I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:04:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  POLL: Causes of kidney failure / disease - Please see if yours is shown here.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: POLL: Causes of kidney failure / disease - Please see if yours is shown here.  (Read 139926 times)
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #250 on: March 12, 2014, 11:12:28 AM »

... it is my experience that very often ESRF is due to several different components:
in my case it is chronic proliferative glomerulonephritis with Systemic Lupus flare-ups
plus Mixed Connective Tissue disease... and regular flare-ups of MCTD....
...whenever I suffer from a flare-up... my kidneys have suffered as a result...
and now I am in ESRF in a very serious way and perhaps it would be better for me
to admit to dialysis... and get on with it... as well as I can manage....

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
LisaBart

« Reply #251 on: July 04, 2014, 10:55:38 PM »

Pauci Immune Crescentic Glomerulonephritis anca positive -- it took me a long time to learn to say all that.
Or - ? cause being chemical poisoning - anyone else?
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #252 on: August 13, 2014, 01:51:46 AM »

A new neighbor of mine was put in the hospital last week due to extremely high potassium. I knew he had kidney disease and when I saw him this evening I asked how he felt and what he thought he might have been doing to get the potassium that high, or was it just one of those things. He replied that he has a very rare type of kidney disease, the name of which he could not pronounce. Later some one mentioned that since he was on his 4th diet coke, maybe that had something to do with it. He said no, in fact, his neph told him that he should not drink water anyways. Whaaaaaaat???? Do any of you folks know what type he may have or does any one think my leg is being pulled?????

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #253 on: August 13, 2014, 02:12:58 AM »

Jean, I believe that is a very new one to me as well and I have never ever heard a neph mentioning to drink Coke instead of water...
... it does not sound believable to me...
LisaBart, could you please tell us what sort of chemical poisoning took place in your case?
Do you live an an industrial area and a leak took place and "invested" the area?
Thanks from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
LisaBart

« Reply #254 on: August 13, 2014, 02:33:55 AM »

Kristina,
Alan is/was a plumber.  Here we still use solvents and glues to clean and glue pvc pipes for drainage..apparently USA & UK they no longer use these solvents.
When he was an apprentice as an initiation he was actually painted over his torso with these poisons...this was of course many years ago...but did this start his psoriais, neuropathy & kidney failure?
I would say there is a fair chance it did, plus using them over the next 15-20 years.
He's been plodding along putting his dialysis off....been at 7% the past month.....he has a neph appointment tomorrow so I rang today to get his blood results and he has dropped to 5%, creatinine 863 which is up from 690 4 weeks ago.  So I sat down and told him, tomorrow you must make the decision..they have a chair for you, (clinic is 8 minutes away by car) they are about to have staff cuts and if we lose the chair, then we may need to travel 1.5 hr to another clinic.  I need to go away in 5 weeks for a week, and i'd feel better knowing he has settled into dialysis.
So, it will be a life changing appointment for him tomorrow !!
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #255 on: August 13, 2014, 04:15:23 AM »

Thanks, LisaBart for your kind explanation,

I am very sorry that Alan had to risk his health because of his work
and I shall keep my fingers crossed for you both tomorrow !
I do hope Alan makes the right decision for you both at the appointment tomorrow...
and I do wish you both good luck and all the best from Kristina.

-   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
ProStreetCamaro

« Reply #256 on: October 16, 2014, 01:34:08 PM »

My wifes was due to Sarcoidosis. Very rare for it to attack the kidneys.
malibu1

« Reply #257 on: October 19, 2014, 06:40:24 AM »

Other: Membranous glomeruloniphritus
PaulBC

« Reply #258 on: January 13, 2015, 01:00:46 PM »

I don't think that C3 glomerulonephritis was covered in the survey, though there may be some similar illnesses. I realize it is very rare.
pianoflute2

« Reply #259 on: March 24, 2015, 01:25:38 PM »

My brother has Wegeners Granulomatosis
kasey

« Reply #260 on: November 19, 2015, 07:57:44 AM »

Age!

Shouldn't this be a potential cause?

I suspect this is the cause of my grand uncle's kidney failure.  He turns 95 in January and he is now doing outpatient dialysis 3x a week after an emergency room visit to diagnose renal failure.  I'm honestly not sure how long he will be able to keep this up.  Yesterday was his 3rd day of outpatient D and it was really hard for him.  He can hardly stand and getting him there is a monumental task.  All in all he was relatively healthy and I have to wonder if the natural dying process started with kidney failure for him.  The good news, he is not afraid.  He has had a wonderful life and he has a wonderful view of hospice, in case he chooses to stop dialysis and stay home. 

On a side note, been reading a lot of posts on a lot of different topics.  I take my hat off to all of you.  Patients, caregivers, family.  I have learned a lot in the past two weeks.  And mostly what I will take away from this board is how caring, supportive, optimistic and honest people are.  These are difficult cards to be dealt and I have huge respect that everyone really tries to maintain a positive attitude and those who struggle find such strong, nonjudgmental support from the rest of you.   

I wish all of you the best!!! You all deserve it.
Blake nighsonger

« Reply #261 on: November 21, 2015, 06:05:57 AM »

Lithium toxicity
bjp81757

« Reply #262 on: December 17, 2015, 08:54:46 AM »

Twenty years of NSAIDS for arthritis. Not one single doctor told me what I was doing to myself. Labs every month for years and it wasn't until I started seeing my present Rhuematologist that the subject cam up, by then damage done. Isn't there something about first do no harm.
Dualref

« Reply #263 on: May 25, 2016, 08:55:25 PM »

The cause of my kidney failure wasn't listed. It should be RPF (Retroperitonital Fibrosis). It's pretty rare.
Bluebutterfly

« Reply #264 on: August 01, 2016, 04:52:54 PM »

Reflux caused my kidneys to fail. Should have been fixed
When I was a kid... No one did anything including parents, doctors and
A children's home.
Mindy

« Reply #265 on: September 02, 2016, 12:02:33 PM »

I did not look thru all of the pages sorry. But I am wondering if anyone has  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branchio-oto-renal_syndrome  If so what are your signs of the disease. Thank you

Mindy
thegringo44

« Reply #266 on: March 22, 2017, 06:55:02 AM »

Anca Negative Pauci-Immune Crescentic Glomerulonephritis. Eventually inflammation led to scarring and my diagnosis changed to FSGS.
ClarkWard

« Reply #267 on: April 16, 2017, 06:02:30 AM »

Anorexia and just an eating disorder in general. This was my friend.

:)
SKS

I'm the caregiver, SO since 2005 on D 2016

« Reply #268 on: August 09, 2017, 08:41:04 AM »

Agent orange which led to Diabetes and High Blood Pressure
mholiver

good pilots have a great wingman

« Reply #269 on: August 15, 2017, 04:54:52 PM »

bipolar which led to unhealthy eating which led to type 2 diabetes and hypertension

let's be safe and be careful out there
best to all,
Mike in Nawlins'
Mr.T

« Reply #270 on: September 14, 2017, 12:45:53 PM »

Re: poll
dealt with nasty solvents  for to many years. Mr.T
karlen

« Reply #271 on: October 06, 2017, 10:44:58 AM »

Polycystic Kidney Disease

IOnlyGet5

« Reply #272 on: November 02, 2017, 10:21:53 PM »

I was diagnosed with stage 3 ckd 2 years ago. Now in in end stage renal failure & about to start peritoneal dialysis.  Ten years ago my son unexpectedly died & I stopped caring about everything, including my Type II diabetes.

After a few years of uncontrolled diabetes I started losing weight for no reason & my legs started swelling, my urine turned frothy & my frequent headaches increased.  I told my doctor all this - plus that urologist said i had too much protein in my urine - but nothing was done. Apparently my b.p. was going up but my doctor attributed it to "white coat syndrome" for over a year. It wasn't until I was diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension that they found I had ckd.  I had severe proteinuria & was sent to a nephrologist.
Old Fool

« Reply #273 on: November 06, 2017, 09:13:12 AM »

BPH can initiate a chain reaction that leads to kidney disease.  The enlarged prostate causes a bladder infection, which in turn causes a kidney infection, which can advance rapidly and easily be misdiagnosed.

Two words: Inevitable and irreversible
Paul
Elite Member

That's another fine TARDIS you got me into Stanley

« Reply #274 on: November 14, 2017, 08:22:10 AM »

You really need a checkbox not a radio button for the poll, as some of us have more than one cause. In my case: main cause: high blood pressure. Made worse by: diabetes, Last straw that finally killed the kidneys: other (bone virus).

Whoever said "God does not make mistakes" has obviously never seen the complete bog up he made of my kidneys!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »