2009, 07:29:15 PM »

Hmmm...   ::)

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #629 on: February 28, 2009, 10:14:08 PM »

Today at dialysis, I was about to walk into the clinic, and a young surgeon was sitting right outside the door in the vending area. He asked me if I was on dialysis, then proceeded to say that I was so young to be on dialysis! No, I just routinely walk into the hospital's dialysis unit with a big, fuzzy blanket for shits and giggles.  ::)  Two bonehead statements in 10 seconds!  :banghead;  And this was a surgeon!! I should have said he looked too young to be a surgeon.   >:D

Padd, maybe he was the orderly on "Scrubs".    :rofl;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
Jess21

« Reply #630 on: March 03, 2009, 01:55:15 PM »

Transplant coordinator for Wisconsin list conversation
Her: do you have any potential donors?
Me: No
Her: No family?
Me: No it's just me and my mom all my other family is distant cousins for the most part.
Her: Well, how about your mom?
Me: She's over 60, has diabetes and high blood pressure.  Has a few things against her.  :sarcasm;
Her: Oh, well no friends or anyone that has ever offered you a kidney?
Me: Uh, no.  My boyfriend offered but he apparently has some kidney thing that would deny him.
Her: Well, does your extended family know you need a kidney?
Me: yes.
Her: And no one has offered?
Me: No.
**you can here the awkward silence for a few seconds**
Her: Oh.  Well, you're AB+, which means you can accept from anyone!  With a live donor at your age, oh, that would just be so wonderful!  Do you have a facebook account?
Me: ummm...yes?
Her: Put it on your facebook that you need a kidney!  :banghead;

Hospitalized w/ renal failure- Nov. 2007
Diagnosed w/ ESRD w/ unknown cause- Jan 2008
Lower arm AV Fistula created- March 2008
On IL transplant list- Oct. 8th, 2008
On WI transplant list- June 25th, 2009
Pediatric 2 kidney transplant- July 6th, 2009 (3/6 antigen match)
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #631 on: March 03, 2009, 02:31:21 PM »

Oh God....and I'm already depressed today..................geeezzzzz.....poor you....poor all of us.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #632 on: March 03, 2009, 02:45:16 PM »

I met this guy recently.   I was telling him all about my situation - dialysis, etc.   He says he knows why my kidneys failed.   I said that I know why - diabetes and hypertension.  He said (with an air of authority) "No, that is not the reason.  You did not drink enough water!"  

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Brightsky69

« Reply #633 on: March 03, 2009, 03:32:15 PM »

People are stupid.

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #634 on: March 03, 2009, 05:17:18 PM »

Oh, Jess - here, next time take the big stick -  :Kit n Stik;

When you're done, mail it to Bajanne.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

LightLizard

« Reply #635 on: March 03, 2009, 06:17:14 PM »

sometimes i get the feeling that the doctors and nurses don't really know that much about what they are supposed to be doing.
my wife, concerned that my pulse had been riding low for a few days, called the dialysis unit at the clinic. the nurse told her, 'well, you know that athletes have pretty low heart-rates, too.' i would have asked, 'oh, are they on dialysis, too?' but then, i'm just a trouble-maker. heehee
 :boxing;
Jess21

« Reply #636 on: March 03, 2009, 07:52:51 PM »

I met this guy recently.   I was telling him all about my situation - dialysis, etc.   He says he knows why my kidneys failed.   I said that I know why - diabetes and hypertension.  He said (with an air of authority) "No, that is not the reason.  You did not drink enough water!"  
:Kit n Stik; or, "you didn't go to the bathroom enough"
or "drink all of this 64oz drink..that will make you go!"

Hospitalized w/ renal failure- Nov. 2007
Diagnosed w/ ESRD w/ unknown cause- Jan 2008
Lower arm AV Fistula created- March 2008
On IL transplant list- Oct. 8th, 2008
On WI transplant list- June 25th, 2009
Pediatric 2 kidney transplant- July 6th, 2009 (3/6 antigen match)
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #637 on: March 04, 2009, 04:15:01 AM »

Why do they all harp on about a live donor. I get it too. They still ask me about any live donors. After four years do they think I like doing this? That I am hiding all the potential donors?
Don't they realize I would jump at any offers? How about they offer me theirs. I would take it!!    :stressed;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #638 on: March 04, 2009, 10:23:51 AM »

a man came to dialysis today to discuss transplants with each patient -- he told me to fine a living donor -- that is a much better way to go - and if I have a donor and we do not match then get that donor to donate to anyone and I could like trade-off --- I guess
--- he told everyone living donors are the only way to go ???
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #639 on: March 04, 2009, 11:20:49 AM »

Right, 'cause we've all got people lining up around the block to hand out spare parts. . . yeesh!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

