I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 12:23:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Ignorant things people have said to you
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ignorant things people have said to you  (Read 463401 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #425 on: March 22, 2008, 06:26:07 PM »

That is why this site was created.  Normal healthy people think we should be "thankful" to be alive.  Well, that works for about a month!  Then death doesn't look so bad!!

We need dialysis, but we can still HATE it.

To me.... acceptance is the last step before death.  I still don't accept this life of dialysis!

Okay, now I need to go take a blood pressure pill!

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #426 on: March 22, 2008, 10:43:04 PM »

If one person walks up to me and says "Oh dialysis is not so bad." I swear  :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; :sir ken; :sir ken;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #427 on: March 23, 2008, 12:26:05 AM »

If one person walks up to me and says "Oh dialysis is not so bad." I swear  :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; :sir ken; :sir ken;

Hmm wouldn't  :sir ken; to throw them off and then  :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; work better. :rofl; :rofl;

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Kitsune

Sometimes the dragon wins.

« Reply #428 on: April 06, 2008, 12:01:39 PM »

It really isn't, according to my sister and stepdad. I mean, I get to sit in a (gross, sweaty Naugahyde) chair for 4 hours and watch (basic) cable TV for four hours a day, 2x a week and I get SSI to do nothing (except get jammed with needles and listen to this one attention whore named Angie who's old enough to be my mother (but acts like she's about 4) sit there laughing, screaming, shrieking, making herself sneeze and carrying on like she's a little child as she presses her buzzer for every stinking thing under the sun). Oh, and we can't forget the humiliating childish pamhlets they hand us featuring cute little cartoony pictures and smiling old people who supposedly love dialysis. Oh yeah, and the humiliating actiities they use to try and make us perfectly compliant little angels: Contests for perfect attendance, where if you go everytime for 3 months, you get a pillcase or something, contests for perfect compliance to the renal diet, where you get some disgusting renal-friendly food in an ugly cheap basket if you follow their diet totally, Like a basket of spaghetti (no sauce, too much potassium), gum, graham crackers, and white bread from the local Aldi's (which I could buy for about $4 if I wanted it.) is going to make me give up the foods I love...Mmmm hmmm, sure whatever you say, freaks.

"Run your mouth when I'm not around
It's easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
Can you hear the violins playing your song?
Those same friends tell me your every word"- Pantera "Walk" (1991)
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #429 on: April 06, 2008, 12:47:13 PM »

Oh, and we can't forget the humiliating childish pamhlets they hand us featuring cute little cartoony pictures and smiling old people who supposedly love dialysis. Oh yeah, and the humiliating actiities they use to try and make us perfectly compliant little angels: Contests for perfect attendance,

I really hated that crap they had and given out. I told the dietician and Social Worker there what I thought about it. A couple people started clapping when I told them what I thought. Then there was the stupid smiley or frown face stickers for lab results. Give me the fricken lab values in real numbers, not kiddie crap!

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #430 on: April 06, 2008, 01:12:29 PM »

we get to play phos. bingo at my unit
Oh, what fun......It sucks and reminds me of teaching children.
coloring contest........ oh yeah....can't wait to do that
when we "play" Bingo the social worker calls out----What number do you need?"
If you want us to play a stupid game at least follow the rules
it was humorous the first time we played Bingo
patients were bingoing all the time
they were marking any pancakes not B pancakes, any coke not G coke
the social worker was upset that she had to explain how to play Bingo
well, it's been a long, long time since some of those patients played Bingo
we have dollars for good phos. numbers, I have yet to receive one
there is no interest in it during my treatment
and the prizes you get are crap
 :rant;
make us feel like helpless children and you will always see results-------NOT

mark m

« Reply #431 on: April 06, 2008, 01:15:07 PM »

I hate it when I get a cup of coffee at work and someone asks me, "Can you drink coffee"? I just want to kill them...  :Kit n Stik;

Life is good.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #432 on: April 06, 2008, 03:57:24 PM »

Can you have that? 

Yes I can. I can eat anything I want to eat, thank you. (Asshole!)  I am an adult thank you very much!  :sarcasm;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Adam_W
Elite Member

Me with Baron von Fresenius

« Reply #433 on: April 06, 2008, 06:34:59 PM »

Oh, and we can't forget the humiliating childish pamhlets they hand us featuring cute little cartoony pictures and smiling old people who supposedly love dialysis. Oh yeah, and the humiliating actiities they use to try and make us perfectly compliant little angels: Contests for perfect attendance,

I really hated that crap they had and given out. I told the dietician and Social Worker there what I thought about it. A couple people started clapping when I told them what I thought. Then there was the stupid smiley or frown face stickers for lab results. Give me the fricken lab values in real numbers, not kiddie crap!
When my home nurse gave me my annual Davita (Duh-vita) Christmas present, which was a pair of blue and yellow SOCKS with a li'l yellow Duh-vita star on them, I looked at her and said "Thank you, but I just have to say it, these things are absolutely retarded!" I was expecting her to just shrug her shoulders and change the subject or something, but she looked straight at me and said "Oh geeze you are not lying, those things are pathetic."  :banghead;

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)
-Started in-centre dialysis Feb 6th 2007 (Fres. 2008H)
-Started home hemo June 5th 2007 (NxStage/Pureflow)
-PD catheter placed June 6th 2008 (Bye bye NxStage, at least for now)
-Started CAPD July 4th, 2008
-PD catheter removed Dec 2, 2008-PD just wouldn't work, so I'm back on NxStage
-Kidney function improved enough to go off dialysis, Feb. 2011!!!!!
-Back on dialysis (still NxStage) July 2011 :(
-In-centre self-care dialysis March 2012 (Fresenius 2008K)
-Not on transplant list yet.

"Don't live for dialysis, use dialysis to LIVE"
Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #434 on: April 06, 2008, 06:40:27 PM »

When my home nurse gave me my annual Davita (Duh-vita) Christmas present, which was a pair of blue and yellow SOCKS with a li'l yellow Duh-vita star on them, I looked at her and said "Thank you, but I just have to say it, these things are absolutely retarded!" I was expecting her to just shrug her shoulders and change the subject or something, but she looked straight at me and said "Oh geeze you are not lying, those things are pathetic." Oh, and lets not forget the "slogan" at the top of those stupid little "comic" things. "The first day of the rest of your life" Oh yeah, rub it in that a lot of us are going to be tethered to a bloody machine for the REST OF OUR LIVES"  :banghead;

Adam

-Diagnosed with ESRD (born with one kidney, hypertension killed it) Jan 21st, 2007
-Started dialysis four days later in hospital (Baxter 1550-I think, then Gambro Phoenix)

Adam_W
Elite Member

« Reply #435 on: April 06, 2008, 06:42:21 PM »

Pardon my last post being messed up. I hit the quote tab instead of the edit tab.  :oops;

Adam

KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #436 on: April 06, 2008, 07:49:45 PM »

This wasn't said, but done, and I've gotta share.

Last May, I went to a convention for dialysis patients, and they had door prizes throughout the day, and of course the vendors had all sorts of freebies. One of the door prize baskets had two 32 ounce water bottles in it! One of the freebies given away by the company that makes Hectorol were 24 ounce water bottles. What were these people thinking??  :Kit n Stik; Oh yeah, they weren't!  :banghead;

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #437 on: April 06, 2008, 07:59:08 PM »

Why does a cop always ask
"Do you know why I pulled you over?"
Well duuhhhh :Kit n Stik;  Could it be I was speeding or did you just pull me over to say Hi! and wanted some small chit chat. :rofl;

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #438 on: April 07, 2008, 07:31:58 PM »

Well duuhhhh :Kit n Stik;  Could it be I was speeding or did you just pull me over to say Hi! and wanted some small chit chat. :rofl;

Chris, you are a comedian ;D
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #439 on: April 07, 2008, 08:02:13 PM »

I asked my husband (a cop) this. He gave a fairly long answer, but essentially, it's because sometimes you've only been pulled over for a minor traffic violation, but you might say something about those outstanding warrants against you.  ;)

~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #440 on: April 08, 2008, 08:20:05 AM »

Or if you're really stupid you might say "Because of the person in my trunk?  uh, heh heh heh"

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #441 on: April 08, 2008, 09:25:13 AM »

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #442 on: April 08, 2008, 12:27:54 PM »

I told a nurse that my son was accepted at Colorado College of the Minds, she wanted to know if he would be performing at the circus......
Why hellooooo, of course, we are sending our son to an Ivy League college to perform at a circus...

He wants to play for A&M, so now I have to change all those Aggie jokes.

Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #443 on: April 08, 2008, 02:36:25 PM »

I was with a group of ten women last week and one of them starts spouting off about how we have all been so lucky to be in good health at our age with no
major bouts of health problems. I felt like saying,"Speak for yourself. Did you forget about my battle with kidney disease?" Apparently she : A) did forget; or
B) didn't think my health issues were a major problem. After all, I look healthy, don't I? What do I have to do to make people realize? I thought I already had
made it perfectly clear to this group of women just how difficult my health has been. But when they see you looking O.K. for so long and if I don't talk about it
every time (Which I loathe doing), then people perceive me as being healthy and just like them. I suppose I could look on the bright side and be grateful I  am
so good at covering for myself.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #444 on: April 08, 2008, 02:52:47 PM »

Sunny and let me say now, I love your duck. I have a similar comment. I worked with a teacher for three years and we became great friends.
She left to teach in Willis and came back after 7 years. When she saw me she wanted to know if I was over "my little kidney problem". She knew all about my disease ??? Nope, I still have my little kidney problem, only it is worse.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #445 on: April 08, 2008, 03:31:33 PM »

A colleague (male originally from Corsica) asked me once if I it was possible to have sex while hooked up to dialysis.  The question was so stupid and actually incomprehensible to me that I thought he'd made a mistake in his english since it was his second language.  So I asked him to repeat the question in french and sure enough there it was again.  Moronic or what.

I also knew two kids who were very very different in their reactions to seeing me hooked up and we had talked about the purpose for dialysis.  They were both about 7 at the time.  One boy said "that would be great saving all the time you spend peeing" and the other (who probably should have been evaluated for depression) said quietly "if I had to do that I'd just kill myself".

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #446 on: April 09, 2008, 12:01:28 PM »

"if I had to do that I'd just kill myself".

Out of the mouths of babes come the truth.    Cute story.

KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #447 on: April 09, 2008, 02:10:02 PM »

"if I had to do that I'd just kill myself".

Out of the mouths of babes come the truth.    Cute story.

Actually, I would be pretty concerned about a 7 year old saying this.

~~~~~~~
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #448 on: April 09, 2008, 02:20:43 PM »

Exactly right.  I was concerned and am serious about him being quite depressed about his own life.  He's now about 33 but I've lost touch although I've heard he's doing OK.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #449 on: April 10, 2008, 09:05:40 AM »

Maybe I read it differently.  What I meant was that they say what they are feeling when they are feeling it.  I don't know if I would have immediately jumped to "depression" if this kid said it to me.  I'm sure the thoughts going through his/her mind while looking at the machine and seeing everything she was going through hit him/her as serious and that he/she would never want to live that way.  I hope I didn't offend by laughing!  Definitely not my intension!  :)

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 71 Go Up Print 
« previous next »