LightLizard

« Reply #640 on: March 04, 2009, 11:25:59 AM »

they probably harp on about a live donor because they don't like dealing with cadavers. my neph was showing signs of frustration with my case, one day. i told him to chill out and relax, he's probably going to learn a lot more from my autopsy. he threw up his hands and said, 'hey, i'm not touching you!' nice to feel wanted, hey? :sarcasm;
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #641 on: March 04, 2009, 11:33:58 AM »

Ewww, I'd pass on autopsying someone I knew, too!

paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #642 on: March 04, 2009, 08:52:13 PM »

Yesterday, one of my sister's best friends from when we were young found me on facebook. When she found out I was on dialysis, she told me she hopes I get better soon. Then today, I get a call from a student at the community college where I was going last year. I had received my desktop publishing certification last year and the school has student committee members call people who have earned certificates of their associate degrees and survey them. They ask questions about whether you are working, using the degree, etc. and other related stuff. Well, everything she asked me was a no answer by me since I am not working and am not using the certification. I got tired of all the questions, so I finally told the girl that my kidneys had failed, I was on dialysis. She apologized and said she hoped I would get better soon!

What is it with everyone? Are people that clueless?! I mean, geez, two days in a row!!

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #643 on: March 05, 2009, 01:51:56 AM »

Yes, Yes they are until it hits them. They finally will grasp it in a short time after it affects them. Of course I would have to say to them, How can I get better?

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #644 on: March 05, 2009, 05:37:21 PM »

This obviously wasn't said to me, but I just read it in the newspaper and just had to post it! Read the first paragraph of Abby's response.   :banghead;  Apparently you do not form kidneys until you are older.  :sarcasm;

EARLY SCREENING FOR DISEASE CAN PREVENT KIDNEY FAILURE

DEAR ABBY: I was a healthy 12-year-old girl in junior high, sociable and energetic with no cares in the world, until one day my mother noticed I wasn't my usual self. I was tired and had no interest in any activities. Frustrated, she encouraged me to try out for my school's volleyball team.

What was supposed to be a routine physical for the team turned into a life-changing experience. I did not end up making the team. Instead I was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease. My test results showed that I had too much protein in my urine. After more tests, I was told I was in kidney failure.

I was only 12, and I didn't understand why this was happening to me. Nobody was expecting the news we got that day. The doctors told my parents that I would need to go on dialysis or have a kidney transplant and we should start looking for a donor.

A urine test was never part of any of my annual checkups. But protein in the urine is one of the earliest signs of kidney disease. That simple test might have prevented me from losing both kidneys.

Nearly 100,000 men, women and children are now on the waiting list for a lifesaving organ transplant. One hundred people are added to the list -- and 17 die -- every day. With early detection kidney disease can be prevented. So please urge your readers to get screened now and screened often. -- KLARISSA RAMIREZ, MINNEAPOLIS

DEAR KLARISSA: Thank you for your letter. I was, frankly, shocked to learn from it that kidney disease could strike a person at such a tender age. I'm pleased to pass along your important message.

Readers, March is National Kidney Month -- and March 12 is World Kidney Day. The National Kidney Foundation (NKF) has a screening program called KEEP, which stands for Kidney Early Evaluation Program. On World Kidney Day, KEEP will offer FREE screenings in cities across the country for people at risk for kidney disease.

If you or a family member has diabetes or high blood pressure, or if there is a history of kidney disease in your family, visit kidney.org to learn more and locate a screening near you, or call the National Kidney Foundation at 1-800-622-9010.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:39:43 PM by paddbear0000 » Logged

thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #645 on: March 05, 2009, 05:43:10 PM »

that's one of our biggest problems, a majority of people think kidney disease is an "old peoples" disease.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #646 on: March 05, 2009, 07:27:46 PM »

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about this one! About 3 weeks ago, I saw the nurse practitioner who works for my neph for the first time as she was making the rounds through the dialysis unit. She was asking me about my kidney failure history and I was explaining how the neph I was seeing in Cincinnati wanted me to transfer to her boss since he is in my town and I wouldn't have to drive an hour each way to dialysis. So she then proceeds to ask me if that was a pediatric nephrologist! WTF??!!  :o  I am 31 years old!! Now I know I look young, but good lord. Did she even read my chart?

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #647 on: March 06, 2009, 10:50:09 AM »

That would have been a good opportunity for a smartass comment back. I never get doctors like that yet, just  CNA's in the hospital.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #648 on: March 06, 2009, 01:57:59 PM »

My trouble is that I think of the smart ass comebacks well after the moment has passed.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #649 on: March 06, 2009, 04:53:15 PM »

My trouble is that I think of the smart ass comebacks well after the moment has passed.

Happens to me all the time.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »